Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

pablo gbscobar posted:

The tangible sigh of relief in his voice when he finally finds a sympathetic caller after spending the whole segment insisting that he wasn't being defensive is so, so telling.

Yeah but didn’t she then say she agreed with Owen Jones and he cut her off too? It was really quick too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Asad667/status/1200998255594741760

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Nah there's another woman on right after that who calls him a hard left polemecist or some bs who gets a much less hostile response. Didn't listen for much longer after that so couldn't tell you if it was a pattern or not but if def stood out after the barrage of angry callers

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I see the BBC has finally caved and let Johnson on Marr instead of having to do an interview with Andrew Neil

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I'm not sure why there's an expectation that Andrew Neill (of the Adam Smith Institute) - an intensely conservative figure - will give Johnson anything remotely resembling scrutiny?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess there's the idea that johnson should be made to do things he's afraid of doing.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

serious gaylord posted:

I see the BBC has finally caved and let Johnson on Marr instead of having to do an interview with Andrew Neil
Look, they said it was because they required a national Conservative leader to appear and give a response to the terrorism incident in London, and I think we have to take them at their word - there was simply no other Tory they could substitute to sufficiently balance out the other parties, who are fielding such massive heavy hitters as *checks notes*

"Jonathan Ashworth, Labour’s candidate for Leicester South, and the Liberal Democrats’ Chuka Umunna".

oh

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tomberforce posted:

I'm not sure why there's an expectation that Andrew Neill (of the Adam Smith Institute) - an intensely conservative figure - will give Johnson anything remotely resembling scrutiny?

not much more than Neil's own personal pride in being seen as a tough interviewer, really.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tomberforce posted:

Considering that Neil and Johnson worked together at The Spectator (Johnson was editor, Neil chairman of its parent company), and they both take large sums of money from the ultra-Brexiteer Barclay brothers (they own The Spectator and the Daily Telegraph, which paid Johnson his "chicken feed" salary of £250,000), I wouldn't imagine his Brexit strategy would get much of a grilling. (And the current deputy editor of the Spectator is Dominic Cummings' wife! It's an ouroborous of awful, awful people. Actually, merely being connected to The Spectator pretty much guarantees that someone is a vile right-wing piece of poo poo.)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Also there’s probably some macho bullshit in the personal relationship between the two men seeing as how Andrew Neil was Boris’s old boss. Not hard to imagine that he would have a couple of scores to settle.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

baka kaba posted:

That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?

also hell of an OP

Top Brexit :golfclap:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I woke up at night a week or so ago, and I heard a blackbird training. I keep half an ear open for blackbird song at all times since I love it and it's how I determine that "gently caress the weather, birb sings means it's spring", but beyond that, what made me remember it is how bad his singing was. It was still recognisably blackbird song, but he sang only short phrases of a few notes, nowhere close to the length, width or expressiveness that a good songbird can pull off. So he's probably hatched this year, and grown up listening to his daddy's singing, convinced that he's gonna be every bit as good as him when he grows up. Wonder if it's stressful when you're just starting out, discovering that far from being easy, singing is tricky and laborious and hard, when it's the only hope you've got of getting a home and attracting a mate

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Payndz posted:

Considering that Neil and Johnson worked together at The Spectator (Johnson was editor, Neil chairman of its parent company), and they both take large sums of money from the ultra-Brexiteer Barclay brothers (they own The Spectator and the Daily Telegraph, which paid Johnson his "chicken feed" salary of £250,000), I wouldn't imagine his Brexit strategy would get much of a grilling. (And the current deputy editor of the Spectator is Dominic Cummings' wife! It's an ouroborous of awful, awful people. Actually, merely being connected to The Spectator pretty much guarantees that someone is a vile right-wing piece of poo poo.)

otoh him having known boris for long probably means he hates him

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ms Adequate posted:

Think it's safe to say that my prediction last month that

quote:

This thread's gonna be poppin', and next month's is going to be poppin' off

is likely to be borne out because once those results start rolling in and we see Jezza's bangin' majority it's going to get rowdy

I'm dreaming of a Red Christmas, comrades :newdanger::allears:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Honestly if you need clips of Johnson flailing and avoiding answering questions just use the LBC interview from Friday morning (or, you know, literally any other interview he's done so far)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I woke up at night a week or so ago, and I heard a blackbird training. I keep half an ear open for blackbird song at all times since I love it and it's how I determine that "gently caress the weather, birb sings means it's spring", but beyond that, what made me remember it is how bad his singing was. It was still recognisably blackbird song, but he sang only short phrases of a few notes, nowhere close to the length, width or expressiveness that a good songbird can pull off. So he's probably hatched this year, and grown up listening to his daddy's singing, convinced that he's gonna be every bit as good as him when he grows up. Wonder if it's stressful when you're just starting out, discovering that far from being easy, singing is tricky and laborious and hard, when it's the only hope you've got of getting a home and attracting a mate

I'm a trans woman, and I've been struggling with voice therapy for the last year, and this really speaks to me :gbsmith:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I saw a sparrow hawk today. It was hunting a sparrow. Flew off before I could see if it got it. Welp that’s my story for the day.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Has anyone considered that if Corbyn's Labour wins the election, then he will have been the most successful left wing British politician since, arguably, Atlee ? Who he has a lot in common with.

