Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Running With Spoons posted:

I work at a reinsurer in Canada, and the work is challenging, meaningful and fun at all levels.

At reinsurance/insurance companies, they really want FSAs. They will pay for your exams, give you study days and raises. However, if for whatever reason, you want to give up on exams, you’ll be an actuarial analyst forever or have to switch to another department.
This is how it is at my life and disability insurance company in the States, too. Most of the actuarial analysts are in their 20s or early 30s if they're career-change people, by mid to late 30's everyone is an FSA or has moved on. All actuarial analysts are definitely working on their ASA/FSA.

Being I'm not an actuary and I only sort of pay attention to it I'm not sure what the precise titles vs exams are. I think Actuarial Analysts are non-certified, Actuary I is ASA, and Actuary II is FSA. I'd have to check the org chart against signatures/google though. We had a big actuarial title change "alignment" last year, as each division was using their own title for actuaries and it was confusing...After our chief actuary was elevated to C suite, they resolved company-wide title alignment.

The actuaries are paid really well, too. It's definitely a lot more profitable than accounting. And the hours are generally a lot better, probably because the actuarial culture isn't the same as Big4 accounting (I'm a CPA...). It's funny/depressing watching the Big4 actuarial auditors/consultants vs accounting auditors/consultants - one group puts in a LOT more hours than the other. My cube in 2018-2019 was next to the conference room the actuarial consultants occupied, and a few cubes down from the conference rooms the accounting auditors occupied, so I got to see the difference first hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoshi posted:

[My] reporting for the year is basically done so I have hours to fill.
Ha nice! My friends in [external] financial reporting and investment accounting are all at work today, on a holiday. Lucky them! But they only had to work a little on Saturday because of the extra day of work provided by the holiday, so...it's a win?