Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Until the coward Saban steps into the pressure cooker of Champaign/Urbana it's impossible to know whether or not he's actually a good coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

colachute posted:

Saban is a system coach and Lovie would do better there than Saban

Well I guess we'll never know

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Pete Carroll looks like if Jeffrey Epstein were a Gruden

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's a movie pitch: a couple of retired college coaches in their late 70s or early 80s with bad blood between them each take HC jobs at rival high schools near their Florida retirement community. Like maybe a thinly fictionalized Steve Spurrier and Mack Brown.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Until the coward Saban steps into the pressure cooker of Champaign/Urbana it's impossible to know whether or not he's actually a good coach

Spurrier already roasted him for only being able to win at Bama and LSU.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

If nick saban were a real head coach he'd have Kent State in the Big 10

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Spurrier already roasted him for only being able to win at Bama and LSU.

It's true saban would have been destroyed in the aaf

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Asleep Style posted:

As proven in the years since his departure, it's very difficult to win at USC

Fleeing town before the sanctions hammer comes down helps too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

Here's a movie pitch: a couple of retired college coaches in their late 70s or early 80s with bad blood between them each take HC jobs at rival high schools near their Florida retirement community. Like maybe a thinly fictionalized Steve Spurrier and Mack Brown.

opening night watch

Grumpy Old Men: Third Down

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Joey1gatewood/status/1202722653452296192

That could be a good fit

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Taerkar posted:

Fleeing town before the sanctions hammer comes down helps too.

Goat move.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Seemed like he was leaning that way. He's made multiple visits to Lexington, including the beatdown of Louisville last weekend. I don't know a whole lot about him, but I guess he's a good runner who could step right in to the same playbook they have for Terry Wilson after he presumably has to sit out a year.

Kentucky is actually going to have depth at QB going forward, though I assume there will be a transfer or two, if not this year then next year after Wilson graduates. Could even depend on who separates themselves in spring practice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That could be a good fit

I was thinking the same thing. drat.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

The NFL is for Lovie Smith level coaches

Lovie actually beat a ranked team this year.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Not having 7-5 Texas play 7-5 A&M in the Texas bowl should be considered a crime against humanity.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Why? Sounds like an amazing form of banishment.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would nick saban have the mettle and courage to take northwestern to the Heart of Dallas Bowl?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Not having 7-5 Texas play 7-5 A&M in the Texas bowl should be considered a crime against humanity.

Why would Texas and A&M play each other, there’s zero history there

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/BKubena/status/1202779198353498112

PLAY NECK

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

R.D. Mangles posted:

would nick saban have the mettle and courage to take northwestern to the Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Bama to the Myrtle Beach Bowl

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

I think Jason Kirk has this right, the real reason both schools refuse to allow this is because they know they can eventually make way more money reviving the series with a home and home or a huge series in Jerry World than they can from a crappy December bowl

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Mike Norvell seems like a good hire for FSU, but his agent better negotiate a huge buyout. FSU fans might feel underwhelmed by it though, since they still seem to believe they are going to hire James Franklin.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Honestly it would loving rule to see Bama in like the meineke car care bowl

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Emron posted:

Or reduced to smoldering ashes. Yanno, whichever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

Glad to see Bama has gotten to a "Prince and the Pauper" state of mind where they want to abandon the tedious life of royalty to scrap in the streets with the peasants.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Saban is already out recruiting for next year so this season is over and the bowl game doesn’t count anyway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do people actually hate Bama? That just seems like Ahab hating the whale; they’re just this indifferent behemoth that defies any projection of “good” or “evil”.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I hate Bama the same way I hate Golden State or Miami-era (and now Laker-era) Lebron. Sports need a bad guy and Bama has been the bad guy for a decade.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't truly hate any team, except TCU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's frankly really weird knowing bama fans because they honestly expect to win every single game they play and it takes a ton of flukes for them to ever lose (absent that Clemson beatdown)

Like jusr imagine week in week out being absolutely confident you were going to win, and 90% of the time you're correct, for a decade

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Komet posted:

Mike Norvell seems like a good hire for FSU, but his agent better negotiate a huge buyout. FSU fans might feel underwhelmed by it though, since they still seem to believe they are going to hire James Franklin.

AAC coaches taking over down P5 programs have yielded more misses than hits. Apparently ADs are down on Norvell due to his apparent off the field issues, which is why he didn't get any real offers last cycle.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I don't truly hate any team, except TCU

Why TCU?

They always seemed to me like one of the least objectionable teams.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I hate bama

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Al Golden might get our AD fired. It's worth zooming in to read all of this.

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1202961997236592640

Also, we're apparently paying his buyout at a rate of 24 cents a month.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The bad guys are the ones like Dabo and Richt going around using their positions of power to entrench awful southern Baptist culture on young men while enriching themselves. Saban just out here getting his boys paid

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

harperdc posted:

PLAY NECK

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I used to hate a handful of teams but then I started taking prozac like a year ago

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sports hate is fun and wholesome

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Why TCU?

They always seemed to me like one of the least objectionable teams.

I just don't like Patterson, he's a big fat crybaby and it's unpleasant to watch him sweat through multiple shirts over the course of 4 hours while his towel/water girl attends to him.

He called out Briles after a game (that TCU lost, btw) saying that he had poor control over his players and even called out a specific player for playing dangerously. Seems like a breach of coach etiquette to tell another one that he's not running his team right.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2019

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

MourningView posted:

Sports hate is fun and wholesome

I hate so many teams, most of them for no reason, it's fun and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

General Dog posted:

I just don't like Patterson, he's a big fat crybaby and it's unpleasant to watch him sweat through multiple shirts over the course of 4 hours while his towel/water girl attends to him.

Unreasonable.

But also reasonable.