Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Keep in mind though that the Conservative voter base is quite literally dying off, and last time the Tories literally cannibalised nearly the entire UKIP voter base.

They have nowhere else to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ve traditionally been a “don’t get your hopes up too much” kind of guy, and I am honestly feeling quite hopeful about this election. While we are currently living in The Worst Timeline, I just cannot see how the Tories can possibly get a majority based off the last few years.

Think about it. The last time they had a majority was under David Cameron in 2015. This is the time where the Blairites were still fully in control of Labour and making a right hash of things, and while UKIP was still a thing the Lib Dem vote totally collapsed and bled a lot of it to the Tories. The press was going in hard against Labour despite them chasing the Tories to the right and after all that their majority was loving tiny. Keep in mind as well that David Cameron was a far better campaigner and public speaker than anyone they’ve been able to field since.

Theresa May went into her election being revered by the press, Tories, gammons, melts and liberals as being the next Thatcher on a chest thumping “WOOOO BREXIT” high. According to that same press, May was the most popular prime minister since Winston Churchill, and the press went in hard against Labour getting increasingly shrill and unhinged as time went on. She made a right fuckup of her campaign of course, but the media being what they are and the nature of the Tory voting base blunted that somewhat. The media were awash with predictions of a massive Tory majority because of The Will of The People and wanting her vision of Brexit.

She lost her majority – despite the relentless negative campaigning by the press against Labour and opinion polls predicting a Labour wipeout. Despite devouring almost the entirety of the UKIP vote and cruising on that Brexit high.

Now we get to 2019 and we see the same relentless negative media coverage against Labour and the same chest thumping predictions of the Tories winning. Except:
  • Boris isn’t remotely as popular as May was going into this election, and he is somehow worse than May on the campaign trail.
  • The Tories have already cannibalised the UKIP/BXP vote – there are no new voters to source from this demographic.
  • The Tories are incredibly unpopular the younger you go, and they have no policies to appeal to anyone vaguely under the age of 50.
  • They can’t appeal to the young because such policies would contradict the policies they need to appeal to their traditional old voting base.
  • Said traditional old voting base is literally dying off. This is due to simple old age, but also down to their own policies.
  • Media attacks against Labour are getting increasingly desperate to the point of parody. I think its fair to say they aren’t going to convince anyone who already wasn’t voting Labour in the first place. Even with the anti-Semitism smears; the only people I’ve seen it gain traction with are Tories and liberals looking for an excuse to justify not voting Labour.
  • It would seem Brexit fatigue is a very real thing.
  • So is austerity fatigue.
  • Jo Swinson is loving things up nicely and the message of “If you want to stop Brexit vote Labour” seems to be getting through to a decent chunk of the fubpees and melts.

I may be talking out my arse of course, but Labour base is mobilised and the message is getting out there. Personally I think the Tories being the largest party in a hung parliament is their absolute best case scenario, and in either case we are not going away if the outcome is less than favourable to us.

My personal belief is that millennials and zoomers will become as loyal to the Labour vote as boomers and gen X are to the Tories. They became lifelong tories because of rubbish bins and being able to buy their council house, and millennials and zoomers will become lifelong Labour voters because of the utterly lovely hand we’ve been dealt generationally, and the insulting dismissive attitude of previous generations when the issue gets raised.

I mean, gently caress, I’m a fully paid up member of the Labour party with a membership card and everything. If you could travel back in time to 2014 and told younger me that I’d join a political party I’d laugh in your face.

Change is coming folks, what we are witnessing now is the desperate kicking and screaming of a generation and class trying to hold onto their power and beliefs in a changing world. They aren’t going to go quietly, so we must make sure we can shout louder than they do.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Here’s a nice distraction from Tory hell world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khLbg_uAhcI

So next year we are getting a new Half Life, the RE3 remake, and hopefully a Corbyn government.

Stay positive folks.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I put my postal vote in last week as did my other half. Both Labour obviously.

Can’t see us taking Gravesham but stranger things have happened.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Another for RLB or Rayner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Happy new year folks!