Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Arris is still alive but I’m thinking of just skipping straight to BG2. SoD is...bad.

In addition to the flaming fist dumb poo poo, I went to the first campaign area and was scouting around and suddenly my entire party got teleported to a boss battle. This despite the fact that the only unit in the area was an invisible cleric/thief with nondetection.

Then I won the boss battle by emotion hopelessnessing everything and it just kinda ended without me getting loot. The dudes stood up and hosed off.

And then I did some bardic stone quest which glitched out. There are ghosts just kinda standing there with nothing to say.

Then I fought some umber hulks who didn’t die to cloudkill or even need to save not to die like in BG2.

This really seems not great. Does it get better? Plus yeah I’m salty about my items randomly disappearing based on who my BG1 party was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
New year in a few hours, better get Maleficarum to the new-ish campaign.

"Spicy Man" is how my brain parses this.

I think they translated Lord of Murder as "Murder Man."

Wise Book

Has anyone EVER fallen for this poo poo?

Word Burger

Very few of them become sad enough to murder without recourse. Thankfully Yeslick and Branwen don't murder each other.

I got some ridiculous pants.

Wizard Island has the easiest solution.

The order to attack the dukes makes the dopplegangers incredibly sad and they fall down and begin weeping. I bash their brains in.

Taerom is soon to be indicted on charges of selling weapons to adventurers to funnel money to adventurers in SoD.

Level cap in the thief maze.

Greenstone Amulet getting work done.

I call in a massive artillery bombardment on the remaining three, hoping to soften up their position before charging in or possibly wiping them out entirely.

Artillery proves ineffective, and they show as "lightly wounded" in the aftermath of 36d6 fire damage.

Fortunately, Angelo suddenly becomes quite sad and lies down for a minute, allowing Branwen to beat his brains in.

Unable to make the remaining two sad, Xan settles for sowing chaos and blinding the big guy.

Xan celebrates our victory in the same manner he joined our party: dying pointlessly to an attack after the fight was over (I didn't realize he was out of throwing knives and had moved into melee since I was more concerned with the Bhaalspawns).

Despite his wishes to die and be dead forever, the game pulls him and his equipment through to SoD. Say nothing matters now, you nihilist!

Korlasz's gang sees the amount of undead back-up I brought and decide not to fight back. I mercifully cave in their skulls.

Since she made my life slightly inconvenient, I thwack her with my staff until she stops moving.

And now I'm ready to move further north up the Sword Coast and execute my Secret Directive.

Maleficarum has slain Sarevok!

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster
Dishonors: None.

Honestly, not doing Werewolf Island and Durlag's Tower this time was great, since those places are so drat stressful for me even if it is the 15th time doing them.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Well, readiong all of this made me decide to give a solo run a try again since I managed years ago to run BG1 through ToB as a F/M/T.

Sadly, despite good stat rolls, Greyta, Gnome Cleric/Thief got et by a wolf while trying to grab a talking chicken. Despite casting 2 commands on it she just decided she didn't want to hit it. Now to figure out if I want to attempt Cleric / Thief again or try something else as solo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Softface posted:

I think they translated Lord of Murder as "Murder Man."
Linguistic interlude: Actually they got it right, even if it sounds stupid because the word isn't used in connection with abstract concepts. The difference is between "pan" (mister) and "pán" (lord, master).
Mind you, they immediately make up for that with renaming Candlekeep to Shinyfort, although I suspect that was a pragmatic decision as well.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey sorry the OP hadn't been updated in a few days been busy with stuff IRL. Congrats to our new victor.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Isabelle, Priest of Helm has flooded the Cloakwood Mine.

First things first, Neera's quest. I was massively over-levelled for this (And Dorn's and Rasaad's too for that matter, but they're impossible to finish before Chapter 5, so thats more understandable) and it was a cakewalk as a result. Double web is a truly amazing thing, especially with level 7 clerics getting to cast Free Action.

Neera was less than thrilled when I pointed out that she had help.

Oh well, at least she's got this now. Fun fact, the Enhanced Edition additions of BG2 spells is actually based on a component from SCS. That component is skipped on EE installs, since for the most part its already there, but if you're using SCS with EasyTuTu this scroll is given to Davaeorn instead.

After another brief grind in the ankheg nest, Imoen and Neera levelled up again. In V.32 of SCS, sequencers and contingencies become innate abilities (The scrolls are all removed since they're now useless) that can be used once per rest, when you reach the appropriate level. Level 7 in the case of minor sequencer here. Its a nice little quality of life tweak, albeit only a relatively minor buff to mages in BG1. The scroll for minor sequencer would normally be in the Iron Throne building, so its not a huge difference really.

I decided to clear out the final wilderness area before returning to the Cloakwood. The 4 red wizards here were mostly killed with fireballs, this one barely survived that though, and got a few spells off. Luckily, Dorn's poison cuts through stoneskins quite effectively.

Then, on the way back to the Friendly Arm, I was ambushed by wyverns for some reason.

Amarande is worth a pathetic 120 XP, I'm never killing him again. With SCS, he's a dangerous level 11 Avenger. What a waste of time and resources.

The hamadryad can teleport even when she's stunned. A bit weird, but not dangerous.

:stare: loving hell, this was close. I've never been more glad that the 2 mages don't like to follow Drasus and hang back. Thank god for double web and having 2 clerics with healing spells.

:allears: Charming as always, our Viconia. I like the BG1NPC project sometimes.

Fire, and then more fire dealt with this. The narrow corridors and awful pathfinding made it more obnoxious than it should have been though.

Natasha was stunned, and I got a magical katana from an ogre-mage. Moving on.

I think luring the 2 battle horrors with skeleton warriors broke Davaeorn's AI somehow. He didn't even cast his sequencer, and just hid in this room after wasting his magic on the surviving skeletons. He died quite quickly after that.

I rescued the slaves flooded the mine as usual, I've been playing this game for nearly 20 years and I don't think I've ever left the slaves down there.

Next up, Dorn and Rasaad's quests, and exploring the Gate.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
That SCS tweak making contingencies and sequencers innate is a *very* well-conceived QoL feature. Kudos to whoever thought of it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, screw Siege of Dragonspear. I'm not enjoying it and it's buggy as all getout. The latest: I went in some undead nest, looked into a scrying pool, and...the game just kinda crashed.

I'm sure I can beat this if for no other reason than I have 2039230923009 gold and I can always go back for healing and recharging my wands, a la Icewind Dale. I beat every stupid encounter in this dungeon just by lobbing endless fireballs at it since I have about a zillion wands of fire.

Arris, human enchanter is moving to BG2 on account of SoD being bad and buggy.

E: now he’s dead for real because I hate playing wizards, turns out. Did the party of nerds in the Den of Seven Vales just to see if I could (I could) and then fought as many cowled wizards as I could handle (two, apparently.)

FairGame fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 1, 2020

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Maleficarum manages to Iran-Contra back about half of his gold.

I get to the mines, which are full of undead and some umber hulks. With a Ring of Free Action and the Greenstone Amulet, however, they're not much of a challenge.

Pretty quickly I hit level 9, and that means it's time to enact my Secret Directive.

Maleficarum is now a wizard. Unfortunately, scribing every single scroll I can buy from Belegarm only gets me to level 2, because 10 XP per spell level isn't much of anything at all. I have enough Wands of Fire that I can roll through all the undead except for one.

Getting my fighter levels back is going quicker than expected.

A brief but important update, I think, as Maleficarum casts his spells toward Caelar's crusade.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The bronze statue is a run ender. Unless you have a wand of ice. Then it keels over in 2 hits.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

My solo escapades are going better, but alas, pour one out for Gertryude, Half-Orc Cleric/Thief

Made much more progress this time, cleared most of the sidequests and cleared Nashkel mines, but unfortunately got caught by a hold person against the Flaming Fist who chases Viconia en-route to the bandits.

Viconia whiffed a bunch and failed to bring him down in time (barely, he was single digits hp) before he whittled me down.

Melicamp lived.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

It's time to rejoin the journey of Maleficarum as he kills his way toward Caelar.

The Bronze Sentry was dispatched by a Wand of Frost, and I find something else rather cold.

I stuff the undead nerd back in his magic box and throw him into a fire.

Normally being waylaid and falling into a troll cave would be an issue if I were alone, but with enough Wands of Fire and the Boots of Speed it's no big deal.

poo poo, I should use this spell more often.

I have my own way for dealing with these spiders. A whole pile of skeletons is adequate replacement for a tank.

I found the missing patrol.

I also found this thing, and think a little too late to cast Insect Swarm. Luckily, just in time to keep her from healing up under sanctuary.

Skeletons can't be mind controlled :)

I make some of the Illithid's buddy sad, at least enough that it makes the fight manageable. I'm getting short on bone shields.

Hm. It seems a Crusader wizard isn't as good as his word.

This actually surprised me, since I didn't know he'd alert the whole drat camp. I expected to have a wall of skeletons ahead of me, the way cleared by Cloudkill and Fireball as I carefully advanced. Instead I had to rush out one minion at a time, supplementing them with nymphs from M'khiin and holing up in this little corner where we found Dorn. It was dicey for a while, and toward the end I'm running very low on spells.

We do manage to break out of the pocket though, and push up to help the Bridgeport defenders. On the way there, the Flaming Fist FINALLY shows up, now that they have nothing to do.

This is a phase of the battle I haven't seen before, since I couldn't put enough damage on the mage to stop the summoning. I'm now critically low on spells, meaning I have zero on the Bhaalspawn and the rest are down to a couple level 1 or 2s.

Finally we clear the bridge, but I still have unfinished business.

As with Sarevok and his goons, I open the fight with a massive artillery barrage. It goes better, and the dragon's at Near Death by the time it wakes up.

I remember that it's just an Adult dragon, and gun it down with some Magic Missiles.

And now it's time to move on to the next chapter, where i will hopefully get my Fighter levels back before the final push.

Despite a surprise or two, Maleficarum is camped out Caelar's castle.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
After failing at Tranzig last time, I'm making another attempt with Benedict the Human Cavalier.

For fairness I reinstalled SCS, which shuffles the NPC spellbooks so I wouldn't know exactly which spells to expect. We pick up the usual suspects to fill out the starting party, clear out the immediate vicinity of Friendly Arm Inn, then make the run down to Nashkel, skipping most of the sidequests for now. Monty and Xzar are dropped off at the Nashkel Inn, replaced by Minsc and (on a whim) Branwen as well, though I don't expect to need her for the Gnoll Stronghold.

You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself -- Is it bandits? Wolves?
What

My first instinct is to run for it, and we make it about halfway to the edge of the map before the ogre mage throws out a Power Word: Sleep on Imoen. Since we're not going anywhere soon, Branwen turns around and hits back with a Command, dropping the ogre for one round. This takes away his mirror images but doesn't chip much into his health before he wakes up again and casts Sleep. Branwen is far enough from the group to avoid it, Benedict saves, but the rest of the party falls asleep. It's now two-on-one for the next three rounds. Benedict tanks a Burning Hands for 7 but is otherwise able to stay alive, and finally Imoen wakes up and starts firing away with her Wand of Magic Missiles. It takes all but one charge of the wand, but we manage to beat him.

Gnoll Stronghold itself goes well enough. We pick up Dynaheir temporarily, return to recruit Edwin in Nashkel, drop off Minsc and Dynaheir in the tavern, then re-recruit Branwen. At this point the party is set for a while so we head back north to finish off the early sidequests and get everyone up to level 3. Once again, Melicamp did not survive. We also bump into Neera whom I'd avoided on the way down. I didn't know this was a thing:

After leveling up we clear the Nashkel mines, which needed several trips since my sword kept breaking. Fittingly it even broke on Mulahey himself:

Time for Tranzig. After losing to his sleep spells last time, I avoid crowding the entire party into his room, instead letting Branwen confront him personally. She does an admirable job of tanking his spells (which included a Vampiric Touch this time around), and once his spells are exhausted I send the rest of the group in. For some reason he kept attacking even after he surrendered (I guess because of the morale failure) so we put him out of his misery.

We are able to access the bandit camp at this point, but I decide to do some more sidequesting. Eventually we run into the random encounter with ten archer bandits in a circle. They snipe Edwin within seconds. The rest of the group clears most of the bandits, and then:

I didn't think it was possible to get a second random encounter before the first one had finished. How does that even work

This fight goes... very poorly. Without Edwin we barely have any crowd control, and I misplay it out of confusion and allow the enemy priest to get off two Hold Person casts which ultimately seals my fate. I should have used a free action potion, I should have used Command on the enemy priest and killed him first, I should probably have bought some potions and wands for just this contingency. I could have had Edwin cast invisibility before any overland travel, if I'm being extra paranoid. But I genuinely didn't know you could get this encounter during a separate bandit ambush.

RIP Benedict the Human Cavalier, dead to Molkar's assassins.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Verbeyna, the Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief has stepped inside Baldur's Gate!

I left the autoroller rolling overnight, and came back to an 18/00 Strength and a 96 point stat spread.

Here is how she currently looks after I farmed for a while and grabbed the Con and Cha tomes(Also wearing the Claw so -2 Con):

After the start I made a beeline down to Drizzt, then aggroe'd the Gnolls without getting within Drizzt's view, so he never activated.

I then went and took a nap while I waited for the gnolls to roll enough 20's to kill him, then ran in and looted his corpse for the scimitars and the +4 Mithril Chain.

Thus equipped I was able to plow through the low level enemies since between the chain and the -2 AC from Twinkle I think I was at -5 AC.

Melicamp lived for the 2k xp and I was able to run through a lot of the basic quests until I could cast level 2 spells, grabbing mirror image and invisibility from High Hedge.

I used inviz to run through the Nashkel mines without dealing with any of the encounters except for backstabbing Mulhaney, who for some reason glitched and kept spouting the dialogue about checking the chest for Tazok (Counted my blessings).

After that I ran north and farmed out Ankhegs for a bit for the gold and the good xp, as well as picking up the Wand of Fire.

Then I made my way over to the bandit camp, completely forgot about Ender Sai being friendly, though he possibly looked like a mage and backstabbed him for some sweet rep loss, which I think bought back via Ankheg sales.

I usually don't use the Claw of Kazgoroth, but decided to give it a try this run to drop my saves v spells as low as possible in case I managed to fail to scribe less spell turning (Thankfully scribed it this time, along with Haste and Blur when I hit Cloakwood, but didn't manage to scribe Slow, but alas)

After selling a massive amount of loot that I couldn't carry, Ankheg shells, etc, I bought the claw and the robe of the good Archmagi to go along with my shiny scimitars. Going to grab the rest of the tomes I can before proceeding with Chapter 5 and crossing my fingers I might make it all the way.

I am feeling a tad antsy on the Sarevok fight, but if I pick up the wand of monster summoning, or if Ray of Enfeeblement works on him (Can't remember if he is immune) then I might have a chance.

Will pick this back up when I am more awake so I don't make any stupid mistakes after making it this far.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Yikes, that's a hell of a tough break, Prometheum. I've had runs ended by the bandit firing squad before too, though I have had other enemies stumble into a waylaid encounter before when I lingered too long.

There's a LOT of game left once you get to the siege camp, at least a lot more than I expected. However, I pushed Maleficarum onward toward either death or glory.

I finally got my fighter levels back!

And not a moment too soon.

M'khiin is a lot more interesting than I expected. At least, she lets me goad these goblins into getting murdered.

Ghost Dragon is as enthusiastic about her job as many of us, I'd wager.

You're not my boss, goblin.

I'm ready to roll in and kill a group of necromancers. Thanks to Cloudkill, I learned that Kherriun is undead during this fight!

And then, since I'm on a roll, I set this lich free. My compulsive hoarding pays off, since I still have the gem from Coldheart which makes him really easy to murder.

This guy didn't much appreciate it, but I bash him into insubstantial spirit stuff too.

Hephernaan is obliterated by my overwhelming first strike, and his friends are basically kittens in comparison.

That lich I killed had a really nice robe that lets me cast Spell Sequencer 1/day. I fill it with fireballs.

I decide to fight my way out, since it's plausible I might not even have the Charisma to bluff my way through. It may not even be a Charisma check, I just wanted to kill every crusader here.

I also decide I don't like how the drow talk to Viconia, so I breach the door and gently caress them up.

After what seems like hours of going on a murder spree, I get back on the plot.

I accept Ashatiel's challenge for a duel since it's pretty much a guaranteed win for me.

Killing these people got me an achievement!

Thrix annoyingly doesn't even ask me the riddle, so I spring the attack on him.

Belhifet is barely a bump for my blisteringly buffed band.

On the way out I decide NOT to murder Corwin and her Flaming Fist escort, though I definitely could have.

And that's it! Despite saving hundreds of thousands of lives, twice, at great risk to himself, because one rich girl's soul was completely obliterated Maleficarum is on the run to Amn.

Honors: Siegebreaker, Purist, Honorable Trader, Roleplayer
Dishonors: None.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That's awesome. Congrats.

I started yet another game--another halfling helmite. But on my tablet so fewer screenshots.

Plan is to roll with dudes who are in SoD because that annoyed me greatly, and I'm hoping the iOS version works better and is less buggy.

Thus far I've hit level 3 w Khalid l, Jaheira, Dorn, Imoen, and Garrick. Melicamp died. Will swap out Imoen and Garrick for Safana and Baeloth when the opportunity arises.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I’m back from Christmas, it’s time for Heather, the half-orc Kensai to murder more people in Amn!

Heather is a strong woman.

She gets out from Chateau Irenicus without much problem. I need to get a decent group, so let’s herd some companions around.

B-but Lobster? Wasn’t Heather lawful good?

The answer is yes, but I don’t care, I’m gonna run with the full evil party and besides her alignment will get switched to evil anyway in the Hell trials due to the sweet sweet +2 STR roid injection as a reward, so I might go and have some fun. The only point in being lawful good was to be able to wield Azuredge during the first half of BG2 anyway.

Hello weapon upgrade! This bad boy will serve Heather well for a long time. Also I might have used Jan’s skills for some good ol’ financial hustlery with Roger the Fencer, I mean, being evil is good and all but being rich is better. Not that all that funding will last, my to-do list is as long as an elven hair.

While doing the quest to recruit Edwin, Rayic Gethras behaved as an rear end in a top hat as always and one shotted Korgan with a Death spell, so I had to barge in with the rest of the group to finish the job, it was a huge mess.

The worst part of playing the evil party is to juggle around all the different timed quests in the beginning.

Hexxat’s quest is tough early on, Dragomir’s fight can go south really easily if you are lightly equipped and not careful, the guy hits like a truck and casts charm person liberally.

Finally I get the gang together and we start doing big quests. Here we can see Heather blowing Mae’Var’s head, literally.

Disintegrating a lich with Azuredge.

Helping Trademeet.

I did not know that if you had Hexxat in your party, the disguised Raksashas attacked you immediately, not a dangerous thing but still a surprise. I’ll admit I’m not that familiar with her.

Korgan being brutally mean to Viconia.

Clearing De’Arnise Keep off trolls was simple enough, however Tor’Gal and his goons hit like trucks and I had to spam healing like no tomorrow.
Next I beeline the main quest, daddy needs a new improved Mace of Disruption.

The fight with Lassal is a pain in the rear end, as always, not because of him, he’s a chump, but due to all the traps lying around, Hexxat gets killed at some point.

During the final fight with Lassal, Dorn gets charmed and I had to use a hold spell on him after he resisted all my charm and domination spells. Stupid sexy Dorn.

Bodhi runs away.

Korgan being hilariously mean to Edwin. Goddamn it, I love Korgan.

That’s it for now, next time: more questing around before heading to Brynnlaw.

Heather, the half-orc Kensai has defeated Bodhi!

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Verbeyna, the Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief has shanked Sarevok and is heading to an Irenicus' Dungeon!

Fight at the end was never really in doubt considering the sheer number of potion and scrolls I had on hand. I led with a dispel magic from just out of view to soften things up, then used the wand of summon monsters to stall Sarevok.

That let me run over and spell thrust Samej's defenses off and stab him in the head. Kited Tazok while wittling him down with the wand of lightning and then re-aggroed Sarevok and kept him stalled with the monster wand, managed to land a slow on him and that was that.

Does anyone know of a good solo guide for BG2 / ToB? I am super rusty when it comes to BG2 and even though I know that F/M/T will break the difficulty curve over it's knee when I start doing 10x attacks a turn, all backstabs with Carsomyr, I would rather not die a stupid death trying to get to that point.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader, Iron Party, Roleplayer, A God Among Men

Final Stats (Pulled from the import into BG2, always find it weird there are 3 +Wisdom tomes, but I guess it sets me up well for Limited / Wish):

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The first bit of advice I have for you is you can't backstab with Carsomyr.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
You can't backstab either with the staff of the magi, however you can do it with the staff of the ram, which is excellent at that.

Also remember that as a F/M/T, unless you have removed the xp cap, so you won't be able to learn level 9 spells. Although there's a cheesy workaround for wish rest using scrolls and simulacrum/project image.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

After mercifully leaving Corwin with her life and relocating to Amn, Maleficarum is back up to his old tricks with a new look.

Importing from the SoD save file apparently lets you keep all experience you earned over the cap, so I immediately hit level 11.

It's free money, because I don't plan on picking up anyone who uses two-handers.

After seeing how effective it was when Xan made everyone sad, I use the same tactic in the Den of the Seven Vales to great effect. For once I was able to kill the assassin here, netting me a Ring of Invisibility

The circus quest is really easy even solo, and gives a tremendous amount of experience for the effort required.

Slavers are also really easy, especially with summons and the ability to make most of the guards really sad.

Probably not a great idea to pick fights with buff wizards in the street.

Imoen can wait, I need some sweet loot and this might be the sweetest of them all.

I solve the Skinner murders almost through muscle memory.

Prebek kills himself and his partner with a lightning bolt while completely missing me. Xzar could probably use a better apprentice.

Though it looks like he won't get the chance to do that.

Sorry about this, Ray Ray, but I need this sweet Shadow Thief money.

Upon learning that the jig is up, Mae'var just lies down and lets me kill him. Poor guy.

I have no earthly idea where these bonuses are coming from. Earlier it was showing me as Mentally Shielded while I had nothing which granted it.

Vhailor's Helm was also a really good investment, since I could bring in another +3 weapon for the Iron Golem.

Tor'Gal falls to my army of skeletons and me. However I have no interest in running the keep, since I'd much rather own a wizard ball.

And now I suppose I should gather a party, since other quests are a little risky to solo ironman.

So right after this Maleficarum is going to make some friends.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Isabelle, Priest of Helm is doing sidequests in Baldur's Gate.

Firstly, Simmeon. I have double web and free action, he had neither, and now Dorn has his revenge and a sword he probably won't use very much. Cool.

Next was Rasaad, which was harder than Neera and Dorn entirely due to my lack of a thief to disarm traps. Rasaad killed his brother, but at least he has a new belt to augment his strength.

To be honest, I should have listened to Viconia on this one. This is probably the most useless reward for any fetch quest in the entire city, if not the whole game. At least the gauntlets are worth a bit of gold.

Isabelle got her basilisk kill easily, thanks to Seeking Sword.

Reminds me of some of the people I work with, this.

Marek was an easy kill, also drinking an antidote is worth 10,000 XP for some reason.

Never seen this before, but for a change I handed in the Merchant's League evidence to Aldeth instead of Brandilar. It was a slaughter, dopplegangers are pathetic.

So was the Seven Suns, still I'll never turn down easy XP and gold.

Ramazith did some decent damage, but he eventually was stunned and Rasaad killed him with some darts. Could be worse.

Lots of fireballs equals 4 dead wizards.

Speaking of dead wizards. Sunin's 2 goons were stunned and killed almost immediately, and Sunin himself didn't last too much longer. Imoen now has her own Ring of Wizardry to match Neera's, since they don't stack in the Enhanced Edition.

Next time, everything up to Chapter 7.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 6, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My helm cleric had 3 straight levels up of 3 HP and I ran him into a basilisk in protest. Nobody wants a 40 HP level 7 cleric :mad:

Getting my first 2 characters killed has really sucked the life out of this for me. They were both great.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Varisa Stabberton returns in her strange, 3D run through Baldur's Gate Reloaded, so let's take a look at what we get with this level-up that we ended the last update with:

For the general feat we get at this level, I went with Mobility, which I really only care about as a prerequisite. The real beauty here is Insightful Strike — when dual-wielding, your off-hand weapon only adds half your Str bonus (rounded down, so in this case 0) to its damage bonus, but IS applies your full Int bonus. This is also the last level of Swashbuckler I'll be taking.

I discovered entirely by accident that BGR does in fact have a "get as much money as you want" glitch. If the PC is holding winter wolf pelts but you talk to the Nashkel storekeep with someone else, he'll give you the gold but not take the pelts from you, so you can just do this over and over for more money. I'll be exploiting this later once I've had a chance to rest and get ambushed by them a bunch in the southern waterfall area.

In the meantime, it's time to take on Mulahey, who takes down Garrick.

Garrick gets a quick heal and then I give him the boot to pick up Xan.

Nimbul gets some good rolls in (and we get some awful ones) and he manages to take down two of the party, including Varisa, but thanks to how death works in the NWN2 engine, there's enough time for Jaheira to bring both back up to positive HP before game over.

In the process of collecting a shitload (well, about 20 before I got bored) of winter wolf pelts, the party gets another level-up. This time Varisa starts taking levels of Fighter, giving us a bunch of proficiencies I don't care about, plus Spring Attack, which is both useful and a prerequisite for things yet to come.

There. That should be enough money for now. I go ahead and sell off the last batch for realsies so I don't have to carry them around with me.

After heading to Beregost and High Hedge to stock up on all the things, the party takes out Tranzig with minimal issue.

First stat tome acquired.

Bit more exploration and we bring Brage home, which gives us another level up.

This'll be useful. It's basically the equivalent of having a small shield equipped while dual-wielding.

Now that I've given Jaheira the right skill and feat allocation through the levels, this'll unlock something when we hit the next level-up.

Imoen serves as our sacrificial lamb against Shoal.

And then sneaks through the coast cave on her own to pick up the next stat tome. We're not engaging the golems in there yet, and possibly not ever depending on whether or not we hit the XP cap of 55000 — they're clay golems now instead of flesh, as are Thalantir's golems.

Ulcaster is very nearly a campaign-ender thanks to those two mustard jellies, who together manage to bring Varisa to within a few HP of death even with constant healing.

Mutamin and his basilisks get us our next level-up.

At this point, thanks to that thing I did earlier, Jaheira can now take the Harper Agent prestige class, which has slightly fewer HP (d6 vs d8), but more skill points, better saves, and continues to advance her spellcasting abilities.

I do a thing with Xan as well.

For those keeping score, that's now two attacks with each weapon, for a total of four attacks per round. This is also the last level of fighter Varisa'll be taking until BG2 Reloaded is released.

And, after a bit more exploration, Varisa clears out the bandit camp with no trouble.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Maleficarum assembles his crew and moves out to further adventures.

They're getting along very well already.

Korgan starts grumbling as soon as I get back to Athkatla, so I go and do his quest. He also grumbles about Valygar at the same time, so I prioritize that.

I follow up the heroic murder of a mostly innocent man by heroically buying a group of teenagers some weapons and booze.

Terrible tidings ahead, friend.

Luckily I have a Hakeashar ready to go, and by the time it expires the lich is down to level 3 spells. During the fight I manage to bait out the Greater Mummies and Skeleton Warriors acting as support for him, and I go ahead and beat him down without opposition.

Whew, good thing I got through that! Now it should be clear sailing to the Shade Lord.

Oh.

I'm able to bait out his Death Spell, then make him waste Time Stop and Symbols on a single Skeleton Warrior. That single Skeleton Warrior manages to go the distance and beat the lich to death by itself.

After running through two liches and some greater mummies, the Shade Lord is a pushover.

The Shadow Dragon is also not a great challenge, thanks to distributing my summons and a Simulacrum.

Once the Hills have their eyes plucked out, I go to knock out the Wizard Ball and get my house. It starts out reminding me that the Bhaalspawn is a little overleveled.

Lavok is taken down by a single Skeleton Warrior, and Tolgerias doesn't fare much better.

I made a severe miscalculation here. I thought I had Simulacrum ready to go, but it turns out I hadn't rested and the only defense I had was Ghost Armor.

Fortunately, thanks to Shadow Door and some timely heals on Korgan, I manage to survive the fight. Sucks about Korgan though, and my Iron Party honor. Still, if I'd taken one more hit, I would've died!

ANOTHER one. But I'm in much better shape for this one.

Now that I can cast Simulacrum natively, I'm well on my way to having an army of myself. Unfortunately, simulacrums of simulacrums apparently don't get gear - at least, this one doesn't get the benefit of the Robe of Vecna. It still lets me summon forth an endless wave of skeletons, though.

Yes, Neera, watching a centuries-old necromancer die on the ground is the perfect time for this talk.

Anyway, here's my status right now.

The only major quests I've done so far are Umar Hills, de'Arnise Keep, and Wizard Ball. Does anyone have suggestions for what Maleficarum should do next? Otherwise I'll roll into Unseeing Eye so I can get the Gauntlets of Dexterity for Korgan.

Note: I just now realized that instead of dropping 20k on the Staff of Rhynn for a +4 weapon I could have done the Twisted Rune fight and gotten the Staff of the Magi. Guess Neera's going to get a +4 staff soon!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Isabelle, Priest of Helm has thwarted Sarevok's plotting.

Fighting in the corner and using slow was enough to deal with Degrodel's group of guardians. I expected this to be a little tougher, to be honest.

Imoen reached level 7 around this point, so she also recieved her own minor sequencer innate. Now I have 2 web sequencers. :getin: Gretek's maulers proved to be a mere speedbump, although I did manage to interrupt Wilf's pre-buff here. It just kept on starting over and over, at least once a second, constantly stacking armour of faith on top of itself. He was quite literally invincible for a short period, but couldn't actually do anything. A curious little bug, this, but easily avoided by simply not doing pre-emptive strikes.

Oh wow, an obvious ambush. Neera cast spell thrust, then he was stunned. Next.

Degrodel was killed immediately with flamestrikes and magic missiles, and his summons were no match for the party.

There's a neat little bit of foreshadowing for what SCS does (It simply adds two invisible thieves) to the fight at the top of the Iron Throne here. The fight itself was simple, 4 webs and lots of fire, then simply mopping up what was left while my own free action buffs were active. Naaman here, being the only enemy immune to web thanks to his own ring of free action, was the last to die. Straightforward, really.

That was it for chapter 5, so the party heads straight to Candlekeep.

Where they were promptly ambushed by 5 ogre-magi. Luckily, I was able to stun 2 of them immediately, and nuke one down soon after with a pair of flamestrikes. With only 2 left capable of casting, it was far less dangerous, and they died after a short fight.

After looting the entire castle and the catacombs, Isabelle and friends met Prat. I have 4 webs and free action, he didn't. Easy.

This whole chapter took about an hour, it really is that short.

SCS changes Cythandria's ogres into stone golems, and she becomes an Invoker roughly equivalent to Davaeorn. Isabelle killed both golems with ease with seeking sword, and Cythandria died shortly after, although she actually did some damage.

Around this time, Imoen finally got her thief levels back.

Eltan was rescued. It's nice to have an Imoen that can actually hit things from range with some regularity again.

Slythe and Krystin were thrashed with absurd ease. True sight hard counters Slythe, and once Krystin was hit with a spell thrust, she was basically defenceless.

A similar result for the ambush at the Ducal Palace, despite SCS giving the dopplegangers some spellcasters and an assassin. The biggest change though, is that Liia Jannath actually casts defensive spells and fights back now. Finally, I've been waiting years for this, her past refusal to do anything was the main reason it was so hard to get past this fight.

Next time, everything in TotSC up to Durlag's basement.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 10, 2020

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Since my last post, Maleficarum has been incredibly busy. Since I have almost 200 screenshots to go through I'm going to try and pick the absolute top highlights.

Rather a few more beholders here than I remember.

Just a lich, casually hanging out with his greater mummy buddies in Ghoultown.

At least they can't see through Invisibility.

Dual Daystars means that I never have to actually fight a lich again.

Make me.

I guess I am a hero of some sort.

Could do without this random encounter.

I'm really glad for Daystar, and that my Simulacrum can use it.

They have no idea what they walked into.

Here's how I look under Tenser's Transformation.

Firkraag gets iced pretty hard, and I get bumped up to high-level abilities.

Not a huge fan of Dorn's quest.

Naturally, I picked the goth version of Planetar to make the rest of the game a cakewalk.

Korgan cuts to the meat of Neera's quest.

Dorn's patron is a Cornugon? Can I start handing out infernal contracts now too?

Spell Immunity: Abjuration definitely works for Kangaxx.

Yes, this is for sure the group I'd try to mug. The multiple glowing staves and angry dwarf with two axes must've been a hard give-away.

In a way, he was right.

Another lich, just vibing in Spellhold's basement.

I forget how I solved this, but I think I just let my Planetar deal with him.

Fun fact about these beholders: not a single one can hurt me!

None of these drow stood a chance.

Good enough for me!

Fun fact: Beamdog realized it was annoying as poo poo to have a party member taken from your party taken with nothing you could do about it! However it also makes Bodhi bug out and not teleport away, or maybe that was just for my game.

Awful lot of vampires.

Neera gets to the heart of what I'm about.

I did some magic to me spells and now I'm a machine gun. I'm a machine gun, Morty.

Irenicus really had no chance, especially now that my Simulacrum can cast Improved Alacrity.

And here's how I look right at the start of Throne of Bhaal.

So now, Maleficarum has reclaimed his divine soul. Now I've got to finish the big push through to the end and Watcher's Keep.

Honors: Ironman, Purist, Honorable Trader, Dragon Slayer, Gaxkang's a Wuss, Legendary Arms, Roleplayer, Leader of the Underdogs.
Dishonors: None

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Okay, didn't get to play for a month because being an adult sucks and finding two or three hours to play a videogame was nigh impossible, but I am back to die repeatedly in Baldur's Gate since I remember very little past Nashkel and everything before that is half-remembered and vague.

And I'm off to a great start because Sirena, Gnome Barbarian, fell to the Belt Ogre. I went into the fight thinking hey, how much damage do ogres do again? And apparently the answer is exactly my PC's health at the same time an arrow from Imoen drops it. Super. Should've screened with Khalid instead of my PC, or maybe kited it, but at least I took it down with me!

So now we meet Ellie, the elven mage/thief.

An uneventful start, all the way through to the Friendly Arm. Killed Tarnesh, got Joia's flamedance ring, etc. But then to belt ogre or not to belt ogre?

Turns out that being a mage with sleep makes the ogre a tad simpler:

So one belt ogre slain, one wilderness area fully explored, and Ellie has arrived in Beregost, ready to die to some spiders in a house or maybe an angry street mage.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Being trapped in Saradush doesn't really appeal to Maleficarum and he does his very best to get out as quickly as he can.

The Trial of Retribution is easily solved by using the Guard command with Korgan and Dorn.

Even in the middle of dodging catapult projectiles, Jan finds time to give a long-winded story that results in a pun.

My tried and true tactic of "Simulacrum the PC and Neera, then cast Horrid Wilting" works to obliterate Gromnir.

As someone who's LAWFUL evil, I will never make a deal with these CHAOTIC evil demons.

As for these LAWFUL evil devils, I fulfilled my deal with them and felt they had more than the gem.

I could have just walked back out through the north portal, but where's the fun in that?

