Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
As others have said, recruiters will not be much help as a lot of entry level hiring is done through formal programs and EL actuaries don’t generally produce a lot of value for their first few years. Unfortunately this is the worst possible time of year as the new batch of fresh grads will all have just started. Open slots for the remainder of the year will be the handful of new openings that get approved at big firms off-cycle, plus all the smaller firms that don’t have formal programs.

Career changers do have a leg up over fresh grads since a good number of actuarial/math students have never had a real job before and there is a huge difference between passing two exams while working full time and passing N exams in college. Make sure the dates of exam passing are obvious on your resume. Teachers are like 1/3 of the career changers that I’ve seen and seeing a teaching resume is a good indication that you have above-average (for this field) interpersonal skills.

I can’t speak for other firms but at mine if you have two exams, a STEM degree, and full time experience your application will absolutely get looked at by a hiring manager eventually. Hit up all the application systems for every carrier, broker, and reinsurer you can think of. University job fairs also work, even if you didn’t go there, but you have some time before those kick off again. I’ve seen a couple people have luck with cold emailing resumes but that is risky and it’s hard as an outsider to even know who to email. And of course, if you know someone in the industry, now’s the time to shamelessly get back in touch with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU