Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Sent

I'll be genuinely disappointed if I get wolfed on 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I can only assume you lot have never seen a BMW 2 series Active Tourer.

Not until now, no. Daaaaaamn thats a bad car

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Are you kidding me? A car that does wheelstands and has 840 horsepower was a wolf answer? I am disappointed with every one of you B holes.

I would take pretty much every car listed over the Demon/Hellcat except for the Alfas and the Supra

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dang noone else went for the obvious joke answer?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Subies are reliable as long as you're willing and able to do a lot of preventative maintenance.

Thats not true - Subie's are in reality reliable even with bad maintenace and even under general abuse. The biggest problem is that turbo models get owned by idiots that like to do knock tuning on poo poo fuel then have the shits their piston rings break due to their own stupidity.

Meanwhile in places that use the recommended fuel (98 RON) and dont tune the engine till it knocks and back off half a degree, they go forever. Issues with CVT reliability are industry-wide so I'm not sure you can pin that on Subaru. Issues with older H6's eventually blowing head gaskets seem to be more about climate change has moved the enviroment window outside of original design specs (but again that's a problem for a lot of other cars too)

EJ20 powered Subarus are going to outlive cockroaches in the coming apocalypse

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not surprised Toyota sheeped that high. For a long loving time, the default recommendation for "I don't care about anything but reliability" in a cheap used car has been a Toyota product in one way or another.

It still is because I cant think of ANY brand that still just runs like Toyota.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'd have gone with computer just mainly because while fuel injection has been a real game changer, mechanical fuel injection really isnt that big of a difference over a carb. You just cant do all the micro adjustments with anything less that a ECU watching over the whole thing.

Also you cant have EV's as they now stand without ECU's everywhere in them. Hell, look at most answers and at their core they couldnt really have happened and gotten developed like they have without ECU's or computers. Glovebox big enough for a axe would be designed by CAD now to maximise the use of space in ways car makers just couldnt even 40 years ago.

No one else picked NSU Ro80 :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Modus Man posted:

Exactly. We weren’t going for “that’s sufficient”, we were going for “that’s powerful”.

400 hp out of a 2.0, 500 from a 2.5, 600 from a 3.0, those are numbers that make me think “powerful”

Of course those numbers don’t work when we get to V8’s but those will sadly be extinct soon so why let them ruin my math?

Suppose I could twin turbo my LS2 to 1,200...

Honestly Kw per litre is kinda useless to think about in "powerful". A 160Kw 3 litre in a 1000kg car is going to feel a drat sight more powerful than the same engine in a 2500kg luxo barge. Whats the use of a 300Kw 2 litre turbo if it's not in something light?

Plus...

meatpimp posted:

75Kw/liter has always been an NA benchmark. Forced induction changes the math entirely.

A 6 litre V8 would be 450Kw as a NA - That's a huge whack of power in anyone's language in the right car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

Question 14: I don’t mind working on cars, but any time this job comes up I have to force myself to do it, it’s so miserable.

Cleaning it - 7
Freelop
Deeters
Somewhat Heroic
Modus Man
ephphatha
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Alarbus

HAHA FINALLY (Cleaning blood from the dead hookers is a fair sheeping) - and GG I'm surprised I havent been sheeped until now on this game.

With 15 tomorrow.... I know the obvious answer, still hoping mine gets a decent sheeping.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AWWWWW YISSSS MOOECOW

Edit : hah might sheep 16 with the Holden Roadpacer too

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 30, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I can't believe I forgot about that beautiful Divco. Honestly between that and Keverblas I convinced myself that I too, can join metal together.

The fact Mooecow had no real idea what he was doing, got in waaaay over his head and yet by the end produced two of the best restores is what makes that story. Dont care about my usual Sheep Game silliness, I genuinely think its the best AI has to offer. Keverblas is absolutly amazing too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

Question 15: AI has been around for quite a while now. This is the greatest story to have been told in the entire history of the subforum.

