Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

2010: Shinryaku! Ika Musume
2011: Yuru Yuri
2012: Yuru Yuri♪♪
2013: Kill la Kill
2014: Happiness Charge! Precure
2015: One Punch Man
2016: KonoSuba
2017: New Game!!
2018: Hugtto! Precure
2019: Kaguya-sama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Here's my objectively best list.

2010: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - loving legendary. There's a million different genres per episode and they made it work. Funny as hell.

2011: Madoka vs Nichijou - I don't know. Guess I'll pick Madoka as it's the one I've shown off to friends more.
HM - Nichijou, duh.

2012: Kokoro Connect - What can I say. I just love mind gently caress poo poo.Shin Sekai Yori Plus best girl won so I have no complaints.

2013: Shin Sekai Yori - Fantastic music and world setting. Loved this from the start. Don't be an idiot and read the manga though.

2014: Haikyuu!! - The volleyboys are great. Best sports anime since Slam Dunk.

2015: Working!!! (s3) - Perfect capstone to the series and all the payoffs that we've been looking for.

2016: Flip Flappers - Very gay, very cute.
HM - Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, Thunderbolt Fantasy,

2017: Land of the Lustrous - Beautiful, and the camera work's masterful. Made 3D anime great for once.
HM - Princess Principal, Girls' Last Tour

2018: A Place Further Than The Universe - I don't think I need to say much about this other than watch it if you haven't (I cried).
HM - Asobi Asobase, Harukana Receive, Hinamatsuri, Zombieland Saga. WTF, this was a stacked year.

2019 Kemurikusa - It's everything Kemono Friends is, and more.
HM - Boogiepop wa Warawanai, Yakusoku no Neverland, Kimetsu no Yaiba. Insane Winter season, then things start to fall off.

Anime of the Decade - A Place Further Than The Universe - Not much can be done to top this for me. The most dramatic moments and the funniest laughs, not to mention some of the best character growth ever. And that moment in Episode 12... I still get shivers thinking about that moment.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to the time period of Summer 2017 to Winter 2018. First Princess Principal, then Land of the Lustrous and Girls' Last Tour, and capping everything off with A Place Further Than The Universe. I was hooked for more every week.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh man I am looking at the dates of these shows and thinking "No, no that can't be right"
I'm still telling people to watch some of these like they just came out. There is so much drat TV these days between anime and streaming services and HBO and I just have to be ok with not being able to keep up
However the one show that has reminded me what it was like to be in Highschool and just geek out over cool lines and poses people said was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

-Every part being it's own self contained arc helps the show have actual beginnings and endings, something that every Shounen show I started when I was 13 eventually collapsed because of
-The show somehow becoming a nonstop meme generation station

I guess it's a way too late adaptation of a very old manga so maybe I just don't like new things? But I had started reading the manga a very long time ago and liked it but ultimately things like the pillar men bursting out going WHAAAMU and ayayayayaaaaa playing in the background just make the show come together

I also will NOT stop recommending it to my friends who like shounen bullshit bad shows and refuse to watch it COME ON

Wark Say posted:

• 2016: Konosuba Alcest's beautiful album-length remake of Mononoke Hime, Kodama

Is that really what it is? Alcest was easily one of my favorite bands like, 12 years ago and I liked this album but did not realize

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is that really what it is? Alcest was easily one of my favorite bands like, 12 years ago and I liked this album but did not realize
While I'm being a giant dork about it (big fuckin' surprise), Alcest's main guy Neige straight up admitted that, along with wanting to do stuff more sonically in the vein of releases like Le Secret and Souvenirs d'un autre monde, that the narrative of "the natural world vs the human world" the album has going was heavily inspired by the movie. And it's really, really hard not to let the powerful, evocative sonic soundscapes take you there.

While probably better albums came out in 2016, nothing ever came close for me wrt losing oneself in a completely different world. It's up there with Isis' Oceanic, Thrice's Illusion of Safety, Envy's A Dead Sinking Story, Pretty Girls Make Graves The New Romance, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods, Fugazi's The Argument, Saosin's Translating the Name, Explosions in the Sky's The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place, Poison the Well's You Come Before You, Car Bomb's Meta, The Dillinger Escape Plan's Option Paralysis and Every Time I Die's Low Teens as part of guitar-driven records from the 21st Century that made me look at my guitar tone and wonder "gently caress, shouldn't I be worrying less about tone-chasing and buying gear I don't need and making awesome music first and foremost?". 2016 in general was a really good year for those type of records for me, and Kodama was the cream of the crop for that.

