Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

What is OneShot?

OneShot is a videogame that was released on June 30th, 2014 as part of a RPG maker contest. The original game was made in a month and featured a lot of the ideas in this LP, but not quite as much content/story. The game had enough acclaim to warrant a full release on steam which came out on December 8th of 2016 (3 years ago exactly!) to a lot of acclaim by fans and critics alike. The steam release came with a lot more content to separate it from it's freeware version. It is, as mentioned, an RPG maker game (How do I keep LPing these games??) that really does some incredibly interesting things with the engine. As with just about all acclaimed RPG maker games, the game has pretty spritework/portraits, good music, and a decent story.

However, what truly makes it unique are some elements that will be revealed... in due time.

What format will this LP be?

For 95% of the game, screenshots work perfectly with maybe a few gifs here and there. However, there's one section of the game that screenshots, gifs, and even video can't do justice. While I agonize over how to cover that, know that it will be screenshot for the vast majority of the LP.

Why this game?

The soundtrack is real good, the artwork is gorgeous, and it does something really unique that I feel may get lost by just telling people about it. It's something you either have to experience for yourself or through the lens of someone else - not just second hand chatter.

Spoiler policy?

This is a 3 - 5 year old game, so feel free to talk about story spoilers behind the black bars. I do ask that you keep post ending (Solstice update) stuff to a minimum until we reach that part of the game, but it's not a big deal... just please use the black bars. However, what I do ask is to not spoil mechanics - don't talk about the meta stuff until I show it off.

Update Schedule?

My previous LPs were pumped out really quickly thanks to an ancient technique I like to call "unemployment". I don't have a set schedule laid out but I would like to update once a week at minimum and hopefully twice a week if I can.

With all that said, let's begin...

Update 1: The Cat in the Hat
Update 2: The Goon's Pilgrimage
Update 3: Engineer Silver's Mines
Update 4: I Rowbot
Update 5: Silver's Lament

Update 6: Asleep in the Glen
Update 7:The Maize in the Caves
Update 8: Birds of the Ruins

Update 9: Big Refuge; 3 AM
Update 10: Elevator Hitch
Update 11: The Refuge Library
Update 12: The Fox and the Feline
Update 13: I dream of George
Update 14: If you give a cat pancakes
Update 15: The Entity in the Tower
Update 16: Our OneShot...
Update 17: ...To save the World

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Reserved

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My Burden is Light

Welcome to OneShot! We aren't even past the title screen before reaching some melancholic music and a sad menu screen! Bodes well for future events.

The game actually isn't really a sad one, but drat it really is going all in for newcomers. I think it's because people don't think it's an indie game unless the amount of times they've cried while playing the game is equal to the amount of frames in the game.

Yeah, that last little bit about windowed mode being the best experience? I'm not sure how you'd play otherwise. It's kind of a limit of RPG maker but made worse by the resolution. Don't worry though, that's not an issue for LP viewers.

Someplace I know

H-hello?

We now have control of our protagonist! We've already seen the controls, which are pretty basic. I'm really gonna recommend if you play the game yourself that you go in the settings and turn auto-run to ON. Trust me on that.

[Niko picks it up.]

Nice! Our first item. Gameplay in this game is really adventure-game like. You find items and either combine them with one another or use them on the world map to make progress. It can border on fetch quests from time to time, but I never really noticed this while playing.

Examining the bed tells us that Niko just woke up, and the bookcase says it's too dark to read anything... so let's check out the computer.

Oh... uh, I don't suppose the previous owner left it on the default code?

:sigh: Darn.

Not nice! Welp, I'm out of ideas. Guess we've gotta continue looking around the room.

Not gonna lie, a dark room doesn't bother me. A dark bathroom though? Hard pass.

If we investigate the plant in the corner of the room a branch will fall off for our inventory collection.

Why is the running commentary on this sound creepy? Surely she's had her eyes her entire life? Wouldn't she expect to see them in the mirror?

Anyway, there's nothing else to do here so let's head back into the bedroom.

The bottom door is locked... so we've exhausted everything there is to do. Except for that window. Maybe we can break it and jump out of here?

Sadly, using the branch on the window does not do anything. The game will usually indicate if the item currently being used will interact with something. Since we only have one other item, let's hold up the remote control to the window.

[In the faint light, Niko can glimpse the face of the remote...]

