Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i was quickly ushered into a leadership position into some pubbie guild with 700 people in discord, so if yall need anything let me know i could probably suck yall in or whatever

or give you a place to rest or whatever idk, this game looks lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
what a load of unplayable horseshit

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

what a load of unplayable horseshit

Oh god. I picked Caldari and the initial tutorial had me go to Jita which is a hot loving mess with 700 people in it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How are people getting the game already? I can't find it on iOS yet.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

How are people getting the game already? I can't find it on iOS yet.

Android here.

Man this thing is a battery killer - Pixel 3 XL.

Managed to get through Jita and the tutorial. Put a days worth of stuff in my training queue, plopped down a couple automatic planet material miners. Disconnected a few times and the market is totally hosed right now. I can't pull up any items or even search for them, it just spins.

Numinous fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 2, 2019

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Yeah, it is super power intensive. I think I'm still losing power despite being hooked into the wall.

Game is down for 30 minutes while they fix the market being broken. There are definitely some changes from the PC version but overall it does very much feel like playing a fresh start in EVE.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

can't wait to wait 2 hours to mine enough PI to be able to make a SINGLE VENTURE

did i mention I maxxed out my skills with the free SP and am running 4 ACCOUNTS?

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm going to guess that you didn't upgrade your toon properly. Not all skills show until you do and skills in general are kinda hidden.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Verge Vendor is where the highest concentration of Goons are at the moment. Alentene is well stocked with Arraron being a nearby 0.5 system that we're looking at working out of for better materials and missions.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The market is definitely struggling right now. Even in VV I tried to buy a Catalyst (3x miners and 900m3 cargo hold? Yes please) I wound up spending the cash to buy 6 of them by clicking the buy button a few times thinking there was lag.

There is definitely lag.

After 30 minutes or so I noticed I blew a cool million on destroyers and didn't have any in inventory. Went back to mining in my Herron and noticed after getting to work that I now have 1 catalyst sitting in inventory. Devs keep posting in discord that the market is crashing under the weight of all the people. I'm glad they're seeing it now and might be able to better guess how much they need to spend on servers for the market and Jita alone.

Slowly getting the hang of the game. Finally figured out how to stack items and how to get to the map. Hate the map. Still getting used to it.

Still more fun than SG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NetEase really dropped the ball releasing this for iOS. I don't see where I can download Echoes anywhere.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I'm totally stuck at the "buy a ship" tutorial mission. Somehow i have a 1 million isk buy order for a slasher that I cant remove :(

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Jimlit posted:

I'm totally stuck at the "buy a ship" tutorial mission. Somehow i have a 1 million isk buy order for a slasher that I cant remove :(

Oh hey me too! And I've paid for a dozen slashers but none have appeared. I am guessing the market is still dead.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

I said come in! posted:

NetEase really dropped the ball releasing this for iOS. I don't see where I can download Echoes anywhere.

You can thank Apple for that. Betas don't show up in the app store. You have to use TestFlight.

Edit:
https://testflight.apple.com/join/cCS1Cbjg

Added link to OP to save time.

Moar edit:
It's definitely performing like a beta but I'll have to give it credit for one thing. It handles reconnects very well. I was able to leave my house, drive to work, and move around the building. Whenever the phone would hop wifi / cell signals, the game would boot me for a bit but it would actually reconnect pretty fast. Whenever my phone switched IP in SG, I had to restart the whole game.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 2, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How is it on data volume when not on wifi?

how much of my limited 4G data cap is the thing hogging to send my private data off to china is what i'm asking i guess

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inimicul posted:

You can thank Apple for that. Betas don't show up in the app store. You have to use TestFlight.

Okay that's fair! Thank you for the help, I am installing now on my iPhone and iPad Pro.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Touch controls feel pretty decent for the ten minutes I was able to play. Got to the bit of the tutorial where I had to buy my non-rookie frigate and the market is apparently completely dead.

I did get 2 million ISK and 100,000 SP in my mail though as compensation for server difficulties so :toot:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Looks like my phone burned through about 11mb of game data since being installed. I think the only time I've been off WiFi id during my drive to work (~30 minutes). I might turn off WiFi for the rest of the day to see how it fares with a better sample size.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

what the hell is this poo poo

a Cormorant "Command Destroyer" with a missile launcher, two shield boosters in the low slots and a large shield booster in the "miscellaneous"?

did they rework all the ships and gently caress up the balance? did they remove all the fitting complexity of the game? that's mad disappointing

Man, I wish I could sell a Cormorant for 48 billion ISK.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Loaded last night, figured out how to buy a new ship then get a mission (didn't even notice that it was in lowsec, guess that explains why the payout was so high but the server is so sparsely populated that I didn't run into anyone, warped in started killing forgot that you actually can warp out of fights against rats and lost my brand spanking new Atron, spent some time figuring out how to buy another ship that wasn't a million jumps away fitted out my new Tristan with blasters took a few warps in and out to soften them up and kill them all but got my 200k payout.

Market is decidedly bare atm briefly considered heading to Jita to see if people were creatures of habit but decided that maybe a different system would end up being the market hub and I'm glad I did since apparently people are creatures of habit and they broke Jita within hours of the game launching with reddit filling up with posts about not being able to get into the game after jumping into Jita. This is why you beta test. Servers are down for an update atm probably trying to fix Jita so I'll have to satisfy myself by poo poo posting to avoid work instead of loving around on the game.

First impression is promising, graphics are at least on par with the PC game, text and menus are a tad small for my old eyes but it's a phone game what do you expect? The mechanics seem to be a bit different. So far none of the 3 ships I've tried had mid slots and appear to only have 2 high and 2 low slots period which means 2 blasters, a small armor repper and an afterburner. Linking weapons was intuitive (just drag one onto the other). Still feeling my way through the skill system but used the bonus points to train frigate to 5 currently training hybrids to 5 as well and I suspect that I'll be able to use the bonus points from jita maintenance to boost that.

Ran a second short mission this morning before work. This time I figured out how to adjust the orbit (real finicky on a phone) only seemed to do 1k intervals (which was kind of annoying since the optimal on small blasters was 1.5k but orbits tend to be wide anyway so set it to 1k and it worked much better. I was able to complete the mission without warping out and only having to run my armor repper periodically. All in all I'm pretty happy with what I saw so far.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Skex posted:

Linking weapons was intuitive (just drag one onto the other).

drat. I tried that a few times and the icons just kept jumping around. I'll keep trying. It took me a while to figure out that it's possible to stack items in inventory if I tell it to select all first. I kept trying to click and drag ore and whatnot without luck.

Game goes down for maintenance.
Logged into SG to refresh recruits and add training.
Game still down for maintenance.
Considers logging back into SG.
Chooses to keep staring at #evetalk and the countless Burn Jita comments instead.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Inimicul posted:

drat. I tried that a few times and the icons just kept jumping around. I'll keep trying. It took me a while to figure out that it's possible to stack items in inventory if I tell it to select all first. I kept trying to click and drag ore and whatnot without luck.

Game goes down for maintenance.
Logged into SG to refresh recruits and add training.
Game still down for maintenance.
Considers logging back into SG.
Chooses to keep staring at #evetalk and the countless Burn Jita comments instead.

Were you grouping it in your inventory screen or while in space? I did it in space and it hoped right in when I drug the second on the 1st. It's also possible that I just got lucky and every other time will take a billion tries.

It's day one of a Beta, it's going to be down most of it. I actually saw a post on Reddit from some guy who was mad that he took the whole day off for nothing, obviously not someone who was an experienced EVE player as you could almost always count on the game being mostly unplayable for at least a week after a patch (Typical patch preparation make sure you have a months worth of skills queued up then go outside for a while) this is a Beta of course it's going to be unstable. the whole point is to break it so they can figure out how to make it not break when it goes live.

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that no one has data mined out the skill trees ships and what not yet.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Gave my information to our new Chinese overlords and played for about 3 minutes. Feels aight. It's cool to have a fresh start in EvE. Skipped the tutorial because gently caress that.

How fast would I get banned if I typed "光復香港,時代革命" in chat?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Tindahbawx posted:

Man, I wish I could sell a Cormorant for 48 billion ISK.

You can, you just need to find the right gullible bastard for it.

e: how's manufacturing in this poo poo? The most fun I had in EVE was loving with markets and doing manufacturing, seems perfect to do via a phone... when the markets aren't making GBS threads themselves, at least.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Epsilon Plus posted:

You can, you just need to find the right gullible bastard for it.

e: how's manufacturing in this poo poo? The most fun I had in EVE was loving with markets and doing manufacturing, seems perfect to do via a phone... when the markets aren't making GBS threads themselves, at least.

PI is much easier and everyone should be doing it. Its basically a few minutes and passive income/supply in return. Mining is roughly the same. You no longer have to research blueprints to make them better - they get better as your relevant industry level increases. Few player made ships are yet on the market (if any are).

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

what the hell is this poo poo

a Cormorant "Command Destroyer" with a missile launcher, two shield boosters in the low slots and a large shield booster in the "miscellaneous"?

did they rework all the ships and gently caress up the balance? did they remove all the fitting complexity of the game? that's mad disappointing

wait until you see the black ops destroyers

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Man it's probably for the best I can't get the app to download and install properly. I have no reason to come back but phone EVE appeals for some reason.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

You aren't missing out on much just yet. Some stuff isn't even implemented yet. I don't think drones work properly yet, Jita keeps trapping people because of the massive influx of players, the market crashes causing reboots (but they've been compensating with free isk, though not enough to mean anything really) and there's going to be a character wipe before it goes out of beta.

That being said though, it's legit Eve on your phone with some nice quality of life improvements. Planetary mining is really easy, it's spot on graphically, the music is the same for the most part, combat is simple enough, setting optimal orbit distances is real easy (though not obvious in how to set it initially).

The only real issue I see so far is the market and the prices. I've only got roughly 3mil, which makes affording anything impossible. I want to start mining and exploring, but unless I figure out how to manipulate a market place that can't stay online long enough to even use, I feel kinda trapped doing missions. Now granted, it's been so long since I've played Eve I don't remember what my options are as far as kitting out a cheap ship to mine or wormhole, but it still seems pretty gated.

All in all it's a good game, and I'm excited to see what it looks like fully functioning.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I can finally spin ships at work directly on my phone

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Surprise maintenance started about 3 minutes ago, they're moving the game to a larger environment, hopefully this will fix a lot of the problems people have been having with getting stuck in systems and market orders puking all over themselves

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

orange juche posted:

Surprise maintenance started about 3 minutes ago, they're moving the game to a larger environment, hopefully this will fix a lot of the problems people have been having with getting stuck in systems and market orders puking all over themselves

Well there are definitely worse problems to have as a game developer than "too many people people want to play it"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Servers were in maintenance for ages while they apparently spun up a whole new server just for the market. Back in the game now and still nothing happens when I click "Purchase" on this Slasher.

Good start so far.

Edit: finally went through. Took about ten minutes after pushing the button.

Edit2: Half hour later or whatever and I'm now the proud owner of one Slasher for each and every time I tried to press the "Purchase" button.

The novelty factor of having EVE on my pocket is really strong here, but this... I dunno, it's just making me want to reinstall Actual EVE instead of playing with this "EVE But Somehow Even Worse" thing.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 3, 2019

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
JITA IS BURNING! (good job, Goons, I'm giving us credit anyway)
Stay out of Jita!

Q: But I started as Gallente and the tutorial sends me there to buy an Atron.
A: RIP. Buy from somewhere twice as far away or skip the tutorial. It pretty much ends after you buy a ship, fly to a combat site and blow up a couple of training rats. No rewards for doing it. Just skip it.

Q: I started as Caldari and it sends me to Jita to buy a Condor.
A: I see no problem with that.

I don't know where Amarr and Minmatar send their people yet but they're better off.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The only real issue I see so far is the market and the prices. I've only got roughly 3mil, which makes affording anything impossible. I want to start mining and exploring, but unless I figure out how to manipulate a market place that can't stay online long enough to even use, I feel kinda trapped doing missions. Now granted, it's been so long since I've played Eve I don't remember what my options are as far as kitting out a cheap ship to mine or wormhole, but it still seems pretty gated.

Mining for the win setup:
Catalyst with 3x mining lasers. Comes with a 900m3 cargo hold and fills up surprisingly fast. Unless you put more training into your fitting skills than I have so far, you wont' be able to also fit a repper or AB in addition to the 3x miners. This is good because the mighty Catalyst is already good enough to permatank and outrun asteroids. There don't seem to be belt rats in Echoes but with us moving to Syndicate (join the Discord, you heathens!) you're much more likely to be rewarded with free PVP.

Hauling seems to be good money. Low risk. Low excitement. Good rewards.

Going to combat sites and shooting rats is a great way to get guns and misc drops. There's no salvaging wrecks, but I've gotten salvage drops from just looting a wreck so that's easy.

Manufacturing and invention seems like a really good use of your time right now if you're even marginally industry inclined. Goonspace needs stuff. We also need the practice on how to supply and reinforce an ecosystem when we chose to go there.

I'm 100% certain there are people trying to rat and mine in Jita.

The blueprints we buy to make our poo poo is BPC so stock up if you intend to make more than one. There doesn't appear to be a minimum skill to manufacture anything I've seen yet.

PI is a huge bottleneck and it's also free money. What with all the free SP they're giving out for maintenance, I filled my other two character slots with throw away alts and instantly trained them up to Planetology 4 using just the daily rewards and free SP they gave out for Jita. Since then, they've given out another 400k sp so maybe I can take them to Planetology 5? Hell, tempted to make a whole other account just for more planet alts to harvest their poo poo once a week and post in Goonspace for us to use.

(picture your favorite free money meme here, I'm running out of battery so I'm not going to look for you)

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

uhg it's so good but so lovely, it's so close to being amazing it's frustrating.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The localization is steaming hot poo poo though

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Carth Dookie posted:

Man it's probably for the best I can't get the app to download and install properly. I have no reason to come back but phone EVE appeals for some reason.

Same here. I really don't want to play again, but the novelty of the phone app appeals to me for some reason.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It really gives me that nostalgic "omg, why am I punching myself in the dick like this?" pain of playing EVE that hurts so good.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well, I guess the server is still struggling under the mass of all the sweaty nerds trying to play. Nothing was working a few minutes ago without waiting a few minutes again. Just gonna try later

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Client just hangs on login since the last patch now, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

PathAsc posted:

Well, I guess the server is still struggling under the mass of all the sweaty nerds trying to play. Nothing was working a few minutes ago without waiting a few minutes again. Just gonna try later

Well given that breaking things is kind of the point of a Beta test I'd say this one is a glowing success so far.