Also that list ain't nowhere near as final, please don't read too much into my guitar dorkery. :shobon:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Okay, let's do this.

Caveats: I'm going to mention a couple per year, because rules aren't real. I'll put an asterisk next to the best one of the year. Long running series are "from" the first eligible year they were in. A lot of the earlier ones I watched later, because I had terrible taste in 2010. I'm not looking up how to spell anything.

Panty and Stocking - Do I need to explain what this one is? Actually, maybe by 2019 I do, but I'll leave that to other people
Bakemonogatari* (The first season aired late 2009- early 2010, it counts) - Standing in for the whole *monogatari series which, airing from 2009 until this year, is quite literally the anime of this decade. Monogatari is... something. It contains all the best and many of the worst aspects of anime as a whole, all wrapped up in a weird art film. I'm a long way from what I think is this show's target audience, but parts of it spoke to me in a way few other things ever had (and probably not always in the way the creators intended). Monogatari is Good Anime.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica* - I know it's become internet-fashionable to say Madoka was over-rated for one reason or another. This is silly, Madoka was amazing. (More controversially: Rebellion was also good)
Stein's Gate - I'm a sucker for a good high-concept scifi story.
Tiger and Bunny - Hot guys are corporate superheroes. This deserves to be more popular than it seems to be now (I guess that's Hero Academia's fault)
Fate/whatever (represented here by Zero, but including at least UBW, the Heaven's Feel movies and Case Files) - An insanely popular franchise based on a nominally erotic visual novel about wizards, which I mention only because I'm amused by the idea of some future media historian having to work out how that happened.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - (Again, representing the whole series. If this wasn't broken down by year, part 4 would definitely be in the top 10 anime of the decade.) Fabulous men do extremely dramatic things. Sometimes it's amusingly over the top, sometimes it's genuinely extremely well-written. Sometimes these are the same times.
Symphogear - Gay megucas punch things while singing.
Psycho-pass (just the first season, though I've heard good things about season 3) - I'm a sucker for a good high-concept scifi story
Shin sekai yori - See psycho-pass, but with more of a horror feel.
Humanity has declined -paradogs

Log Horizon* - The First Good Isekai. A story that understands what people really want out of fantasy: pedantically exploring the implications of your world-building. I'm not remotely kidding.
Samurai Flamenco - Did a lot. Not all of it well, but points for effort
Gatchaman Crowds - Probably a bit dated by now, but had a lot to say at its time

Space Dandy* - Amazing, hugely ambitious collaborative work of animation with a life-affirming message about how all things are ultimately pointless. Averages about four apotheoses a season.
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - comedy is hard to justify. This is funny
Chaika - yes, Chaika

Yona of the Dawn - Shojo historical adventure thing. The setting is vaguely Korean, which is an interesting change.
Ore Monogatari* - Heartwarming rom-com
One Punch Man (first season only) - parody superhero show is actually very good superhero show.

Konosuba* - Yes, the genre parody was the best example of it's type. Extremely funny (and remarkably consistent charsacter writing, not that that really matters here)
Re zero - Dumb waifu isekai show made me feel real emotions.
Mob Psycho 100 - Probably the best "dodgy father figure and psychic child" show, but Hinamatsuri didn't have to compete with Konosuba
Flip Flappers - the best brightly coloured dimension-hopping show since Space Dandy. That's no small praise.
Thunderbolt Fantasy - Is anime. Fight me.

Made in Abyss - Yeah, I know it's creepy, welcome to anime. But this show was genuinely beautiful, even when it was horrible. It felt like a love-letter to curiosity itself, even as it acknowledged the costs.
Houseki no Kuni* - quoting myself from 2 years ago: "Almost perfect. Beautiful, but in all the ways, Abyss wasn't; washed-out, bleak, agoraphobic. Some of the best action scenes I've ever seen in animation."
The Saga Of Tanya The Evil - this is how you write a villain protagonist.
Net-juu no Susume - best MMO show since Log Horizon, in a very different way.