But yeah obviously an unelectable failure.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm praying for a stonking majority, but I will be happy with a hung parliament and Labour as the largest party or a small majority for Labour.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If Corbyn wins an outright majority the press are going to go off it about voter fraud and everything else to try and stop it being seen as a legitimate win

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

If Corbyn wins an outright majority the press are going to go off it about voter fraud and everything else to try and stop it being seen as a legitimate win

Well yeah, but who gives a poo poo if they're gonna get Leveson'ed anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jose posted:

No one who believes them is physically capable of doing anything about it

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

otoh him having known boris for long probably means he hates him
I think there's a thing where reactionaries, especially competent ones, turn on other reactionaries who are perceived as weak; it wouldn't surprise me if Neil, as a competent reactionary, absolutely savaged Johnson. If your existence is defined by hierarchy, then one thing you can't stand is a failure at the top. And, well, Johnson's lazy and poo poo, he's been coasting, and it's really obvious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1200853524680232963

Better response from abbott than I was expecting tbh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Imagine if Marr actually cornered Johnson on this stuff. Such a wasted opportunity.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well yeah, but who gives a poo poo if they're gonna get Leveson'ed anyway

If the press only get Levesoned then they're getting off lightly.

Also Christ it's strange knowing the future is arriving so soon, I don't think I've had an experience quite like this before.

Looking forward to hundreds of pages of nonsensical reaction posts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

I think there's a thing where reactionaries, especially competent ones, turn on other reactionaries who are perceived as weak; it wouldn't surprise me if Neil, as a competent reactionary, absolutely savaged Johnson. If your existence is defined by hierarchy, then one thing you can't stand is a failure at the top. And, well, Johnson's lazy and poo poo, he's been coasting, and it's really obvious.

Looking forward to this post ageing rapidly.

Wow Chuka Umunna was just terrible as always on Marr there. I guess it's up to the Queen to form a Lib Dem government (?).

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I'm intrigued by Johnson being left to the last minute of Marr. He seems to be getting the 'interview with a middlebrow West End actor' slot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"You've Been In Power For 10 Years" are words you don't hear enough on the BBC

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

forkboy84 posted:

Oh god, The Spectator is awful. Tory MPs as Harry Potter characters would be as useful.

I've always thought Michael Gove is our universe's Professor Quirrel. (WHO SAID SQUIRREL? :byodame: )

And to answer the headline question, no, Jacob Rees-Mogg just wishes he was Cato the Younger*. He's actually Crassus: an extremely wealthy amoral oval office whose defining features are arrogance and incompetence in all fields apart from leveraging his wealth. He made a play for power and overestimated himself dramatically, and was taken down by barbs from people he has no respect for:

https://twitter.com/BathLabourParty/status/1200446500913872901

There you go, Spectator twat. Isn't that a better argument than "Sajid Javid used to work in banking ergo money ergo Crassus"? I can't believe you get paid for this. I'd drop the mic but it's the 1st century BC and they haven't been invented yet. Veni vidi vici, bitchi.

* This is literally true, I bet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Reposting this from the end of the last thread cause it was a real gutpunch :smith:

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1200836894231126017

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

God save me.

I've seen that dead, piggy-eyed stare from a thousand drunks and bigots in a thousand pubs when you ask them a difficult question.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

God save me.

I've seen that dead, piggy-eyed stare from a thousand drunks and bigots in a thousand pubs when you ask them a difficult question.

With no humanity in they eyes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Welp, Neil pretty much monstered Jòris on schools, libraries, hospitals, prisons, criminal justice, benefits, child poverty, Islamophobia, and Brexit. There should be endless clips of flailing angry prevarication to spread after this.

He still didn't actually push back on any lies, or stop Johnson from blustering on CORBYN BAD tangents, but it was a lot more substantial than I would have expected.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Spreading some yule feelings. Putting up some christmas lights (doesn't show well because it's noon, doesn't get dark until around 1400). Have got this tree which is a really nice christmas tree shape growing at the corner of our yard and decided to put up some lights on it, colored because all our neighbors are running white lights only. It's boring AF, we're the only ones with colored lights.

Cats where enjoying the snow too.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Welp, Neil pretty much monstered Jòris on schools, libraries, hospitals, prisons, criminal justice, benefits, child poverty, Islamophobia, and Brexit. There should be endless clips of flailing angry prevarication to spread after this.

He still didn't actually push back on any lies, or stop Johnson from blustering on CORBYN BAD tangents, but it was a lot more substantial than I would have expected.

Marr, not Neil.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JackmerrittJack/status/981151669479202816

That's the lad who died.

loving shameful for the tories to use this lad as a meat shield.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/JackmerrittJack/status/981151669479202816

That's the lad who died.

loving shameful for the tories to use this lad as a meat shield.

With the body barely cold, poor lad, the Tories politicise his death.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

quote:

Some of the most disturbing footage shows one worker touching two cows in intimate areas on two different occasions,” the investigator said. “The worker appears to be moving his hand up and down in a way that would suggest masturbation.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cow-sexual-abuse-violence-dairy-farm-punch-kick-hit-essex-nfu-a9215306.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/JoshuaRozenberg/status/1200829426084302849

The Warren Hill bit is from about 7:30 onwards