Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

https://www.3aw.com.au/victorian-mp-proposes-naming-a-freeway-after-band-tism/

quote:

A member of Victorian Parliament is campaigning for the currently under construction Mordialloc Freeway to be named after 80s and 90s alternative rock band TISM (an acronym for ‘This is Serious Mum’).

Liberal Democrat MP for South East Metropolitan Victoria, David Limbrick, floated the idea.

“In the city we’ve got these laneways called AC/DC Lane, they’re going to have Hutchence Lane and stuff, and I’m thinking ‘well why don’t we do it out in the South-East Metro area?,” he told 3AW’s Tom Elliott.
Ewww.

A video of his address to the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Merry Christmas Auspol, I hope no one you care about has their house burned down. :smith:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

My bet is that his empathy consultant told him to do it.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/siobhanheanue/status/1212748266695118848?s=20

jfc
At this stage why is he even bothering? He could travel to Canberra stay in a HEPA building and say he is working tirelessly behind the scenes managing when in reality doing gently caress all. At least there won't be horrendous PR blunders.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

Pretty sure this whole bushfire mess will trigger our first recession in almost thirty years.

I'm looking forward to Smoko's presser where he tells people these are the fires we had to have.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is Rupert Murdoch still actively involved in all his media stuff?
He probably has hired very competent sycophants to do his bidding at his media companies. It's claimed his favourite son, Lachlan, is more of a climate change denier than himself. Although James Murdoch is not on board with climate denial, apparently.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Holy poo poo, I checked eBay, these are sold listings:
Tickets are hot for the poo poo show. I walked into Woolies today and out of 15 customers leaving 4 of them didn't have toilet paper. I worked in a cleaning supply store until last year and I managed to take with me a 24 pack of toilet rolls that has lasted myself and my housemate until now and I still have 8 rolls left. If you really need to stockpile toilet paper (for whatever the gently caress) look for commercial stuff that can come in 700 sheet rolls. It's almost twice as long per roll as the stuff you buy at the supermarket.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

You've got to make sure it's compatible with your toilet roll holder though
I found the larger rolls can fit in most domestic bathrooms, since the dispensers are just hooks. But an enclosed dispenser that you find in public toilets where you have to stack the rolls will run into issues. However, I'm not giving advice for public restrooms. Just home making GBS threads.

JBP posted:

Cops have tasered a man on a toilet paper rampage at Big W.

lol

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Mattjpwns posted:

Retail workers in a couple of very large chain businesses are being asked to take reduced hours to "offset loss of profit due to the Coronavirus".
I work for a small company during the week (party equipment hire) and I was discussing this with my boss that I will be able to cut back on hours if things become that dire but there will be a floor to the amount of hours I will work. Fortunately I got a casual weekend job in warehousing 3 weeks ago which can help out but it's for computer parts and I'm not too sure how supply will be going... At least I have a stockpile of my medication, alcohol and Doom Eternal pre-order to get me through these uncertain times.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Reclines Obesily posted:

how did you swing getting a stockpile of medicine, I gotta wait once a month
I'm T1 diabetic and still use flexpens. The registrars will include a repeat on the script incase I can't return to the clinic before my supply runs out.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

gently caress idiot king, anidav, go full ilKhan and begin to purge posters via trials
If the virus doesn't kill you the IKs will.

Got a house party tomorrow. I might skip it - depends on the situation tomorrow. Fortunately I have stocked up on all the necessities food, meds, grog, Doom:E pre-order and paid all my bills and rent. I would dread to be someone on casual wage, even if I was I could live with my mum who is nearby until its all over.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Yeast posted:

McClaren just pulled out of the Grand Prix with a team member testing positive.

I think the race is off now.
The Ferrari team is probably has bigger worries than fast cars right now.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I spoke to my 9-5 boss today and he said work has almost completely dried up and there is not enough for 1 person. I was expecting this, he just bought a new truck for me to do deliveries and moved to a new shed so he has very little cash to spare. I assured him (and I was genuinely expecting this conversation) it was OK and everyone else was hurting. Thank loving christ I got that weekend warehouse job a month ago - I just took an available shift for Monday, assuming that place doesn't close down for public health reasons.

I also spoke to my 76 year old mum, she doesn't seem concerned with the events that are happening. :bgc:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Comstar posted:

We HAVE rationing of essential items this week. For the last 2 weeks, every time I went to the supermarket, there was 1-2 less items on the shelves. It's getting worse. What happens in 2-4 weeks when the garbage, water, power, don't have the staff on hand to work for those who can't work from home?
Calm down.

So many people were buying computer monitors at work today it was unbelievable.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

To make working from home easier??
Apparently so. A high amount of stuff being sold for productivity. Eg, monitors, monitor mounts, mice, keyboards, network gear, cables, etc...

If you are working with a multi-monitor setup at work you would want the same stuff back at home if you have to work from there.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Well I have 5 days off from work. Fortunately I have 6 bottles of Jack Daniels. So I am all ok.

I will be cancelling my private health insurance tomorrow.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

gently caress my housemate is dumb. She booked a flight to Sydney (from Brisbane) only 3 days ago and is set to fly out Sunday. She also does social media work to interact with customers but does not under any circumstance want to work from home (not a recent thing, she prefers to work in an office) but she doesn't quite seem to grasp the fact that her boss might not be able to accommodate her wishes due to a global pandemic. :wtc:

I also just ordered a few kilos of protein powder just in case I can't get or run out of meat.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Nice dive in the stock market today.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Scylo posted:

Might only have five days before I have to leave and I'm not even sure where to go to self isolate yet lol
Christmas Island

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

uvar posted:

Samoa: unsafe
American Samoa: safe

North Korea finally steps inline with most of the world.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

My thoughts is that end of the Southern hemisphere cold season before number of active cases will be less than now so shutting schools now implies Oct - Nov? before schools starts again?
There won't be much school left for the year if it restarts in November. I would hate to be a parent right now.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

hooman posted:

QANTAS stands down 20k employees.
I wonder how long it will take for domestic flights to be cancelled.

bowmore posted:

This is going to be an interesting year
Already is.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

It is. What song is playing though?

How bad is the housing market is going to crash? I can't imagine prices will remain this high when unemplyoment is well over 10%.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Thanks. It's quite catchy.

Lid posted:

Theres another consideration - buyers.

What sort of person wants to buy with this uncertainty savrificing liquid for an asset that could collapse at any momeent
Maybe someone in a secure job (not me) with a cash on hand (definitely not me) and the market has already bottomed out?

A lot of poo poo has already happened in the last 3 months but we still have a long way to go before the full economic consequences are felt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are you counting the finessed number that doesnt include underemployment

I should have been clearer, people not working at all. If I included the underemployed the number would be much higher.

I went to a birthday in September last year. It was my great uncle's 100th birthday and I can't be sure yet that the depression he lived though as a child would be better or worse than what we are going to experience in the next few years.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

JBP posted:

Could be doing a lot worse.

8 weeks in QLD?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

JBP posted:

Don't think I've ever seen a Queenslander in Port Douglas.
Tourists and locals are equally ugly and dumb.

I was thinking back to school when I did the subjects of economics and history that covered the '29 Crash, Depression and 1987. If learning institutions are still around in 80 years time 2000-2050 is gonna be a subject all on its own.

gay picnic defence posted:

It's not even close

I can't wait for Biden to win and we get someone with less mental faculties than Trump.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

JBP posted:

Trump has literally said that once the 15 day weight loss challenge ends that it's back to business.
Trump says a lot of things.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

JBP posted:

How long does it take to have a safe installed, apply for a licence and get a gun?

https://frinkiac.com/gif/S04E21/253152/258157/

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I went to vote at the Brisbane local elections tonight. Everyone was keeping their distance I was told by the election official that it wasn't necessary to preference. I still did and put LNP last. Everyone was keeping their distance which was nice although are the officials there getting tested for Roni before they work? They still have to hand me ballot papers.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

If he dies from it my only regret he can't see how all the decisions were terrible that led him there.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

My mum invited me over for dinner with family on Sunday :( She's a former nurse I thought she would know better than that. Also there are 2 loud house parties happening near me :( Everyone is going to get this.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

JBP posted:

What state are you in? The Victorian cops will go in and book everyone.
QLD. I will say they are indigenous Australians.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Some of these landlords must think they have property in Middle Earth because it's an incredible fantasy they've got going where the rental market is just full of people with bursting wallets ready to move into a freshly located home in the middle of a pandemic and massive economic downturn.
My friend is a property manager. I was on the phone to him last week and I don't think he understood the ramifications of a loving pandemic. He despises evictions but he just said 'everyone has to pay rent', he is in for a nasty shock soon.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

Getta load of this guy

A $1000 dollar fine for texting while driving and a $1000 fine for breaking for quarantine during a pandemic. Cool.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Given that both pose a significant risk to the health of people in society I'm not seeing the problem here.
I think $1000 is kind of low considering the circumstances we are in. Medical costs are expensive and if the person was ordered to quarantine and broke it whilst sick, the costs to the community would be much higher than a car crash while texting.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I just came back from IGA Greenslopes. They had paper towels, a hand sanitizer dispenser and their staff were spraying down the self serve checkout. Good stuff. Although I didn't seem them wearing any gloves. Not so good.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Anidav posted:

Folks are of the opinion that you are both gimmick posters who are ruining this community forever.
JBP has been around for ages. I won't stand for this gentrification of Auspol threads.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Crosspostin'

https://twitter.com/AnnastaciaMP/status/1245611779687731200

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Anidav posted:

Wait why doesn't Richard Branson care about this?
He is a billionare?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Any computer touchers here who know much about laptops?

I'm thinking of getting a new one because I'm working from home and the current laptop was not purchased with this sort of thing in mind.
AMD is releasing their new processors on laptops.

This is a review for their flagship and it looks pretty amazing. I am sure cheaper processors from the same stack will be available soon. Also AMD can do multi monitor graphics much more competently than Intel. But if you are needing a lappy now you will have to go with Intel. There are some comparions of the cheaper processors on that website but it pulls numbers from non-English reviews
https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ProBook-x360-435-G7-Ryzen-5-4500U.456560.0.html
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Swift-3-SF314-42-R1PR.459634.0.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nJF5MDGJg