Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Great movie, probably the most tragic and unglamorous look at mafia life in a long time. Scorsese doesn't mess around when it comes to showing the banality of the terrible actions and choices that the people here make - there is no dressing up how they choose to take somebody out, it's a casual and easy process; they get more excited and emotional about stealing beef from a truck.

Which made the tiny bit of emotion expressed by Frank during Hoffa's death feel very tragic, you can really see the last bit of humanity slip away from Frank as he's setting up Jimmy, and the moment where Jimmy realizes what the house is for but doesn't realize why Frank is there, is like a slow moving train even though it happens in a couple of seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

mary had a little clam posted:

As a banal cis white dude from the suburbs, I remember growing up idolizing gangster films, or at least buying into the glamour and coolness of the wiseguy lifestyle. I'm in my late 30s now so I've kind of cooled off on stuff like that. I came into The Irishman really worried that a) I had grown apart from mobster movies and b) the 3.5 hour runtime was going to feel indulgent and wasteful.

Wrong on all accounts, I looooved this film. Didn't feel the runtime one bit. I think it made a big impact on me BECAUSE I was a dumb kid from the burbs fantasizing about being a gangster. The way the film strips away the cool factor and highlights the emptiness, the loneliness of a life of bloodshed and betrayal was heartbreaking.forever.[/spoiler]

Every guy has that part of them thinks maybe they're just a couple of steps away from being a bad mother fucker, maturity is realizing that there is a very good chance they're the ones that end up catching a bullet or getting chopped up themselves.

Scorsese's movies are always very good at portraying that: he never really has gun-fights, people die in split-second moments. I think his longest battle is in The Departed and even that is just a bunch of people dying in quick moments all in a row, there are no protracted fights with people jumping around. Bullets do not gently caress around in his movies.