Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 4: I rowbot

Exploring swamps and my documents.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh dear, the game is directly messing with the PC.

This is going to be one of those types of games, isn't it. :ohdear:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

really queer Christmas posted:

You can get the same reaction from trying to use the crowbar on it. I wasn't gonna show it off because Niko doesn't like it, but since it got mentioned :v:

Niko might hate it, but there's a Steam achievement attached to this (or trying to put the sun in the press), so if you're going for all of those you have to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had a dream just now.

Those were both pretty cute/meta moments that I enjoyed a lot. The latter in particular I had no idea about, it really does have an interesting feel, especially if the game's been addressing you personally all along.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah! Do you sleep during the night?

We go to sleep, usually.

But some people stay up and use computers!

Something about this exchange really tickles me. I think it might be Niko's expression as they say it.

In my playthrough I picked up on the "it's saved a file somewhere" idea straight away, but since it hadn't used the word Document yet, my first thought was in the game's Steam folder... don't look there, it has the entire game's assets uncompressed. Full of spoilers.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

i hope everyone is clicking the music links btw cuz this games soundtrack is really rather good

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 5: Silver's Lament

A robot with a heart of... well, some kind of metal.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 24, 2019

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Trying to climb one of the ladders in the dorms will cause Niko to refuse and say that they're scared of ladders, which I'm sure my nine-year old self could relate to.

If you examine the chess board again after that scene, Niko will tell you that it isn't dusty anymore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Poor Silver. :smith: We should return her amulet when we're done with it! :colbert:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The Gatekeeper's portraits are busted. Looks like you forgot tags on them.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Materant posted:

The Gatekeeper's portraits are busted. Looks like you forgot tags on them.

Crap! Fixed. This is why last minute changes are bad.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 6: Asleep in the Glen

We're off to the Glen!

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 27, 2019

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Also, for anyone who may have noticed, while putting together a future update that had two different recordings I noticed one of them looked blurry and hey - I had recorded the entire game in the wrong resolution! So if you had noticed screenshots or text looking off - those are now all fixed and updates going forward will be correct as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well hey, some folks looking forward to having the Sun back!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:3:
The game world art is fine, though sometimes a bit plain, but I really love the additional illustrations that pop up. Especially the use of glow and lighting. The focus on eyes that shows up in the game and in screen transitions, etc, is really nice too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/NightMargin/status/1209597445702930433

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 7:The Maize in the Caves

Let's go spelunking.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 31, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alula is the cutest. Just look at that portrait!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Alula is the cutest. Just look at that portrait!

Yup :3:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The PC fuckery this game does is great

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Did this come out before or after OFF? I remember something similar in that game, though no actual fuckery was involved.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OFF was 2008 and OneShot was 2016. There's a similarity in that both games draw a distinction between the player and the character they're controlling, but the tones are different to say the least.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'm curious. Are you able to sequence break that puzzle, and would doing so change what the computer has to say?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm curious. Are you able to sequence break that puzzle, and would doing so change what the computer has to say?

Yes you can, and ill show that (and other things) off later.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The funny thing is I literally only see my desktop right when I start up my computer or if I accidentally select the "hide all programs" option when alt-tabbing. Otherwise there's always something maximized, keeping me from seeing it. This puzzle would have been pretty confusing for me.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Does the game at least have the courtesy to change it back when the puzzle's done?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Materant posted:

Does the game at least have the courtesy to change it back when the puzzle's done?

Yes, although if you had any fancy wallpaper cycling on your desktop it will be unset.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It apparently also just doesn't work if you use Wallpaper Engine.

I've had this game in my library for a while now but finally decided to play it because of this LP. Fantastic game all around. Plus, you've already shown off a few interactions I missed along the way, so I'm curious how many more I didn't see.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 8: Birds of the Ruins

Adventures with Alula!

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 3, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And here's that flooded underground passage Calamus mentioned. As far as I know, there's no way to unflood the area so I assume it's just a red herring.

I'm pretty sure the flooded passage is that route to the sacred grounds you visited just after.

I had no idea Alula has so much dialogue! I always just brought her right back to Calamus.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How can you have a solstice when your sun is on a big tower?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 9: Big Refuge; 3 AM

It'll be a catwalk...

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 7, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This game is just so gosh-darned adorable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Messiah and elevator repair expert.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On Little Cat Feet is one of my favourite tracks in the game. If you haven't been listening to the music, at least check that one. It's particularly evocative.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Awww we can regrow the plant lady, that's nice :3:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 10: Elevator Hitch

On Little Cat Feet

So our objective is to repair this elevator and head to the surface of the Refuge. Once there, we need to head to the library. Seems easy enough, let's take a crack at fixing the elevator.

Hmm...

If it's been ripped out, how come there aren't any broken wires inside the empty slot?

Well, I'm no engineer, but...

It's powered by some kind of magnetic technology, I know this much.

Alright, so we'll need some kind of magnetic replacement then.

Do you think you'll be able to make that button?

Well, no pressure, kid.

I'll just... stick with my original plan for now... Time to kick the door again.

My foot hurts...

Alright, scratching kick the door off the list of things to try.

So there's now four directions for us to head in: two to the right, and two to the left. We're gonna start with the one closest to us at the start - the bottom right path.

Uh, yikes. The square things are just out in the open here. We still don't even know what's their deal. Are they evil? Do they even think? We just know not to mess with them.

And they're just everywhere! So many pathways are just blocked by them.

Ah good, we found a diner. At least we can get some food if nothing else. Only things of note are the dude behind the counter, that can on the ground, and a coffee pot though. Let's start with the barkeep.

Hello!

How come... there aren't any people here?

Normally cafes have a ton of people!

Yeah, it's a really slow day...

Do you think it's because the ground access elevator is broken?

So I've been told.

Or maybe it's because they keep undercooking the hashbrowns and have bad reviews on yelp. :colbert:

The city's infrastructure has been suffering a lot lately.

Skywalks and stairs breaking off left and right...

Now the only reliable way of transport are those elevators...

...Until now, anyway...

You know, the tall guy came in here earlier saying the same thing. He asked me if I've seen a button that says "ground" on it.

He looked pretty stressed, so I wanted to cheer him up...

I told him the only "ground" I've seen today is coffee grounds!

He um...

He didn't get it...

Well, I'm sure he's real stressed. I'm unsure why he's so stressed about the elevator but hey, we'll get it fixed for him.

I'm unsure why we need a coffee tin but sure, we'll pick it up I guess. A kernel of corn ended up being useful, after all.

It's nearly full!

There's also milk and sugar

I like both...

but not in coffee.

You... drink your coffee black?? drat, Niko's a hard kid.

That's it for the cafe. It was a short and sweet trip here, but we got... well something I guess.

Our next path is gonna be on the upper left hand side.

Indoors

Because this way goes to the apartments! This is the main area of the heights part of the Refuge. There's a bunch of little rooms for us to explore and some neat things to see.

The stairs lead to a door that's locked from the inside, so we'll have to keep heading straight for now.

If you see a light on in the door, that means the door is unlocked and Niko can go inside them. A handy tip for all those aspiring burglars out there as the same rule applies to real life. (Results may vary)

Nothing of note in this place except for the robot standing in the middle of it.

[Are You. An Intruder? Because If You Are... I, Model 8-XM Home Security Bot (TM) Serial Number 39232B839W4, Will Have To Report You.]

Look bot, no one likes a snitch.

Oh, sorry...

I... kinda just walked in because the door was unlocked...

Do you want me to leave?

[Scanning for Suspicious Activity...]

Well, I guess as long as I don't do anything bad...

[I Am. Still Monitoring You. Alert Level Has Been Set to Low.]

Don't worry! I'll be a good guest.

Yeah, we'll be a good guest... by LEAVING. :mad:

There's nothing else in there anyway as, thankfully, the computer is not turned on.

Hmm, back out in the hallway and there's a doorway to the south. Where does it take us?

A communal bathroom? These look like apartments and not dorm rooms but hey, maybe when you're trying to fit a billion people in one city extra room isn't a big luxury.

None of the doors lead anywhere (which we should honestly be thankful for in a bathroom), but there are those scissors laying on the ground in whatever that pile of debris is.

...on... a pile of hair? I don't think anyone's using it anymore, so...

A pile of hair? Who would just cut all of their hair on the bathroom floor and leave it and the scissors there? I'm unsure if this is a reference to something else, feel free to let me know.

Back out in the hallway and there's another unlocked door that's ripe for the pickings.

