Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Loaded last night, figured out how to buy a new ship then get a mission (didn't even notice that it was in lowsec, guess that explains why the payout was so high but the server is so sparsely populated that I didn't run into anyone, warped in started killing forgot that you actually can warp out of fights against rats and lost my brand spanking new Atron, spent some time figuring out how to buy another ship that wasn't a million jumps away fitted out my new Tristan with blasters took a few warps in and out to soften them up and kill them all but got my 200k payout.

Market is decidedly bare atm briefly considered heading to Jita to see if people were creatures of habit but decided that maybe a different system would end up being the market hub and I'm glad I did since apparently people are creatures of habit and they broke Jita within hours of the game launching with reddit filling up with posts about not being able to get into the game after jumping into Jita. This is why you beta test. Servers are down for an update atm probably trying to fix Jita so I'll have to satisfy myself by poo poo posting to avoid work instead of loving around on the game.

First impression is promising, graphics are at least on par with the PC game, text and menus are a tad small for my old eyes but it's a phone game what do you expect? The mechanics seem to be a bit different. So far none of the 3 ships I've tried had mid slots and appear to only have 2 high and 2 low slots period which means 2 blasters, a small armor repper and an afterburner. Linking weapons was intuitive (just drag one onto the other). Still feeling my way through the skill system but used the bonus points to train frigate to 5 currently training hybrids to 5 as well and I suspect that I'll be able to use the bonus points from jita maintenance to boost that.

Ran a second short mission this morning before work. This time I figured out how to adjust the orbit (real finicky on a phone) only seemed to do 1k intervals (which was kind of annoying since the optimal on small blasters was 1.5k but orbits tend to be wide anyway so set it to 1k and it worked much better. I was able to complete the mission without warping out and only having to run my armor repper periodically. All in all I'm pretty happy with what I saw so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Inimicul posted:

drat. I tried that a few times and the icons just kept jumping around. I'll keep trying. It took me a while to figure out that it's possible to stack items in inventory if I tell it to select all first. I kept trying to click and drag ore and whatnot without luck.

Game goes down for maintenance.
Logged into SG to refresh recruits and add training.
Game still down for maintenance.
Considers logging back into SG.
Chooses to keep staring at #evetalk and the countless Burn Jita comments instead.

Were you grouping it in your inventory screen or while in space? I did it in space and it hoped right in when I drug the second on the 1st. It's also possible that I just got lucky and every other time will take a billion tries.

It's day one of a Beta, it's going to be down most of it. I actually saw a post on Reddit from some guy who was mad that he took the whole day off for nothing, obviously not someone who was an experienced EVE player as you could almost always count on the game being mostly unplayable for at least a week after a patch (Typical patch preparation make sure you have a months worth of skills queued up then go outside for a while) this is a Beta of course it's going to be unstable. the whole point is to break it so they can figure out how to make it not break when it goes live.

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that no one has data mined out the skill trees ships and what not yet.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

orange juche posted:

Surprise maintenance started about 3 minutes ago, they're moving the game to a larger environment, hopefully this will fix a lot of the problems people have been having with getting stuck in systems and market orders puking all over themselves

Well there are definitely worse problems to have as a game developer than "too many people people want to play it"

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

PathAsc posted:

Well, I guess the server is still struggling under the mass of all the sweaty nerds trying to play. Nothing was working a few minutes ago without waiting a few minutes again. Just gonna try later

Well given that breaking things is kind of the point of a Beta test I'd say this one is a glowing success so far.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

I should move down to Syndicate with the rest of you I'm just not big on talking/chatting since I'm usually either at work or with my wife watching TV when I'm playing, been hanging out in a sparsely populated lowsec system and forgot that gate guns are a thing, some guy warped into an anomaly I was running and I locked him up and took a couple shots at him to make it clear that I wasn't welcoming company, then finished clearing and looting and clicked auto to get back to my base station, did this while getting ready for work so when I came back my pod was sitting next to the smouldering pile of debri that had previously been my Rail Catalyst thought I'd gotten ganked at first but saw the gate guns on the killmail and a little red wanted light next to my character name. So note to self don't go straight to a gate or station after shooting at someone in low sec.

Been alternating between moving ships into the system I'm living in, running anomalies when I can pay half attention or mining when at work (since being no our phones playing games is kind of frowned on I just leave it in my drawer checking to see if the hold is full yet every once in a while, oh and staring at the log in screen wondering when I'll be able to get back online.

My ratting setup is a Catalysts with 3x mk 150 railguns, mk3 small repper and a mk1 ab which I've found to be an excellent low effort anomaly runner, just orbit the central structure and start locking and blapping rats, don't even have to turn on the repper for most anomalies. For mining since I don't have the 6-8 million that people are asking for a Venture I've been using an Imicus with 2 x Mk3 mining lasers doesn't have the grid for anything more than a reactive plate in the lows, it's slower than the Destroyer suggested but has more cargo like 1450 with astro 3 so less attention required.

Ran one of those anomalies with gates last night (forget what it was called "Serpentis Inquisitor" or some such) and got a bunch of rig blueprints so I'll definitely be looking out for more of those.

Valador posted:

No D scan, webs and disrupts have dropped while ratting.

I've had one Mk3 Disurptor and 2 Mk3 Stasis Webbifiers drop in a Large Serpentis Anomaly, actually was kind of touch and go (one of the first big ones I ran and was shocked when I couldn't warp out, ended up scraping by with a sliver of hull left by the time I beat it I was still using a blaster Cat on it and was the run that convinced me to switch to rails.

Really not happy with the way the slots are laid out. Only having 4 slots on frigates is a really poor design, I could understand them limiting the high slots but the lack of ability to mount tank, tackle and an AB/MW severely limits the utility of small ships hopefully that's something that will be addressed prior to release.

Skex fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2019

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Erev posted:

Come on out. More combat types are welcome to help get modules on the market! We are located in S-U8A4. Market 'hub' likely to be 6-1.

We've just had the first Goon-constructed ship roll off the line - a Venture dubbed the GBS Chucklefuck. Now that there's a mining ship with an ore hold out here things should pick up in pace. Just a reminder though - we need everyone to do PI! It's stupidly simple (especially compared to EO's) and its free.

Yeah I'm deadheading down with an incursus now (actually docked up in the time I was typing this). My little corner of the world is starting to get crowded anyway and ferrying shite is easy enough to do afkish.
How are clones working in this, got podded earlier while afk mining a belt and woke up in what I guess was the starting system, would rather not have to do a 22 jump trip home every time I'm not paying enough attention to notice the hostile come in.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

So spent most of the day shuttling ships down from Empire and then on my lunch hour I decided to try an anomaly in S-U, looked around and decided to try a medium as those were easy enough in FLIET, let's just say that there is a significant increase in difficulty. Multiple cruisers with webs and points melting my poor Catalyst quickly. My small ship skills are pretty good as I've focused primarily on them. Destroyer Command 5 Advanced Destroyer Command 4, Small Hybrids 5, gonna be beefing up on defense skills and probably sticking to smalls for the time being at least until I figure out the knack on these things. I recommend caution and a decent sized stack of replacement ships :)

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

orange juche posted:

Hmmm, the anomaly was named the same as the one in Fliet? a Serpentis Medium anomaly? Weird that they would have different setups of ships based on security of space, they should be identical.

I'll double check, I'd done large in FLIET as well and never saw any cruisers which seemed to be the big difference. I can tank can destroyers and frigates easily in this thing, seldom even had to run the repper in FLIET but that one melted me. Gonna shuttle some a few more Catalysts down while I finish my shift and drive home, will do more testing tonight. Might have to adjust my tactics too, got for a longer orbit, been a long time since I ran anomalies in eve and I mainly did it with multi-boxing HAM Tengu's.

Picked up a Nereus High Mobility BP thinking it might be useful to have something to ferry large stuff around with, though honestly I'm not sure how we're supposed to pool resources with no corporate hangers, no market and as best I can tell no trade or contract capability. I don't even see an option to eject from a ship in space or jettison cargo. Hopefully that's content that's being worked on.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 5, 2019

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Be warned, anomalies are definitely different in null where we're at, tried a medium first as discussed before, I'd been running up to large in lowsec with zero problems once I'd switched to a rail fit, the first time I tried one in S-U it was a medium and I was melted quickly, the rats web and point so no running away either. It was a mix of cruisers and frigates. In low sec it would have been a mix of frigates and destroyers. I dropped down to smalls and those are still mostly a mix of cruisers and frigates but tend to be fewer of them, they still web and point so pay attention.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

So far this is the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. I mean it's far from perfect but most of the failings at this point are expected to be addressed in the near(ish) future, the main ones being the lack of standings/corporations which is starting to get a little painful with 58 goons and all their toons* and the general pita of having to add every name manually on every character. There isn't any way to directly move ISK/gear between characters as well as some of the advanced modules not being in the game yet and a number of features and mechanics that are still apparently in development.That said if they had just released this and said that updates would come as they were completed it would still be a better than pretty much every mobile game I've ever played, the only real question in my mind is how they decide to monetize, hopefully they'll go with some sort of subscription service or something other than p2w. If they can come up with a good or at least non-awful monetization model I think that this game has a lot of promise. As it stands them having a large scale beta before full launch demonstrates that they are taking this seriously. I mean a lot can happen but I like what I've seen so far and it's going to be a lot of fun when it actually launches and we'll have our doctrines, skill plans and strategy in place on how to build up our gay space communist empire into the villains that the game needs to be a vibrant living universe.

So highly recommend joining us in this new conquest where you can terrorize pubbies while sitting on the toilet, does it get better than that?

* I know it's pubbie talk but I couldn't resist the rhyme

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Zak2k12 posted:

I wish this was out of beta and that it didn't melt my phone. On the emulation side, I found more success with MEmu than Bluestacks. Otherwise it looks pretty much like a mobile EVE and the interface is decent. I think targeting specific ships would be a nightmare if the grid gets busy since they can only fit so many rows on a small screen, but I do appreciate that "easy lock" feature for ratting and mission running.

Hopefully the melting phones thing is because it's still a beta and they haven't optimized the code, I did find that turning the resolution and settings down helped a lot with cooling things down and keeping my battery from draining instantly. Side benefit the text is a little bigger which is useful for a geezer like me.

Skex fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 10, 2019

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Helen Skelter posted:

Is there a way to send yourself money/items from your alts?

Sell something rare (or at least that there aren't any competing sell orders for) for an exorbitant price from the account you are moving the isk to then buy it at that ridiculous price on the character you are moving the isk from.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

It doesn't even have to be rare. If some dummy buys your 1 trit at 6969420420.69 isk are you really going to be sad that they messed up your exchange?

The problem is more that if someone else happens to be selling trit for 4isk you'll buy it first rather than transferring it to the character that you are wanting to move it too. Which is why I said something that's not for sale in your station at least if I'm understanding the mechanic correctly.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 14, 2019

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Inimicul posted:

One unit of Omber for 500m? Sounds like a bargain!

(nobody buys ore)

Also, right now there's a small gang of us flying through space making GBS threads up comms and pissing of the chinese we find ratting or mining near our space. Hell, I managed to kill and pod two Ventures while idling outside our station while we were organizing the fleet to start. :D

Just make sure no one in your station is selling it for less. My buddy was trying to move some isk today and didn't listen to me about that and ended up buying some guys piece of trit for 70 milllion.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

So I un-dock from our home station thinking I'll make a quick run policing our belts against wildcat miners and there's this Condor sitting on the un-dock. I lock it up and pop it. the pod manages to re-dock then a few seconds later it un-docks again so I kill the pod. Then I look in the wreck and it has a Worm blueprint in it, 82 million isk value. Someone had a bad night, but it wasn't me.

Skex fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 15, 2019

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

drat, I was just looking to buy one of those boys until I saw the price tag. Nice find! Hopefully it wasn't some unaware goon. :ohdear:

If they were they should have put their name on the roster so we'd know not to shoot them :)

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

SliceOfPie posted:

It sounds like there will be multiple open betas. In a recent q and a, devs said they won’t be able to implement corps. and alliances during this beta.

Mixed feelings about that, on the one hand I'm glad that they're being thorough prior to release, on the other hand it's going to be hard to do much more than the piddling around small gang stuff we're doing now, which to be fair is kind of fun. Honestly though if they don't think they can complete this by the end of this "beta" they should just extend the beta for further testing.

That said I'm enjoying the piddling around blowing stuff up and getting blown up. I'm getting 2-4 kills a night without much effort and the two roams we went on last weekend resulted in something like 14 kills Friday night and 4 Saturday.Flying and losing expensive ships with no cares.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

Are they planning to put a better character creation system in place, one where you can actually tweak your profile like regular Eve? I hope the current one is just a placeholder.

