Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crick Watson is dispensing justice, and darts, to the eldritch miscreants of the Sword Coast.

This time the werewolf in the High Hedge shack did not take well to the cure that Thalantyr provided. Fortunately, aside from being immune to normal weapons, he's pretty much a pushover.

I feel this is a bit harsh, I mean, we did try to cure the guy. Still, can't really blame her for being upset. (We take a reputation hit for failing the quest, but Thalantyr still rewards us with the +1 fire longsword, which goes to Crick, for those times when darts aren't cutting it.)

Just had to capture this for posterity. She must have hit the ground really hard.

Another Ascalon's questpack quest, this one a little more involved than some of the others. Aaron Brunstein and his fiancee have gone missing, and judging from Barin the Ranger's report of a ghost haunting the site of their disappearance, it's not looking good for the young lovers.

And speaking of Ascalon quests, the epic tale of Jumper the rabbit continues here, as we finally acquire a replacement pet for Ugh the ogre.

Anyway, as before, we've come to Nashkel to round out our party. Composition's about the same as I had with Japhy, except we didn't hire Vynd and kept Imoen around. As for our sixth, we have a few options, canonical or otherwise. Just in Nashkel alone there's Minsc, Rasaad, and Edwin, along with the mod-added sorcerer Valerie. Over at the circus, there's Branwen and mod-displaced Quayle.

And...Aerie?

No, actually. She's here (courtesy of yet another mod) but won't join up. She gives you a lead into the Bentha-Zordral hostage situation, and, assuming you resolve that, will stick around and sell you things. She has some magic weapons and assorted trinkets for sale, and can also sell you healing like a temple.

Of course we have to sort out Zordral first. This is the first fight where Crick's wizard slayer abilities really come into play, as Zordral attempts to cast quite a few spells but fails at most of them, only managing to get off a magic missile before we finally put him in the ground.

As a reward, Aerie gives us a stone to flesh scroll for Branwen. Though it turns out we don't need it.

(Note: if you have the BG1 NPC project installed, Jaheira will also take the scroll off Zeke without you having to buy it.)

Back to potential recruits. Dorn is always an option...

Er, never mind.

But this young woman, hanging out at the Prism v. Greywolf encounter, is who we're here to recruit. This is Isra, a Cavalier in service to Sune, and probably my favorite NPC mod for BG1.

Respectable stats, though we're going to need to get her some dex gloves immediately.

But first she needs a magic weapon. This fine fellow is willing(?) to oblige.

It's long past time we avenged Japhy. There's one additional bandit here, Bimmy. Who is, like Crick, a wizard slayer, but unlike Crick he has a +2 composite longbow and magic armor, which explains a few things. Ah, the joys of a heavily modded game.

That could definitely have gone better, but any fight you can walk away from, yeah?

Not pictured: Neera being one-shot by a random ogre berserker and taking my Iron Party honor with her. We raise her and press on.

I didn't capture it before but the lead-in for Drake is that he has hired you to help him with the bounty for Bassilus. Who can be a scary fight thanks to SCS, er, provided he doesn't fail his save vs Command. Which today he does.

Drake is not exactly the most pious priest ever.

A sad ending for Melicamp.

It's probably high time we sorted out the Nashkel Mines, though we're going to rescue the Dexterity gauntlets Dynaheir first. And maybe do Neera's quest if we're feeling lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fred Flintstone has defeated Sarevok!

Didn't do the entire tower but grabbed the tome.

Got some nice items from some guy named Balduran.

Things went pretty smooth here.

The last of the stat tomes.

The only death in the entire game.

Sarevok once he was separated from his helpers wasn't very hard. Angelo didn't get any arrows of detonation off before dying.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader
Dishonors: None

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Trip report so far: four characters dead before they managed to get inside FAI. A moment of silence for those unknown heroes.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Idahoant posted:

Edwin is great but because I am not playing a caster and he can't cast identify, I need to add someone else. I was thinking of getting Garrick but I might just keep Imoen and dual her, Garrick is just too terrible.

Garrick can use wands which automatically makes him OP for BG1.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Suspicious posted:

He can also (a) use bows and (b) cast sleep which makes him a minor deity for at least the first half of BG1.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
drat straight, wands are unbelievably strong in BG1. The wand of paralysation in particular is very under-rated against high level single targets, it works on just about everything.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Garrick is actually extremely good what with having 16 dex. Mages in Baldur's Gate 1 are just glorified sleep and wand-users, so having a guy with a decent AC, some combat abilities, and 6 HP per level is pretty darn good.

