Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Management posted:

insert 3000 character error message from a c++ compiler complaining that type “giant template expansion” is not compatible with type “another giant template expansion”

this but rust deeply nested traits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
guru meditation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah wtf

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

"I can't download license file"

I work at license activation support and people can be incredibly stupid and lazy, from what I heard the worst are NASA employees. Also at least once a day I get somebody who is to lazy to access computer in another building so thinks it's ok to give them free activation because "I delete it later, its fine!"

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

RustyKnight posted:

"I can't download license file"

I work at license activation support and people can be incredibly stupid and lazy, from what I heard the worst are NASA employees. Also at least once a day I get somebody who is to lazy to access computer in another building so thinks it's ok to give them free activation because "I delete it later, its fine!"

i think you should give them free licenses

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
as long as they delete within 24 hours i don't see the issue

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Sham bam bamina! posted:

as long as they delete within 24 hours i don't see the issue

there is no real way we can verify that other than going there and inspecting every computer they have, and we already got tons of calls from people who can’t return activations because the one they want to return is already listed as inactive in our system, license activation files are independent and will work even when you deactivate them in database, because most of the industrial automation machines are not connected to internet it only seems logical that you cannot make a reliable way to verify it via internet, so if we were to give people new activations there is nothing stopping them from using old ones effectively duplicating $30k software entitlement.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

i remember getting irl spooked by this sort of message in system 7

I thought I broke computer and committed a crime

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RustyKnight posted:

there is no real way we can verify that other than going there and inspecting every computer they have, and we already got tons of calls from people who can’t return activations because the one they want to return is already listed as inactive in our system, license activation files are independent and will work even when you deactivate them in database, because most of the industrial automation machines are not connected to internet it only seems logical that you cannot make a reliable way to verify it via internet, so if we were to give people new activations there is nothing stopping them from using old ones effectively duplicating $30k software entitlement.

lmao

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

my least favorite is this type:

- absolutely no useful info
- something cutesy like a smiley to soften the blow
- "there's nothing you can do", aka. "we're working on it" or "contact an administrator"

my favorite is this:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

guru meditation

it didn't crash, it just gave me an opportunity to meditate! i wish i had a joyboard!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RustyKnight posted:

most of the industrial automation machines are not connected to internet

oh well there's your problem. spin up a telnet daemon on those things and you'll be checking activation licenses in no time

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RustyKnight posted:

:mrgw:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
helm is my favorite source of nonsense errors

this somehow means "you defined a key twice":

code:

YAML parse error on farts/templates/butts-pre-upgrade.yaml: error converting YAML to JSON: yaml: line 102:
helm.go:81: [debug] error converting YAML to JSON: yaml: line 102: did not find expected key

also line 102 doesn't correspond to any real line, it's in the rendered yaml template that isn't shown. the render changes size dramatically depending on what you configure so it's basically impossible to determine the problem line in the template

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

oh well there's your problem. spin up a telnet daemon on those things and you'll be checking activation licenses in no time

It's not problem of machines not being connected because they are often hosted on servers with internal connection, but connecting them to internet is a big no no with nearly every local it, and even if the file is listed as inactive in system it can still work normally, when you try to connect to release it it will give you an error message about it but wont do nothing, so if you know this you can just copy files, return them, copy them back to activation folder and have extra activation. Also if you have another license for newest version of software and download it on machine with old license it will activate itself. Don't ask my why I don't know poo poo about technical side of this, i only know where to move your mouse cursor to make it work most of the time.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
when my cat just meows really loudly for no discernable reason while staring at me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the cat wants lunchmeat for gods sake, just give it some ham

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

honestly how is that even the tiniest bit inscrutable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just outright making a mockery of the inscrutable error message thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

smdh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rekt by rotor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the cat wants lunchmeat for gods sake, just give it little a salami

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RustyKnight posted:

seems worth it to have a cj walk around and act as the licence police and shut people down who don’t comply

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you want a license? here you go. but in 24 hours your password gets changed unless you return it.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
did anybody say PC LOAD LETTER yet

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

echinopsis posted:

seems worth it to have a cj walk around and act as the licence police and shut people down who don’t comply

Our company actualy does that! :nsa:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

did anybody say PC LOAD LETTER yet

The Management posted:

PC LOAD LETTER

sorry chief looks like so

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

quote:

Not ready reading drive B
Abort, Retry, Fail?

like seriously, what's the difference between abort and fail

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

if you do it before the deadline the abort won't affect your GPA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

one's nigh-illegal in half the country

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

one's nigh-illegal in half the country

https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Aborting-a-Program.html

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my cat was meowing again. i remembered that the dinner portion of wet food was a little smaller than usual because the breakfast portion was a little larger.i took rotor's advice and gave him some dead bird slices.

he's been asleep in the closet for like 2 and a half hours

ticket closed

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

lp0 on fire

burning swine
May 26, 2004

animist
Aug 28, 2018

quote:

The message did not reliably indicate whether the printer in question was actually on fire.

:thunk:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
docker-compose:
code:
ERROR: compose.cli.main.main: unknown blob
also, speaking of licensing:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004