Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Kind of a fan of the 0mhz DOS effort, instead of making one big VHD like Top300, they do it by game so you're not laden with stuff you don't want or care to play. They're setup like you were starting up a core and boots directly into the game and if you need to change settings just back out in to the command line and do your business like good ol' DOS. Highly recommended. It's pretty democratized even so people can make their own images. Way easier to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The thing maybe worth keeping in mind with PSX savestates is that unlike some of the other cores with them it's slightly harder to find buttons to map save/load to because of how many buttons the dual shock used. So I usually do savestates in the OSD rather than use a macro on the controller.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Kind of a fan of the 0mhz DOS effort, instead of making one big VHD like Top300, they do it by game so you're not laden with stuff you don't want or care to play. They're setup like you were starting up a core and boots directly into the game and if you need to change settings just back out in to the command line and do your business like good ol' DOS. Highly recommended. It's pretty democratized even so people can make their own images. Way easier to manage.

Very cool, thanks for the heads up on these.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Apparently some of the MARS folks have been pulling down their MiSTer core repos (Atrac17 has been yanking a bunch) and skipping the MiSTer when releasing new cores for other platforms like the Analogue Pocket (the WWE Wrestlefest core, apparently). And, uh, then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMfadF_U3c

Sounds like a great way to build goodwill amongst prospective customers. Another win from the MARS PR folks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
When retro games are involved, drama is soon to follow. A universal constant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Specifically the arcade-offset part of the update seem to be broken, and I guess the arcade-db that would ostensibly be used to grab ROMs for MAME now has broken links or sets (not entirely sure how this works tbh) so many games will fail to download. Arcade Offset can be manually disabled in update_all so that's easy enough to avoid and I wonder if short term it's alright to just manually download the MAME ROMs (you'd get a list of what failed to download at the end of the update_all/downloader log). I'm uncertain what other short term work arounds or issues would arise from such a situation.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Atrac is a turd and pram0d seems like he's full of himself.

The writing was on the wall when they made Wrestlefest pocket exclusive. God I hate this poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
As with most scene dramas I don’t really get the motives. Can the pulled cores be taken off my mister when I update?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I backed up my _Arcade folder and did not notice anything different when I ran update_all this morning (with arcade-offset disabled). Though it might not be the worst idea for to wait for theypsilon or whomever to overhaul the script to avoid issues. I think the main problem is a fresh install trying to pull stuff down via mame-getter and not being able to get stuff.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Never gonna understand the clashing egos over this stuff. It's so loving obnoxious.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The only real loss for me with the offset DB is SF2:Rainbow but I'll live if I lose it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I mean it's making my decision easier whether to buy a Mister or wait for a more powerful device (choosing the one with less drama is a priority).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Scene drama is always a possibility for pretty much anything.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Atrac has always been part of the vocal subset of mister affiliates who was ousted from the community for being toxic.
They openly challenged the core contributors and then got mad when things didn't go their way. A bunch of them seem to have gotten together and are now actively working on the MARS and CoinOP collection and have been lurking in the discords and twitters and starting poo poo whenever they can.

Atrac wasn't even like a real FPGA developer and it appears that he only really contributed to cores with offsets and testing. He's probably learned some stuff based on how much he's been involved with now but he's openly talked about his dream being going back to university to get a bachelors in EE so who knows.

Outside of being the face of the coinop crew he was the guy responsible for some alternate linux OS (MOnSieurFPGA) for mister that was supposedly better and more secure for _reasons_. Yet another one of his things that he started and then abandoned because everyone else thought it was stupid lol.

His MO has been to find other people who haven't been involved or people who've been pushed out to join his little cabal and then he's been feeding them lies to make them think MARS would be the premier retro games platform to work for instead of contributing to the _evil_ mister project.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I forgot he did that monsieur poo poo what a fuckin clown lmfao

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Ahhh, excellent, more scene drama. I was worried for once that I could enjoy something without a whole bunch of white noise spoiling the experience. It's truly unfortunate that a lot of talented people have simultaneously both the largest and thinnest egos.

Stuff like this doesn't exactly make me excited for the MARS thing, even if I'm still skeptical that it even exists beyond some notebook sketches and a lot of sentences that start with "I'm planning to..."

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Well this drama is pretty minor in the scheme of things and I wouldn't know anything about it if I wasn't reading this thread.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Atrac was also being a dick about Robert Peip stopping work on the N64 core to try creating his own game.

The MiSTer community has repeatedly achieved things that were considered pipe dreams, and I think it’s in large part thanks to a stable platform and affordable hardware (especially when Intel were subsidising the FPGA). The MARS clowns don’t have that going for them.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Pretty sure Atrac was one of the people claiming the Pixel Morph scaler was vaporwear, pretty ironic.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I glanced through the discord and it appears that the arcade-offset repo simply moved and is not related to whatever drama is going on.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I'm more confused as to whether or not CoinOP / Pram0d taking down their repositories and making them private would be a violation of whatever OSS license they chose or not.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 9, 2024

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Probably not. No boilerplate OSS license obligates you to host code in perpetuity. Permissive licenses like MIT or ASL let anyone do practically whatever they want with the code. Copyleft licenses like GPL would prohibit you from taking code private and continuing to publish releases that include it, but they don't prohibit the code's copyright owner from relicensing their code to allow that. Projects generally only get into a messy situation when they try to relicense copyleft-licensed code with many authors, since they all have to consent to the new license. Most such projects avoid that situation by requiring contributors to sign a CLA that gives up copyright for their contributions, e.g. Linux.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rubellavator posted:

Well this drama is pretty minor in the scheme of things and I wouldn't know anything about it if I wasn't reading this thread.