We've got our code! Notice though that there are numbers and colors. So don't click through this part without memorizing the colors to the numbers.

Oh jeez, we found the only computer still running Windows ME. Also who puts their recycling bin there?! It should go in the corner where it belongs!

You found me.

Uhhhh? Were we playing hide and seek with someone? Why did the computer prompt that message on boot?

...Why? You're already too late. Not much of the world remains. This will be apparent once you go outside. This place was never worth saving.

Do you still want to try? Then, remember this: Your actions here will affect Niko. Your "mission" is to help Niko leave. And most importantly...

:stare:

Uh...huh. Okay! Well uh... come back next time for when we finish exploring the house!! With less talking to computers!!!

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 21, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, Oneshot! This is one of my favourite games. That message box at the end of the update really got me the first time - it uses your name, without ever asking you for it. (It reads your user profile name)

Any particular reason Niko reads as female to you? Not critical, just curious. The game never specifies their gender.

Personally, I would describe this game as pretty sad. Although melancholy is probably a better word. More a sad mood than necessarily tragic events.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

Any particular reason Niko reads as female to you? Not critical, just curious. The game never specifies their gender.

The character look is androgynous enough but I couldn't specify why they also present female to me as well. Maybe it's the dialogue throughout.

I played this game about a year ago ONCE THROUGH and it was pretty neato. I look forward to seeing things I might've missed!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, Oneshot! This is one of my favourite games. That message box at the end of the update really got me the first time - it uses your name, without ever asking you for it. (It reads your user profile name)

Personally, I would describe this game as pretty sad. Although melancholy is probably a better word. More a sad mood than necessarily tragic events.

Its hard to explain but I just get a female vibe from Niko? Niko kinda reminds me of my little sister so maybe that biases me a bit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Well, color me intrigued, though the warning message is making me think this is one of those games that deletes itself / sets a flag in your registry to prevent you from playing it more than once.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This game is great and extremely clever in a couple of places.

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, I was wondering about that because I remembered thinking of Niko as male when I played.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 8, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FWIW I also read Niko as female. I can't really explain, maybe because of their pose on the banner in the OP? Although on second look that's basically the usual pose a cat does when they're licking their paws and stuff, so I dunno.

really queer Christmas posted:

I also really, really like this little animation for some reason. :3

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This one's been sitting in my backlog for way too long, but seeing an LP inspired me to finally start it. I think I'm about halfway through and so far I like it a lot. I also suspect that I'm going to end up being glad that I went in blind.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
oh, nice! thanks for doing this. I loved this game when I played it a year or two ago, and it's great to get a chance to experience it fresh again. didn't know it got an update, so the new content'll be interesting to look forward to

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I finished the game this afternoon. That was an absolutely amazing experience and I think it's still going to be a little while before I feel like playing anything else. Anyone who's on the fence should definitely pick this one up.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

been long enough since i played this that this oughta still be an exciting journey as i constantly remember good stuff i forgot.
also im in the same boat as fluffydeathbringer in that i played before the solstice update so i still havent seen any of that, looking forward to it!
also wow id forgotten how much the music in the game rules.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Man, I love OneShot. I remember playing the original non-retail RPG Maker version after that Game Jam and absolutely loving it, and checking out other (to this day still in progress) projects by the leads, and then not actually finding out until the Solstice update that they'd released a more full store version. And it was just still as endearing as I remembered.

Looking forward to revisiting this.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Niko is one of my favorite recent video game characters. I want nothing but the best for that sweet kid. :unsmith:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 2: The Goon's Pilgrimage

Let's meet a prophet...bot

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 22, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
thank you for putting SSLP updates in external links, really valid christmas

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

thank you for putting SSLP updates in external links, really valid christmas

It makes it worse on mobile, where things are automatically formatted to be readable.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Is SSLPtester not working for people? I've always thrown updates in there to not crowd the page. I can just post it directly to the thread if that's preferred though.

vvv that's a good idea! I'll do that going forward. Sorry if this update created problems!

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 10, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The best solution I've seen is to keep the current update in the thread, and then replace it with a link to the test poster when you add a new one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So this entire game literally is a journey to change out a dead lightbulb? Wow. I mean, I'm sure it'll throw some twists and kinks into the plot thread as we go, but as a basic concept that is pretty dang imaginative already.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

They got a lot of facial expressions out of a simple robot design.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Just finished this, hoping to see some secrets and details that I missed.

It was good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Niko the Neko?

I actually tried this out a while back, but oddly I found the environments to be a bit too large and tedious, taking away from the rest of the experience.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I played the freeware version of this and really liked it; looking forward to seeing what's been added!
Niko was male for me, but yeah, it's clearly a gender-neutral/pick your interpretation case a la Undertale's protagonist; whichever way Niko's a sweet kid and you better take good care of them, Christmas! :colbert:

Something that has always bugged me; I've never really seen anyone talk about this game much, but for some reason I keep seeing Niko popping up all over the place online, and random people using 3D modeled Niko as a VRChat avatar and suchlike

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

In case anyone's thinking of picking this up, Steam has OneShot for 40% off this weekend as part of a publisher sale.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ultrafilter posted:

In case anyone's thinking of picking this up, Steam has OneShot for 40% off this weekend as part of a publisher sale.

I've been lurking around watching for updates after this piqued my interest (good work OP :) ), I decided I shouldn't look anything up about the game since it seemed like the kind of thing that was really good but based around the first playthrough. Does it seem like it has enough replay value to be worth grabbing on sale if I'm not gonna do anything with it during the LP?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm definitely glad that I played through before seeing an LP. I'm not sure how it'd play after you've seen everything.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I assume Niko didn’t see the warning we got from the computer, but Prophetbot gave a more specific warning anyway.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 3: Engineer Silver's Mines

Now that we are done with exposition bot, there's an outpost behind it that needs exploring.

COMPUTER. EVIL.

Oh, phew. There's still no power to this place. Turning on power... may not be such a good idea now. Sure we won't get to advance, but also - no computers.

We found a note on that table. What's it say?

quote:

The use of a robot as our replacement head engineer seems unorthodox... especially the one responsible for last year's incident. I suppose they had to get her away from the city, but that doesn't make it easier to swallow for those of us who work here! I hope that man knows what he's doing. --Management

Hmm, interesting that the note taker gendered the bot. Maybe this is one of those ~tame~ robots we heard about?

There are two flyers at each corner back here. First the left one:

quote:

REMINDER TO ALL WORKERS: The rarest form of blue phosphor is found during the phosphor shrimp's spawn period. If you observe a pond with a bubbled-over surface, please contact management immediately! We will dispatch a harvest team ASAP.

Is... is this note implying that rare shrimp jizz is not only valuable, but so valuable as to require a worker to immediately tell their boss so it can be harvested? I'm not sure how to feel about this world anymore.

quote:

Five new positions available at the mines. Housing and other provisions are included upon hiring. First come, first serve.

Incidentally - first come, first serve is also the motto of the shrimp harvesting team.

...Moving on to the left side.

That's a sparkling box alright. there's also a note next to the box.

quote:

SELF CHARGING SOLAR BATTERY MODEL N-87 (One year warranty included). Simply place your self-charging battery in full daylight with the lens facing up. Charges in seconds, no external power is needed.

TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL: If the battery fails to charge, check to see if the lens on the front side has not been dislodged during transport. One charge cycle will last about ten days. If you notice a decline in the charge cycle within the warranty period, please contact the manufacturer.

We probably wouldn't have the best of luck contacting the manufacturer to just give us a backup battery, so better hope this one is good!

I wish I had something to pry it open with...

Oh hey! We've got that metal bar thing we found in that train car earlier. That should be able to get some leverage and crack this thing open.

We'll need to flatten it somehow...

Ah... well worth a shot! Hopefully we can find something that can flatten that rod for us.

Niko is standing in front of a note and then another poster on the right side wall. First up, the

quote:

1. A Robot may not injure a living person or, through inaction, allow a person to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by people, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I'm always glad when a piece of media just decides to go "You know what? So and so already established this and we're just gonna steal it."

That may sound sarcastic on my part but it's not, I'd rather media not re-invent the wheel and take time away from doing something that could actually be unique. You're not gonna make robots new, so move on to something that could be new.

Anyway, we just gotta take a look at that other poster and we can head on.

We found the map that prophetbot was talking about! It uh... looks like a child drew it. Is this map official? Either way, this world doesn't seem too big - so this journey shouldn't take too long.

We are done with the first room of the outpost. Every bookcase can be examined, but all they say is that they're dusty. The game likes putting a lot of objects that all say the same thing which keeps faking me out and thinking there's a secret hidden amongst them.

So we've got a weird machine over to the left and this note on our way towards it.

quote:

-able to provide power to all robots and machinery in the area via a large electromagnetic field. Maintenance efforts are quite high, as expected. We have provided customized backup cells for the few most important robots. Their electromagnetic fields are much weaker, and the signals are highly specific. In other words, these small cells can only charge one single-

The note cuts off there, but you can see where it's going.

I wonder what it does?

I can feel my hair standing up a little...

This must be one of those mini-batteries. Since prophetbot is the only one still around, it's gotta be for them.

Whoa, we must have found the generator for the area.

That's a big machine!

It doesn't seem to be doing anything, though... there's a rectangle-shaped hole in the middle.

Looks like something used to fit in here...

So this must be where the battery will go... we just need to find a way to open up that box and we can restore power to the area!

That's it for the outpost. Time to head out.

Not far down the railroad is this big building. While it kinda looks like a castle, it's actually a factory.

Abandoned Factory

A robot factory from the looks of things. There's nothing to investigate on the first floor (just niko saying the robots have no power), so on to the next floor!

As soon as we get here, we can immediately hear the loud sounds of the factory. There's still something on in here.

I legit love this portrait. :allears:

Moving over to the right side, and we find the machine causing all the racket.

It's a... press? I'm not exactly sure what this factory was for, but I'm pretty sure I know what we could use a press for!

Oh! This machine is still running!

Maybe I shouldn't stand so close to it...

Wh...what if my scarf got caught in there? And then it'll pull me in, and....

... not gonna finish that sentence.

This is why heroes shouldn't wear capes.

Ohh, but I don't wanna get too close...

That was scary...

Nice! And thanks to that press, we now have a crowbar! We already know what to use it on too...

This should open it... there's a little metal cube and some broken glass in here...

Looks like what used to be a machine part. It says 'Solar Battery' on the side.

While it is the item we were expecting, I'm not a fan of hearing about broken glass in there too...

:sigh:

Well, it said to charge it with the sun... so let's give it a shot.

It feels like we're on the right track, though!

Dammit! We're going to have to find a way to repair the battery. There was more land beyond the factory so we'll have to head back out there and try and find something to repair the battery with. But first, let me show off fast travel!

So here we are - in the middle of nowhere and I would like to be somewhere. Simply press the 'A' key and...

A menu pops up showing us everywhere you've been! Fast travel is certainly not a unique or new invention, but seeing it in a game that doesn't really have combat and is just about moving around and solving minor puzzles is just a godsend. There's definitely some times in Rakuen I would have really liked to just click a couple buttons and teleport rather than walk the whole world.

So starting at the factory and moving past it we come to...

... A horribly designed railroad, good lord. This area is called 'The Cliffs'. Likely because the area is supposed to be cliffs but just feels like the map creator used the smallest tile they had and went crazy with it for a bit.

Over on the right side is a dead end and a note.

quote:

Although the poisonous gas is highly localized to the vent zones, Barrens workers were still recommended to wear gas masks. These masks were mandatory around active vent sites, of course. As more and more of the workforce got replaced by robots, we found ourselves with a surplus of abandoned gas masks. It seemed like a waste to get rid of them all, so we kept a few for emergencies.

Ah, I remember there being an area that Niko couldn't get to because the gas was suffocating them. Thankfully, we should be able to find a gas mask and solve that issue.

Heading back to the main entrance - there are several pathways forward. Let's start with the one right in front of us.

A metal safe. Seems like it's locked with a 6-digit code.

Ooh! A safe you say? Clearly there must be some kind of valuables in there.

I don't remember seeing any 6 digit codes. What about you, goons?

Feel free to let me know if you did, but uh I sure didn't. Moving on...

We saw another note just above the safe area, let's see what that says.

...Oh. I uh... would like to forget reading this note.

Uhhh, anyway! There was a path that led to the outside ring that we didn't take. Would you like to know why?

That would be why! Did you think I was kidding about that one tile thing? I'm not a fan of this area!!

However, if we head north here...

Goons, there's something in the air here...

It hurts to breathe...

There's another area with the poison gas. We'll definitely need to come back here when we find the gas mask the game is not so subtly saying we're gonna find.

Interesting enough, you may have noticed that this time Niko told us that she couldn't breathe whereas last time - a narrator just told us that Niko found it hard to breathe in that area. One of the reasons I transcribed all the internal monologuing that happened in the first two updates is because... that doesn't happen once we are formally introduced to Niko. Instead of a narrator announcing what's going on, Niko is just gonna give their thoughts at any moment to us. It's a neat detail that can quickly get lost.

Continuing to explore the one tile maze cliff of hell...

quote:

With the mining operations going smoothly, materials are no longer our limiting factor. We will be able to build more resilient robots, both in body and mind. Specifically, the discovery of metal alloy 291 will likely allow the development of highly efficient circuitry.

That's a hell of a name for some miracle metal. The hard workers in marketing must have pulled an all nighter for that name! Hell, they could have just named it miracle metal and I would have been down for that.

We're out of the stupid cliffs! We'll have to go back eventually, but we can fast travel through the area so it's not like we need to navigate them again for any reason.

Eh? What's with all the clovers?

Aw, poor bot. Is this one more important than the rest? Why would they be amongst a field of clovers - black ones at that? More questions for when we can get the power back on.

Hmm, a random cabin out past the cliffs. Time to ransack it!

SilverPoint

[So, are you the "messiah"?]

That's what I've been told.

[I expected someone... taller.]

Look, the messiah factory was only producing one model that day. Be happy you got one :mad:

[Or at least someone that doesn't look like a kitten.]

[That's what you are, right? Some sort of cat?]

Nuh-uh!

I'm a person!

[You got the eyes of a cat...]

But cats walk on four legs!

While true, I'm pretty sure people don't have fangs or cat ears.

[Well, either way...]

[A child like you being the messiah... just doesn't feel right.]

But that robot back there says there's no mistake...

[I know.]

[...sigh.]

Jeez, don't be too excited about meeting the savior. Like gosh, hold back the enthusiasm!

[This is going to sound cold, but...]

[I honestly think you are better off just... leaving and letting the world die naturally.]

[The world has been falling apart for a long time.]

[This manner of decay... It's highly unprobable that the sun can fix it. You've already seen how bad it can get, right?]

We... haven't seen much of anything, actually...

And we can't really just leave...

[Then you must be headed towards the Tower.]

M-hm! It's where I'm supposed to put the lightbulb... er, sun, isn't it?

[Yes, at the very top. We know that the Tower contains a force that nobody could comprehend, and the power is strongest at the summit.]

Oh!

[Don't take my word for it, though.]

So meet Silver the hedgehog the head engineer. If you recall, there was a note that said the head engineer was a robot and, yeah you can tell in the dialogue because of the brackets and also their speech sound effect is the robotic one (robots make beeps during their dialogue scroll while humans make a typewriter sound). She's definitely not like Prophetbot was... maybe she's been tamed? Either way, she kinda comes off cold and aloof.

What's inside the tower?

[I don't know. Nobody's ever entered it before.]

[At least, nobody history knows.]

Then... who built it?

[Built?]

[As far as anyone can tell, it's been there since the beginning of time.]

Oh?

[He never told me if it went anywhere.]

That's all Silver says for now. However, we can explore her cabin area! We'll start with the note on the table.

quote:

Dear Silver,

I heard the news about the mines. I'm sorry... I can't imagine what you're feeling.

It's been two weeks... I know it must be hard, but maybe it's better that you came back... It's only a matter of time before the rowbots are recalled.

At least let me know you got my message, okay?

-Kip

A private letter? Who would just leave that lying around in their house on a desk when there's potential messiahs intruding on personal business?

Oh!

Sorry... I got curious...

... what is this thing?

[Back-up power cell. It keeps me functional.]

[The main generator for the Barrens ran out of power some time ago.]

[It could not even last a week without the sun.]

Sorry to hear that...

[All we can do is make use of the light we have.]

Hmm, there's a sparkly thing in that bookcase. Even though this really isn't our place... sparkly things in games MUST be investigated!

Ah... it's a screwdriver.

[You can take it if you want. It may help you.]

Oh! Are you sure?

[Yes. I have many.]

Thank you!

You're really gonna regret that when you need a screwdriver of a particular size! The menu description helpfully tells us that the screwdriver is a Phillips, in case you were wondering.

[I haven't played chess with anyone else for a very long time.]

Oh. Not even...

with the other robots?

[No.]

[Nobody in the Barrens have that capacity in their programming.]

[Nobody here is tamed, for that matter.]

Hmm, we still don't know exactly what taming is. I assume Silver is tamed? Or are they a special bot?

The only thing left to examine are the little lit up jars around the place. They are filled with those glowing shrimps. The one by the battery though...

And lots of tiny shrimp that aren't glowing... or swimming

[No way! I just refilled that two days ago!]

[Guess I'll make a trip to the shore later...]

That's it for Silver! We'll run into her again later. Time to continue on our journey.

Directly to the right of silver's house are the mines! Talk about living where you work. Let's head on in.

[The mines have been abandoned for a long time, I cannot guarantee that it's safe. If you must enter it, it is my duty to accompany you at least once.]

Oh, thanks!

Oh, well that was sudden. Silver immediately escorts us into the mine where we get to see this... electronic device right in front of us. Uh, what is it exactly?

There's a little gadget on the ground.

It looks kinda like a camera...

[What's left of a camera, anyway...]

[Probably even part of a robot, at one point.]

Oh...

[...or not. I don't know]

Silver owns, by the way. Let's continue on through the mines.

[Don't stand so close to the edge.]

Oh! Sorry!

[Without a vehicle, we can't proceed.]

Can't we walk?

[I can. But for you it's a safety violation. I won't allow it.]

...A safety violation!? What is freakin OSHA gonna do to stop us from trying to SAVE THE WORLD!? Give us a citation and a safety helmet?

What's ahead, anyway?

[It's a huge network of underground mines, the source of this world's metal and non-phosphor fuel. This is what propelled the world into the industrial age.]

So now it's lost forever?

[It has been for a while now. When the sun went out, the mines were the first to be abandoned amidst the intial panic. Even the robots have been all cleared out and repurposed.]

That makes sense...

[Though... there was one that always insisted on going back. I hope he's okay...]

Hmm, interesting. Well... I guess that's it for the mines.

Must've imagined it...

Sounds like there's nothing interesting down there anyway. While the trip was short, it was very productive - as we now have everything to turn the power back on. So let's go do that...

BONUS:

Jadecore posted:

IIRC, there's actually a Steam achievement for telling Niko to put the sun in the press. If that's how you get your kicks.

BisbyWorl posted:

Does Niko tell you off for it or does she actually break the sun and burn up your one shot?

You can get the same reaction from trying to use the crowbar on it. I wasn't gonna show it off because Niko doesn't like it, but since it got mentioned :v:

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 22, 2019

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I mean, I completely understand strictly adhering to safety standards around the cat kid with the lightbulb that will literally end the world if it breaks.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I love that Niko’s cat-people world has ordinary cats too. And that Niko doesn’t think of themselves as a cat-person, just a person.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
IIRC, there's actually a Steam achievement for telling Niko to put the sun in the press. If that's how you get your kicks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Luckily it's an LED sun, otherwise it would be way too hot to just carry around like that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Jadecore posted:

Does Niko tell you off for it or does she actually break the sun and burn up your one shot?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Niko strongly objects!

One of the things I liked most about this game - and the reason I'd recommend anyone here playing it themselves if they haven't yet - is that it really feels like you're building a relationship with Niko. You talk to each other a lot, and sometimes they really need your encouragement. I honestly felt proud of them when they braved the press to flatten that pipe.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

You can get the same reaction from trying to use the crowbar on it. I wasn't gonna show it off because Niko doesn't like it, but since it got mentioned :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I ended up picking up the game on sale and have played a bit ahead - turned out to be good timing if anyone else is on the fence, there's some cute and interesting stuff I was glad to see on my own before it came up here too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

unrelated to the lp i also picked this up from the sale and blasted through it all in one shot. everything from its aesthetic to its blend of narrative and metanarrative super resonated with me, especially a lot of what the narrative structured its story upon. I'm currently in art school and it was just super cool that Oneshot basically represented a fully developed version of a super personal project I'd been working on, so much that I couldn't help it and had to contact the creators about their inspiration for the game. I hope they're open to talking about that kind of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
This is probably one of my favourite games in the last few years. It's just too charming, and Niko is completely adorable. I played it post-Solstice, and that just improved things over the base game.
I'm looking forward to everything in this LP :allears: