Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

The blue eyes were infinitely worse than the deaging. DeNiro looks like he has advanced glaucoma in a couple scenes, on top of having like 4 seperate eye colors.
Between this and the consistent blur around the eyes, and the old man body, I felt like I was watching an animated corpse.
I tried to un-see it, but much like the awful Rogue One face-mapping, it was the only thing I could see.

I bounced off the movie about 90minutes in. Which is a shame, because the rest of the movie (the parts that aren't just DeNiro's face up close) was good. I'd love to see this film made without all this nonsense - has literally anyone ever cared about different actors playing people at a younger age? Does anyone think DeNiro is SO GOOD they couldn't hire a younger actor and just age him up?
Or hell, just not structure the film this way?
Pacino was also pretty much just "shouty man" as he often is. I didn't mind it too much, of what I saw, except in the office scene where it's painfully obvious he's cracked up between takes. Didn't want to go for another take? Or for the grocery scene? Or for any of the times ~30 year old DeNiro has visibly shaky knees?

This film has annoyed me, because I wanted to like it. Maybe I'll do the opposite of Scorsese's wishes and deliberately watch it on a phone so the CGI doesn't completely ruin the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

pospysyl posted:

In the Netflix featurette Scorcese explained that by de-aging the actors he could ensure the continuity of each character's interpretation, and I found that persuasive. If you have two actors playing the same character they're inevitably going to have different approaches and thoughts as to the character's personal thoughts, ideology, and mannerisms. That could be interesting, but I found the continuity in The Irishman to be powerful. For instance, one of the themes of the movie is that Sheeran cannot change and adapt, but if you had different actors playing him he obviously would change.
I feel like if you do this with relatively unknown actors, people pretty much just accept it. Moonlight should be all you need to see for that to ring true.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The editing is pretty bad in places, presumably because the first cut was over 4hrs and they had to get liberal with it.
There's also a few shots where DeNiro's face goes to a sharp angle vs the camera, and the de-aging falls off (especially in the opening truck scene; he looks down and his nose doubles in size) and more than a few Pacino moments where it looks like 'cut' has already been called before the cut stops - he stops emoting in the last frames.
I saw these on a first watch, and I wasn't looking for them - how does this kind of thing get through?

There's also some weirdness around the picture quality in the film. Given there's noise over their CGI faces, and it's consistent with the rest of it, I suspect they've used digital de-noising on the whole image, and then added noise back in artificially. There's just a consistent 'digital' feel to what is apparently a film mostly shot on 35mm.