Aesgareth learns the true hazards of a gambling addiction, and double-crossing a group much more powerful than you.

makin' SALADS

Machine gunning Lower Resistance, Breach, and then a ton of spells solves Demogorgon pretty well. (Side note: the Chromatic Demon is still a demon, so if you use Bolt of Glory you can completely avoid the elements mechanic.)

Neera's quest is solved really easily, the hardest part of it was the initial fight.

No matter what sort of evil bastard I play in the future, I will never take Dorn again. Two loving silver dragons at once is just too much bullshit. Should've gone with Sarevok like I originally planned. At least the Planar Ejection Seat kept this from being a PC death.

Spoiler: I killed Yaga Shura very easily, with multiple Horrid Wiltings at once.

Spoiler: I could.

Two tests down, three to go, and Maleficarum is on his way to godhood.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ooo, 2 dragons at once huh? Nice to see something vaguely challenging in non-SCS BG2 for once. Should be fairly straightforward for Maleficarum now, hope you make it.

Anyway, an update for Isabelle, Priest of Helm

First, the Ice Island. Andris is the only real threat here, and even he's not much more than a slightly worse Davaeorn once his backup is dead.

As enjoyable as playing with a party has been, this has been a bit too easy to be honest. Maybe I should try a solo with Isabelle, I've never done a solo with a pure Cleric, or even do a Legacy of Bhaal run next year.

Imoen has stoneskin now. Moving on.

Karoug and the mage were both stunned. Dorn had to dual-wield while hasted to get through Karoug's absurd regeneration. As an aside, you can dual-wield with Seeking Sword, and haste works with it too. I wish I'd found that out sooner than this fight, but its good to know for future reference.

Same story for Selaad and Baresh. Twice for the latter case, he still does that turn in to 2 werewolves trick. Still much more preferable to the old Baresh bug, mind you.

Onto Durlag's, Ike was fried as usual and I took to exploring the top floors. Isabelle got the 8th tome here, not much else above ground really.

:lol:

Rasaad got dire charmed, thats about all Kirinhale could do. Oh well, on to the basement.

Next up is everything else in BG1.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ellie the elven mage/thief has swept through Beregost and is prepared to head south towards Nashkel.

Ran into some Thay Wizards and they ended Xzar, but we got Neera, so I'm considering it an upgrade since she has more spells than minor drain.

Pictured: two annoying wizards, dead.

I took her adventurer's robe and gem bag, and I'll have to decide if I'm going to ditch her for Branwen or maybe Dynaheir if I decide to do the canon party. But for now she can tag along with her 4 HP until a bandit gets a lucky shot.

Also cut down an angry drunk at Feldepost's, ended Silke's acting career, and fought off a would-be assassin at the Red Sheaf.

I, tactical genius that I am, got bless off just in time for Karlat to already be dead.

I also killed some spiders using, you guessed it, sleep, which is the party MVP.

But regardless of how it happened Beregost is clear and Ellie is preparing to head south into the greater unknown.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Attempt #3!

As before this will be on SCS Tactical. I've never played a backstab main before so let's give it a try with Camilla the Elf Stalker:

(This is seriously the highest total I've ever rolled by 6 points.)

The opening sequence goes smoothly with no difficult ambushes along the road from Candlekeep to FAI (pick up Khalid and Jaheira) to Beregost to Nashkel. I take the usual detour to rescue Dynaheir, then swap her and Minsc out for Edwin and Branwen and set off to explore the countryside. Ideally I'd like to have everyone up to level 5 before we finish the Nashkel mines after what happened last time with the assassin ambushes.

Among our adventures we save Melicamp (first time out of three!). We also hear of a place called the Firewine Ruins and eventually find an entrance beneath Gullykin. There's a rather tricky group at the end with two mages, but Edwin is able to use invisibility to line up a few good shots with a Wand of Lightning to solve the situation. (not pictured: Edwin hitting himself with a rebound on the final shot)

With most of the easy quests done, the party is almost all up to level 5, with only Jaheira and Edwin lagging slightly. I decide it's good enough and go ahead to confront Mulahey in the mines, who's rather a pushover at this point. Evidence leads us to Tranzig in Beregost. Branwen takes him on personally and promptly declares that the time for words is over. (Interestingly the mutual silence doesn't prevent Tranzig from begging for mercy, but does stop Branwen from responding.)

The next lead takes us to the bandit camp. Along the way we encounter the bounty hunter ambushes, but I've learned my lesson this time and avoid the main road so we get them alone in wilderness areas, where they are taken down without too much difficulty. We then grab a couple of potions of explosion from High Hedge and talk our way into the camp (where we meet Tazok briefly) and to the main tent. An initial salvo of Web and explosive potions takes out the majority of the bandit leaders, though Edwin gets sniped by poison arrows for his efforts and goes down on the second round (note to self: buy Mirror Image before this fight). After the battle we're forced to make a dash out of the camp when Taurgosz spots us. After a rest and raise we return and fight him properly for a nice set of Full Plate, then have our pick of the camp's loot.

After that it's on to the Cloakwood. The Centeol fight is very sketchy with buffed giant spiders -- I burn a Potion of Freedom on Khalid to hold one flank, but decide not to use one for Jaheira since there are fewer enemies on her side, and it's almost costly as she goes down to single digit health from web and poison.

Past the spider nest we find ourselves in a spirited discussion with the Shadow Druids. Branwen uses the same silent treatment as she did with Tranzig and it works on the first try:

At last we reach the Cloakwood Mines -- but first we need to get past Drasus. We retreat across the bridge and trap it with webs. Drasus is the only one to make it through, but he's quite scary in melee even by himself. We manage to take him down after a tough fight then mop up the others with fireballs and missiles.

Descent through the mines isn't too bad except that I manage to pull Hareishan early on the second level when she hears us fighting the guard in the previous room. Her escort chases us up to the first level but get clumped up at the exit, letting us clear them with a web/fireball combo. At the bottom of the mines we confront Davaeorn. I send Edwin in first with a potion of magic blocking (immune to 5th-level and below), though I didn't realize the potion also dispels invisibility so he gets spotted slightly sooner than I'd like. Davaeorn leads off with a Web + Stinking Cloud sequencer which blocks the corridor due to my poor positioning so Edwin has to take him on alone for a while as he teleports around. The rest of the party mops up the Battle Horrors and Blacktalon reinforcements at the entrance. It takes several reinforcement cycles but finally the web disperses and I'm able to send a summoned skeleton through to join the fight on Davaeorn. It's very briefly sketchy when Davaeorn teleports to the entrance but fortunately he doesn't cast anything debilitating before teleporting away again. While the rest of the party deals with more reinforcements, Camilla downs another magic blocking and goes in for the backstab. The first backstab hits stoneskin and I burn an extra magic resist potion for safety when Davaeorn dispels, but the second one lands and Edwin finishes him off with magic missiles.

And with that Camilla has reached the City of Baldur's Gate. Next up: easy city quests and then some grinding to make dual-class Imoen useful again.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly, maybe i should install SCS to throw myself for a loop. As it is though, two dragons at once is some poo poo.

Anyway, back to Maleficarum's path to godhood.

If you count Simulacrum as the same character who spawned it, I solo'd this entire encounter.

Boom. And thus starts my least favorite of the Bhaalspawn dungeons/fights

I probably could've just whacked them with the staff instead of going full Slayer for this, but at least Tim Goldenhand is more polite now. Also, he can cast Magic Missile.

I hate Abazigal SO loving much. Korgan is dead here, because he failed a single save. You might say "Cast Resist lightning on him," but no. I will never do that.

Jan gettin' mad rutty in Sendai's lair.

Korgan dies here (again), but a Simulacrum of the PC is able to solo the Earth Elemental prince.

By this point, Korgan has about 12 Death Blow HLAs saved up, so working with Jan he has 8 max damage attacks every round for 12 rounds. Sendai lasts about 10.

If I had been fully rested I would've murdered this fucker.

I think these statues are pretty cool, and that I get to just spend some time straight vibin' with a god.

Literally zero screenshots of my fight with Balthazar because it was over so fast. I maxed out my PC's XP during Abazigal's dungeon, and the rest of the party is over 7 million XP.

Kind of want to import him to the Black Pits II and see how far he can get solo.

By using Simulacrums, I have 24 Spike Traps on Jan and an absurd amount of spells on my other casters. Melissan is as good as dead.

Finally, I can claim my place as the lord of murder! Just a bit of dialogue and... god dammit Neera.

Maleficarum has given up his divine essence to stay with his half-elf waifu.

Honors: Irongod, Purist, Honorable Trader, Helm's Champion, Roleplayer, Leader of the Underdogs.
Dishonors: None

But wait, there's more! In the throes of insomnia last night I got the idea to run an all Cleric party, no ranged weapons, Born Hero run starting in BG1. So I'll be doing that for 1-2 hours a day (hard time limit so I don't do 7-9 hours like I have been) soon-ish until I lose interest or die, either IRL or in-game. Until then, this run is finished.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice.
Although I'm not sure what to make of the idea of abandoning godhood for, well, Neera.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Congrats dude, that's awesome.

I'm playing a barbarian who got an absolutely ridiculous roll, but I'm not gonna bother with updates until I hit something of note, like say, "Sarevok is defeated."

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Congrats on your finish! You just tore through that. Assuming my current run goes well I'll manage to finish in maybe six months.

Some questions for the thread: does anyone have a handy link listing out the companion timers? I'm trying to look up as little as possible for my runs but I don't want to miss out on rescuing Dynaheir with Minsc or whatever because I rested one too many times on the path towards her and I'm having trouble finding a clear listing of how long you have to do the things companions want you to do. I remember that most of them are fairly generous but I know some of them are quite tight.

And any advice on what level is best to dual Imoen? I've seen both level 4 and 6 thrown around.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Congrats on your finish! You just tore through that. Assuming my current run goes well I'll manage to finish in maybe six months.

Some questions for the thread: does anyone have a handy link listing out the companion timers? I'm trying to look up as little as possible for my runs but I don't want to miss out on rescuing Dynaheir with Minsc or whatever because I rested one too many times on the path towards her and I'm having trouble finding a clear listing of how long you have to do the things companions want you to do. I remember that most of them are fairly generous but I know some of them are quite tight.

And any advice on what level is best to dual Imoen? I've seen both level 4 and 6 thrown around.

Off the top of my head...
Minsc and Edwin each give 2 weeks, with "talking to Dynaheir" OR "Dynaheir in your party" as resolution. Minsc will attack you at 14 days; Edwin just fucks off.

Kagain gives you 1 week before he starts complaining, and then another week before he leaves. Depending on what version of BG you're playing you either need to just enter the area right below the Friendly Arm Inn, OR go to the wrecked caravan (approach it from the east) to get Kagain to recognize his quest is over.

Kivan gives you a variable amount of days based on when you recruit him (basically it's the game trying to build in some time since you can't do the bandit camp before you've done the Nashkel Mines). I think his quest is auto-resolved if you get him after you've cleared the bandit camp. I *think* getting the scroll that triggers the "go to the cloakwood" chapter is what ends his quest but I admit I'm not sure. He definitely doesn't need to face Tazok or anything like that, though.

No idea on Coran or Eldoth; sorry.

I'm sure Monty/Xzar and Khalid/Jaheira have timers also that are resolved by talking to the mayor of Nashkel, but you'd have to be trying REALLY hard not to do that.

Dual Imoen at 6. With a potion of perception she'll still have 100 in locks/traps so she can do Durlag's, and you won't spend most of the 2nd half of the game needing to carry another thief because she's still waiting to get her skills back. Technically the "optimal" time is at level 7 to maximize HP and skills, but whatever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Amazing that Korgan keeps dying; bugger has more HP than I've ever seen in the BG games without using TT.

Now that I think of it, I've never seen Dorn nor Vicona get that high either as both have rubbish CON.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Korgan doesn't have damage mitigation until HLA's. Every hit that goes through AC does full damage to his HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unfortunately AC becomes essentially meaningless late in the saga. All the real enemies have such incredible THAC0s that they'll hit you no matter how much you invest in getting your AC down. Everything else just dies to a single Horrid Wilting so they don't get to attack anyway.