Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tomberforce posted:

I'm not sure why there's an expectation that Andrew Neill (of the Adam Smith Institute) - an intensely conservative figure - will give Johnson anything remotely resembling scrutiny?
Considering that Neil and Johnson worked together at The Spectator (Johnson was editor, Neil chairman of its parent company), and they both take large sums of money from the ultra-Brexiteer Barclay brothers (they own The Spectator and the Daily Telegraph, which paid Johnson his "chicken feed" salary of £250,000), I wouldn't imagine his Brexit strategy would get much of a grilling. (And the current deputy editor of the Spectator is Dominic Cummings' wife! It's an ouroborous of awful, awful people. Actually, merely being connected to The Spectator pretty much guarantees that someone is a vile right-wing piece of poo poo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Simultaneously the end of Society and the end of society.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ugh! I was reading the latest Dr Moderate polling thread on Twitter and spotted a Wild Pissflaps in the replies.

On the plus side, DM's predictions were:
Lab minority govt: 45%
Hung: 40%
Con majority: 10%
Lab majority: 5%

Downer that an overall Lab majority has such low odds, but I'll still take what's there. (And of course: Polls Mean Nothing.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Two more for Labour in Bournemouth West. Safe Tory seat, but the polling station, while hardly buzzing, was the busiest I've ever seen it and everyone who came in was young. So, y'know, tiny glimmers of hope that oil industry lackey Conor Burns will be kicked out...

Wishing for a red dawn tomorrow.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bunch of Berx. (In the rhyming slang sense.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jesus Christ. Went to let the dogs out, came back to find the exit polls were way worse than I'd even imagined possible.

If they're anything even approaching accurate, then this country is permanently hosed. Brexit will happen with No Deal almost certain by the end of 2020. Johnson and his cronies will get to do every other horrible thing they want. And don't forget that the boundary redrawing reducing the number of MPs to 600 that got shelved under Cameron is all but certain to go ahead, and eliminate far more Labour seats than Tory.

Meanwhile, Thatcher laughs from her grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

oxford_town posted:

Why? Johnson (maybe) has a majority for his Brexit deal
All the details of the trade deals with the EU have to be finalised by the next deadline, which IIRC is December 2020. If they're not (and there is a large Tory contingent that would be happy for them not to be), then the Great No Deal Crashout is back, baby!

(And Trump has just crippled the WTO, so the "we'll be on WTO terms, no big deal" argument amounts to nothing. We will be eaten alive.)