Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't mind the run time at all and really dug the sad, sentimental approach that Scorcese took...a sort of "all this is meaningless" take on it. It's over. And "how much money is enough?" Hoffa could have walked away and been set for life. Any of them could have. But they don't. Just greed, power and killing.

I generally agree with your post, but I don't think the greed, power and killing is their goal. Not for them, at least. I think the whole movie's point is that these men are just doing their job, which is stuck in their brain ever since the war, if only to be able to deal with it all. "I've worked for 44 years!".
The grave scene was particularly well done I think; both sides show their version of "I just have to do my job". Be it shooting, or digging. Neither party really understands it, but it's how it is.
There's quite a few of these scenes and reasoning, even how they "try to help" Hoffa. They simply can't come to terms with someone not following the rules; You just gotta sit down with him.

Holding on to this all his life, eventually just leads to an empty life with nothing to show for. Even at the very end, he still holds on to just "do the job". Don't tell anyone, even there is literally no one left to care. His family is estranged, his "friends" are dead and no one even seems to remember anything that he thought was important. And what actually was important, doesn't want to speak with him anymore.

It's fairly bleak, fantasticy acted, but it's also a message I've taken from movies before.
This is just what I got out of it when I watched the movie, though. I might be fully missing stuff, as I'm not as aware of Hoffa's history (non-USA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU