Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer
i haven't hit mine in a year, which is definitely a sign of a healthy and predictable workload

unless my okrs were "chat on irc" and "gently caress around with rust"

post your interesting work stuff, i guess.

mine first: setting up a bunch of SAST and DAST tools for evaluation, and expecting them to be mostly useless with our weird microservice stack. spoiler: all of them expect http methods, xml, or json as the IO and when you deviate from that, poo poo breaks in boring ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
we only have department level okrs and i dont know what they were :shrug:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pram posted:

we only have department level okrs and i dont know what they were :shrug:

Sounds like management needs to work on your alignment!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
My bosses don't tell me what my KPIs are (and certainly don't make the actionable data-set accessible to and auditable by me in real-time) meaning that the concept of "KPI" is just an excuse for them to do whatever they were going to do anyways?

:shrug:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
im lookin at the OKRs for the first time since the beginning of th equarter. don't remember what the words were intended to mean and we didn't write down any acceptance criteria or anything. guess its time for the team's all hands meeting where two people spend 10m talking about each KR and then either giving it a 0.8 or taking an AI to figure out what it meant (the ai will never be followed up on).

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

OH-KRRRRRR

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ciso sent out an email said we were crushing it so i guess

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
at my last place every quarter we changed system and so never used the okrs set at the start of the quarter

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
okr boomr

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my bosses love me. we met on okrcupid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
whats an okr?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Management posted:

whats an okr?

a tool to increase alignment between your life and business needs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

to be clear it is you that is meant to change, not the business

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what if I just shipped products by fixing the software until it works? is that good?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
google does it, so it is good and useful

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

what if I just shipped products by fixing the software until it works? is that good?

only if you can quantify good and accurately predict what youll be working on a year in advance.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

whats an okr?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

a tool to increase alignment between your life and business needs.

increase the alignment between deez nuts

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Reviewing the quarter I don't remember making the okr "Look good naked", but that's absolutely the kind of poo poo I'd write.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

no man you've gotta think up some kind of system that the company may or may not need and convince your boss to pay you build the whole thing personally & also open source it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i failed one of my kpis this year by day 2 of the kpi year. feels good man.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh ho you kept your head down and "contributed" on a """team"""? steve jobs wrote osx 10 all by himself and saved the company, come back when you have that kind of accomplishment

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

no man you've gotta think up some kind of system that the company may or may not need and convince your boss to pay you build the whole thing personally & also open source it

what if I take this thing that works and replace it with a needlessly complex domain specific language?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

what if I take this thing that works and replace it with a needlessly complex domain specific language?

what if the thing that works is a needlessly complex dsl in the first place??

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we do mbos and they're really reasonable to the point that if you're not hitting them it probably means you're gonna be fired

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

it depends. does a company literally 200x your size do it? if so, that means it's good!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

we do mbos and they're really reasonable to the point that if you're not hitting them it probably means you're gonna be fired

whats an mbo

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

fart simpson posted:

whats an mbo

masters in business okrs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

poty posted:

masters in business okrs

thanks!

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
our OKRs are to make sure our non-existent SLOs aren't violated by adverse events which impact our poorly defined and statistically shady SLIs :yaycloud:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fart simpson posted:

whats an mbo

managed business objective

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
met my goals but the bonus is non existent due to a downturn in the industry and two freak accidents.

mixing company wide accident rates into bonus schemes is a loving scam.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
thats nice and all, but I really just need to know how much I need to reduce headcount in 2020 to get my bonus

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Media Bloodbath posted:

bonus schemes is a loving scam.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
are OKRs good or bad

our VP of engineering bought everybody in the department a copy of "Measure What Matters: OKRs: The Simple Idea that Drives 10x Growth", and then nothing happened and now it's a year later

did we dodge a bullet there?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

whenever management fails to implement their ideas its good

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

also my targets are always made with the utmost adherence to measurability at the beginning of the year, whereafter they get rearranged every month and there is no connection between my performance, my targets and the bonus I get.

in short: lomarf

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Poopernickel posted:

are OKRs good or bad

our VP of engineering bought everybody in the department a copy of "Measure What Matters: OKRs: The Simple Idea that Drives 10x Growth", and then nothing happened and now it's a year later

did we dodge a bullet there?

sort of like agile when it's done correctly it can be good but everyone decides to do it their own way and eventually regress to what they were already doing but just calling it something new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

are OKRs good or bad

it depends

if there's a clear way that they'll be acknowledged and rewarded, or worked on should they come up short, absolutely. the process needs to allow for some flex.

if it's just "YOU MUST EXCEED THE GOALS YOU SET, OR SET DIFFICULT GOALS TO PUSH YOURSELF" and you get chewed out, then it's hosed up

i believe in general it will be used in the latter case and thus cannot be trusted.

but it can be useful if implemented correctly