Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Well guys, its finally time for us to make a genuinely important political decision as a country, what could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ttyEngland/status/1201005982438109184

Just giving some love to this, underappreciated reply.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
RE: Keeping warm chat, something you might find interesting if you are in the market for a space heater to use for the winter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-jmSjy2ArM

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Boris letting loose with his wildest sexual fantasies on live tv, incredible.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Conversation summary:

"But antisemitism"

"It's all bollocks, *links to rebuttal*"

"I'm only telling you what a friend told me, anyway i want brexit"

She's a no-dealer too so not much chance of me winning her over on labours position.

Oh well.

*sigh* This is the stuff that depresses me. The absolute lack of reason and critical thinking. The sort of people who would look at that BBC article about lying in campaign adverts and will still shrug their shoulders and dismiss it because the truth is less important that their feelings. The past 3 years have done nothing but hammer home how disgustingly stupid and blinkered a huge portion of the country is. Its not like it wasn't obvious before, but the sheer relentlessness of it all is truely staggering.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

This reply on twitter sums it up nicely...
"This is the equivalent of dangling a set of keys in front of a baby"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Then you'll love this

"What about the WASPI compensation that you'll benefit from"

"No, I have given that some thought and decided it would be purely selfish to vote just because of that, because who is going to end up paying for it: future generations and that would not be fair to them as they won't even get a state pension, so I will bite the bullet like all the other ladies and just keep going with what I have after all I am not homeless, starving or any of the other horrible things that are happening to some people"

loving hell, I think I would have an aneurysm if I was trying to discuss politics and I had that said to me.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If VideoGames was an actual video game, I would feel pretty okay about occasionally engaging with micro-transactions and would likely buy the DLC packs and not regret it.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Chalk up another vote for luxury gay space communism! The woman at the polling station said turnout was good so hopefully that means that my constituency wont vote in the Brexit Party...

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I am just so loving devestated. How could anyone vote for 5 more years of THIS?

THE MAN HID IN A loving FRIDGE, AND THEY STILL VOTED FOR HIM.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait hold up! So the main reason why the Tory's won was because this election acted like another referendum on Brexit, and turns out that the people actually want Brexit still?

I mean, technically yes that's one way to view it, but considering that the popular vote was actually in favour of parties supporting a second referendum, the legitimacy of Brexit in my eyes, is more dubious than it ever has been before.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 13, 2019

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pinkacidbootson posted:

From Facebook, an insight into why Labour has lost votes (from someone older than me who I haven't seen for a long time):

How can "the left" combat this kind of opinion? In the last few years we've seen a Labour MP murdered, elderly activists violently attacked, increasing xenophobic and racist attacks, and right wing leaders blaming immigrants and foreigners for all the country's problems and in the case of Farage, openly calling for armed uprising against politicians. Yet this traditional Labour supporter thinks the left is more violent. Tabloids maybe? Also lol at antifa = bad, what a U-turn.

Ultimately, ordinary people don't like to be told that their ingrained bigotry is not harmless, and when they have marginalized people telling them that what they are saying and doing is hurtful, they take offense, and get defensive. It keeps coming up and starts to be several things, and suddenly they are perceiving it as an attack on themselves. Its stupid and short sighted but this cycle has genuinely been a huge source of brain worms for a shockingly large amount of people. I don't think it helps anything at all when you have lots of these communities blaming everything on the straight white male demographic, or just white people in general. At that point, people get extremely standoffish and accusations of reverse racism start to fly. Suddenly, the people fighting the Fascists are the bad guy, and these idiots start identifying with the fascists rather than the marginalized.

Its loving stupid but I think that its fair to say that the angrier factions in the left have genuinely done some real harm in causing people who already have some of these tendencies to slip down the slope towards right wing radicalization. There is more too it of course, I personally feel that Facebook and Youtube have a huge amount to answer for, but this election result (and things like Trump getting the presidency) have only served to embolden the right even further. I really really hate to say it but a lot of vulnerable people are going to have to be prepared to numb themselves to a fresh wave of emboldened bigots and start playing the long game rather than trying to push through societal change yesterday.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mycomancy posted:

gently caress 'em, if calling people out on their bigotry makes them MORE bigoted then they're fash collaborators and need a stompin'.

I dunno mate, while on the one hand I want to agree wholeheartedly, one thing I have been thinking for a long time now is that we should be taking notes from the right about taking time with our agendas rather than declaring anyone who isn't immediately on side as irredeemable.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

bionic vapour boy posted:

You know a lot of right wingers willing to gently encourage people onto their side then yeah?

Next time a guy starts yelling slurs at me on a train platform I'll definitely stop to ask if he's looking for a reasonable exchange of ideas.

come off it mate, thats not even remotely the sort of person I am talking about and you know it.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

i'm aware of that but the fact is soft brexit was right loving there and remainers refused ot accept they lost and compromise

I am sorry mate, I disagree. If there was ever a proper soft brexit that was offered, it probably would have been voted through. The deal-breakers that existed were always enough to ruin the whole thing. It doesn't exist because if it did, it would essentially undermine the EU. Perhaps I am wrong, I am entirely open to that possibility but as far as I have ever understood it, "The Deal" in every form that was offered was never going to work long term without making everyone, full swivel, full FBPE and everyone in-between unhappy.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 15, 2019

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

Had the remain side accepted they lost and gone all in on soft brexit it might have happened. Instead they went all in on a second referendum that was spitting on everyone who voted leave. Milne and Corbyn were right and frankly any centrist who pushed for a second referendum can gently caress off

I think this could have been true if Mays government had tried to negotiate with the opposition on side whatsoever. Their determination to be the sole party in the negotiation made this impossible.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

may shoudl have compromised sure but since her opposition were basically 2nd referendum or nothing why should she? as she herself said the people voted for pain

Prior to her trying to crush the saboteurs, there was a huge amount of people on the opposition who were publicly saying to respect the referendum result. She could and should have done more to extend an olive branch at that point. That said, none of us can ever truly know what was said and done behind the scenes at Westminster. I just dont think its fair to demonize Labour for functioning as the opposition in a situation in which that is literally their purpose, and representing the 48% of the country that didn't vote for leave.

Jose posted:

i'm kind of drunk and real angry sorry everyone

Its times like this where I wish that I enjoyed drinking :(

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

gently caress sake i normally only get this angry playing FIFA online which is why i stopped doing it

Its fine to be angry about this, but I would say be angry at the people who truly deserve it. Be angry at the ERG, VoteLeave, be angry at Farage, be angry at the right wing press, be angry at the lib dems, be angry at the melts, be angry at the labour leadership if you think they deserve it. Dont be angry at people who were rightfully trying to protect their lives, their loved ones and their livelyhoods which will be ruined or endangered by leaving the EU. They were right to fight it, as were the MP's who have constituencies which would be horribly effected by the loss of trade and jobs that come directly from the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

I'm absolutely not angry at leave voters I go to the match and sit next to one every time and we have perfectly cordial politics talk when they happen despite him being a boomer.

Well I didn't list Leave voters for a reason! Two of my most respected friends voted leave and I am perfectly capable of having extremely long and informative discussions with them about their right leaning political beliefs, but it helps that they are generally good people rather than bigots. We disagree on many many things but they are never rude, and likewise I am not to them. Its a crying shame that majority of people who are open about their leave votes, are not the same in my experience.