Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

it shouldn't bother me given all the terrible things trump says and does, but why would you choose one of the writers well known for being a soldier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I thought OANN lost their press pass

She's there as Trump's guest. I wish I was joking.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

They kept showing up and claimed they were a guest of the WH spokesperson

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jaxyon posted:

Oh cool what's the recourse to stop him hopefully it doesn't involve a party vote in congress, let me know

the supreme court, so you know, we're hosed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i like that trump doesnt give a gently caress about modly even though that dipshit basically stuck his tongue up trumps rear end and destroyed his career to do something trump blurted in a moment of rage.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Seems they've become a personally invited guest of Trump the press sec.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LtStorm posted:

He shouldn't have been Ernest Hemingway. He shouldn't have been writing letters, he's captain of a ship.

Trump wants it to be abundantly clear he had nothing to do with that captain being removed from the ship or Modly resigning.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt of all ships!

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...mbshell-letter/

quote:

As the Spanish-American War drew to a close in the summer of 1898, the Santiago de Cuba-based men of the U.S. Army Fifth Corps — Colonel Theodore Roosevelt and his famed Rough Riders among them — encountered one of their toughest challenges yet: Malaria and yellow fever.

In all, nearly 4,000 of the 4,270 men in Fifth Corps would contract severe illnesses. Many were on the verge of death.

“The soldier who storms the heights and wins them is a hero in the world’s eyes,” war correspondent Kit Coleman wrote from the troop transport ship SS Comal, a vessel tasked with ushering the ill soldiers to Florida. “Uncle Sam’s boys did that; but far more to the credit of the American soldier is the uncomplaining way in which he bore that which was inflicted by the blundering of his own people.”

Rife with disease, “the eight divisional commanders, including Roosevelt, were convinced that if they remained in Cuba, Fifth Corps would be wiped out,” Carroll writes.

The dire situation prompted senior officers to meet with Maj. Gen. William R. Shafter, commander of the Fifth Corps, to recommend that troops be withdrawn from Cuba posthaste. That result of that meeting — whether Shafter agreed or not — remains unknown.

Regardless of the outcome, the commanders were compelled to put their request into writing –– a task that fell to Roosevelt because, as the only non-general among the senior officer group, had less to lose career-wise. The eventual U.S. president drafted what is now known as the infamous Round-Robin Letter:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...mbshell-letter/

TBF that letter was why Roosevelt wasn't granted the Medal of Honor until decades after his death

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

their take on congress is half the reason AOC has any power; in a less poisoned era "some ancient crony gets knocked off" is a story that ends two weeks later, and then she gets quietly redistricted into oblivion. but AOC is straight out of one of the hornier Sorkin scripts, and so she has become congress in a lot of their heads.

I can't remember which podcast I heard this on, but if AOC was really a Sorkin character she'd fall down stairs in the Capitol a lot.

Medullah posted:

Holy gently caress this rear end in a top hat is saying that the DEMOCRAT Wisconsin governor failed because there were lines for voting.

He's not wrong. If Evers wasn't such a coward he could have prevented there being any lines for voting at all by using his authority to cancel voting like the Ohio governor did. Republicans are going to be feckless but it's such an intensely Dem response to throw up your hands and say 'well, I bet they'll sure be punished next election this time' instead of actually doing anything about it when you have the power to do so.

e: Or, to put it another way, I hope the voters and poll workers who die remember to thank the Governor for adhering to decorum.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1247655639859552257?s=20
The President!

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

RPZip posted:

He's not wrong. If Evers wasn't such a coward he could have prevented there being any lines for voting at all by using his authority to cancel voting like the Ohio governor did. Republicans are going to be feckless but it's such an intensely Dem response to throw up your hands and say 'well, I bet they'll sure be punished next election this time' instead of actually doing anything about it when you have the power to do so.

He does not, in fact, have the power to do so. As was orchestrated by the republican legislature after Evers' victory and reaffirmed by the US supreme court yesterday.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

enahs posted:

He does not, in fact, have the power to do so. As was orchestrated by the republican legislature after Evers' victory and reaffirmed by the US supreme court yesterday.

You say gently caress it and do it anyway and dare them to stop you dude. You push that loving line as hard as you can when thousands of peoples of lives are at stake.

This would be horrible to say in a functional government but we are way past that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

You almost come away better off by stabbing yourself repeatedly in the stomach than you do from watching this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RPZip posted:

e: Or, to put it another way, I hope the voters and poll workers who die remember to thank the Governor for adhering to decorum.

I heard on NPR today that due to the Wisconsin Constitution, the Governor doesn't have that kind of power. In order for them to actually do it, it would require it to be passed by the legislation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BrendanLoper/status/1247543420157153280

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Telsa Cola posted:

You say gently caress it and do it anyway and dare them to stop you dude. You push that loving line as hard as you can when thousands of peoples of lives are at stake.

This would be horrible to say in a functional government but we are way past that.

So, what does stopping an election entail? Like, what are the actual steps Evers should have taken, in your mind?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

He was doing this yesterday too where he would only take your question if you could answer his riddle.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

all cops are bad

Paracaidas posted:

So, what does stopping an election entail? Like, what are the actual steps Evers should have taken, in your mind?

yeah, it isn't Evers' fault. He did all he could. He probably could be louder about how dangerous and bad having the election is.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I guess I don't get how being a power-tripping rear end in a top hat feels good. I couldn't imagine just being a dick like that.

My sister got genuinely mad about two young children riding their bikes on the sidewalk in her neighborhood. She thought a 4-year old out for a little ride should be in the street. It's like a totally different brain.

Paracaidas posted:

Out of curiosity, since I really don't know, but does anyone know if he could have pulled DeWine's threat where the polls were open but the physical buildings were closed. Or was that an Ohio specific "I'm not touching you" stalling tactic.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 7, 2020

Zinkovich
May 2, 2009
So, my girlfriend has been waiting three weeks to receive her unemployment over here in FL. Things here are a mess. DeSantis and FL Republicans have really, truly hosed up.

Literally none of her/my unemployed friends or relations have been able to get through to fully submitting a claim on the website. We were close at one point, but it through up some weird yellow runtime error near the end.

They have the option for paper applications, but

A.)You can't get through on the phone to request it without being on hold in excess of 12 hours(longest we've tried is around 11)

B.)Picking up paper applications at the unemployment office is a huge risk for infection so we're not going to go and risk it. She doesn't have healthcare right now.

Also, this article really explains it all.

My favorite snippet is this:

Dumbfuckery of a Massive Scale posted:

The system was supposed to have a backup in case it failed, but officials recently learned that the backup had its own critical failure: it wasn’t hooked up to the system.

“It turns out that backup was never actually connected to the system,” DeSantis said Monday. It was connected Sunday night.

I'm feeling a general sense that people here are ready to riot if DeSantis doesn't get his poo poo together, and honestly lighting that torch is pretty tempting right now for us at the moment after trying for hours on the daily just to *submit* a claim.

Zinkovich fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 7, 2020

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Medullah posted:

I heard on NPR today that due to the Wisconsin Constitution, the Governor doesn't have that kind of power. In order for them to actually do it, it would require it to be passed by the legislation.

Paracaidas posted:

Pretty sure the Governor has control over the State Troopers and could direct them to shutter all polling places. If he doesn't even have the authority to give directives to state-level law enforcement I'll withdraw my complaint about him being a coward, though.

e:

quote:

Out of curiosity, since I really don't know, but does anyone know if he could have pulled DeWine's threat where the polls were open but the physical buildings were closed. Or was that an Ohio specific "I'm not touching you" stalling tactic.

This is what I was thinking too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Or the whole "Polls are open but also no one is allowed to leave the house for a week starting now" and then walk it back or whatever the day after.

Yes, there would be loads of poo poo heading his way but he would have saved lives and given more ammo to people pushing for a better election.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Don't torment yourself watching this garbage. It has become his daily old man ranting at cloud session since he can't do his beloved rallies. Ignore him and just read the highlights from the adults in the room.
As incoherent and stupid as he sounds in a Daniel Dale tweet, nothing compares to the real thing. The adults in the room inevitably sanitize his statements, intentionally or otherwise, which is why I'm not super glad the networks have largely stopped showing the press conferences.

That said, if it pisses you off too much, there's no shame in changing the channel. Hopefully a few "soft" republicans watch this poo poo and get disgusted into staying home in November, I guess.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
He's so loving insane and I keep expecting the gaslighting to stop and for people to say "holy poo poo he IS insane" but it doesn't happen and it never will. I guess I'm just posting this to reassure myself that I'm not insane, and if you feel the same you aren't insane either.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It just keeps going around in circles and nothing ever changes no matter how stupid he gets / how dumb the stuff he says. I just don't get it :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zenguitarman posted:

He was doing this yesterday too where he would only take your question if you could answer his riddle.

He's also doing this thing in almost every question I watch him answer, where he won't let the questioner finish the question, he just interrupts halfway through and launches into some petulant testy diatribe that may or may not have anything to do with what the person was trying to ask.

Is he doing that more frequently now? I feel like at least he used to let people finish talking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ReidRansom posted:

Seems they've become a personally invited guest of Trump the press sec.

Whoever that is now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Whoever that is now

Chanel Rion, new press secretary!

