Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1209796145951772672?s=21

A Christmas surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Got a DE-10 Nano for Christmas :toot:

If anyone notices any good cases that are actually in stock, please update the thread.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve been keeping mine in an iPhone box that I drilled holes in until I can get a proper case made. My library wouldn’t let me use their 3D printer for non educational purposes so I’ll just have to wait I guess.

The OP has been very informative, and I can’t wait to see what advancements await in 2020!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

katkillad2 posted:

Got a DE-10 Nano for Christmas :toot:

If anyone notices any good cases that are actually in stock, please update the thread.

The worst part about getting one of these right now has been all the reputable sellers having massive backlogs and it being the holidays. Waiting on parts has really sucked.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

The worst part about getting one of these right now has been all the reputable sellers having massive backlogs and it being the holidays. Waiting on parts has really sucked.

I'm figuring that out extremely fast :smith:. Misteraddons basically stopped selling everything it looks like.

Speaking of this issue, can anyone vouch for this seller? https://www.legacypixels.com/mister/

edit: Well I emailed legacypixels and they don't require a F&F payment, so that's a good sign. Going to give them a try. Will update later.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 26, 2019

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Small update on that F1 Dream core: if you were getting the lovely spritemap behavior in Tiger Road and Bionic Commando, you’re gonna see it in F1 Dream, too. Solution at this time appears to be upgrade to 128mb ram and run away from the 32mb winbond chip.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

katkillad2 posted:

I'm figuring that out extremely fast :smith:. Misteraddons basically stopped selling everything it looks like.

Speaking of this issue, can anyone vouch for this seller? https://www.legacypixels.com/mister/

edit: Well I emailed legacypixels and they don't require a F&F payment, so that's a good sign. Going to give them a try. Will update later.

:smith::hf::smith:

I was able to get in an order with zerohimself before he stopped taking them for the year, but I included a BlisSTer in mine, so I'm probably not getting it for another month. That's the order that has my RAM and IO board in it, so until I get that, there aren't a ton of cores I can use, and I don't have an OTG hub or adaptor anyway, so . . . yeah.

I'm also waiting on a case from misteraddons.com from when he briefly opened up orders for the BlisSTer case a few days ago. I guess he had four extras that weren't accounted for, so he quick put them up for sale. Theoretically, that should arrive pretty quickly, but until I get my other order, it's not gonna be too useful.

In the meantime, I got my microSD card set up and got it backing poo poo up to my Nextcloud instance. So, I should be all good to go once I get my parts. It's just gonna be a while.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LOuWC4dqw

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Good heckin lord - first the throttle, now this! Someone PLEASE get the savestate code to the Genesis core? I would really like to play King’s Bounty and not have to do it in a single sitting.

HMC
May 18, 2009

What controllers are everyone using for arcade games? I’ve got plenty of controllers/adapters to get by for console games, but I haven’t invested in any kind of arcade stick, but certain games (like Pac Man) never feel quite right with an 8-way controller. Are there any affordable ways to play paddle/spinner games like Pong or Arkanoid?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

HMC posted:

What controllers are everyone using for arcade games? I’ve got plenty of controllers/adapters to get by for console games, but I haven’t invested in any kind of arcade stick, but certain games (like Pac Man) never feel quite right with an 8-way controller. Are there any affordable ways to play paddle/spinner games like Pong or Arkanoid?

I use an N30 in a pinch, but that’s only until I construct Operation: Geoffrey, Break Out Lucille.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I use an N30 in a pinch

Pretty sure I saw the 8Bitdo N30 go on sale multiple times on Amazon, now it's not in stock. Kicking myself for not buying one when it was on sale. Don't think that would solve the issue for arcade games like Pacman and Ghosts 'N Goblins, unless you can buy a gate for it or replace the stick.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Pretty sure I saw the 8Bitdo N30 go on sale multiple times on Amazon, now it's not in stock. Kicking myself for not buying one when it was on sale. Don't think that would solve the issue for arcade games like Pacman and Ghosts 'N Goblins, unless you can buy a gate for it or replace the stick.

The stick is replaceable, although depending on how you mount it, you may end up ditching the default shell.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'd be into a spinner controller as well. Arkanoid is one of my favorite games and nothing else feels quite right.

For arcade games I've been using a Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro. It's overkill, and feels absolutely ridiculous to play Neo Geo games on the MiSTer using a stick with a board inside that can also play Neo Geo games.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

HMC posted:

If you are using a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick you can just turn the square gate into a 4-way. Unless you want something with leaf-switches to be extra period accurate. If you don't own a stick at all just grab a last gen Hori, Mad Catz or Qanba stick and you'll be squared away for 99% of arcade games. Though it's kind of a rabbit hole once you start getting into customizing with parts and making exclusive genre/platform/game use arcade sticks.

That being said, I should pick up some rotary sticks before someone gets to the older pre-neogeo SNK cores.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 31, 2019

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I know the "Is x going to be on MiSTer" gets asked a lot, but does anyone know if the 3DO has a chance to show up on MiSTer? I know I think I heard the PS1 is being worked on, I just don't know where the 3DO fits in with those consoles as far as complexity is concerned.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

HMC posted:

I got my MiSTer about a week ago, and I've been using either an SN30 Pro or a Retrobit USB Saturn controller depending on the pad layout for the core I'm playing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

katkillad2 posted:

I know the "Is x going to be on MiSTer" gets asked a lot, but does anyone know if the 3DO has a chance to show up on MiSTer? I know I think I heard the PS1 is being worked on, I just don't know where the 3DO fits in with those consoles as far as complexity is concerned.

As far as I know, which aint drat near enough, it's probably physically possible, but no ones working on it, and it would be a lot of work.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Apparently the GBA core now has save state capability!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone started on a Capcom CPS2 core? That's probably what would get me to jump in.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Has anyone started on a Capcom CPS2 core? That's probably what would get me to jump in.

Be on the lookout for Jotego. He’s going through Capcom titles starting at CPS0. In the process, he is building the “architecture” necessary for CPS1. I can’t imagine that CPS2 is out of range, but it’s probably a year or 2 out unless someone surprises us.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I received everything I ordered from https://www.legacypixels.com/mister/ but haven't tested yet.

Also https://misteraddons.com/ seems to be back online, ordered a case!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

As good a place as any to put this: I was having a bummer of a day, and then it was suggested that I stream the ColecoVision core with Gyruss.

So I did. And I broke my Coleco marks real heckin good. So good that the dude who covers cores on YouTube, Andrew Moore, wanted to feature me.

https://youtu.be/vTIPQI6C3HE

Link to my run: https://youtu.be/O3Od5XVEB9Q

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

So I did. And I broke my Coleco marks real heckin good. So good that the dude who covers cores on YouTube, Andrew Moore, wanted to feature me.

lmao

Hell yeah

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Thanks for the USB hub pointer. I kept looking at the USB boards on the reseller sites and they all go for like $40-$50 it seems and that's just way too much for me right now

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Haven't hopped on the mister bandwagon yet, are there any cases that are more interesting than a brick shape? Perhaps mimicking and old console or something.

It seems like it's thicc layout may prevent something like this?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

falz posted:

Haven't hopped on the mister bandwagon yet, are there any cases that are more interesting than a brick shape? Perhaps mimicking and old console or something.

It seems like it's thicc layout may prevent something like this?

It doesn't seem like it, I'm using one of the misteraddons acrylic cases (in the slightly-green tinted glass look) at the moment. Part of the problem is that its got ports on different sides, so you're looking at using a bunch of extension cables. Though I suppose you could design a PCB that just relocates HDMI and power to the back, and maybe has a USB hub to put 2-4 ports on the front.

I've definitely seen discussion about cases and consolization, it seems like people are waiting for a real GUI/launcher before they get there.

Personally, I'd like to see a case with internal room for a hard drive and a couple of either internal or rear USB ports for bluetooth/wifi/2.4ghz keyboard plugs and controller ports on the front. There was set of 3D printed parts to mount a Pi in a Model 1 Genesis (with 4 USB ports - 2 for the controllers, 2 under the Sega CD connector door) that had room to mount a bare drive w/USB adapter, something like that could be adaptable. Especially if you didn't need the IO board/VGA connector.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Yeah exactly. A case with some whitespace, run cable extenders to ports in logical locations (joysticks in front, network, power etc in back).

Can one use ribbon cables to connect the stacking modules to each other? If so then it could be slimmer and could just re-use some other console's case as a one off project.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

falz posted:

Can one use ribbon cables to connect the stacking modules to each other? If so then it could be slimmer and could just re-use some other console's case as a one off project.

I've done it on the Pi (it works with what's basically an old IDE extender), so I'd imagine it's doable.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Arg. I have some code for the SNES core I want to test before submitting a pull request, but I still don't have my RAM. It probably won't be here for another couple weeks, too. I'm really loving what I've been able to play so far, but waiting for parts for this really sucks. Like, by the time I finally get my RAM and IO board, it'll be two months since I put in the order. And the BlisSTer won't get here for another month, probably, after that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Yeah, the three week gap between getting my MiSTer and the RAM + cooling PCB arriving was painful. To get by I pretended it was a nicer Genesis Mini.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, the three week gap between getting my MiSTer and the RAM + cooling PCB arriving was painful. To get by I pretended it was a nicer Genesis Mini.

Don't Forget SuperGrafx/TurboGrafx and GBA!

I broke down and ordered a 32 MB SDRAM on eBay that got here just after Christmas.

My 128 MB is not due for another 2-3 weeks.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I just got my DE10 board on order. I am thinking of printing my own case down at my local library, anyone got suggestions on plans?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I've got everything I need except the case, which I guess has no eta even though I got an order in. I kind of don't want to put it together without the case to avoid some hassle, but I should probably test these parts.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

shaitan posted:

I just got my DE10 board on order. I am thinking of printing my own case down at my local library, anyone got suggestions on plans?

The guy who runs misteraddons.com released the files for the one he used to sell, and somebody made a variant that integrates the bottom piece. Both of them assume you have both the IO board and the USB board.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I've been thinking about video settings lately.

Stock MiSTer looks pretty dang nice on a 4K tv, but I'm a fan of razor sharp pixels and pronounced scanlines so I dug into the ini file and changed vscale mode to 2 for .5 integer scaling then installed the custom filters and went with Scanlines (Sharper) at 30 weight. This looks a little crisper to my eye, but not perfect. I might try tinkering with the resolution and 1x integer scaling.

Does anyone have a setup they're particularly happy with?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

So I set everything up last night, putting the parts together and setting up the SD card. For anyone who hasn't already, I suggest making friends and getting into the discord of the few people who are sharing the pre-built pack. I can only assume it saved 10+ hours of time/hassle.

All of the consoles seemed to work without issue. I only briefly messed around with the old computer stuff but that seemed hit or miss. I tried to get a MSX game going and it crashed and now won't load at all. For a lot of them, seems you need to know the actual syntax to get some games going.

I've also got a Mega SG, so I was doing some brief comparisons having them both on and switching inputs. Visually, it was hard to notice any difference. The one thing the Mega SG has is an advantage in sound. The default on the MiSTer sounded muddy/muffled to me, some of the other preset options were better, but nothing quite as nice as how I have it set up on the Mega SG.

None of the arcade stuff is working, I assume I'm probably missing a step somewhere.

The biggest problem I'm having is, I'm using an 8Bitdo M30 2.4g controller connected with a USB cable and the input lag is unplayable. I don't know if there's a step I'm missing/something I need to update, or if I need a dedicated wired controller.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

So I set everything up last night, putting the parts together and setting up the SD card. For anyone who hasn't already, I suggest making friends and getting into the discord of the few people who are sharing the pre-built pack. I can only assume it saved 10+ hours of time/hassle.

What pack is this? The smokemonster pack?

Is there a newer version of this?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

None of the arcade stuff is working, I assume I'm probably missing a step somewhere.

If you open your _Arcade folder, do you see a bunch of .mra files? or a bunch of .rbf files?

They are like 99.9% of the way to moving all to a new, easier, arcade standard that just uses mame roms instead of custom built rom files. If you're using a premade set, it's probably set up the old way, but the update script may have set up your file structure the new way, so things aren't auto-loading for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The pack is also like a year old so it's missing many of the arcade games anyway.