Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I see the BBC has finally caved and let Johnson on Marr instead of having to do an interview with Andrew Neil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Dad's hot takes keep on rolling.

"Labour's just full of unemployed people who want a free handout from the hard working Tory voters who'll pay for it all."

Thanks dad.

You can tell him that statistically theres a higher percentage of labour voters in employment than Tory.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh the bbc did something...good?

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1202670854410297344

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ms Adequate posted:

I suspect he doesn't think Johnson will actually show so might as well go hell for leather. And if Johnson does happen to show, the fundamental points still stand no matter his chuntering bluster.

Yeah the only reason that was broadcast is because they know hes not going to show now, and he certainly wont after this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

justcola posted:

It's looking likely to be a hung parliament with no overall majority government, last time this happened the Lib Dems got in bed with the Conservatives starting the onslaught of diarrhoea we have today.

It's also incredibly hard to tell, usually you can sense which way it's going to go - personally I think we will win by a decent amount with young voter engagement. This election has felt a lot more different than others in that the effect the internet and media have had on perceptions and messaging. The US elections next year is going to be like the Parallax View or summat.

Entirely anecdotal but there are people on my social media circles posting labour stuff who were either completely disengaged from politics or would never have been so open about their support. Its been a few very strange weeks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This country is infuriating. I'm comfortably middle class now but I know that without the NHS some bad luck could destroy my life, but I guess about 40% of people are happy to throw that away because they hate the Belgians.

The way I explained this to my reasonably comfortable friend who posted the 'So what are Labour offering me???' because she has a house and a good job was to just say 'Okay, so what happens if you come down with a serious illness and are off work for 3 months? Will you have your house? Can you pay your bills? No? Then you should be supporting Labour.'

I reckon that for 90% of this country, they're hosed if they're out of work for 3 months. Utterly truly hosed. But no-one thinks of it like that, they only relate to it as now. You need to relate it to them as best you can.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a word for the amount of glee i would feel for Swinson losing her seat?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gwaint posted:

Late to reply to this but I live in Poole too. I've been spending my efforts canvassing in Bournemouth West. I'm hopeful there can be a Labour majority in both Poole and Bournemouth West, but the latter is more of a target seat, I was informed.
Hopefully we'll bump into each other some time! :hfive:

I'm in Bournemouth west. You might have knocked on my door

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

marktheando posted:

My friend moved a few months ago and he's just realised he never registered in his new constituency. Think he will still be able to vote in his old one? Or is that not allowed.

You can only vote in one location, doesnt mean you have to live there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The way the blue ticks are piling on Kuenssberg today makes me think shes finally gone past the line

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

If you start a fight you'll be remembered as a martyr.

If he glasses them i'll represent him in court for free.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Laura K hasn't tweeted in 6 hours. But I'm sure, like today's Politics Live disappearing from iPlayer, it's just a production mistake.

They've told her to shutup for a few hours and come back tomorrow night. Just like when she got that labour twat to resign live on air.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would very much like another here we go tweet from Jezza today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're recounting Blyth loving valley.

Blyth valley

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

elbkaida posted:

Lots of cities like Wolverhampton, Stoke, parts of Birmingham, West Bromwich etc have a high % of going tory in the exit poll and they all had 10% or so majorities. Why are the midlands turning blue like that?

Brexit

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

this is the worst pwm reunion

Its not good

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
lets all piss on wazzer

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im going to work tomorrow for a company that had a senior party stand up on Monday and say the company would most likely close in 2 years if Corbyn won so yeah lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress the remain alliance.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

BBC exclusively showing tweets from Labour wreckers and Kate Hoey is live

My man, there aren;t any pro labour tweets at the moment to show. This is loving horrid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If possible can anyone either record or find clips from your local news about people being interviewed about why they voted tory in the labour strongholds that flipped?

Theres been a run of 'the high street has been really run down for the last few years so I thought I'd give the tories a try' etc. Really local level issues under labour councils or MPs where they think its labour that has been causing these problems.

I'm making a project highlighting this but a lot of this stuff is on local news and radio and never makes it online.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

This is exactly what im talking about. People utterly exasperated that their towns have been run down and its the labour MP's 'fault' so they're trying something new. Complaining that all the funding is going to Wigan and that their market stalls are closing down as if Labour could have stopped it.

I'm trying to get as much as I can, even if its just vox pops or radio phone in shows. If it gets enough interest I'll look into delving a bit deeper.

My feeling is that Boris played as an opposition style candidate in these areas, and that it wasn't just 'get brexit done' for a lot of these people. That he highlighted a decade of (Tory) cuts and left it as a steaming turd on the Labour MP's doorstep. That combined with the brexit crowd meant he came sweeping in and he seemed like a breath of fresh air to these people.

I want to learn as much as I can so we can be better prepared to combat this in 5 years time, or its just going to happen again.