Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Submitted, I tried to keep it to an even mix of wolf and sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My goal is to try to sheep every answer but to sheep with as few people as possible. I thought the Type-R was going to be a shoe-in for that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Deeters posted:

Yeah, no way a $1000 Craigslist car is going to pass inspection in New England

A $1k beater in Ontario has a good chance of coming with a safety already done. I only put $1k down because I was worried $500 was gonna be top sheep even though $500 is what I'd consider true beater territory.

My $1k is in Canadian dollars.

Top 15, ugh. This is not what I wanted.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

I play the auctions, $1k could actually get me 5 beaters, but my neighbors would hate me.

When the local cops here started offloading CVPIs, you could get them at auction for a few hundred dollars each. Fleet-maintained and w/safety. They are probably the cheapest "beater" you can get in Ontario and, while they are usually hogged out and have a billion km on them, they aren't the worst vehicles on the road by a long shot.

I kinda regret not doing buying one back when they were a common sight at auction but, if I was gonna get a Ford cop car it would have to be an 80s LTD P72.

Basically, in rural Ontario you can offload a shitpile-but-running car for a couple hundred bucks and probably see it on the road with plates the same day. Lots of people do get valid safety inspects but there is no shortage of mechanics willing to charge 250-300 (roughly twice the cost of legitimate) to take on the risk of saying your shitheap is roadworthy. It's theoretically possible you could end up paying more for the bum safety than the car.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 25, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh god, top three, this is a sheep game disaster.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

Fiat / Chrysler / Fiat-Chrysler should all count as the same answer, imo. It's one company.

Also Alfa Romeo.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

MrChips posted:

You could make a case they should all be put together, but I took a pretty hard line when it came to combining answers for this question in particular, since it didn't really seem right for someone who said Chrysler specifically to be combined with someone who said Alfa specifically, same parent company or not. Plus, I did the same thing on the opposite question, breaking Lexus and Toyota apart.

I can see your reasoning, but maybe using the word "brand" instead of "manufacturer" muddied the waters a bit since reliability is probably consistent across most manufacturers' marques.

As for who really gets to be top dog on reliability; Despite being a Toyota guy I'd argue Honda is still top dog, if only barely and I am surprised Toyota sheeped higher. Both of them need to step up or they'll be on par with GM and Ford soon enough. I do not have a high opinion of Mazda but I do understand they're generally not awful (mine was awful), but Mazda is also Japanese Ford, Nissan is basically Japanese Renault, I read way too many Subaru horror-stories on this very forum for them to be considered, and Mitsubishi is Japanese Chrysler and therefore poo poo. Hyundai has improved significantly but is not quite there yet. Across the big pond, Ford and GM are superior to FCA and I think it's safe to say nobody here is broken enough to think any FCA product is reliable. Across the littler pond reliability does not seem to be a priority and thusly counts out all of Europe and the rest of continental Asia.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 26, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not surprised Toyota sheeped that high. For a long loving time, the default recommendation for "I don't care about anything but reliability" in a cheap used car has been a Toyota product in one way or another.

If you want a reliable and cheap used car you really can't go wrong with the three Cs, even now. Camry, Corolla, Civic. Two of 'em are Toyotas.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have exactly twice as many points as I wanted to have by the end of this.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Nah, see, that's the 75th anniversary of the model. If anything around that time the Mustang is gonna have a throwback design.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's why I went with the last car to be turned into a crossover, though let's be fair Mitsu will be dead along with the rest of us because CAT is right

Meanwhile the Honda Civic has changed dramatically over the course of its existence. It's gone from a tiny, cheap, subcompact that was little more than a kei with a bigger engine to a sporty compact that is highly variant in looks and pricing across trim levels. You could probably fit a first gen inside the cabin of a current gen hatchback.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 29, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I wolfed with the Caravan, seriously? The one well-known vehicle that has undergone the least change in the last two decades.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was hoping I'd wolf 15, but I guess not.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Door Frame posted:

That's not a lot of specificity
Did you know that there was an actual production rotary that was put into a gasoline/H2 bifuel RX-8? As far as I'm aware, they only ever built 33, but it happened

I specified the 10A, the first one Mazda was actually willing to put into a production vehicle.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

Adiabatic correctly armchair diagnosed it and it was something absolutely insane like a defectively wired window switch.

I vaguely remember this, iirc the switch was connected backwards and it was backfeeding power to the ignition coil or some equally stupid thing, preventing the engine from shutting off.

Just Chrysler Things.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'll take 187 :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Next year there is a chance to usurp IOC's sheep throne.

Bajaha, NitroSpazzz, you have a year to train.