Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Goddamn, this was loving amazing. The way the film builds such a sense of lived-in history that sort of rushed by me without realizing, until it all accumulated at the end like a ton of bricks and the weight of time just crushed me. Schoonmaker deserves every award, the pacing of the film is so crucial to its greatness; it manages to make three-and-a-half hours slip by right up until it decides it wants to suffocate you. It's so funereal, the way that even the glory days feel like a fantasy at best, usually portrayed with a melancholy matter-of-factness that only underlines how absolutely sad and empty and hosed these guys and their lives all are. The way Scorsese introduces each new mob figure with their date and cause of death is brutal. Saw it twice in theaters and would watch it again right now if I didn't have work in the morning.

Also, Pacino is getting a ton of attention (and rightly so!), but it was Pesci that blew me away here. So commanding, but so incredibly understated. Dude barely ever speaks above a murmur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely true that Pesci and Pacino are the main draw here but man, this was a performance unlike anything I've seen Pesci do. He can definitely walk away from this and say it was totally worth coming out of retirement for because he owns every scene he's in.

It really is impossible to pick a highlight from his performance but I do love what a grim tone-setter it is when he’s shown arriving home soaked in blood and his wife calmly tells him to get undressed while she draws a bath, and don’t forget your shoes. Mundane brutality.

I haven’t stopped thinking about this film since I first saw it (twice now, maybe a third tonight). Runaway film of the year. Late contender for film of the decade. What a blessing of a film.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think the feeling is it was Scorsese’s preferred title but not Netflix’s

yeah he clearly said gently caress it you can call it that to get it made and then ran with the original, cooler title.