Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I have a CONTROVERSIAL hot-take, which is that I find this movie to be kinda bland. The movie really shines at the end from the prison scene on onwards, because then the character study and investment starts paying off. This is the rare movie where the latter third is the strongest part. HOWEVER, it felt like much of this movie couldn't decide if it wanted to show off events based on the tall-tales from the book it's based on or on a larger cast of characters. It should have stayed more on Sheeran and his inner dynamics and motivations than instead of him being the cogwheel pushing the story forward.

Other less controversial viewpoints:

1. Pesci is great to the point of being oscar-worthy
2. Pacino is okay, mostly because the rally speeches didn't quite work - but speeches in general have a "gettysburg adress" effect on the big screen and are difficult to capture.
3. The de-aging was surprisingly good aside from the weird effect around the eyes, and that they're apparently too proud to use body doubles for physical stuff when they really should have.

In conclusion, Once Upon a Time in America is a better version of this movie FIGHT ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Cacator posted:

I won't fight you because I agree with you :colbert: although I disagree about the "bland" part, it's rare to see movies of this length paced so well.
Yeah I agree with that, this had excellent pacing all the way through.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

That's just part of the story that echoes the story from the book, and from the FBI Hoffa files. In the movie it's all weird because in one scene that's a devoted adopted son literally rushing a gunman for him and then he's helping him kill him...but then we learn he didn't know he was helping to kill him?? And then he disappears from the story, with no mention of how this might be an issue. This is part of the weird "movie can't decide what it wants to be" part for me. It wants to put in all these fun little pieces from the book, but the cast becomes so large it's impossible to tell it all in a coherent way even with a 3 hour + runtime.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Sheeran's claim about the murder of Hoffa is pretty interesting because there was blood found at the house right around the same spot where he said Hoffa was killed, but it was decades old so no DNA could be extracted.

I dunno, his story feels very plausible. It's a house only minutes away from where Hoffa was last seen, and in addition to the mystery blood stain that couldn't be tested, there was also a different blood stain that did have testable DNA and it wasn't Hoffa's. So the idea that this house was used multiple times to stage executions and dispose of bodies seems to line up with the evidence.

Hoffa might have been killed in a similar style, but noted drunkard and serial liar Sheeran most certainly didn't do it, or participate in the mafia-ordered execution of JFK, bribe the US attorney general, execute Joey Gallo, supply the CIA with guns, and all the other weird poo poo he claimed (which includes at least three different versions of how Hoffa died, including that the hit was ordered by Nixon and that Sheeran disposed of the body but didn't kill him). He was a crooked teamster official who did some jobs for the mob, knew Hoffa and had the ability to spin a good tale and his family got paid handsomely for it.

And honestly I bet you could find blood spatter in just about any house entrance if you rip up the floor boards and go to town, but in any case the blood wasn't Hoffas: https://web.archive.org/web/20160911081531/https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-105402906.html

Dante fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 2, 2019