ExplodingSims' Truck - 13
Liquid Communism
The Royal Nonesuch
No Wake
sirr0bin
Elmnt80
Elephanthead
turb
SharkyTM
Fermented Tinal
Deeters
Nebakenezzer
meatpimp
Grakkus

Wondering how many people deliberatly avoided answering that due to the ugly way things went?

quote:

Sockington Rust Adventure - 5
Nitrospazzz
Stevobob
Beverly Cleavage
IOwnCalculus
Alarbus

Keverblas restoration work - 4
StormDrain
heffray
toplitzin
pr0craztinazn

Exhibits why AI is great

quote:

Mooecow and the GMC/Divco - 3
NumbersMatching320i
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Wrar

You two are just the best :D

quote:

Holdbrooks Bosozuku truck - 2
luminalflux
CornHolio

Chickencheese - 2
ephphatha
eaten by a grue

SgtFox's Mazda 323 - 2
Bentai
Dadliest Worrier

ACES:

doogle cracked his own windshield from sheer engine torque, on a Honda Civic of all vehicles - Seat Safety Switch
When I went crazy - The Door Frame
Tremeks wagon(s) saga(s) - McTinkerson
Drag s2k - bolind
Ken's roadtrip involving an entire spare loving drivetrain, and the tools to swap it in. - cursedshitbox
Moving house in a Pinzgauer and 5-ton - InitialDave
Adiabatic and the Chrysler wiring diagram - Kazinsal
Queen Combat knocking down her neighbours door - slothrop
The lease of the forty thousand dollar Altima - Somewhat Heroic
The continuing saga of toplitzin's Volvo P2 troubles. - nadmonk
The Chat Thread support of Queen Combat during her transition - CannonFodder
Adiabatics Almost out of the Woods - Maksimus54
grover's house - Chunjee
Did that guy ever finish his Green 68 Ford Mustang? I forget his username. - Korwen
Bruiser the street sweeper - superdylan
Mazda/NSU wankel rotary engine Renesis - builds character
frozenphil - Powershift
The ever amusing automotive/autoX reviews by Muffinpox - Bajaha

The Daihatsu vs the Mongolian Rally - Slung Blade
sharkytm's DREG - nitsuga
Pass - Freelop
Remember that one time? Remember that? - Modus Man
Racist yellow mustang - LloydDobler
Cursedshitbox's various project buses - Terrible Robot
TT's journey from babby tryhard to genuine cool family dude - Fender Anarchist

More examples of why AI is just the best

quote:

Cat Terrist settling down - Charles

Ummm... thanks? Not sure what to think of that.

quote:

Question 16: The __________ is undoubtedly the strangest engine to have ever made production in a road car (be specific!)

Wankel engine - 30
turb
Maksimus54
luminalflux
Stevobob
IOwnCalculus
Liquid Communism
Elmnt80
Elephanthead
eaten by a grue
Somewhat Heroic
CAT INTERCEPTOR
McTinkerson
sirr0bin
cursedshitbox
superdylan
Deeters
meatpimp
Nitrospazzz
Korwen
Dadliest Worrier
Bajaha
The Door Frame
nitsuga
Fermented Tinal
builds character
Grakkus
Alarbus
Beverly Cleavage
Bentai
Fender Anarchist

Holden Roadpacer with the 13B wankel... yep fair cop that one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

Yeah I guess I was just looking for more of a happy recent thing than a great story. When I read the question I did think of the rise and fall of one of AI's posters and I didn't really want to answer that.

Mental disintergration followed by a long slow climb out certainly aint a bad story :)

Honestly I probably appreciate AI more because of the support in the dark times (even if the rapid accquiration of Subarus WAS amusing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just because I loved Mooecow's thread so much, here it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104932

Keverblas

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336130

Sockington

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2814857

Tekh's loving amazing S2000

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810046

CursedShitBox

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783526

Doocers buys a Volvo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428752

ExplodingSims

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773374

Adiabatic - somewhere in there I think is the Chrysler wiring and the absolute amazing Almost Out of The Woods fate of his S2000

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3672020