Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Hi Folks, It's Jordan, have not ever done one of these, but it is one of my favorite things about year ends, talking about the big TV events of the year, and all the interesting stuff that happened, but I don't really want to come up with huge suggestions or explain everything, because, well, I mostly watch Non-Fiction, Documentary, and Game Shows of course, for me to explain the significance of certain television shows in my wheelhouse, would be a bit absurd to put in the list, so what I decided to do is break this into two parts the "Honorable Mentions" (Game Shows + More) and then the "Top 10" list to count towards this list.

I'll keep my Honorable Mentions into just FIVE game shows and/or documentary shows that I found very enjoyable, that I think deserve praise, rather it was new, or debuted last year or something in between.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

The Circle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Op2uKuy61I

In the world of "Survivor" and "Big Brother", not a ton of talk happens to UK Formats, as Netflix has a deal to do "The Circle" internationally, I should hype up "The Circle", with Season 1 in the UK, somebody who played as their girlfriend won the show, but with "Season 2", they amped it up With Emma Willis as the presenter, and tried their best to get more "catfishing" on the show - but the two stand-outs of the show was Tim, a Robin Williams who loved his cat, and Paddy, an advocate for gay rights and disabilities, who went into the show not explaining his disability (to see what it was like to not feel judged) and it was such an emotional moment, that I really enjoyed for what amounts to "Wow, Social Media is Terrible" (Also, what is it gonna take to get Only Connect to America?)

The Masked Singer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmd7XFd6AMg

The Masked Singer, was a throwback to game shows like "Masquerade Party" while still having this amazing gimmick that people who see through the costume and "who sung it" would understand - grammy winning artists in a singing competition against actors and athletes on a relatively level playing field. Just like how "The Voice" is all about the singing and not the looks, "The Masked Singer" did a great job at making a quirky fun singing show, into an amazing game.

Press Your Luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ9H0pTxAx4

Press Your Luck returned with Elizabeth Banks as the host, and the return of "The Whammy", while we live in the post-Deal or No Deal world and shows like "Spin The Wheel" throwing millions for nothing are out there - Press Your Luck went a little back to basics, but continued the high stakes gambles and added some very outrageous prizes out there - SpaghettiOs for Life!

The Imagineering Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y7TlaXDPrg

A Documentary about Walt Disney Imagineering, with Iwerks involved, a fantastic look at the generations and decades that made Disneyland the go-to theme park, and that juggling act of business, science and creativity that becomes a major part of Disney. While seemingly an "infomercial", it also digs deeper into some of the biggest issues with the park.

The Toys That Made Us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rS1jLCF5LY

One of my favorite shows to watch on Netflix because "Nailed It", it might be 60-minute mini documentaries about the creation of different toy companies, the cartoons that go into them, and much more, but I somehow always gravitate towards them and feel it's worth a binge watch. You won't regret it. Plus, we are all nerds here, let's face it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsW30Ur0sg

The TOP 10 Television Shows of 2019

10) Black Mirror
I am one of the biggest supporters of Charlie Brooker, but this series was mostly, "Huh", with the exception of "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too" as they try and diverge the series from being "What if phones, but too much" and still riding that San Junipero wave.

9) The Twilight Zone
While I still love modern Black Mirror over the Jordan Peele "Twilight Zone", the debut season of the show was a great re-introduction to the anthology series, my favorite episode was the meta-commentary episode "Blurryman" that starts out as a normal Twilight Zone, but then evolves into a story about what storytelling is and isn't about.

8) The Boys
There really isn't room on this list for superhero shows, Sorry Titans, I still can't figure out your group dynamic, Sorry Doom Patrol, I really love ya, but you'd be #11 if I had it, and Watchmen... well, it was a "remix", But for me, this year "The Boys" was the Anti-Superhero show we needed. It had the dark comedy, it had you question the morals of Starlight, and have an amazing story arc with her, and you of course had Billy Butcher being the "gray area" character that many other superhero shows fail to capture.

7) GLOW
I will be honest, this season wasn't as good as the other ones, but I still found myself laughing at all the references to the weird world of professional wrestling that reminds me why I mostly post on "Rowdy Ringsports", the irrelevance and cultural appropriation is the mainline subject matter of the show, especially when it was regarding women, but with the big move this season, it made for an interesting landscape for the show, and still maintained true to what it was - a sitcom about pro wrestling.

6) Documentary Now
I can't put any real documentaries on this list, but Documentary Now hits all the notes of a great satire, and is one of the rare "shows that felt like it was meant for me" - from the "Any Given Saturday Afternoon" episode parodying "A League of Ordinary Gentlemen" to it's "Dear Mr. Watterson" episode that was all about doing deep cuts about Gary Larson, it still is the show I will keep watching as long as they continue making it. I still want to see their attempt at a "Super Size Me" or a "20 Feet from Stardom" in this format, but I am glad it returned.

5) Barry
I will be honest - I didn't like Bill Hader before Barry. I thought he was yet another SNL guy, I didn't care for his roles in any of his movies, and seeing the south park documentary "6 days to air" made me think of him a little less, i knew he was "a funny actor", but Barry gave me a shocking turn, much like seeing Bob Odenkirk doing Breaking Bad for the first time - the comedy guy, can do drama. While it's still a comedy in beats and premise, there isn't any winks or nods or anything that doesn't take away from the tone of the show. It really is a tragedy, and it's one that you feel bad every time a decision comes up, or something involving the theater.

4) Mr Robot
I really hope people aren't sleeping on Mr Robot now that Rami Malek won for Bohemian Rhapsody, the anxiety continues for Elliot, as we see Dark Web, Social Media, and of course, Capitalism and Greedy Billionaires be the targets for another fsociety campaign. December 22nd is the SERIES finale, and it's a wonder if this will be one of the great dramas of the 2010s that will have a satisfying ending.

3)What We Do In The Shadows
Matt Barry plays an over the top vampire and the best impersonator in the world, Mark Proksch plays an energy vampire who bores people to death, literally. Most television shows adapted from movies don't turn out so well, but What We Do In The Shadows was one of those surprising favorites that didn't really get the promotion and praise it did on social media and other "hype blogs" - Episode 7, "The Trial" had a laundry list of celebrity cameos and deep cuts such as Wesley Snipes denying being a vampire hunter.

2) I Think You Should Leave
Sketch Comedy has been very, very, bad in recent years. Sometimes you get a "Robot Chicken" other times you get a "Frank TV", but I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson had some of the greatest sketches in not just this year, but this decade - from "Chunky" the Game Show, to the "Honk If You're Horny" guy, to the "Hot Dog" Robber, to of course, "Focus Group" (although I did love Tim Heidecker in the "Party Game" sketch talking about a legendary jazz musician from "The Colgate Comedy Hour")

1) Succession
It became the meme of the internet, over who is "Daddy's Candy Baby", but Succession is the kind of show that could take up the mantle of "Next Dallas" that "Empire" dropped the ball with, as every one of the family members fights for the big seat at the company, while the comedy unravels as you see this company has their hands in so many media outlets, from children's books to theme park rides. Questioning what is Kendall gonna do next, or is Roman gonna screw them over, the same kind of discussion that would happen from Game of Thrones, but without any fear of a dragon chomping at them next episode. Season 1 was a silent favorite, but Season 2, as they grew the stakes made it one popular show. Personally, I love the soundtrack of the show and I love the way each scene serves to foreshadow something coming up either in that episode or two episodes over. Let's hope Bernie Sanders takes their money before they finally come up with their game plan to get richer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_x16VWnZc

That's about it, I am pretty sure I am forgetting shows like "Fabulous Mrs Maisel" and that awkward "Watchmen" show with the blue dildo or that "Mandalorian" that looks like the prequel trilogy with the baby yoda serving as "replacement jar jar" that will be all cute and adorable that we will all love, until RLM uses MrPlinkett to make a 3 hour video about why it's terrible, and suddenly everybody online turns their backs on the star wars webseries on disney plus.

2019, a great year of television, most of which was forgettable, but only if it was on network television.

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I don't trust this "Dark Order" they seem like bad people in my book.

Why can't they be like the Orange Cassidy fellow, just hanging around, being chill, like a BYOB poster.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

i sure picked the winners :smith:

E: page snipe, great top 10 list over on the previous page!