Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol gently caress you if you're still in lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They already have stopped lending to each other, that's why the repo operations are ongoing since like, October.

And the fed have had to step in to save the lending market because our economy relies on it so heavily.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If we had let the banks fail our banking system would have never recovered and the vacuum would have been filled with foreign banks.

Also while the rich would lose a lot of their net worth, everyone else would lose jobs.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nixon was a paranoid creep who sabotaged Vietnam peace talks to help his candidacy resulting in tens of thousands of American and over a MILLION Vietnamese dead. The only point he should have gotten for Vietnam was the point of an impalement spike in his colon.
Any policy you want to give him credit for, remember he was facing massive Democratic supermajorities.
gently caress Nixon in hell forever.

Nixon was willing to reach across the isle to get things done for the good of the american people

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just can't wait for the bottom to fall out. It's gonna be a disaster and I'd rather we get this poo poo on than keep making the money fire pile taller, which we'll have to do anyhow to get any kind of healthcare or housing legislation passed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What's a BDE?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Big Dick Energy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Brigade.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yikes

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Both of them have probably used the n word as well.

Nixon was antisemitic and racist, there's no excusing this, but at least he was a friend to Native Americans (https://newrepublic.com/article/155440/indian-country-deserves-better-hero-richard-nixon)

Obama may have saved the economy with his bailouts, which was for the greater good, but it disproportionately saved the financial industry over everyone else. The stimulus could have been larger (the GOP had no power to stop this) and in doing so bailing out Americans/homeowners as well. This wasn't done because of a phobia toward inflation, but by not giving everyone cash he also cemented the Democratic Party as the one of elite technocrats.

colachute posted:

The reasons the banks committed fraud is because they knew they could get away with it because they are 100% “too big to fail.” “Big” doesn’t mean power, “big” means so entrenched in our economy that if they fail, the economy fails.

Too big to fail is becoming a trend here with Boeing and the automakers. Are these mergers happening because of global competition?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 1, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Yeah, that can be a lot of dudes. Neighborhood of, what, 4-8k depending on which one they send. One from the 82nd, probably on the heavier side.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Source?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mustang posted:

a BDE from the 82nd deploying to Kuwait due to the events at the embassy in Baghdad. Happy New year's fellas

I thought he had a link in his post. Let's see what shakes out of the evening news tree.

Here ya go:
https://abc11.com/politics/82nd-airborne-division-preparing-for-deployment-amid-unrest-in-baghdad/5803067/

750 deploying so far.

Military.com is saying 500, fox news is saying up to 4000. Shake, news tree, shake.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 1, 2020

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

from CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/31/politics/iraq-embassy-additional-forces-mark-esper/index.html

choice bits

quote:

A US defense official told CNN later Tuesday that the US Military is expected to soon deploy additional forces to the Middle East in response to the situation. The number of troops will initially be less than a thousand additional US soldiers drawn mostly from the 82nd Airborne Division in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, according to the official.

A larger force involving several thousand soldiers, a brigade-type element, has also been placed on stand-by and could also be deployed to the region if the need arises.

The US also earlier deployed about 100 US Marines from a crisis response task force based in Kuwait to bolster security at the embassy. Those Marines flew into the embassy compound aboard MV-22 Osprey aircraft.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Thanks Obama. Gotta clean his mess up again!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's not hard to understand how the rich keep getting away with it when y'all keep carrying water for the banks

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Trump is going to MASSTAC Baghdad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Banks fail, occupants of homes take possession because bank can't be bothered to stay in business and take mortgage payments, mortgage payments now shift to SUV purchases and consumer goods.

I see no problem with letting a bank fail, just let the families that hold mortgages under them take the home in concession for the bank being a bunch of dumb fucks with money. The government would gently caress it up though, by taxing the dismissed value of the mortgage as income.

Imagine what people would buy if their mortgage just disappeared one day. All that junk. That would sustain the economy alone.

:lol: That's not what would happen.

Banks would sell mortgages to predatory businesses, homeowners get hosed over twice as hard. Like what already happens, but to everyone.

colachute posted:

AIG would have failed. They’re one of the largest providers of every kind of insurance you can imagine.

Suddenly you millions of people people who had nothing to do with the housing market without health insurance, life insurance, homeowners insurance, etc etc etc.

You also have a lot of people getting laid off because the banks aren’t in service anymore, drastically increasing unemployment. I’m not talking executives, I’m talking lower level people.

Banks stop loaning to each other. If that stops then our entire economy will come to a screeching halt.

The reasons the banks committed fraud is because they knew they could get away with it because they are 100% “too big to fail.” “Big” doesn’t mean power, “big” means so entrenched in our economy that if they fail, the economy fails.

also that

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It's not hard to understand how the rich keep getting away with it when y'all keep carrying water for the banks

The rich keep getting away with it because they control the government so there is no accountability.

But I'd like to hear your version of how the banks fail without the utter disaster of tens of millions (or more) of Americans losing their jobs and many of them losing their homes within a few weeks.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 1, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Trump is going to MASSTAC Baghdad.

Why

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I think it’s more “it’s not hard to understand how the rich keep getting rich when they write the rule book”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
82nd supplies the bodies for the GRF so this isn't surprising.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

While my plans for the next few years aren't to expatriate to central or south america, I probably should bone up on my spanish. Leaving to gently caress off in a jungle hut would be so peaceful. Just somewhere I can jump into the Baja and drive to with a toolbox full of weed seeds and my VA disability, to get bit by some local spider and die of some mystery infection on the beach with a footlong blunt.

So peaceful.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I probably should have looked up what MASSTAC meant lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

82nd supplies the bodies for the GRF so this isn't surprising.

GRF is old and busted, long live IRF and CRF.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1212141281679466497?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Nixon was a motherfucker who broke this country and the New Deal Coalition. Anyone who thinks he was anything even close to Obama, as bad as you think he was, has no idea just how truly monstrous Dick Nixon was.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nixon was a motherfucker who broke this country and the New Deal Coalition. Anyone who thinks he was anything even close to Obama, as bad as you think he was, has no idea just how truly monstrous Dick Nixon was.

Also lied extremely hard to double us down on Vietnam.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Excerpt from Hunter S Thompson's Nixon obituary which you should go read posted:

Nixon's spirit will be with us for the rest of our lives -- whether you're me or Bill Clinton or you or Kurt Cobain or Bishop Tutu or Keith Richards or Amy Fisher or Boris Yeltsin's daughter or your fiancee's 16-year-old beer-drunk brother with his braided goatee and his whole life like a thundercloud out in front of him. This is not a generational thing. You don't even have to know who Richard Nixon was to be a victim of his ugly, Nazi spirit.

He has poisoned our water forever. Nixon will be remembered as a classic case of a smart man making GBS threads in his own nest. But he also poo poo in our nests, and that was the crime that history will burn on his memory like a brand. By disgracing and degrading the Presidency of the United States, by fleeing the White House like a diseased cur, Richard Nixon broke the heart of the American Dream.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Thompson would have had a ball of a time dealing with Trump, president Donald.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the car bailout happened right after my parents lost their house in the mortgage apocalypse

my father was very happy he owned a ford, but jfc i can never buy a gm or chrysler again

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my father was very happy he owned a ford, but jfc i can never buy a gm or chrysler again

Why would you want to buy an American car anyway?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the car bailout happened right after my parents lost their house in the mortgage apocalypse

And that's not a bad thing.

Korea and Japan make way better cars. Europe makes better cars. GM and Chrysler give no fucks about you, that's why a new half ton truck is $50k. Gotta price in $30k of profit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I like my Mondeo, but it's a European model anyway

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Some people think that your embassy getting sacked is bad, but I have good news. It's actually

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1212126024575660035?s=21

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm giving that one a like, can't not like that

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I like my Mondeo, but it's a European model anyway

the mondeo is the only car that clarkson, may, and hammond all like.

the grand tour did an amazing tribute to the entire line, from the cortina to the sierra cosworth to the mondeo.

Clarkson talking about his father's cortina 1600 E gives me feelings about my dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt78aQ15VfE

May is May. As always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhUnU2fqQjQ

and loving hammond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaiajETlR1I

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 1, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Ford took a bunch of federal loan money too, they just did it early enough they didn't need it from TARP.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

Ford took a bunch of federal loan money too, they just did it early enough they didn't need it from TARP.

yeah i read the al mullaly book that was thrown out to calm the stockholders tits and remember all that

also lol at him being all OH WHY DID I CHOOSE TO LEAVE BOEING BEFORE THE DREAMLINER LAUNCHED in the book. dudes prolly laughing his rear end off these days

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

Thompson would have had a ball of a time dealing with Trump, president Donald.

I'm glad he's dead and didn't have to see it. Carlin too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

He's real bad but for people who've never lived with Nixon and are living with Trump I'd say new standards are being set :shrug: