Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Baylor is a Playoff Contender going into Championship Week, that is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Harlock posted:

What's the dumbest outcome? Georgia, Utah, and Oklahoma all losing their title games and Bama still gets in ?

There’s no route in for them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Someone is missing a joke, but I don’t know who

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

Let's see
LSU beats UGA (preferably a blowout to make Bama's loss look less bad)
Virginia Tech beats Clemson
Baylor beats Oklahoma
Utah loses either tonight or in the Pac 12 championship

You've got 1. Ohio State, 2. LSU, and 3. Baylor as clear choices, and a lot of controversy for the #4 slot
I could see a Bama homer making the case that, by the eye test, Bama is should be in the conversation that slot along with UGA and one-loss Clemson who ain't played nobody pawl.

Clemson still gets in, thanks for the call.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

I still can't believe Gasparilla is a separate thing completely unrelated to Bad Boy Mowers.

Isn’t it Orlando Mardi Gras or something?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

No conference is ever going to let Liberty join. Hell, BYU is too weird for the Mountain West, nobody is going to let Jerry Falwell Jr's diploma mill and grifting emporium in.

The MWC would take BYU back in a heartbeat

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That’s not how counting top 25 wins works

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Are they really going to keep Golding as their DC???

Wasn’t the entire front seven injured for the back half of the year?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Dabo sucks so very very much

True, but at the same time I get that politicking the committee is part of the job description at this point. Everybody wants that #1 slot, because they’re likely going to get a much easier draw than number 2 (this year more than most).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

OU gets in over Utah because of "intangibles" and by that I mean a zillion viewers because this is a business.

If the committee wants to take OU over Utah, then why have they consistently ranked Utah above OU? Why save the swerve for the last minute?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the rankings mean nothing

Fair enough, but I think people are a lot more :tinfoil: about this than the outcomes have warranted. I think the slight ratings bump a mediocre OU might give them over a mediocre Utah is probably worth giving up just to throw the PAC-12 a bone and keep the peace.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Oh my god it's happening.

I can't wait to find out who the new coordinators who I'll hate in 2 years are!

For OC I’m thinking Jason Garrett

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

If it's Kendall Briles I'm gonna pitch a fit

Palpatine: “Use my system, I beg you”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

FWIW, the fine caps out at $250k. Personally I have no idea why there is such a fine in the first place, every actual fan loves field rushing.

They don’t want fan-player altercations happening on field.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cnidario posted:

What are the chances of a Lonestar Showdown bowl game now? Both teams are 7-5, and I don’t think anyone wants yet another KSU-A&M snoozefest like the one two years ago

This is never going to happen unless it’s the NY6. The SEC can assign teams to its affiliate bowls at its discretion.

When we play again, it needs to be a big deal, not in some sad third tier bowl with a quarter of the starters and half the staffs gone. It needs to be a setting where we can really light some candles and lay out some rose petals. Reliant Stadium isn’t it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 3, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

torturemyballs posted:

Aggie and UT fans thinking they're too good and important to play each other is just so cute :allears:

It’s not that we’re to important to play UT, it’s that the game is too important to play in some stupid bowl. Would Notre Dame and USC play in the Redbox Bowl?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I had petroleum engineering classes with closer for the baseball team, and I think he ended up near the top of the class.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Coach Mike Bibendum, a true Michelin Man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rick posted:

I almost don't think BYU is that bad since they have been pretty decent the second half of the season. Although at the time USC lost to them, BYU was pretty terrible so yeah nevermind.

BYU has had a weird-rear end season. Won against Tennessee and USC (caught both of them at a good time, in retrospect), then lost to an unspectacular Toledo and a disastrous USF, then handed Boise its only loss of the season and destroyed a respectable Utah State in back to back weeks, then finished the season by taking a poo poo against SDSU.

I know there was a quarterback injury somewhere in there, but I'm not sure if that explains all of it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Saban has probably entered the “Paterno Zone” where the reverence for him becomes self-sustaining and he doesn’t even have to be great anymore. That’s not to say the teams won’t still be great, but even if they decline a bit he’s an institution now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah....no. 12 years isn't 35 or so before Paterno turned in two bad seasons in a row. And Saban hasn't even really turned in one. If he did it was his first.

The comparison makes no sense. Like, do you actually think if Saban went 5-7 next year that the fan base wouldn't be screaming for his head? Let alone Paterno's 3-9 in 2003.

I’m sure you could find the stupidest 100 people on the internet calling for his head, sure, but by and large no.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

They had horrible injury luck in the front seven that started before they even kicked off an actual game, lost their Heisman candidate QB, and were a combined 8 points from likely being in the playoff again.

The idea that this is what Alabama's nightmare "everything goes wrong" season looks like is frankly terrifying.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know why we're discussing also-rans like Bama when we could be talking about teams still in contention like Utah and Baylor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

colachute posted:

Saban is a system coach and Lovie would do better there than Saban

Well I guess we'll never know

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's a movie pitch: a couple of retired college coaches in their late 70s or early 80s with bad blood between them each take HC jobs at rival high schools near their Florida retirement community. Like maybe a thinly fictionalized Steve Spurrier and Mack Brown.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do people actually hate Bama? That just seems like Ahab hating the whale; they’re just this indifferent behemoth that defies any projection of “good” or “evil”.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't truly hate any team, except TCU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Why TCU?

They always seemed to me like one of the least objectionable teams.

I just don't like Patterson, he's a big fat crybaby and it's unpleasant to watch him sweat through multiple shirts over the course of 4 hours while his towel/water girl attends to him.

He called out Briles after a game (that TCU lost, btw) saying that he had poor control over his players and even called out a specific player for playing dangerously. Seems like a breach of coach etiquette to tell another one that he's not running his team right.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

You make a solid case, but isn't every coach objectionable?

Dana Holgerson is an unhinged psycho who kneecapped his team and then talked poo poo about the players he basically betrayed by giving up on a season.

Tom Herman is a fake genius who kisses all the players.

Dabo Swinney is a head coach in name only who converts every student to prosperity gospel.

Every coach is making millions off the unpaid labor of students. You should hate 'em all.

I only know what's in my heart.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

lol gently caress off

Have you ever heard a coach publicly talk about another coach that way?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mactheknife posted:

no, they should do it way more though

I think they don’t because it’s a small world and people have long memories, but I guess if you know you’re going to be at the same place for the rest of your life it liberates you to let loose a little bit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raku posted:

What coach is most Christlike

Imma say Frank Beamer

Paul Chryst?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also one of the coaches' wife recently died, and he's just loving nonstop, just plowing through the retirement community.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

What actress in 2019 can be the Blanche Devereaux we need in these trying times?

Adrienne Barbeau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/06/us/wake-forest-christmas-parade-cancel-confederate-trnd/index.html

Wake Forest would rather cancel a parade than tell racists go get hosed

Lol gently caress a deac

Doesn’t look like it has anything to do with the school.