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Zinkovich posted:

So, my girlfriend has been waiting three weeks to receive her unemployment over here in FL. Things here are a mess. DeSantis and FL Republicans have really, truly hosed up.

Literally none of her/my unemployed friends or relations have been able to get through to fully submitting a claim on the website. We were close at one point, but it through up some weird yellow runtime error near the end.

A.)You can't get through on the phone to request it without being on hold in excess of 12 hours(longest we've tried is around 11)

B.)Picking up paper applications at the unemployment office is a huge risk for infection so we're not going to go and risk it. She doesn't have healthcare right now.

I'm feeling a general sense that people here are ready to riot if DeSantis doesn't get his poo poo together, and honestly lighting that torch is pretty tempting right now for us at the moment after trying for hours on the daily just to *submit* a claim.

yeah and UI in florida is only 275. luckily they are adding that 600 too it because 275 is less than a part time minimum wage job

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

The loan forgiveness only kicks in when 75% of it is spent on payroll too so that's something.

If by ‘something’ you mean ‘hire my useless relatives then pay them the money while I fire all the actual employees’ sure.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ManBoyChef posted:

yeah and UI in florida is only 275. luckily they are adding that 600 too it because 275 is less than a part time minimum wage job

I'm still skeptical about that happening as Trump begins to strip oversight of the stimulus bill and no state unemployment offices have even received guidance from the federal government afaik.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder what employees at NRA HQ do exactly.

Kick puppies, eat kittens, and put the toilet paper so it comes from underneath.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Telsa Cola posted:

Or the whole "Polls are open but also no one is allowed to leave the house for a week starting now" and then walk it back or whatever the day after.

Yes, there would be loads of poo poo heading his way but he would have saved lives and given more ammo to people pushing for a better election.

This literally wouldn't work because it would be struck down immediately by the courts like his other orders. Or you would end up with Milwaukee and Madison closed and all the rest of the state ignoring him and leaving the polls open.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I'm still skeptical about that happening as Trump begins to strip oversight of the stimulus bill and no state unemployment offices have even received guidance from the federal government afaik.

They actually just did in the last week!

https://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/corr_doc.cfm?DOCN=4628

https://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/corr_doc.cfm?DOCN=9297

https://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/corr_doc.cfm?DOCN=3390

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Artonos posted:

This literally wouldn't work because it would be struck down immediately by the courts like his other orders. Or you would end up with Milwaukee and Madison closed and all the rest of the state ignoring him and leaving the polls open.

Courts take a bit to strike poo poo down. If he did it last minute and immediately set out people to enforce it it would take longer than that one day to sort out, which is totally fine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oh that's actually good news! I wonder when we might actually start seeing it. My UI is terrible because instead of going by my most recent year of employment it's going off of the previous year, when I was working part time at a non-profit.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Zinkovich posted:

Skimming that article, it doesn't appear to mention that the system was in fact designed to fail by Rick Scott. They didn't gently caress up, it's working as intended by making it as difficult as possible to collect unemployment.

quote:

Privately, Republicans admit that the $77.9 million system that is now failing Florida workers is doing exactly what Scott designed it to do — lower the state’s reported number of jobless claims after the great recession.

“It’s a sh-- sandwich, and it was designed that way by Scott,” said one DeSantis advisor. “It wasn’t about saving money. It was about making it harder for people to get benefits or keep benefits so that the unemployment numbers were low to give the governor something to brag about.”

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I just want to say now that I predict that Trump ends up finding a way to cede all control of the stimulus package to himself by proxy of his lackeys and they somehow find a way to give all the money to himsel, through his children, and his donors. The republiucan voters will look at this as a failure of democrats to stop him from corruption so therefore they need to go. Hannity will find a way to say its good for the country that Trump stole all the money and that somehow corruption is the american way. Biden will be completely okay with all of this and will continue making podcasts about old people cookies.

edit: Mike Pence will say it is god's will that Trump takes the money and will fall prostrate at Trump's feet.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 8, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s almost amazing how nakedly the Trump admin is going to extraordinary lengths to gently caress normal people. Just in every way possible. Threatening their lives, livelihood, shelter, FOOD....

Just daring us to riot and give them a well-deserved and aggressive haircut.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Telsa Cola posted:

Courts take a bit to strike poo poo down. If he did it last minute and immediately set out people to enforce it it would take longer than that one day to sort out, which is totally fine.

Any conscious judge can (and would) issue an immediate stay and tell every state trooper still carrying out the Governor's orders that they will be in held in contempt of a court order. And at that point, who are those state troopers more likely to listen to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Telsa Cola posted:

You mean like trying to cancel them at noon the day before after giving up the Republican legislature doing its job? And was overturned by the state supreme court within a few hours? Like that kind of last minute?