Especially because now that bard song actually does something and protects you from the status effect that gets you killed most often early in the game, he's just a wonderful constant buff.

...dang, maybe I should have recruited him.

Anyway, I've never played Siege of Dragonspear before; it's gonna get REAL weird if I manage to get Ashe through this BG1 campaign because I'm leaving absolutely NO fog of war uncovered. That means all kinds of nasty fights.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Suspicious posted:

docbeard posted:

He can also (a) use bows and (b) cast sleep which makes him a minor deity for at least the first half of BG1.

That's true but imoen dualled to mage can do those same things, and has a higher dex. And garrick has proficiency in xbows to start so not as good as bows.

But ok, Garrick is OP, a minor deity even. That's why everyone uses him so much, he's probably in 75% of the parties here isn't he?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Garrick's 13 intelligence gives him a stunning 55% success rate scribing scrolls, which makes him functionally illiterate unless you're savescumming like mad or playing at low difficulties where scroll scribing is guaranteed.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, but Garrick can use wands immediately, assuming you get past Silke. Who's a pushover encounter, unless you have SCS. Garrick being under-rated doesn't make him bad, and being worse than Imoen isn't exactly unique.

Speaking of SCS, I finally got around to starting a run.

This is Isabelle, the Priest of Helm. I'm using a few tweak mods, as well as a full install of SCS, on Insane difficulty. Like my run last year with Celeste, the double damage is turned off. However this will be a full party run, I plan to use Imoen, Neera, Dorn, Rasaad and Viconia. That final slot might change yet, though. I fancied a change of pace from my usual solo runs.

I've not done too much yet, but Seeking Sword has already proved its worth by slicing Tarnesh in half after he was softened up a bit by Imoen's arrows and Wand of Magic Missiles.

Isabelle and Imoen are currently in Beregost, and have found the (Formally massively overpowered, but still useful) Stupifier mace. I won't need anything else for Isabelle until really late into SoD, assuming I can get there.

Next up is more early game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Or you have him drink a potion of genius, which the game offers numerous copies of and for really no purpose other than this, before going on a scribing binge.

I mean, we all know this. Is Garrick as ridiculous as Coran? No. But bards are good, and as the only bard in the game who doesn't come saddled with Skye, and early availability, Garrick is good.

If you were doing EXTREME POWERGAMING, would Garrick be in a 6-man party? Not at all. But even a bard with terrible stats is still a guy capable of using wands, shooting things, and keeping the party from panicking like a bunch of idiots. That's very good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FairGame posted:

Or you have him drink a potion of genius, which the game offers numerous copies of and for really no purpose other than this, before going on a scribing binge.

That still only gets him up to 75% success rate, which is super bad for an ironman run. Guy's dumb.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

biscuits and crazy posted:

Insane difficulty

double damage is turned off

Isn't that just Core Difficulty?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

Isn't that just Core Difficulty?

Not with (the most recent version of) SCS installed. The difficulty slider controls a lot of AI settings.

Even without SCS, higher difficulties spawn more monsters, I believe.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mzbundifund posted:

That still only gets him up to 75% success rate, which is super bad for an ironman run. Guy's dumb.

:allears:

:allears:

My god, it's uncanny.

Anyway, there aren't really that many spells that don't have craploads of copies where he'd eventually get it right, but then I remembered that bards get 5th level spells. And boy would I be upset if Garrick ruined one of the like 2 cloudkill scrolls in the game. Or the stoneskin that you get at the end of Neera's quest.

edit: if Ashe dies I'm gonna do 6 arcane casters and Garrick will likely lead the team in kills.
edit2: bards don't get level 5 spells in BG1 so the "you ruined my cloudkill" scenario is out.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 9, 2019

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

docbeard posted:

Not with (the most recent version of) SCS installed. The difficulty slider controls a lot of AI settings.

Even without SCS, higher difficulties spawn more monsters, I believe.

I probably should have mentioned that detail, huh. But yeah, for SCS v.32, Insane difficulty is equivalent to picking all the hardest settings for components in earlier versions. It's the same setup as I had last year, basically.

As for monster spawns, I know that difficulty affects the size of groups in SoD, they can get massive on Insane. BG1 random spawns are a bit weird, both the number of enemies and whether they spawn at all are random, IIRC. There's probably a spawn randomiser where you can fine tune the settings for that for the EE out there somewhere, but I've yet to find it. BG2 ones are entirely level dependent I think. SCS changes that with a component, as did Tactics back in the day.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

FairGame posted:

I mean, we all know this. Is Garrick as ridiculous as Coran? No. But bards are good, and as the only bard in the game who doesn't come saddled with Skye, and early availability, Garrick is good.

If you were doing EXTREME POWERGAMING, would Garrick be in a 6-man party? Not at all. But even a bard with terrible stats is still a guy capable of using wands, shooting things, and keeping the party from panicking like a bunch of idiots. That's very good.

The spell scribing is pretty bad because those potions aren't free, and they're not super-abundant either. I think only the priestess at the Friendly Arm has them in the whole early area, and she has 4 genius and 4 mind focusing, so you can't just use them all the time. I just had Edwin learn a few spells and with a potion of genius he still had a 2% chance of failing so the potions can't all go to Sir Garrick either. However, for me I would have Garrick or whoever my 2nd caster is learn identify, magic missile, invisibility, strength and mirror image, and there's plenty of those scrolls around even with his low chance.

But I know that bards are good, I'd love to have a good bard in the party. The game I'm playing now not for the Ironman is with a PC Blade and Imoen is a Swashbuckler, and they're fancy fighting rogue sisters going through the whole series. It's great. Playing a blade without Haer'Dalis' low Con is a joy. Imoen is going to be the Carsomyr wielder with UAI and the busted Swashbuckler whirlwind attack.

I remember going through a phase with Garrick where I told myself 'you're just not using him right' and I tried him out seriously, but he just seems to suck on some level beyond his stats or him being a bard. He's still a swiss army knife character and he's certainly not the worst NPC in the game. We all have our favorites though, I am a big Khalid fan for instance.

Fair Game posted:

edit: if Ashe dies I'm gonna do 6 arcane casters and Garrick will likely lead the team in kills.

That's hilarious. I just imagine duding out Garrick with every good item and pumping him up into this killing machine.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 9, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, made it into FAI. Meet Beelzebubbles the Shaman, named so for her foreseeable future of summoning lots and lots of insects as well as her impeccable fashion sense.

It's a pretty good first roll of eighty four or so: went a bit powergamey because I assume the Shaman spellcasting works the same way as the Sorcerer's, i.e. no stat requirements so I can focus on making her tougher.
For mods, I went with some tweaks most of which shouldn't be apparent until BG2 (provided I get that far which seems unlikely at best) - xp cap removed, multiple strongholds and so on. I also use the IWDified spell tables because anything that can give me more offensive options on the Druid spell list is useful. Speaking of offensive...

The wildlife in front of Candlekeep already ate two of my Ironman attempt characters this year so I figured the silly class may as well have revenge. The plan was to cast Entangle near the bear while Imoen pelts it with arrows and Beelzebubbles does her spirit dance thing to summon bear fodder. It's pretty sound theoretically. Pictured: the moment it stopped working.

Turns out bears can actually break free when tied up with knots of grass or whatever. This one had a happy end and the spirit hound and Imoen managed to kill the bear before it got to attack, but the incident left me shaken enough to leave the other bear well alone.

Recruited Xzar, Montaron and Eldoth, with the bard dying to the crossroads ogre; his 15 health will be missed, his behavior will not. Xzar and Montaron were used to gib Tarnesh and promptly kicked out; so here we are in the FAI and the question is where is the least dangerous place to go next.

e: Oh for gently caress's sake, wrong image links. Look, the first one has a character sheet, the second one a decidedly unentangled bear and the third one i just an interior shot of FAI carefully composed to show off the protagonist's lovely candy pink hair.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fred Flintstone the human berserker/mage has been stealing and doing some basic questing in Athkatla.

I left the first dungeon and went and did the circus to get enough xp to dual class to mage. After that I kicked everyone out but Yoshimo and we did some stealing.

I stopped when we got to 5 million gold then kicked out Yoshimo. I also took an irl break at 3 million because my arm was killing me from all the button presses.

Got some much needed items like the Amulet of Power, Wand of Cloudkill, Wand of Fire, Rod of Resurrection and a few minor trinkets. Then I also got my berserker levels back and got all the scrolls I could.

So far I've done circus, Copper Coronet (just the inn itself not the slaver boat part) and bridge murders.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I dunno why, but BG2 is always terrifying to me in Ironman runs.

Theo wrapped up the Gnoll Fort I guess is the most notable thing up to now. Yeslick Kaigan is now an untouchable boulder with the dex gauntlets. Charisma book is secure too.

I'm still taking things slow in BG1. Just moseying around the countryside, cherry-picking some choice equipment.
Also, apparently this is the fist time I seriously recruited Edwin since getting the enhanced edition because...

Chievo Get!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ok I tried this last year with the Shapeshifter Leandra Moonshadow, got as far as the Friendly Arm before life circumstances distracted me and I stopped playing.

So I thought I'd start up another Shapeshifter! Meet Shadowstalker:

Lovely gal. Shank killed her.

So instead of crippling myself with a shapeshifter I figured I'd try a gnome barbarian. Meet Sirena:

How will she do against Shank, slayer of shapeshifters?

...to shreds, you say?

In any event, this character has also gotten to the Friendly Arm and recruited Khalid and Jaheira, though poor Montaron was slain by Tarnesh in a last act of defiance by the dying mage. In any event, everyone is geared up so it's time for a little questing around the inn before heading down to Beregost, one lunatic lighter.

I haven't actually beaten BG1 in about fifteen years, so what I remember is scattered and piecemeal, and teenage me would often restart after getting through the mine or the bandit camp to try a different character, so let's see how far my vague recollections get me. If I actually survive to BG2 I know that game a lot better, so fingers crossed.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 10, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

In any event, this character has also gotten to the Friendly Arm and recruited Khalid and Jaheira, though poor Montaron was slain by Tarnesh in a last act of defiance by the dying mage. In any event, everyone is geared up so it's time for a little questing around the inn before heading down to Beregost, one lunatic lighter.

Good ol Montaron and Xzar, bravely throwing themselves on wolf and Tarnesh shaped grenades from the opening to the FAI before being ruthlessly dropped. One of these days I'm gonna actually use those guys and give them their due. Heck, I'll do it next run if Theo croaks. For Montaron at least. Even if wizards are basically wand holders for most of bg1, Xzar is still a bit much.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fred Flintstone has been completely beating the rear end off everything in Amn.

Did Thieves Guild, Trademeet, then swung by and did Planar Sphere.

There are few things improved haste + mislead can't handle.

My apprentices failed to make a scroll of Horrid Wilting however. I thought I remembered they could succeed but maybe I'm remembering it wrong. They did however make a Ring of Wizardry so I could have two. Sure 2/3rds of them died but that's progress.

I decided it's time to get a party going and recruit 'hexxat.'

Soon after we have the entire party assembled.

Hexxat showing the worth of traps placed exactly where an enemy spawns.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man I seriously cannot wait to get to BG2.

What's, uh...what's a Hexaat?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

She's a new vampire thief in the EE. Along with Dorn, Rassad, Neera and Wilson they are the new recruitable npc's in BG2 EE.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My Hubris got me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Kangaxx, I guess? Did your protections run out?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Kangaxx, I guess? Did your protections run out?

I didn't enrage for some dumb reason and I got hit with symbol stun. Then he hit me with a wail of the banshee while stunned. I reloaded my save after that and enraged and beat him easily. Really dumb gently caress up on my part to not enrage.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

Oh poo poo! RIP, it didn't seem like anything was stopping you.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Elmer Fudd the gnome Fighter/Illusionist is here to kick rear end.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I can't wait for the adventures of Quayle, But He's Buff

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Beelzebubbles is still alive and kicking, reached level 2 and is slowly questing around Nashkel. The missing character sheet from the last time, right before getting to level 2:

Cleared out Beregost and went running around gathering party members - I want to use the EE companions this time, so I gathered Neera, Dorn and Rasaad although I cannot shake the feeling that a low level monk just sucks (anything to make him work better? Weapons or not - I am leaning towards "yes" since the fists don't really do anything at this point in the game), rounding the party up with Imoen and Branwen; that's the composition I am hoping to keep until the end of the game whenever that may come.

Slowly exploring the wildreness around Nashkel and Beregost and wondering if I should tackle the Gnoll Stronghold or Nashkel Mines first, although both kinda depend on me getting some better equipment first. God I suck at BG1.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I gave Rasaad the cloak of the wolf you get in the flesh golem cave and let him run around biting stuff. Still wasn't good, but was notably better than his human form which SUUUUUUUCKS

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
If you use a glitch*, (Or cheese a kill with the Wand of Monster Summoning) you could give him one of Drizz't's scimitars to shore up his AC in melee a little, other than that, hes just a sling/dart user. Unfortunately, he still sucks even with a good endgame SoD weapon, Monks are truly awful in BG1, he's probably the worst NPC in the game.

*The old glitch where you walk up to him while invisible and watch the gnolls slowly kill him wasn't fixed properly. It still works as long as you never actually see Drizz't, his script never starts and he'll just stand there. You miss out on the 12k XP for killing him of course, but it's trivial to do.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I've never really tried it but I imagine a party of level 7s and 8s could just beat the poo poo out of Drizzt. His only trick is hitting things really hard, and a hasted bunch full of various potions would probably wreck him pretty quickly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Short Beelzebubbles update: Killed Bassilus and Melicamp lives.

Rasaad starting to seriously piss me off with having to have two healers pointed at him all the time. Considering bringing back Kagain instead of the bastard.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh yeah, a high level party would destroy Drizz't. A solo level 8 warrior buffed with potions beats him easily, and a solo thief can backstab him to death. In fact, it's not at all viable in an Ironman, but with a lot of save-scumming a solo thief can kill him literally straight out of Candlekeep with 0XP, with enough critical backstabs and an oil of speed.

Literally the only downside to the glitch is missing out on a big chunk of XP. 12k is the 4th biggest in all of BG1, behind only the Demonknight, Sarevok and Aec'Letec.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 10, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Busy day of errands, so not much progress, but I did have a little bit of fun this evening.

Quayle is kinda the MVP so far.

Or he would have been, except for our unofficial 7th party member, Ursa

They did not hesitate at all to put the hurt on Nexlit

Even Borda, that jerk mage with the max power magic missiles didn't last long. What a good bear.

Too bad the charm wore off shortly afterwards. Like really shortly afterwords. Like, "oh thank goodness I didn't have to face off against a murderous mage AND a p.o.'d cave bear at once" shortly.

Theo the Ranger is putting his ranger abilities to questionably "good" use. Nexlit is kinda a grey area, but I forget if Borda pings as explicitly evil when you Sense Alignment him. I mean, I know I still need the fallen paladin / ranger achievement, but now isn't the time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crick Watson has rescued prisoners (plural) from the gnolls, killed a bunch of bugs, and slain the third most annoying wizard in Neera's quest. (The second and first are on our side.)

Really just checking a few boxes before we hit up the Nashkel Mines.

I am sadly old enough to have recognized this reference without any assistance.

The encounter with Vax and Zal is slightly complicated by two groups of elite hobgoblins being present as well. Most of them are asleep at this point but one of them gets a lucky poison shot off on Imoen and before I notice she's turned all grey. Still, at least Crick can now legally call himself the Fastest Dart Thrower on the Sword Coast, and has a pair of Bracers of Archery that he cannot in any way wear. Goddammit. (I give them to Imoen as a welcome-back-from-the-dead present.)

I thought I was going to have to camp to get her to show up (she only appears at night) but I guess it was late enough. This is Aaron Brunstein's girlfriend. She was murdered by gnolls while he was captured, and she's stuck around because...

Yeah. This one's a bit of a downer, folks.

We keep heading west. With these and her Ankheg Plate, Isra's AC is a credible -3, which is good because she's our main tank at this point aside from the ghost critters Jaheira (who is a Fighter/Totemic Druid in this timeline, courtesy of NPCs Enhanced For Everyone) summons.

We rescue Dynaheir and send her to meet up with Minsc at the Friendly Arms.

After Drake settles in as a permanent party member, he starts to open up about his past. He's nobly born and was in the army and later the Amnish guard, and became disillusioned with the whole thing as a result of seeing how impossible it was for rich people to get brought to justice, and how sometimes he had to fight 'rebels' who were just kids with improvised weapons.

We find this Engagement Ring of Protection on some gnolls.

