Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

kimbo305 posted:

Do healthcare (or pension) actuaries go with one of these society's credentials?

The CAS is for general insurance (house, car, stuff like that), also called P&C (property and casualty)
The SOA is for everything else (life insurance, health insurance, pension, investment).

The first 4 exams or so of both organizations are the same, after that you need to choose one of the two societies.

You become an ACAS after a total of about 7 exams in the CAS, and a FCAS after about 10.
You become an ASA after about 7 exams in the SOA, and a FSA after about 10.

I say "about" because exams often merge or split, and a few exams have become basically online courses with word/excel reports.

Most of the exams have about 40%-60% pass rates.

I've been a FSA for 5 years, so I'm not that familiar about the latest exam structure changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

kimbo305 posted:

Do people have meaningful work at each exam level?

I work at a reinsurer in Canada, and the work is challenging, meaningful and fun at all levels.

At reinsurance/insurance companies, they really want FSAs. They will pay for your exams, give you study days and raises. However, if for whatever reason, you want to give up on exams, you’ll be an actuarial analyst forever or have to switch to another department.

In consulting gigs, from what I understand, they won't care as much about the exams as long as you put in a lot of hours of good work, but I don't think the work is as meaningful, especially for analysts.