Hinamatsuri* - Probably the best comedy in a year full of great ones.
Jashin-chan Dropkick - because Nyaruko-san wasn't on earlier, and you need to know I'm trash.
Zombieland saga - A good show. A good idol show.

2019 (provisional)
Machikado Mazoku* - Silly gay demon show makes me happy. Adorable.
The Promised Neverland - Tense thriller, for kids.
Kemurikusa - (can I count the original Kemono Freinds in with this? No? Okay...) Truly unique apocalypse story, made on a budget of two yen and a rock.

A list of things that should probably be up there somewhere, but weren't the best in their particular years and/or would make me look worse than I already do: Kara no Kyuokai, Nyaruko-san, Inferno Cop, Maoyuu, Little Witch Acadamia, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Watamote, Witch Craft Works, Jitsu wa watashi wa, Yuri On Ice, Flying Witch, Maid Dragon, Kemono Friends, Demi-chan wants to talk, Violet Evergarden, Citrus, Yuru Camp, Rascal does not dream of..., Pop Team Epic, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Beastars, Dr Stone.

Anime of the decade: It's going to have to be Monogatari. I didn't think I was some kind of super-fan, but there's a reason I had to impose a "every show only gets one year" rule. There are parts of this series that have left me feeling things for weeks. If somehow you haven't tried watching this decade-long show about sad teens and ghosts and have a high tolerance for some of the medium's worse habits, give this a shot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
2010: Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt - Not even close. One of maybe 5 anime where the dub outshines the original Japanese. Honorable Mentions: FMA: Brotherhood; Tatami Galaxy.

2011: Steins;Gate - This was honestly my "Year of Anime" for the decade. I had so many shows come out this year that I still recommend to people. Madoka is getting all the love, so I'm going to give the point to my other favorite: the best science adventure anime adaptation and another show where the dub is arguably better than the original. Honorable Mentions: Madoka; Penguindrum; Nichijou; Fate/Zero; Tiger & Bunny; Usagi Drop. I would recommend any of these six over a lot of the AotY for the rest of the decade.

2012: Fate/Zero (S2) - Started the insane series of UFOTable Fate adaptations, and put UFOTable on my radar as a studio. Made me go back and watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies which were also loving phenomenal. This was also a great year for anime. Honorable Mentions: Daily Lives of High School Boys; Joshiraku; Mirai Nikki; Nekomonogatari + Nisemonogatari; Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun; Humanity has Declined.

2013: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency - Similar to last year, this was an amazing adaptation that put David Productions on my radar and started the insane series of Jojo animes. Honorable Mentions: INFERNO COP; Monogatari Second Season; Devil is a Part-Timer;

2014: Ping Pong - Phenomenal. That is all I have to say. Honorable Mentions: F/SN Unlimited Blade Works; Jojo Stardust Crusaders; Hunter x Hunter. Echoing what people said 5 years ago, allowing split cour shows was kind of dumb. Hunter x Hunter is a closer top choice than it might seem. It is the only shounen show that I've watched multiple times from start to finish.

2015: Shirobako - This was a tough call w/ One-Punch Man, Stardust Crusaders, and Your Lie, but hindsight is giving this one to Shirobako just from how unexpectedly great it turned out to be. Your Lie in April was a close third behind OPM. Honorable Mentions: Jojo Stardust Crusaders (S2); F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works (S2); One-Punch Man; Your Lie in April; Owarimonogatari.

2016: Osomatsu-san - I'm using this as my chance to prop up the underappreciated greatness of Japanese comedy. Most of my honorable mentions were just as good (and Mob Psycho 100 is likely better, but I will save my gushing on that until 2019). Honorable Mentions: Mob Psycho 100; Jojo Diamond is Unbreakable; Re:Zero; Space Patrol Luluco; Konosuba.

2017: Konosuba (S2) - I loved these idiots way more than I was expecting. This actually wasn't on my original list because I didn't get around to watch both seasons until 2019, but yeah. Honorable Mentions: March Comes in Like a Lion (more on this next year); Fate/Apocrypha; Owarimonogatari (S2); Saga of Tanya the Evil; F/SN - Heaven's Feel (presage flower). (I will freely admit that I have yet to watch Land of the Lustrous. But it is on my list.)