And here's Aaron himself. We set him free and, after picking up the Charisma tome (as an aside, if I ever find out which modder thought throwing a couple cave bears in that drat cave was a good idea, words will be had), we escort him back to Nashkel and, er, break the bad news.

He takes it about as well as could be expected, but does give us the ring to give to Marina. Which we'll get around to doing at some point.

We head off to kill some bugs and grab the fireball wand. Travelogue courtesy of Jaheira's Guide To The Sword Coast. After this, and turning in the bounty for Bassilus, we head off to Adoy's Enclave to do Neera's quest...

Stopping over briefly in the Valley of the Tombs to win the game.

Dammit, Neera, I can't take you anywhere.

Here we are mid-fight with Ekander. I don't like this fight much, it's absurdly difficult for the point in the game you're likely to go into it. Two wizards, an ogre beserker, and a couple of barbarian Thayan Bodyguards who are scripted to home in on Neera.

We even the odds a bit with that cloudkill scroll we found in the wilderness, which does for one of the wizards, but not Ekander. The rest of the party and some summons mop up the others. The bodyguards are touch and go til I can get both Imoen and Neera invisible so the less squishy folks can handle them.

And Crick faces down Ekander more or less on his lonesome. Wizard Slayers have only one real trick, but it's a pretty good trick. Aside from his pre-buffs I don't think he gets a single spell off properly, since Crick can, in the space of a round and a bit and with some luck, reduce most any spellcaster from hero to zero. And given some of the bullshit he has at his disposal, that's a GOOD thing. It takes a little while but between cloudkill damage and darts, he falls without incident, making this the smoothest this fight has ever gone for me.

And, of course, aside from a Stoneskin scroll (the only reason I ever bother doing this drat quest) and the belt Adoy gives us, there's basically no drat treasure.

And to top it all off,

Neera is extremely grateful for our help.

But we're not in it for the...okay, we are in it for the cash. And the glory. And the cash. And the appreciation. And the cash. But mostly we're in it because it's the right thing to do. (Well, I say mostly...)

Speaking of which, we should probably deal with the Iron Crisis at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

More adventures of Ashe, human kensai

The final battle in Dorn's quest proves rather dangerous! Or at least more dangerous than "Baeloth hastes everyone. Win." I don't really know the EE specific content so I'm probably gonna die in SoD. I've had quite enough of Dorn at this point so I kick him out. Kivan and Coran will provide fire support for Ashe and Yeslick.

I also see that they recoded Shoal to just bring you down to 1 HP. Nice of them. Death is so annoying, especially when you initiate conversation with the child of Bhaal. Anyway, this is easy.

I use one of the scrolls of protection from petrification to let Ashe into the warehouse with the escaped basilisk. No problem.

This was unintentional! I did the "stop being poisoned" quest and gave them the book because I'm lawful good! But then I tried to get the dead kid back from them and they wanted 2000 gold. When you say you don't have the money (because I didn't have the money; I spent a ton at Sorcerous Sundries) she attacks you. So I ended up getting the book and the child for free. Odd, though. I sided with Tenya and I thought that gave you this quest for free.

Had to stun Ashe with a wand to keep her from murdering civilians in her confusion, but everyone is cured of poison now.

I thought there was a non-combat way to do this, too. Oh well.

All the characters from Walking Dead whose scripts didn't fire are still here, as we pass by them to go finish Rasaad's quest.

All these monks are terrible, my god. I mean, so's Rasaad so at least it's consistent.

Anyway, Imoen is working as a mage right now and hasn't gotten her thief levels back, and Coran is out of the party while Rasaad is here. So I don't see the fireball trap that nukes Rasaad.

This breaks scripting as I exit the cave since Rasaad's dead and can't deliver his lines. So Gamaz just stands there, waiting. Fine dude. Be right back.

Nope; still not interested. Whatever dude. We attack him and at least he fights back.

Given that his whole deal is "mad because Rasaad is stronger" this is a very easy fight. Rasaad, after all, is terrible!

Disaster nearly strikes as I get careless in the Beregost Temple area and Ashe gets paralyzed by some vampire wolves. But thankfully I can dish out enough damage to rescue her (which to be fair is why I let myself be careless in the first place.)

Coran's back, Rasaad is gone, and now I have a belt of 19 strength (and only -1 strength because he's a big dummy) on Yeslick. Will bum around the countryside a bit more as I hope to get Imoen's thief levels back. But everything's going well!