I'd expect so, though I don't remember anything specifically said about it. There are so many other higher priority things for them to work on.

As it stands now since they're currently talking about a second beta test the game is probably a good 6 months or more from being ready for full release.

Personally I think them holding off on implementing the corporate and grouping mechanisms until the "next beta" is a mistake. All the game truly lacks to be viable commercially at this point is the social infrastructure (corporation, alliance, standings) mechanics and a monetization model which if they do go with essentially the EVE O model shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Our biggest limitation as a group currently is the requirement to manually manage contacts and friendlies from our roster spreadsheet adding every one of the names for the 50+ goons and all our alts. As it is I've only bothered to update all my contacts on my main combat character and just not shoot anything with the others (they're just space truckers atm anyway), that initial investment of effort is likely off-putting to potential new players who find out that they're going to have to manually add 100 weird spelled names with a phone (or the buggy Bluestacks) keyboard, particularly given that this is all going to be reset in a couple months anyway.

The potential of a second or even 3rd Beta is even more off putting for newer players, particularly given that I honestly think that the majority of the initial player base are going to have signed up for the Beta anyway.

I have to give the developers credit, while I don't agree with every decision they've made in their implementation or prioritization, they have really managed to make this a workable, playable, dare I say enjoyable mobile EVE experience.The fact that they didn't just slap a P2W monetization scheme on it and release this as is gives me some level of confidence that the final product could really be great.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

they need a sov war system tbh, i have no interest in playing until there is a way to claim territory, and ideally a reason to claim territory beyond the e-dick measuring contest

I don't know, I kind of like it without SOV, null feels more like untamed wilderness than an over developed suburb. I think if we could have decent sized corporations, fleets and shared standings it would go a long way to solving what's lacking. We could still claim space, we'd just have to do it by actively playing and killing interlopers rather than strategically fueling structures to join in a slow motion battle where you might get to cycle your weapons every 5 minutes (or however the hell they do it nowadays).

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Bagged my first Retriever tonight, was ratting down in Fountain because I wanted armor stuff and that doesn't drop where we're currently living. I found a nice dead end -1 system and was doing my thing burning through 10s in my Worm when another player showed up in local. Since this was EVE I automatically assumed that someone was scouting me but then I remembered that this is EVE Echoes full of clueless carebears so I set my Cov Ops alt to scout the belts and low and behold in the last belt I find this guy in a shinny new Retriever sucking down ore. So I creep up on him with my Cov Ops align my Worm with his belt, then when I'm in range I hit warp to the belt and uncloak, which was dumb because now I had a targeting delay, fortunately he wasn't on the ball and I managed to land a point with both the cov ops and the Worm (faction point) which was enough to overcome his warp strength . Then I start pew pewing him and think drat this thing is a lot more resilient than I thought they'd be as I slowly whittled through his armor, my cov ops started taking amor damage and was getting dangerously close to to hull so I killed his drones, then I realized that my drones weren't attacking (oops) and set them loose melting the Retriever rapidly at that point. I missed his pod because I suck and didn't get it locked in time but I did get his loot and a fair amount of ore.

I sent the one Cov ops (which was now full of loot home) and sent out a second, a little while later low and behold another stranger pops into local and I repeat the process. This time he got lucky because I missed getting the second point on him and he managed to slip my trap (going to be refitting that Cov Ops with double faction points going forward).

A hour or so later a buddy joined me ratting and after exhausting the high level anoms in the system we'd been in we check the neighboring system and find a guy who's running an Inquisitor site in a Caracal. I scouted again using the Cov Ops and this time rather than using it for point (since a Caracal is a wee bit more dangerous than a Retriever) I just kept eyes on him while my buddy in a Garmur and I got set up to jump him. Took the gate, locked him down and splash 2 , got the pod this time and some shiny faction loot while breaking my buddies PVP cherry in the beta. On top of that I got a bunch of tech 7 loot and a crap ton of rig blueprints from the multiple Inquisitor sites I hit.

Lots of easy targets who don't understand how brutal EVE is and I've been having a great time educating them.

PS we now have custom chat channels so it's a lot easier creating your "do not kill" or "Shoot blues" list as you prefer.

Skex fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 28, 2019

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

They just announced that the Open Beta will be ending on January 10th. still waiting for word on the next phase and whether it will be a second beta or a soft launch or when. So I'm switching from building up resources mode to end the beta with as few ships and as many kills as possible mode.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Op tonight starting from H-PA around 6pm PST. Kitchen Sink fleet bring whatever shinny or rusty ships you want we're going to be flying around camping here camping there ganking whatever we can find fighting whoever comes after us. Less than a week to go until server wipe so nows the time to get some shinny poo poo killed while bringing as much excitement into the pubbie's lives as we can manage.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Decent little op tonight, started off a little rough prior when I was picking up the Gila that Inimicus graciously gifted me to try out as he wasn't going to have time to enjoy it and ran into a gate camp at the Taisy/M-OEE8 gate, one of our guys lost a Garmur while black screen coming out of a station which meant our intended pointer wasn't available on time, plus it took a little extra time to find a safe route to the rally point in the Gila.

Once I made it to the station and got the fleet formed we took a few minutes to get a couple ships sorted for the op, some guy undocks a Cyclone and Stealthgerbil had a couple thrashers on the undock so we wait on baited breath to see if he's ballsy enough to aggress and joy of joys he is. We undock lock him up and pop him, a few minutes later while we're forming up we get a massive spike in local at which point I warp the fleet to a planet so we won't be stuck in station, the enemy had us significantly outnumbered and out shipped so we did a round of cat an mouse running them around the system until we could get the fleet together and I got enough rust shook off my FC skillset to figure out the actual route for our roam.

At this point Deathnexus volunteers to run point and grabs a Slasher II and she did an excellent job of hunting down targets for us, eventually bagging another Cyclone in an anomaly and an Omen and a Thrasher Trainer on a gate. We roamed around near Serpentis Prime a bit however by that point people were tired after the 43 jump journey and started logging off.

The highlight of the night for me was blue balling the try-hards who were trying to avenge their buddies battle cruiser we lead them on a merry but ultimately fruitless (for them) chase prior to going off to have our own fun. There are lots of people who get really worked up about their ehonor and they provide a near bottomless bucket of salty tears to feast on. Really looking forward for when this goes live.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Erev posted:

Drones are not as OP as missiles and can be shot down but they do hit pretty darn hard.

Drones have some definite disadvantages (travel time, able to be destroyed), but they hit hard and most combat is so short that in general the choice to shoot drones means that you aren't doing damage to the ship and once drone is dead it's a relatively easy to launch a spare, I also think they are going to be much more attractive once ammo becomes a thing. Personally I plan on training both missiles and drones as my two favorite ships to date are he Garmur and Worm. The cruiser hulls are much more resilient however I've lost or missed out on a lot of kills due to their sluggishness both in travel and targeting.

I think that the Assault Destroyers have a lot of potential, reasonably resilient. frigate fast in assault mode and solid damage profiles if we could combine some these with logi ships and their AOE defense capabilities we'd have a potent little mobile doctrine. Didn't get enough chance to play with logi during the beta, we'll need to spend some more time figuring out those mechanics and how they effect combat.

Personally I'm planning on focusing on frigates and small hulls to start, I'm getting back into a Garmur as soon as I can as that 41km 7 strength point is the most useful killing tool in the entire game.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Bell_ posted:

So, I barely did more than install this. A friend of mine told me there was no PVP in the game after I told him all I'd probably need is a rifter that can tackle people. Is this really going to be the case?

I PvP'd constantly. It just required some effort thought and hunting skill. And honestly not much of that. Like most days I would hop on undock from our home system and do a quick tour of the local belts and anoms and usually catch a neutral wildcatter or ratter.

The roams I was on generally had a fair level of success, the last night despite all the lag bunk we got several kills including a BC and a couple cruisers who just happened to be at the celestial we were rallying on.

My one retriever kill was when I was ratting in fountain and some nuet jumped into system and apparently thought "hmm two people I don't know in here, looks like a good place to mine.

I'm not worried too much about the lag at this point, this is a beta after all and according to the devs it had something like 10x the number of players that they were expecting so they should have a better idea of the compute resources required when it goes live.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

they need sov and to remove/delay local

Blackout almost killed EO, but sure let's kill Echoes in the womb.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

imagine unironically thinking this

half of eve online's population is bots or mass multiboxers, no wonder they quit the day blackout goes live as they can't afk farm in 100% safety

EE doesn't have the same nullsec meta, and introducing a local removal or delay wouldn't hurt the krab base in nearly the same way, but give an actual chance to people wanting to kill people

local has been so fundamentally detrimental to eve online in the long term it's insane- being able to avoid ALL player interaction simply because you pay attention to the window has been the worst thing they could ever develop.

Keep earning that red text. The data is clear, the game took a huge quantifiable hit in activity and logins. You can make all of the emotional appeals you want it's not changing the data.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

go ahead and link to that data buddy

it's shocking a feature that kills nullsec bots (of which there are undebatably thousands) would cause a drop in the player numbers, am i right?

https://imperium.news/its-the-economy-stupid-how-imperfect-data-can-tell-a-perfect-tale/

Here's the thing, people don't play just to be easy victims to lazy gankers, they play to achieve whatever goals they want to achieve, be that ganking freighters, FW, PvP, Null Sec Warfare or just watching their wallets grow. PvP in EVE is by it's very nature unbalanced with the majority of the advantage going to the aggressor once an engagement begins because the aggressor is generally getting to choose the terms of the engagement. They pick targets they believe they can defeat while avoiding those that they are certain to lose against. The imbalance between PVP and PVE fits means that you fit for one or the other. It's easy to say, Well just fit a point, the thing is that a point to someone engaging in PVE activities is a wasted module that serves no benefit to them in their chosen activity in fact it's a detriment because it will be taking the space of something that would be beneficial to their PVE activity, That's one of the things I do like about Echoes is that putting all of the tank gank and prop modules in the lows means that the mids don't give much benefit in PVE so there is little to no loss in efficiency by sticking a point in one.

Then you also have the fact that for PVP you are generally looking for maximum buffer because PVP is a sprint where you are racing you opponent to 0 EHP and if you can reduce their EHP to 0 first you win and then you worry about repairing later, PVE however is a marathon where you are having to tank a lower total dps over a sustained period so regeneration over time is a bigger factor, and save for a few gimmick bait setups, passive shield fits and bleeder fits you don't see active tanks in PVP because damage output of player ships is high enough that active setups simply can't keep up with the incoming dps and will almost always lose the race to 0. Add to that the fact that in order to maximize the efficiency of your PVE activities you need to bling up your mission ships with shinny faction and deadspace modules because let's be honest in general those activities tend to be mind-numbingly boring so you want to spend as little time doing them as you can so that you can spend more time doing other more interesting things. The best way to do that is to maximize your efficiency, so often the ratter is going to be flying billion+ isk fits compared to whatever tech II throwaway most PVPers are going to be using.

The result of this dynamic is that the only truly effective counter to a PVP attack when ratting is evasion, you run away, you dock up and wait for them to get bored or rally friends and turn the dynamic so that they are the hunted and they have to run. This is why Null sec relies on standing fleets and super umbrellas, just like we rely on the police and our militaries to protect us from criminals and other threats when we're at our jobs and aren't expected to walk around packing heat just to be able to answer phone calls or fill out paperwork at our jobs.

What you want is for people who prefer other activities to be served up on a silver platter for your entertainment, which is stupid, entitled and short sighted. You want "all the risk for thee and none for me". And don't talk to me about risk aversion, your preferred EVE activity is so zero risk that you literally have a calculation to decide whether it's worth your time to bother ganking someone and the only counter they had to that was using your own formula to make sure they weren't worth your time then you cried a loving river when CCP fixed the mechanic that you had been exploiting to enable your game-play.

As far as bots go? I don't give a poo poo about bots, never have, never will. They're an economic reality, as long as there are boring, repetitive activities that lend themselves to automation people will try to automate them. As long as there is a demand for something there will be those who will try to fill it. Further people who are botting professionally will find ways around whatever inconveniences are put into place as long as it remains profitable for them to do so and will usually be better at it than the casual players who are most impacted by those same measures. It's also kind of rich for a guy who was flying 8 ship bluestack fleets to whine about other people botting.

I want people playing these games, because without people playing and paying they won't exist. If the casual gamers decide to cancel because they can't hop on and run a couple of anomalies or suck down a few asteroids without getting ganked unless they are spamming dscan every 10 seconds then there won't be any targets to hunt because there won't be a game period. Hunters need prey, and if you make things too difficult or unsafe for the prey then the hunters starve.

