Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really, really loved this. I feel like Scorsese's done a whole bunch of films that tell its story and then just... keeps going, so you can watch everyone involved shrivel up and fade away. They never fail to depress the gently caress out of me, and it's great. All of it was for nothing. The world moved on and barely a handful of old fucks even remember why these atrocities were committed.

I do think the de-aging was a bit of a mis-step though, and will probably not look great in 10 years time. De Niro and Pacino generally looked great - but de-aged Pesci looked sort of like a CGI monster, especially close up. I think his face is just too distinctive to convincingly fake... Maybe it's his nose. I also kept noticing that the dialogue never 100% synced up with the de-aged performances. At first I thought it was bad ADR or just the playback on my TV, but it only happened when a de-aged actor was talking, and it really bugged me. And then in one scene (during the years Hoffa was in jail) they reverted to non-CGI de-aging effects and suddenly De Niro and Pesci looked 30 years older than they did in the previous scene. It was ambitious and generally impressive but I wish they found a way around the problem that wasn't so distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vagina doesn't actually smell of fish. Hth

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vegetable posted:

The grocery store scene did look odd to me, but is it really because Robert De Niro cannot exert himself physically? The man has looked perfectly fit any time I’ve seen him.

He can by physically fit and not be able to convincingly beat the poo poo out of someone and make himself look 40 years younger while doing it. At that age you'll just naturally move with a bit of stiffness.

I don't see why they couldn't have just used a body double for that scene the same way you'd use a stunt double for anything overly exerting or dangerous.