On the one hand, yeah. On the other, it's people clearly being dicks for no reason, and it's kinda soured me on the whole MARS thing, if it even makes it to a real product.

Rubellavator posted:

I glanced through the discord and it appears that the arcade-offset repo simply moved and is not related to whatever drama is going on.

Nah, it got taken down with no notice. Some folks have forks of the repo, but there wasn't any coordinated effort to move stuff elsewhere. Atrac17's repo seems to be back for now, but who knows how long that'll last.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I swear the community gets more worked up about the drama than the people who are actually involved.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

well I tried doing a fresh install with update_all today and nothing worked so the drama is affecting users.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Don't run any of the optional repositories (arcade offset is the cause) and it will work.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

dishwasherlove posted:

Don't run any of the optional repositories (arcade offset is the cause) and it will work.

It's not that right now. That got put back. A lot of the archive.org stuff for arcade ROMs (basically anything that depends on MAME set 0.229 or after) got nuked along with the rest of this, and that's still gone. Somebody's gonna need to update the arcade ROMs repo with new locations for the missing ROMs for that to work again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It probably should have been appreciated how convenient it was that the arcade db pointed to an archive.org collection that made setting up those cores so easy but it probably should not have been ultimately relied upon. A new one may get built to fix things but it may be safer/easier ultimately to have the update produce a filelist of MAME .zips that it's up to the user to track down..

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah technically update_all is an unofficial combination of scripts to streamline Mister updates, but it's legally gray/illegal because it auto sources roms and bios files among other things.
The new 0Mhz update scripts are the same thing.

Officially the Mister Distribution repository is like the only main thing you really need, and everything else is community sourced and maintained addons that improve the QoL.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh look, a newer FPGA that isn't actually vaporware! It's being chatted about on the Jotego Discord and seems like it's a step up from the DE10, with an open architecture so it can be built by anyone.

It's called the SiDi128

quote:

Features

FPGA Cyclone 10 LP 10CL120.
SDRAM 128Mb / 2x 64Mb dual memory.
MCU ATSAMV71.
QSPI allows data transfer high-speed communication between MCU > SD > FPGA.
Ethernet.
RTC.
Deltasigma and I2S PCM5102 chip.
Digital video output (HDMI).
VGA dac R2R 8bits.
Toslink optical audio output.
2x DB9 Joystick ports, Port A Megadrive compatible pinout, Port B selectable Megadrive/Amiga compatible pinout.
4x USB ports.
Audio In.
Expansion port 6x2 pins.

gkralicek posted:

Price is 320 euros + VAT. Official launch will be on the 15th of April on manuferhi.com. So far most of the MisTer cores have been already ported (even PSX) to SiDi128 and are available for download on manuferhi github. The schematics will be available for public use on launching day in case some people desire to build up their own PCB.

jotego posted:

I think the price is very good. The FPGA has 3x more logic elements than MiSTer although a bit less internal RAM. The board has two independent 64MB SDRAM chips that are reliably connected to the FPGA. From a developer point of view, it looks good! We'll have to use a bit to discover its quirks.
What I don't like is that, as of today, it forces you to convert the mra files to .rom files. I hope they work on the firmware to do that on the fly, even if it is slower than on MiSTer. MRA files are the best thing around for both developers and users.

Sounds like a reliable replacement for when the DE10 goes out of production, and it has the potential of dealing with certain arcade hardware that was becoming problematic to implement on the DE10. Plus, it has the advantage of already coming with stuff built-in we would mostly have to buy extra accessories for.

I'm giddy, too. The MARS people burned bridges with nearly everyone and now this comes out and steals their thunder? Oh no! Say it ain't so!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 12, 2024

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The onboard Linux OS has on MiSTer feels like a pretty big feature and ecosystem beyond basic io. Am I just not thinking about it right?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
So with those files gone from archive.org for the moment will running update_all result in me losing anything already on my system?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've run update_all a few times in the past few days and have not seen anything deleted. I think, broadly speaking, nothing ever gets deleted unless there is a new version to replace it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

root of all eval posted:

The onboard Linux OS has on MiSTer feels like a pretty big feature and ecosystem beyond basic io. Am I just not thinking about it right?

Personally, I really appreciate it, but I don't know whether that's the case for everybody.

Still, with the board layout for that SiDi128 thing being open source, I could see somebody possibly taking it and adding a cheap SOC to it to allow for the sorts of things we have on MiSTer today.