This isn't some complex concept to grasp, but apparently it's beyond the ken of the genius elite-pvpers such as yourself.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 17, 2020

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

First of all, all these assumptions are incorrect: you can easily fit a ratting ship to survive pvp encounters, but GOD FORBID ratters hurt their efficiency by 20% to do so! This is a classic carebear highsec pubbie argument- I should be able to fit all the PvE modules I want and should never have to plan around PvPers, and for the most part everyone is able to do this because local existed. Also, god forbid people cooperate and work together to accomplish their goals instead of being able to avoid 100% of interaction simply by looking at a window that alerts them the second a threat presents itself. Your post strikes me as a person who has a brief understanding of eve online but who has actually never hunted in nullsec- I'd like to see your killboard of your massive fleet engagements and a handful of solo pvp kills that are almost exclusively throwaway frigates.

Once again, you're totally missing the point. I'm not asking for what you're saying, I'm saying that simply being able to avoid ALL PLAYER INTERACTION simply by looking at a chat window is absolutely awful game design and balance. I honestly can't see anyone willfully defending local chat existing, and you've done a great job of attacking me and strawmans while avoiding this fact- Do you think local chat is a good thing to have?

Wow and it's almost as if there are a plethora of options for players to utilize to compensate for a local removal and/or delay that aren't currently used because there is absolutely no need. There are groups (per Good Dumplings) that according to him, completely adapted and adapted so hard that it was EASIER to rat than before! Amazing!

My killboard is easily available just search for Skex on zkill. Interestingly while I don't know your EvE character's name(s) I did take a gander through CODE.'s (that's your crew right?) killboard and I'm not seeing a bunch of challenging fights where any real risks were taken, all I see are a bunch of lopsided ganks and concordorking, tell me again how exactly does a Covetor fit to fight off a PVP fit ship again? Exactly how challenging is it to gank a ratter in a pirate battleship?

As far the "assumptions" they aren't incorrect, your own arguments support them you just argue that people should nerf their own efficiency at their chosen activity in order to accommodate yours by demeaning the idea that someone might want to maximize their efficiency which is the very definition of an emotional appeal. Tell me in what way do you have to gimp your PvP fit to gank ratters? Do you have to run specialized fits for that compared to your other PvP activities? There is nothing wrong with my assumptions you just have an emotional argument against the conclusion because it's inconvenient to your position.

Let me make it easier for you, just think of local as an automated constant limited d-scan of the system. All it tells you is if there is someone else in the system and if they are an ally or not, it doesn't tell you whether or not there is anyone next door waiting to jump in. it doesn't tell you what kind of ship they are in, it just tells you their name and standings the most important bit of which is whether or not they are blue so it's also an IFF. Further it's only useful if someone is paying attention to it, plenty of ratters die because they weren't paying attention to local because there were busy concentrating on something else during those critical moments, there's a nice thread in the goonfleet forums devoted to cap pilots who managed to get their shinies killed because they were idiots who couldn't be bothered to follow some basic instructions. Any additional utility of local comes from using intel channels by *Gasp* interacting and cooperating with other players.

It's also kind of :catdrugs: that you dismiss fleet and gang warfare experience while whining about people trying to avoid player interaction, Shooting people isn't the only way to interact with other players in this game. Joining fleets, gangs, corporations, alliances and sharing information are as well, in fact they are the main way to interact with other players.

You want delayed/no local because it gives the aggressor an additional advantage, which is stupid because most the advantages are already given to the aggressor in PvP. the window of warning that local gives the prey is the only advantage that they have during said engagement. that short window where if they are paying attention and react quickly enough they can escape your clutches and you want that removed so that you have an even bigger advantage. And no D scan isn't an answer, even a lovely prober like myself can scan a ship down in less than a minute and a good one will have you pretty well locked down well before a combat probe shows up on dscan.

I was able to catch and kill plenty of victims with local available in EE and I didn't need an eight ship fleet to do it so I guess I just don't view it as the same handicap that you do.

Skex fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 17, 2020

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

"I want to be able to interact with other people, which is why I multi-box 20 accounts"

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

New thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3932792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The Zoomer corp?