Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Incredible film, Frank at the end fondling his ring, a meaningless reward for a dehumanizing, monstrous life, as the shadows close affected me more emotionally than anything I’ve seen in years.

minato posted:

The gutpunch scene for me was when Frank called Jo, sputtering the words, and as he hangs up we see the huge gold ring given to him by Russell.

I figure one of the throughlines of the movie is the conflict between this idea of what Frank was supposed to do to take care of his family and actually taking care of his family. Basically what comes out in the dialogue between Frank and Dolores. This gives us the contrast between the Peggy-Hoffa relationship and the Peggy-Russell relationship. Hoffa is on the side of genuine connections, whereas Russell is on the side of going after more money. Frank is finally set in the path of doing hits when he needs more money. The various people being introduced by their times of death underlines that what Frank is doing, what he's being a part of, is creating a world where creating these lasting bonds is impossible. And then there's the gold ring, which is contrasted with his marriage ring. During the phone call with Jo, he holds the phone with his wedding ring hand. At the end of the call, he holds up his gold ring hand to cover his mouth/the receiver and then put the phone down. He fondles the ring at the end; at the nursing home he's pointedly shown to be alone. Everyone else at the nursing home has someone, and we don't even get to see the interlocutor who he's narrating the rest of the movie to. The ring isn't just a meaningless reward, it represents his commitment to a destructive and family-destroying way of life.

With that in mind, Scorsese imbues the title "I heard you paint houses" with a lot of irony. A house-making activity is a euphemism for a home-destroying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU