Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Clemson really is a man among boys at the moment. Miami and Florida State are in disarray, and the likes of Virginia Tech and Louisville are never going to match what they're doing at Clemson.

At least in the 90s FSU had to play Florida.

I had to look up who Clemson was playing in the ACC Championship game.

If we imagine the ultimate Clemsoning that would be Virginia's biggest win since...1995 over #2 FSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

non conference schedules are set up years in advance.

next year clemson has a blistering out of conference schedule consisting of akron, notre dame, south carolina, and the citadel.

They can probably buy their way out of the Citadel if they wanted to badly enough, but they'd need a partner willing to do the same with their own cupcake.

Well maybe not for next year since it's probably too late, but schools do wiggle out of scheduled non-con games now and then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't the Citadel/Furman/Wofford/Presbyterian stuff mandated by the state?

Oh they might be, I was just picking the lowest school on that list. Replace that with Akron if that's the case.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not surprising but Albert Okweugbunam is declaring for the draft. Should in theory be a great tight end, was constantly ignored in Mizzou's offense for whatever reason you want to guess.

Now to see how close I got to spelling that right after looking at it 5 seconds before writing this post...damnit Okwuegbunam. Still a solid effort.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rad Valtar posted:

The idea that it's some weird thing to not take any classes in person is some old man poo poo.

I believe Sash is younger than I am and also 35 years older somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Congrats? to Akron for winning the inverse national championship:

Very disappointed at UMass for screwing up my favorite part of these posts :mad:

e: Never really thought about it before, how hard is it to go winless? Like, how many teams do that in a given year?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Utah ahead of OU is interesting.

Well as interesting as these bullshit things get I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

colachute posted:

Since the Gators aren’t in the conference championship I am forced to root for chaos. What are the biggest chaos scenarios?

Clemson losing to UVA is probably the only one that will make a dent.

If Georgia housed LSU like 59-0 and Burrow got hurt then maybe we can get both Baylor and Utah in? Probably not. I don't think any margin of Wisconsin victory keeps Ohio State out. If we imagine it could I guess Georgia, Utah, Big 12 winner, Wisconsin would be the biggest chaos scenario.

Nevermind, one loss LSU would still go over 2 loss Wisconsin I'm sure even if they were somehow able to knock Ohio State out (which they can't).

Hmmm, maaaaaaaybe 2 loss Wisconsin could get in if Georgia, Clemson and Utah lose and they win convincingly. Putting them in over Clemson would make people's heads explode.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 4, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I feel it's set up so that if Utah and OU win (and assuming top 3 win), Oklahoma would have a shot to jump up to 4 based on the better win, especially with Okie State remaining top 25. But would Baylor be able to jump Utah? Still a better win, but I feel like Oklahoma has the brand behind it. Although if one game is close and the other a blowout that could affect it too. Will be interesting to see how the committee handles this, but they've got to be hoping one of them loses to make it easy.

Yeah that occurred to me too, they've got their excuse set up to keep Utah out with Baylor sitting right behind OU. I think Utah and Baylor wins (with a Georgia loss) are their worst nightmare, they want no part of either of those teams.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I think Saban has probably entered the “Paterno Zone” where the reverence for him becomes self-sustaining and he doesn’t even have to be great anymore. That’s not to say the teams won’t still be great, but even if they decline a bit he’s an institution now.

Yeah....no. 12 years isn't 35 or so before Paterno turned in two bad seasons in a row. And Saban hasn't even really turned in one. If he did it was his first.

The comparison makes no sense. Like, do you actually think if Saban went 5-7 next year that the fan base wouldn't be screaming for his head? Let alone Paterno's 3-9 in 2003.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I’m sure you could find the stupidest 100 people on the internet calling for his head, sure, but by and large no.

This is where we are now. Not after an actual bad season.

Which for the record I don't ever expect him to have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

They're still a top 3 program, probably not the time to hit the loving panic switch.

Yeah I don't think anyone actually expects anything to go on, I just find the Paterno thing General Dog is bringing up ridiculous.

Another Paterno difference is he spread a bunch of 'goodish' 3 and 4 loss seasons in there. Bama has been ruined by Saban's success and I think they'd turn on him if he were ever actually bad. It's been 9 years since Bama lost 3 games in a season, Paterno never had more than 5 in a row I think. While playing less games per season.

Emron posted:

Again, you can find commenters on the internet saying whatever you want, but the school is not going to fire him for losing two games and possibly a bowl game. Reading Meltdown Monday or whatever isn't an accurate representation of the actual fan base or the school's decision making. It's pure fantasy to think otherwise.

Yeah my main complaint is he hasn't been close to bad yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was vaguely aware that Kansas was trying to screw Beaty over his buyout but I didn't know the full extent of the loving.