Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

there's going to be a lot of changes in the next couple of years. intel and nvidia will need to change their business model since so many companies will be making their own custom risc-v's. seems impossible, but i see arm melting away. what is apple going to do with their ios devices? probably switch to risc-v. computer manufacturers will no longer need to wait for what intel has, and they can handle the security side themselves with their own instruction set

parallel to this we'll see more streaming applications. imagine the desktop going away. you drop your thin device onto a cradle that shows "desktop mode" streaming to your monitor, all running off the cloud. no more expensive desktop computer hardware to buy, but subscriptions to streaming services, with their own servers that they can update to their own needs whenever they want with an open risc architecture

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
literally nothing important will ever use risc-v. end thread

----------8<------

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

pram i'm marking our words. i see risc-v starting to replace arm stuff by the end of 2022, unless they pull some kind of crazy stunt of doing something similar. aside from cortex, arm has multi-million dollar licensing fees to start. risc-v will have none of that, and engineers will be able to customize them any way they want

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
@pram actually risc-v is seeing mass adoption in niche areas

western-digital adopted risc-v for their next generation of disk controllers to avoid paying royalties

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

@pram actually risc-v is seeing mass adoption in niche areas

western-digital adopted risc-v for their next generation of disk controllers to avoid paying royalties

wow interesting. amazon just adopted arm for their next generation arm processor for aws. really makes you think

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

not me

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
source your quotes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

risc-v is the late 2010s equivalent of the i960

it'll be around for a couple decades in all sorts of weird applications but the only people who will care are the people building the systems that use it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apple is seriously going to drop a decade of engineering to adopt the stallman approved processor architecture linux barely runs on. you legit think this. lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

risc-v will be the mips of the 21st century

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

pram posted:

apple is seriously going to drop a decade of engineering to adopt the stallman approved processor architecture linux barely runs on. you legit think this. lol

i don't see why not. they'll need to invest into the engineering, which will probably be at least a few years. they could keep their ios devices at the same price point, while saving a ton of money

pram
Jun 10, 2001
query: if the worlds richest company cared about license fees, and was starting from scratch anyway since risc-v does not provide any reference designs close to what they need... why wouldnt they just make their own cpu architecture?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

pram posted:

query: if the worlds richest company cared about license fees, and was starting from scratch anyway since risc-v does not provide any reference designs close to what they need... why wouldnt they just make their own cpu architecture?

too expensive. arm designed had what they needed, but now they can have another risc processor that is even more specifically tailored to their needs. it's not similar to starting from scratch making an entirely new cpu architecture

edit: also apple doesn’t have the capability to make their own architecture. they don’t work like this. too specialized

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 6, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018
2020: the year of risc-v on the desktop

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Good Sphere posted:

parallel to this we'll see more streaming applications. imagine the desktop going away. you drop your thin device onto a cradle that shows "desktop mode" streaming to your monitor, all running off the cloud. no more expensive desktop computer hardware to buy, but subscriptions to streaming services, with their own servers that they can update to their own needs whenever they want with an open risc architecture

nobody has the bandwidth for this

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I'm the errata.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Good Sphere posted:

too expensive. arm designed had what they needed, but now they can have another risc processor that is even more specifically tailored to their needs. it's not similar to starting from scratch making an entirely new cpu architecture

no. apple doesnt license the cpu designs, apple designs their own socs. what benefit does risc-v bring to the table other than a pdf with the ISA

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
risc-v business

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
to answer your question op, nobody has made one yet

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

pram posted:

no. apple doesnt license the cpu designs, apple designs their own socs. what benefit does risc-v bring to the table other than a pdf with the ISA

ok, you're probably right

i looked it up, and the rest of the internet seems to be on board with apple not moving away from arm any time soon

pram
Jun 10, 2001
glad we resolved that. thread can be gassed now

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

pram posted:

glad we resolved that. thread can be gassed now

i still believe it will make a significant impact

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good Sphere posted:

i still believe it will make a significant impact

and some people believe the earth is flat

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:gas:

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

risc-lxix

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

what in the gently caress does this have to do with cpu architecture

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
The RISC-V (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) processor is a chip that is still in it’s infancy, but it’s a chip that everyone should be supporting. You might be wondering, what makes this chip so great?

The RISC-V architecture is great because it is the only processor that has a completely open source instruction set, if you want to learn more check out their website. What’s an open source instruction set? In layman’s terms, it means that the way the processor moves around 1s and 0s is available for everyone to see. The advent of what is probably the worst security bug, Meltdown and Spectre, boiled down to a flaw in the instruction set of Intel’s processors. I don’t think anyone in the security field was completely shocked, after all, a speaker at a BlackHat conference demonstrated that there were unknown instructions in the x86 architecture, and that inevitably means there are hidden bugs, it was only a matter of time before a truly devastating bug was found, in our case it was Spectre and Meltdown.

Another benefit of RISC-V is that it enables companies to develop a product that is tailored specifically to their workload, so they start with the RISC-V core and can add whatever it is they specifically need, saving both time and money. These savings can theoretically be passed on to the consumer either through a lower cost, or in the longterm by having a lower energy footprint. However, I believe the biggest benefit of RISC-V is the inherent security and peace of mind it will give to both consumers and businesses alike.

The Spectre and Meltdown bugs are huge problems in the security sphere because over 90% of the server market is owned by Intel, which means that nearly every cloud service is running on hardware that allows attackers to read data that they should not be able to access. To make matters worse, early reports indicate that after these bugs are patched, there will be a performance hit of anywhere between 4–30%, depending on the workload. I hope that these devastating new bugs will make everyone rethink how they go about designing hardware, and support products such as RISC-V.

I will confess that even if we all switched to RISC-V in the future, it doesn’t mean that all of our security woes will be left in the past, RISC-V is BSD licensed, meaning that a vendor can tailor it to themselves and keep those custom bits of code behind closed doors, and closed doors means that there is most likely a vulnerability waiting to be unearthed. The only way forward is with a future that is open and transparent, technology has become too ingrained in our society to be kept behind closed doors.

I’m a firm believer in open source because it’s the only way to achieve the kind of optimistic future that we want. AI that will be responsible for driving cars should be open for everyone to see what it does and how it works, processors that the AI runs on should be the same. As far as I know, RISC-V is the latest open source processor architecture that is currently being used or developed for a variety of products by multiple big name companies. (EDIT: ARM and SPARC are other open source processor designs) For example, Nvidia will be using a RISC-V chip onboard their GPUS and Western Digital is planning to ship a billion RISC-V units in the upcoming year. If you’re a tinkerer or someone who is a fan of small board computers such as Raspberry Pi’s or Arduino’s, SiFive, a company founded by a former student of the man who invented RISC, sells a RISC-V developer board right now.

RISC-V is an existing piece of technology with brilliant minds and monolithic companies propelling it forward, I hope that one day consumers and businesses alike will have easy access to this open architecture available on their laptops, phones, and desktops.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

open source products never have security issues

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
disappointed this thread isn’t about the LMARV-1

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
riscv is designed for the people who are senstive to arm's licensing costs per CPU/IP core

i.e. the fractions of a penny/pennies per core.

So WD and various minion core users are totally shifting since yeah a penny * # hard drives shipped is a lot

but a penny vs the dozens of $ for an application core in the iphone? gently caress that

it'd cost more to re-develop the massive library of applications and libraries and compilers and such

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

SO DEMANDING posted:

what in the gently caress does this have to do with cpu architecture

companies that will stream desktop applications can upgrade their systems faster, and more specific to their needs than individual consumers

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

companies that will stream desktop applications can upgrade their systems faster, and more specific to their needs than individual consumers

you really think cpu architecture is what's holding us back from doing this

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quote:

The advent of what is probably the worst security bug, Meltdown and Spectre, boiled down to a flaw in the instruction set of Intel’s processors. I don’t think anyone in the security field was completely shocked, after all, a speaker at a BlackHat conference demonstrated that there were unknown instructions in the x86 architecture, and that inevitably means there are hidden bugs, it was only a matter of time before a truly devastating bug was found, in our case it was Spectre and Meltdown.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
undocumented instructions? gently caress that’s cool

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
If only we knew which stocks to buy now 😂

Seriously though, I think this is all driven by the US move to impose sanctions onto China, and that this growth is predominantly driven by Chinese shift onto more dependable technologies, and in this particular case, in this segment, it happens to be RISC-V.

I wonder if the likes of Intel will see its demise, or will they survive by either open sourcing their CISC ISA, or by shifting to RISC-V themselves?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I think it will go the way of risc-i through risc-iv

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Is there any RISC-V hardware that makes any sense for an end user to buy right now? Even an RPi-like toy computer or a Arduino-like device

brucehoult

8d

This is asked and answered about once a week.

The only board with RPi-like capability right now is the $999 HiFive Unleashed. It performs about like a Pi3 or maybe 3+, depending on what you are doing, except it doesn't have built in video or USB. If you add a $1999 expansion board you get USB and PCI slots (which you can put a normal PC video card in, normally AMD) and other good stuff. Obviously, it's not RPi price.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"The HFU is capable of running the Debian Linux distribution and Quake II."

i wonder if it can run debian hurd

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

just use x86-64 forever until we all die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

akadajet posted:

"The HFU is capable of running the Debian Linux distribution and Quake II."

i wonder if it can run debian hurd

what else do you need