2018: March Comes in Like a Lion - Great character drama with amazing acting and another example of SHAFT's insane animation quality. This season particularly was gut-wrenching and hit me in all the right places. Overall 2018 was pretty great and probably has the highest number of quality shows of any year in the decade despite not having as many slam dunks as 2011. Honorable Mentions: Aggretsuko; Attack on Titan (S3); Fate/Extra: Last Encore; Megalobox; Osomatsu-san (S2); Shoujo Kageki Review Starlight; SSSS.Gridman; Steins;Gate 0; Violet Evergarden.

2019: Mob Psycho 100 (S2) - Probably Anime of the Decade for me. Great characters, touching exploration of the human condition, insane action. This show has it all. Honorable Mentions: Kaguya-sama Love is War; Attack on Titan (S3, part 2); Lord El-Mellio II Case Files; Fate/GO - Babylonia; F/SN - Heaven's Feel (lost butterfly). Still Need to Watch: Carole & Tuesday; No Guns Life.

Anime of the Decade: Mob Psycho 100. I honestly don't know if this is just because season 2 is so fresh in my memory, but it is hard to find another show that is of the highest quality in basically all respects that I would also be willing to recommend to any rando on the street. The show is incredible, and I can't wait for season 3.

Other notes: Fate is my jam if that isn't obvious as hell. Attack on Titan (especially the last season) is being horrifically underrated by those who've posted so far (including myself). Without the 5 year gap and the sheer increase in anime production over the last 10 years, I truly believe it would be in contention for Anime IP of the Decade. A lot of the items on my lists are held back by their ability to be recommended to others. This is the biggest hindrance to Jojo and the Bakemonogatari series. You have to enjoy a very specific type of anime to enjoy either of these, but I consider them the pinnacles of their respective genres. That being said, I should probably give a bigger shoutout to Usagi Drop. It was so good, my non-otaku family enjoyed it. It will forever be the best single dad anime (at least until Yotsuba& gets a proper adaptation).

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 30, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

2010: Heartcatch Precure

A consistently inventive, vibrant series with a distinctive artstyle and lovable characters. led to the heartcatch precure movie, which owns.

2011: its loving madoka

2012: Girls und Panzer

The greatest sports anime ever made, filled with wildly good comedic timing and the most gripping small-scale tactics you'll ever see in anime.

2013: its loving monogatari

2014: Wixoss

A beautiful series about the bonds and love between girls and how society tries to force them into conflict. Has Akilucky.

2015: The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls

A gripping drama about well-defined characters struggling to find something that makes them happy. Except Kanako and Chieri, they're kind of poorly defined. Also features some of the best direction you're likely to find in a TV anime.

2016: rezero i guess

2017: is it too late to go back and give symphogear 2012

2018: its a place further than the universe

2019: granbelm was pretty good, you guys should go watch granbelm

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
houseki no kuni i guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh and anime of the decade is sword art online

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
sword art......offline

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and the anime that best represents the decade is overlord, because its an mmo isekai with a gimmicky mc, a lot of violence, and people who arent hardcore anime nerds like it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also terrible cg animation! Can't forget that!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Attack on Titan can give SAO a run for their money as far as "anime repping the 2010's" goes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I feel like Attack on Titan can give SAO a run for their money as far as "anime repping the 2010's" goes.

it feels like sao's had more staying power + more actual like, growth/evolution

like its 2019 and sao is still v. popular and is bringing in new fans, attack on titan feels like most of its current fans are the same people who were super into s1

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
SAO also has the advantage of generating the most youtube content with people ripping on it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New Game season 2, Tiger and Bunny, Symphogear, and ACCA 13 were good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 2, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

it feels like sao's had more staying power + more actual like, growth/evolution

like its 2019 and sao is still v. popular and is bringing in new fans, attack on titan feels like most of its current fans are the same people who were super into s1
Also probably aided by the fact it had a better schedule rolling out stuff. Like:
  • 2012 first season
  • 2013, a long-ish OVA
  • 2014, second season.
  • 2015 a second OVA, IIRC?
  • 2017 the movie.
  • 2018 Alicization S1 / Gun Gale Online.
  • 2019 Alicization S2
Dunno about AoT though, because, while nowhere near as popular as, say Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya Caballeros del Zodiaco, I know AoT has continued getting pretty loving popular in LatAm.

e: Forgot about GGO

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 2, 2019

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

2010: Tatami Galaxy - Probably the most important thing that got me back into anime after not giving a poo poo for most of my teens.

2011: Nichijou - I've cooled a lot on Nichijou since I've seen it, but it's still features some of the best comedic timing in anime. Read the manga!

2012: Milky Holmes s2 - The funniest anime of the 10s, featuring the best and dumbest drawings of a bunch of idiots. I actually stopped watching this season half-way through when I realized the future seasons didn't have the same director, because I didn't want to run out of Milky Holmes so soon.

2013:Non Non Biyori - This is more for the second season, but NNB is one of the sweetest, most thoughtful things I've seen that depicts childhood. gently caress anyone who says it's boring, even in a joking way, the show is filled with warmth and hilarious moments.

2014: Ping Pong - I think about that the match where the guy from the elite school who rediscovers his love for ping pong while playing against Hoshino a lot. Beautifully depicted, really soaring stuff.

2015: Sound! Euphonium - Kumiko is the most relatable character in anime

2016: Mob Psycho 100 - Reigen is unfortunately the most relatable character in anime

2017: Kizumonogatari III - The best -gatari for firmly drilling down into Araragi's insecurities and establishing something darker than the rest ever achieves. also he should have touched the boobs

2018: Liz and the Blue Bird - Oh, just probably the best thing of the decade. Yamada is a master of body language and her sensitivity towards her characters is amazing. She's one of the best filmmakers of this generation, and not just in anime. The loss at KyoAni studios is heartbreaking, but I look forward to whatever Yamada does next.

2019: Hulaing Babies - Stars Align might end up replacing this in the future, but maybe not? Hulaing is just a ton of fun, short and sweet, with a ton of creativity and looseness poured into every drawing.

the anime of the decade though is teekyu, may she long reign

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
gun gays online was good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what was the worst anime this decade. was it fractale

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

what was the worst anime this decade. was it fractale
I feel like Fate is probably gonna get super slept on in this discussion and it shouldn't be

Even if you think the franchise is worth much in and of itself, ufotable has been putting in some awful loving work on it, and I'd be pretty inclined to call Fate/zero one of the worst action anime ever made (with UBW not far above it)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i consider fate the avengers of anime and i can still think of way worse anime than those

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would probably consider one of the two anime within the last two years that tore the forums apart to be the worst of the decade. You know, the slay one and the shield one.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

listen sometimes you gotta dunk even when it involves pretending the hoop is five feet to the left of where it actually is

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

2010: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

2011: Nichijou

2012: Place to Place

2013: Kyousougiga

2014: Shirobako

2015: Sound! Euphonium

2016: Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

2017: ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept

2018: A Place Further Than The Universe

2019: Kaguya-sama: Love is War

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bait of babylon

e: worst anime of the decade is pretty easily a tossup between Hand Shakers, Berserk 2016, Mahouka, Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero (depending on what specific failures you prioritize)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 2, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

come on, all these shows that get the goon eye cause theyre normie popular or just strange dont compare to the various anime for pedophiles, the poo poo fetish anime, the barely disguised hentai, the production disasters releasing without animation and so on. dig deeper!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My Sister My Writer does have the dubious honor of featuring a coded cry for help in the credits

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's the closest the 2010's have gotten to like Musashi Gundoh levels of just a disaster on the production end of things?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my sister my writer would probably be that

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

come on, all these shows that get the goon eye cause theyre normie popular or just strange dont compare to the various anime for pedophiles, the poo poo fetish anime, the barely disguised hentai, the production disasters releasing without animation and so on. dig deeper!

but i thought you liked eromanga-sensei

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a true marvel of artistry

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Alright, let's do this! I will be counting TV anime only, since movies are just such an inherently different beast in terms of production value and lasting impression that I'd rather they have their own list (which I will not be making). I will also be counting the year the show ended as its year; there have been too many anime that start out great but end in a trainwreck that sours the whole experience. I won't make THAT mistake again! (Narrator: He will.) For anime that have multiple seasons separated by a gap and made The List™, I'll give an entry for them in the year of their latest season.

2010 - The Tatami Galaxy
An anime about re-doing your college days for a better social life came out exactly when I was a college student wishing he could re-do his college days for a better social life. 'Nuff said.

Honorable Mentions
Shiki - Silly character designs aside, I actually really liked this. It's one of the few horror anime that manages to be creepy instead of laughable (looking at you, Another). And even though the "moral dilemma" is pretty clear, I did sympathize with the self-conscious awareness that the predators had for their nature and their alternative-explanation for the meaning behind "abandoned by God".

2011 - Madoka Magica
I hate the word "deconstruction" and will never use it when describing Madoka Magica, but the show did put a more realistic, grim, and interesting spin on a genre that had become over-saturated, while also offering up some of the hypest moments in the decade's anime scene. Every element of this show - the music, the artwork, the pacing, the characters, heck even the marketing - complement each other perfectly like a well-oiled machine. And while I do consider the TV Series' ending to be rock-solid and the sequel movie Rebellion's ending an emotional cliffhanger, I've warmed up to Rebellion the more I've reflected on it.

Honorable Mentions
Steins;Gate - Great chemistry between the characters, a fantastic dub, and a plot that switches seamlessly from comedy to thriller, with a rock-solid ending. I really can't ask for more.
Hyouge Mono - The Art side of "Art and War", set during Japan's unification period. Pretty great.
Mawaru Penguindrum - A symbolism-laden journey surrounding the people affected by the 1995 Sarin Gas attacks. One of the hardest anime to decipher that I've watched, but rewarding.
Anohana - Even despite the sillier melodrama happenings within the series, the ending brought tears to my eyes. You win this one, Anohana.

2012 - Hyouka
The most beautiful TV anime ever made, both in visuals and directing. KyoAni's masterpiece, in my opinion. Yes, it is somewhat slow and the stakes are low, but even despite that it makes it into my top 10 of all time.

Honorable Mentions
Fate / Zero - The only entry of the Fate series that I've actually liked. VN readers can come-at-me-bro all they want, this entry serves as proof that even silly premises can be made interesting and engaging with a skilled writer behind the helm.
Daily Lives of High School Boys - One of the few anime to make me actually "LOL IRL", as the kids say.

2013 - From The New World
I consider this to be a horror anime, with a haunting ending that made my blood boil in all the right ways. I'll say nothing more except: watch it!

Honorable Mentions
(Attack on Titan and The Eccentric family had followup seasons, so they get talked about during the latest year they aired)

2014 - Hunter X Hunter
Full disclaimer: I hate shonen anime. I hate their tropes, I hate their stock characters, I hate their Calvinball-style fight scenes. Despite all that, Hunter X Hunter managed to win me over, and I now consider it one of this decade's greats.

Honorable Mentions
Ping Pong the Animation - Biases against Yuasa's eccentric art style aside, this is as solid a sports drama as it gets.
D-Frag - The funniest anime comedy I've ever watched, with a great dub to boot. I think there was only one joke in the entire show that didn't land for me. The fact that we will never get a season 2 is a crime against nature.

2015 - Shirobako
The definitive anime-about-making-anime, this has a special place in my heart because it changed the way I watch anime. Even dumb seasonal ecchi shows that I will never, ever talk about with anyone earn a bit more respect in my books after seeing the herculean effort involved. One of the only shows where audience-awareness of the creators' presence adds to the experience.

Honorable Mentions
(Sound Euphonium gets counted as part of 2016)

2016 - Yuri on Ice
I don't like sports anime, I don't like romance anime, and homoerotic anime don't really interest me. And this show pushed through my biases like they were wax paper to claim 2016's crown.

Honorable Mentions
Re:Zero - It turns out that isekai can actually be entertaining when you remove video-game mechanics from the world and force the protagonist to actually struggle. To date, it is the only isekai I've enjoyed.
Sound Euphonium - I adore KyoAni's attention to detail, especially its background characters. You will never find better orchestra scenes than the ones this show has (including the movies entries here). Combine that with a protagonist who breaks the mold for these kind of team-underdog stories and you have yourself a fantastic anime. The only reason this isn't a 10/10 for me is because I couldn't relate to some of the more out-there drama the show has.

2017 - Made in Abyss
The best possible adaptation this could have received, almost movie-like in quality. No, I wouldn't recommend reading the manga. And to someone just watching the TV series, this show would probably be a solid "yea it's ok". I'm going to be a bit unfair here because I know which arc the sequel movie coming out soon will cover, and THAT is what elevates this series to a 10/10 for me. It just goes to show that a good story can come from even the most unlikely places.

