Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It was fantastic. The last hour was haunting and the final shot with DeNiro wanting the door open a crack, like Hoffa did in the hotel suite, made me tear up.

Also, I'm absolutely going to be one of those douchebags who calls it I Heard You Paint Houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Cacator posted:

God drat Pesci is good in this. So soft spoken yet you feel the weight behind every word.

Pesci was my favourite performance in the film, but Pacino was also the best he's been in... decades? The conversation between the two of them at Frank's party.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

If you think the more accurate movie is the better one, sure.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Riptor posted:

I think you're being very generous

It's literally the text of the film. An entire section of the end of the film is devoted to the fact that she won't talk.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Budgie Jumping posted:

Action can’t act for poo poo but I LOVE that casting decision.

They should've cast Slaine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man, I keep thinking about Hoffa's death. Pacino is heartbreaking in that last moment.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BiggerBoat posted:

I think he understood perfectly.

Yeah, I think it's his confusion and kind of halfhearted and way-too-late attempt to try to fix that relationship that's so effective. "It's what it is" just isn't a good answer when the question is "why were you a bad, distant father?"

Speaking of, Marin Ireland did some great work in that scene where Frank is asking if there's anything he can do to make it up to his daughters.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 3, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the de-ageing because I didn't really care or think about how old they were supposed to be, just how old they were relative to narrator Frank. It worked in that regard.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Taear posted:

The problem is that most of the time it all looked like they were the same ages - over 60.

I dunno. There was narrator Frank, trip with Russ and the wives Frank, and younger than that Frank. It worked fine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I guess "how young he was supposed to be" just wasn't a thing I cared about. I definitely laughed the couple of times Pesci called him "kid" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

With all due respect, the movie seems to have been well-received, so I don't actually think it would have been better as a miniseries.

I also don't think a lot more screentime for minor characters like Jesse Plemmons and Crazy Joe is necessary at all. Anna Paquin's role has kind been discussed to death.