Nate RFB posted:

I've run update_all a few times in the past few days and have not seen anything deleted. I think, broadly speaking, nothing ever gets deleted unless there is a new version to replace it.

update_all just uses the downloader. And, yeah, the downloader will never delete files that go missing from upstream because it can't connect to a source. I can't remember whether it can delete files in any other circumstances (other than an update), but either way, for this situation, it's not going to delete any of the missing stuff.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
theypsilon in discord:

quote:

Update_all is like git pull origin main
If somebody deletes stuff in the remote, it will delete it locally too
If a given remote is missing, it won’t do anything and show an error instead
If remote stays unchanged, then it’s idempotent unless you changed anything relevant in your local config

There is an option to avoid deletions but that will fill your SD with many old files, use at your own risk
Check it in downloader readme file

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Cross posting from emulation thread

I'm working on an emulation station like GUI browser for MiSTer and wanted to solicit feedback. Figured this is a good thread.

What scraper data sources and interfaces do you use when curating Meta data?

I'm considering coupling myself pretty tightly to the gamelist.xml model and parallel media folder for each core.

I'm torn between a custom scraper engine against screenscraper API or just consuming the XML and punting the scraping to other tools.

Also let me know if you went about culling larger sets of their beta/hacks/etc for scraping, or whether you went full completionist.

I'm at a crossroads where I didn't know whether to check the XML and use it to sweeten directory listings, or lean in and make it the requirement for the UI since it's meant to be a media based GUI anyway. The main core menus already provide directory browsing based on filenames and dirs

I think the main use case will be browsing local sets with media, but I won't be surprised to find out there are folks with 2500 SNES roms in their gamelist.xml

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Tbh a big part of me wants to scrape it all myself, and save them all out as longlowercasetrimmedalphanumeric.json/jpg/png and put them up on archive.org so as to avoid the need for scraping and deduping and be able to do quick filename based lookups.

The problem scraping tries to solve is the 20 revisions of the same "game" with different names that a regex can handle 95% of the time anyway. But there is probably a big subset of users with existing scrapes and collections I should maybe just accept.

I'll see what the API looks like when I get approved

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Retroarch/LibRetro/Lakka has their own database and images that they curate and you can just download a zip pack that has all the thumbnails. They get over the ROM matching problem by maintaining a master reference list of MD5s that your ROM file has to match or it won't show in their GUI.

Other places for indexing metadata you could use would be the giantbomb wiki or the IGDB.

The thing im curious about is what Analogue and Polymega are doing for their metadata.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

w00tazn posted:

Retroarch/LibRetro/Lakka has their own database and images that they curate and you can just download a zip pack that has all the thumbnails.

This was a blind spot to me and very very helpful. I wanted an open source standards based data set even if it is basically married to no-intro and redump sets. Very cool, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I feel like I'm trying to do too much simultaneously with my mister setup and its causing me problems. Specifically with ao486.

I have an analog out board, attached to it is a vga cable going into a 1x4 powered vga splitter. One out goes to my 15khz PVM via a vga to RGBH/V, another output goes to a 31khz vga CRT, and a third has a svideo/composite adapter attached to it that also goes into the PVM for cores that look more authentic over those formats (Apple II, Genesis etc). On the HDMI side of things, I'm plugging into a 1440p computer monitor.

When I'm using the RGB out everything works great; I get dual video etc. I recently set up the 0mhz dos collection and set up a flag in the mister.ini file that turns the scan doubler on when the core is loaded so it can output to the VGA CRT monitor. However I'd like to get a more authentic look and feel out of the core. Over on the Mister wiki, there are settings for mode switching for ao486. The notes say to turn on variable refresh rate in the core for 70hz mode.

When I apply these settings and fire up a dos game in ao486 (Commander Keen 2 became my test program), the mode switching activates and the HDMI out looks atrocious, which I expected. The VGA seems to work, but the game refuses to load and instead sits on the loading Hard Drive screen. In other games they crash to a dos prompt or say an illegal operation occurred. If I remove all the code in the ini for mode switching and turn the scan doubler back on, output goes back to "normal" but the games I attempted to load earlier still crash in the same ways. They don't fix themselves until I delete them and redownload the vhd images from the script, suggesting that something in the mode switching is corrupting the vhd files.

While the wiki doesn't outright state it, I'm beginning to suspect these modes are meant for direct video (hdmi to vga adapter) rather than through the analog board. Or at the very least only having one output active. My preferred solution would be to have the analog board output whatever the game wants to the vga CRT monitor and the HDMI gets a fixed resolution/refresh rate output (for capture or displaying on non CRT monitors).

I can't seem to find any method for doing that however. Does anyone know if there are ini settings I can apply that only affect the analog video out as opposed to both HDMI and analog?

One additional question; in the ini_settings.sh script that update_all downloads, there are settings for video_mode_ntsc and video_mode_pal. In the ini settings script, it says both are set to 640x480 60hz. When I first set up the mister those were not set, and I didn't change them. When I look at the ini file directly, both fields are commented out with no values attached.
I do have both modes defined for the amiga core and its various modes though; does the ini_settings.sh script not see those as per core settings? If I'm setting up per core parameters in the mister.ini file, should I just delete that script so things don't get confused?