Honorable Mentions
The Eccentric Family - Steeped in national mysticism, this anime reminds me of being a kid reading The Hobbit. At least in tone, anyways.

2018 - SSSS.Gridman
An anime that wasn't even on my radar going in to the Fall 2018 season managed to have the best ending scene in its year. THIS is how you make a sequel to a dormant decades-old franchise.

Honorable Mentions
A Place Further Than The Universe - Fantastic chemistry between its characters, a superb OST, and memorable scenes. Most anime would be lucky to have even one of these.
March Comes In Like A Lion - The bullying arc alone elevates this anime to the top, the only reason it isn't #1 this year is because I consider the show as a whole, and at times it was a bit too slice-of-lifey for me.
Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl - An anime that asks "how would a typical harem anime go?" and then does the complete opposite. It gets compared negatively to the Monogatari series a lot because of similarities in structure (boy helps girls with their supernatural problems), but for someone who is repulsed by fanservice and genuinely liked the relationship between Mai and Sakuta, this does for me what Monogataridon't.

2019 - Attack on Titan
You know that horror manga about finding people-shaped caves in the earth, and then modern-day people find caves that fit them perfectly and they are compelled to enter them, never to be seen again? That's Attack on Titan to me. It's my hole. It fits me perfectly. I've watched other action anime betray their sense of gravitas with brief moments of "man, that's kind of stupid", but Attack on Titan's grip over its tone and atmosphere never lets up once, and the result is a kind of grounding that you don't see often. It's a quality that I find hard to describe.

Honorable Mentions
Mob Psycho 100 - A strong character cast (ahem Reigen) and their dynamics with each other carries this show for me, even if I don't really care for the more serious moments. I hope it gets a season 3.

Final Anime Of The Decade Result
It's Attack on Titan, for me. Yes, since it is an ongoing series there is the possibility of the ending sucking balls, or never getting a proper animated conclusion, but that's a problem for next-decade-me to worry about. If Attack on Titan can follow its thus-far greatness with an equally great ending AND it gets animated (which it probably will), it will unquestioningly be my Anime of the Decade. If the ending is mediocre and sours the whole experience, my anime of the decade will be Shirobako, UNLESS Madoka Rebellion gets a continuation of some sorts that manages to be on par with the original TV series (unlikely).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait aikatsu stars started airing in 2016, gently caress rezero. aikatsu stars is the best anime of 2016

also my top 10 anime of the decade are

1: aikatsu stars
2: a place further than the universe
3: symphogear
4: wixoss
5: girls und panzer
6: sound euphonium
7: whatever season of monogatari had the kanbaru's exgirlfriend plot. hana?
8: idolmaster cinderella girls
9: madoka
10: akanesasu shoujo

honorable mentions: aikatsu season 1, love live sunshine, heartcatch precure, citrus, shirobako (really wish i could have fit this one in, would have replaced akanesasu if akanesasu's ending wasn't so good), new game season 2, granbelm (kind of wanted to replace akanesasu with this also but its from like 3 months ago so i lll need more time to digest it), gatchaman crowds, hunter x hunter, re:zero, sword art online, railgun, go princess precure, encouragement of climb

bonus top 5 movies:

1: liz and the blue bird
2: girls und panzer der film
3: silent voice
4: disappearance of haruhi suzumiya
5: sword art online ordinal scale

for aikatsu stars ill just copy paste a post i made back when it was ending

quote:

Now that it's wrapping up I wanna make a big rec to Aikatsu Stars, sincerely and without bias. Aikatsu Stars is the second entry in the children's anime, Aikatsu, about a school for idols. The original series, Aikatsu, ran for five season and over 150 episodes, with a large cast change in the middle. It was a very mixed production, with the early episodes being pretty strong, the end of the first half being incredible, and then kind of trailing off into middling 'situation of the week' stuff as its cast ballooned to the point that it became impossible to give any of them a real arc or goal.

Aikatsu Stars is an entry with no real connections to the original and much more consistency. There are still some episodes where the central joke doesn't land or the drama is centered on a character who just doesn't really work at all in the context of the show (big ups to Subaru and all the other dudes, who average out to maybe 75% of a good character between the four of them) but by and large the show is legitimately sweet and incredibly funny.

While the first half is somewhat mixed (mostly, again, due to a few characters whose arcs just dont work) it's mostly a really solid, really enjoyable show with some great surreal humor and really likable characters. It's nice to have a comedy show where the characters also have clearly defined goals that they're working towards - it means that there's a lot of things the comedy can be centered around and also means that the show can shift into character work without having it feel too forced. I'd definitely rate the first half of Aikatsu Stars as a really good show, definitely one of my favorite comedies from the past couple of years.

Then, uh, the second half happened.

Elza Forte just rolls up in a boat, declares that she's an idol pirate and is gonna conquer the world, and from there the show just puts its foot to the pedal and never really stops. I've watched the entire second half and can name maybe one episode that didn't either make me laugh or make me care about the character's arcs - the humor is great in how absurd and surreal it's willing to get, it rarely stretches a gag on too long, and all the new characters introduced in the second half are both amazingly funny and legitimately likable, interesting characters. Week in and week out, it's quietly been one of the best anime running for the past year. Now that it's wrapping up its run, I feel like it deserves a shoutout and a high recommendation from me.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/324391cb25c53d0f5df7d95fdd5f1e93.mp4

I'm not gonna say it's perfect or will change how you view anime or anything, its a 100 episode long kids show. Like I said, it DOES have a few clunkers, and while I like some of the songs it still loves to reuse songs and even entire dance sequences, which is kind of the achilles heel - hinging the drama on a reused song is something that happens sometimes, and it can make stuff fall flat. If you're willing to work with it, I think the drama still works, and it leans way more into comedy than drama, but I can understand that obvious 'kids show'ness turning some people off. Not to mention, uh, it's 100 episodes long, and the show's best material starts at about episode 45. For a long running kids show that could have easily been cheap, there's some great character animation and direction in there, but there are also pretty obviously episodes that look super cheap. Also again, its a kids show, so expect lots of fairly simple morals - the show gets a little introspective in the second half, but the questions it raises are still pretty basic stuff that wouldn't go over a kids head, about on the level of your average sports shonen. What it means when you try your hardest and still fail, how to cope with friends moving past you, that sort of thing. Also, you know, it's an idol anime, and some people don't care about that, so totally fair.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/e58304d153a88ede9ac18bd7c316a069.webm

But ultimately, it's just a show I really, really like. It's a longrunning comedy that manages to only have less than a dozen episodes I'd call complete duds. I'm not sure if I've done a good job articulating why I like it so much, but nobody else on this entire subforum really talked about it for its entire two year run, and I've been watching it that whole time, so I guess I felt like it was on me.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/4360c59abcba39c0f9922350ee8842d5.mp4

Anyway, good show, give it a shot if you have, uh, 37 hours to kill. Kirara best Venus Ark, Ako best Four Star, Yuzu best S4.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 2, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I would probably consider one of the two anime within the last two years that tore the forums apart to be the worst of the decade. You know, the slay one and the shield one.
if 'tearing the forums apart' is a qualifier then KLK would also have to be in the mix so idk

the anime i enjoyed the least this decade that i watched the whole way through was probably blue spring ride

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

considering what it did to matoi the anime that most tore the forums apart would have to be franxx

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Wark Say posted:

What's the closest the 2010's have gotten to like Musashi Gundoh levels of just a disaster on the production end of things?

Märchen Mädchen, perhaps. Giving up and not even making the last two episodes of a show until months later has got to be pretty bad, production wise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the russian arc of marchen ruled

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Beato Believer posted:

Märchen Mädchen, perhaps. Giving up and not even making the last two episodes of a show until months later has got to be pretty bad, production wise.

That was at least a good story even though the production was a mess I have to feel like it doesn't fit for that. I think something like Dynamic Chord which was a mess and not that good probably fits more https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/11/27/dynamic-chord-this-is-how-anime-breaks/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Mob Psycho 100 for anime of the decade. No contest.

There's tons of wonderful qualities that make MP100 stand out--the humor, the gorgeous and inventive animation, the great voice acting, the storytelling, etc. But over the course of the decade, there's more than a few shows that reach similar heights, or excel in other ways. Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass, Steins;gate, Shirobako, JJBA, Yuri on Ice--they also filled me with delight, each for their own reason.

Mob Psycho 100 made me want to be a better person.