Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Braggart posted:

So while looking for something new to make fun of Boris for, I accidentally stumbled on a Spectator article comparing notable Tories to figures from classical Greece and Rome. You see, Boris is like Pericles because he likes younger women and the sound of his own voice, and the article continues in just as deeply considered a fashion.

Now, while this may seem pretty shallow, it's still better-researched than Boris Johnson's historical allusions. And who could deny that Tony Blair's devolution measures were like the division of the Roman Empire into two halves? In fact I would argue that the upcoming referendum on Scottish independence will be the beginning of our Crisis of the Third Century, with Corbyn of Gallia and Sturgeon of Palmyra striking at the embattled center, led by the noble Emperor Boris.

Oh god, The Spectator is awful. Tory MPs as Harry Potter characters would be as useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I am glad the last thread managed to get to Drugs Number Page 420 once again. Good work, goons. Now reject the order of creation, usher in the age of sin, annihilate godly values and get this election bonanza to 666 :justpost:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Obligatory

Also,

E: Oh right, there's a front page https://www.somethingawful.com/news/fiscally-billionaire/

RockyB fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 1, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

We're gonna win it, comrades

We're gonna blow this political system wide open

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?

also hell of an OP

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

baka kaba posted:

also hell of an OP

It kind if looks like it says "FOR BREXIT, A BRIGHTER FUTURE"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 1, 2019

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Had a bit of a wobble a few days ago and had to tap out of politics for a while following Corbyn's Neil interview when the full weight of the establishment felt like it was really bearing down on my shoulders, but now I'm fully recharged and back again for the final stretch. We're going to loving win this :newdanger:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

We're gonna win it, comrades

We're gonna blow this political system wide open

Please don't post stuff like this, I don't want my heart broken from disappointment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: The shatter'd heart restor'd is forged in ire, and temper'd by grief.

baka kaba posted:

Fuckin' :lol:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 1, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Give me five minutes and a hammer and I'll keep his racist fuckin kneecaps in a jar tbh.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think they’re showing themselves as just weak and desperate by clinging to the whole terrorism angle with this. It’s awful that people died of course, but fundamentally this event was a relative damp squib. Last election had a similar attack AND the Manchester bombing that was a level of magnitude worse and it didn’t really move the needle. Going full racist police state because a weirdo stabbed two people just looks absurd.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
boris johnson's dad wishes that michael gove was his son. boris hiding under the covers somewhere making theatrical a-bloo-bloo sobs as he cowers, great greasy tears staining his half melted face, and he knows that micheal gove - michael gove - is braver, more dignified, and evidently preferred, by his racist prick of a father. somewhere, micheal gove is trying to convince a security guard at an aquarium that as he is a fish, he should be allowed into the tanks to procreate and boris wishes so passionately that it were he instead.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Well guys, its finally time for us to make a genuinely important political decision as a country, what could possibly go wrong?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think they’re showing themselves as just weak and desperate by clinging to the whole terrorism angle with this. It’s awful that people died of course, but fundamentally this event was a relative damp squib. Last election had a similar attack AND the Manchester bombing that was a level of magnitude worse and it didn’t really move the needle. Going full racist police state because a weirdo stabbed two people just looks absurd.

2 murders a day is pretty close to the statistical average for the UK so like, even if terrorism was a good reason to abolish human rights, I think we need one a bit stronger than this. Also yeah the tories aren't credible on law and order anymore at all, between police cuts and having had nine years to improve things if they do indeed need improved.

e; It's a powerful, powerful article by Johnson, just full on every trope that exists, claiming he can't even do anything on national security until after Brexit is done, amazing lmao

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 1, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't read the article and I'm not going to but I feel confident in saying that every point he makes is total horseshit and also that he smells very strongly of piss.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just think, by the time this thread is closed, Jez will be in No. 10.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhatEvil posted:

Think it's safe to say that my prediction last month that

quote:

This thread's gonna be poppin', and next month's is going to be poppin' off
is likely to be borne out because once those results start rolling in and we see Jezza's bangin' majority it's going to get rowdy

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

willie_dee posted:

Please don't post stuff like this, I don't want my heart broken from disappointment.

God drat it

WhatEvil posted:

Ms Adequate posted:

is likely to be borne out because once those results start rolling in and we see Jezza's bangin' majority it's going to get rowdy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

That impromptu interview with Owen Jones is about 2 hr 20 into that Nolan show on 5 live and omg, it’s amazing

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Hope (and act) for the best, expect the worst

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol, that radio show just goes off the rails after that, it’s hilarious

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
gently caress me goons something massive just exploded. I’m in St Albans but twitter heard it for 30 miles around

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Jel Shaker posted:

That impromptu interview with Owen Jones is about 2 hr 20 into that Nolan show on 5 live and omg, it’s amazing

Got a link? I tried googling but couldn't find it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Saros posted:

Got a link? I tried googling but couldn't find it.

I used the bbc radio app, but if you’re outside the UK I’m not sure

It’s totally worth it though, the air just gets so tense

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

HopperUK posted:

gently caress me goons something massive just exploded. I’m in St Albans but twitter heard it for 30 miles around

Yeah apparently people have heard it in Tooting.

Must've been something loving massive.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Maybe a jet breaking the sound barrier overhead?

Not seeing any photos coming up of anything having exploded and it apparent happened 15 minutes ago.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Maybe it was a plane yeah. Never heard anything quite like it. Heavy bang and then a low rumble like thunder.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to the Owen Jones interview now, lad's on fire. I would hope it gets clipped and put on social media tomorrow but honestly the whole thing is worth listening to, go dig it up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000bvdf

Got it, need to be signed in to the BBC.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So in the UK is any typical group roughly divided into convicted terrorists, convicted murderers, and polish immigrants ready to get the job done with whatever tools that are at hand?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

So in the UK is any typical group roughly divided into convicted terrorists, convicted murderers, and polish immigrants ready to get the job done with whatever tools that are at hand?

depends what kind of night you're looking for

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1201002972915867653?s=20

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nothing concerning about RAF planes flying supersonic for no reason overland.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Apparently they were scrambled to intercept an unresponsive aircraft but all is well now. Back to sleep for me

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

pablo gbscobar posted:

Listening to the Owen Jones interview now, lad's on fire. I would hope it gets clipped and put on social media tomorrow but honestly the whole thing is worth listening to, go dig it up.

Holy lol the speed with which he starts cutting people off after the jones interview

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll have you know this organisation is actually made up of people so it can't be biased

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Apparently they were scrambled to intercept an unresponsive aircraft but all is well now. Back to sleep for me

Oh hey, a fellow goon in St Albans.

I thought the guys upstairs had dropped a bowling ball on the floor.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The results for the last relevant election for Totnes:

Conservative - Sarah Wollaston 26,972 (53.7%)
Labour - Gerrie Messer 13,495 (26.8%)
Liberal Democrats - Julian Brazil 6,466 (12.9%)

So there's a lot of lols to be had.

But admittedly Wollaston, though a former tory before she joined the tory party, isn't the worst the tory parties have on offer. She's said some auld shite but her voting record places her distinctly to the left of the tory mainstream, like she voted against bombing Syria, voted for a pause on rolling out UC, has been a fairly fierce voice for measures to tackle alcohol problems like minimum unit pricing, and seems to have been reasonably consistent in calling out tory bullshit that threatens the NHS or parts of it. She's also turned down the chance to climb the ministerial ladder because it would have required her not to speak out against government policies. And she used to be a eurosceptic but had a come-to-Jesus moment when the referendum was going down, and she sounds like she was more wanting reform than actual departure for the most part.

I'm not actually sure why she was tory in the first place, to be honest, she'd have been a perfectly respectable blairite (lol) or have always fit in as a lib dem. Well, maybe not the latter, on account of she seems to have a greater amount of principles than zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Pound_Coin posted:

Holy lol the speed with which he starts cutting people off after the jones interview

The tangible sigh of relief in his voice when he finally finds a sympathetic caller after spending the whole segment insisting that he wasn't being defensive is so, so telling.