Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Welcome to USPol General, Winter of 2020 edition. This is the thread for discussing the US news and politics in general. GreyjoyBastard is the thread IK.

Thread rules:
All standard D&D rules apply. In addition,
---The Democratic Presidential Primaries are a major and important topic, and as such have their own thread. There is a lot of overlap in topics, and discussion about policy and the merits and flaws thereof is allowed and encouraged in this thread. Please keep polls, analysis of polls, 'horserace' punditry, and campaigning for your favorite candidate in the primary thread.

---Arguments about electorialism, voting strategically, lesser of two evils, vote blue no matter who, and all similar arguments should happen in this thread. You may defend or criticize politicians, but refrain from insisting that not voting for/voting for bad politicians is strategically superior. These arguments have been done to death and because they rely so heavily on counterfactuals, they never really tread new ground.

---Posting about gun control was long relegated to it's own thread because of the toxicity surrounding the issue. Posting about guns and gun control is now allowed in this thread, but make a special effort to post well; poor gun posting carries heavier penalties than normal. In particular don't call other goons violent psychopaths because they own guns, and don't call other goons cowardly victims-to-be because they don't own guns. There is also a dedicated gun control thread.

---Try to stay on topic. Goons love to post about food and video games in every thread, but unless it's related to US politics, try to keep it to a minimum. This thread also sometimes has lengthy discussions of minutiae that is tangentially related to US politics, like obesity and food policy or vaping health risks and regulations. These are allowed and, if you have any particular expertise, effortposts on these topics are encouraged.

---Don't post lovely political opinions from random unimportant people without commentary. That sort of thing belongs in the Right Wing Media thread or Conservative Email Forwards/Facebook Posts thread.

---Do not challenge other users to toxx. If you do so, you will automatically be toxxed to the opposite outcome, regardless of if the challenge is accepted.

---Reminder that if you do not wish to read a particular poster's posts anymore, you can always use the ignore function.

Other USPol Related Threads
---Impeachment Hearing Thread
---GOONPAC Activism Thread
---The State/Local Politics Thread
---The SCOTUS Thread
---Political Cartoons

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
First post. ACAB.

EDIT

Congrats to twice burned ice for the thread title.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pkay said in the last thread that people can still shoot well with 12lb triggers. Well, just because cops fire off rounds constantly with 12lb triggers doesn't mean their accuracy is improving.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
excellent thread title

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Thread title has me in the festive spirits

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Very good thread title!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Hey so Trump is a bad president, just letting you know.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tromp

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I had a post written up about the tragic UPS truck shooting where cops fired 103 rounds and killed the armed robbers, the hostage, and an innocent bystander. I'll just make this short - gently caress those cops, hope they get taken to court. No one deserves to be killed by inaccurate bullets from police with raging boners to fire their handgun, let alone because a truck of STUFF was stolen. It's just loving STUFF.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/UPS/status/1202778926155751426

Doesn't mention the employees name...but knows they would have gotten complaints if they didn't thank the brave coptroops

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
State of america: Cops bad, cop dogs situationally OK but need rescue doggo from popo, Trump bad, all Republicans know how to do is lie, cheat, steal, charge they phone, go to jail and eat hot chip.

Nonsense posted:

Doesn't mention the employees name...but knows they would have gotten complaints if they didn't thank the brave coptroops

Literally "we appreciate law enforcement murering our employee"

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

I doubt they know it. Most they have is "Employee A25F2T67R4" I bet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's prime crime time and I gotta let it snow

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1202981139155210241?s=21

Gotta deadline tonight Donnie. Gonna keep pissing it away on twitter or actually do something productive?

yeah I know the answer already

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hey so Trump is a bad president, just letting you know.

If this is true, it changes everything

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1203002830329712641

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/1203005108402958336

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can someone explain why the extrajudicial killing of rapists in India was relevant to be posted in the last Uspol thread? Was someone actually trying to say "sometimes cops killing people is good, actually?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrNutt posted:

Can someone explain why the extrajudicial killing of rapists in India was relevant to be posted in the last Uspol thread? Was someone actually trying to say "sometimes cops killing people is good, actually?"

It was a joke but you can whine about it if you like.

https://twitter.com/geneviemerino/status/1202823454178848768

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jesus Christ these writers are lazy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nonsense posted:

They may have wanted to wait for family notification, since this was yesterday evening.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

If this is true, it changes everything

BOOM!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

“Saudi Aviation Student”

I am seeing articles saying they were Saudi military training at that base, which feels like it should be several orders of magnitude worse.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/pensacola-naval-base-shooter/index.html

quote:

A member of the Saudi military training at US Naval Air Station in Pensacola is the suspected shooter in today's incident, according to five US defense officials and another person familiar with the investigation.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Good job FoS.

gently caress the police.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

empty whippet box posted:

Literally "we appreciate law enforcement murering our employee"

The robbers murdered him the moment they took him hostage. It's like the Chechen terrorists who took hostages in Mariinski Theater or at Beslan school.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
2016: Denial
2017: Anger
2018: Bargaining
2019: Despair
2020: Acceptance??? Or maybe just more despair.

Fun times!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nonsense posted:

Worse than saying nothing about it. My goodness this sucks rear end

Nenonen posted:

The robbers murdered him the moment they took him hostage. It's like the Chechen terrorists who took hostages in Mariinski Theater or at Beslan school.

Either this is sarcasm or your brain is off the charts bad

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Slowpoke! posted:

“Saudi Aviation Student”

I am seeing articles saying they were Saudi military training at that base, which feels like it should be several orders of magnitude worse.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/pensacola-naval-base-shooter/index.html

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1203011242060845059?s=19

Welp, guess we know the right's narrative

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Tatsuta Age posted:

Worse than saying nothing about it. My goodness this sucks rear end
It's from before they likely knew anything at all about what happened and that the cops are who shot him.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The right loves Saudi Arabia though so the narrative will be the same as white people who do a terrorism whoopsie: "lone wolf"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nonsense posted:

I can’t say too much because of work but this is some loving bullshit. I’m so mad.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Re: being able to see your neighbor's voter registration details, North Carolina allows anyone to look up registration details including home address of anyone registered in NC with only a good guess at their first and last name.

On a whim I looked at all of the administrators of my [former] nursing school, who uniformly register republican. I now know where they all live, too! Creepy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hello United States politics.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Look forward to us invading a random country that isn't Saudi Arabia to stop these Saudi terrorists.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pick posted:

Hello United States politics.

Hello friend

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

2016: Denial
2017: Anger
2018: Bargaining
2019: Despair
2020: Acceptance??? Or maybe just more despair.

Fun times!
I imagine it’d be similar to Dubya, a nightmare scenario where he gets the popular vote the second time to our absolute horror.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

It's from before they likely knew anything at all about what happened and that the cops are who shot him.

There was live video of the shooting. It was extremely obvious that the police officers were acting with reckless disregard for the safety of civilians.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Pants Donkey posted:

I imagine it’d be similar to Dubya, a nightmare scenario where he gets the popular vote the second time to our absolute horror.

I won't :toxx: for much, but I'll :toxx: that he doesn't win the popular vote.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tatsuta Age posted:

Either this is sarcasm or your brain is off the charts bad

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lightning Knight posted:

I can’t say too much because of work but this is some loving bullshit. I’m so mad.
Yeah UPS high corporate is jam packed with psychopaths, this is not surprising in the least. I would love to vent in all the myriad ways they suck so badly, this is just another poo poo on the pile.