Oh hey, we found someone living here! What does she have to say?

...okay.

She was speaking morse code to us and to translate what she said, was "...........". Tragic stuff, can't believe the devs gave this one off character such a horrific backstory.

Is that... a big penguin doll?

Hello, penguin!

HELLO

:stare:

H-hello, penguin?

HELLO

:stonk:

Let's uh...GO.

Completing blanking on what happened for the past 60 seconds but hey look an unlocked door.

A robot AND a person in this room! We're slowly adding new things to these apartments.

[Hello. Would You Like To Play A Game?]

Oh!

Sure!

[What Game Would You Like To Play?]

Hmm...

Do you know rock paper scissors?

[Desired Difficulty Level?]

Huh?

[Desired Duration Of Turns?]

Uh...

[Please Set Your Timer.]

...nevermind...

How about... hide and seek?

[Desired Difficulty Level?]

Well... maybe not too easy?

[Initiating. Ruthless Mode. TARGET: LOCKED. YOU HAVE EXACTLY 14 SECONDS. START. RUNNING.]

:stare:

Uh... I think... we'll pass??

...I'm not sure if I want to play anymore.

Did they just reprogram some killer robot to be a child's toy or something?? Who the hell would make this?

Not really!!!

... Well at least *I* have fun with it. My parents are like, literally never home. But I don't mind! I'm used to it! Besides, I've got model C-WT 2nd gen unit 4E here to keep me company now! She still talks a little weird sometimes, but that's okay! She's learning!

That's a uh, mouthful of a name. And also does nothing to convince me that it's not a military robot you swiped and taught how to play rock paper scissors.

If I work real hard, she might even be tamed someday!

I keep hearing that word...

What, tame?

Mhm! Nobody's told me what it means yet...

That's just a robot thing! I can't really explain it, either...

Ah...

Well... we almost got an explanation for what taming is. Maybe someone at the library can help us out whenever we get there.

Now we've got two doors right next to each other to explore! Let's hope for no creepy penguins or killer robots behind this one.

...A goat?

...I think we found the culprit.

You've been to the Glen, right?

Yeah!

Everything's so green back there... I really miss it! My neighbor gave me some plants to cheer me up, but...

......I should probably get a muzzle for Betsy there.

Yeah uh, pretty sure Betsy got all the plants in here too. In case you don't remember, there was someone in the Glen who mentioned their cousin just moved to the Refuge. I think it's safe to assume this is that cousin. Too bad we can't tell them that, but it's not like we knew their cousin well anyway.

That was it for the other room, and this room just seems to have... a roomba?

I'm not sure what this is.

It's like a little car!

It looks like some kind of roomba. You know what you should do? Ride it.

What?

Um....

That's right, now we have a ride.

Unfortunately, we can't take it out of the room and there's nothing else in here to look at so Niko's ride will have to be cut short.

Well that was fun.

Hmm, there's some stairs leading downwards...

And another door with some plants outside of it. Let's check out the door first before the stairs.

That's... a lot of plants in here!

Is that... a man with a flower pot for a head?

Hello there!

You have a lot of plants!

I do! Grew all of these myself, y'see. Feel free to ask me about them!

Can a plant like grow other plants without it being weird? Because I gotta admit, having a potted plant for a head makes this seem weird.

Oh! You're a gardener, right?

Yup!

Do you... happen to have any dirt? For growing plants, I mean?

Yup! Do you need some?

Yes!

I'm supposed to plant this seed left behind by a plant lady...

...but the pot in the garden doesn't have any soil...

I see....

Here, take this whole bag!

Thanks!

Well, hey! Wasn't intending to take care of that yet but cool - dirt! We aren't going to head back there just yet anyway, as there's another step we are going to need to do first.

Most of the plants in our world tend to grow in The Glen. Even if it's facing the flooding issues, it's still in better condition than the other two areas. The Barrens is... well, the barrens. And Refuge city has barely enough ground to stand on, let alone grow stuff!... On a larger scale than this, I mean.

I get it!

Is this the best Niko portrait? I say yes, let me know if there's a better one (the wtf is also pretty choice).

Probably the only plant hardy enough to survive naturally outside the Glen. Personally? I think they're really boring to look at. One of my customers really loves them though. I think all of the black clovers I'm growing here are for him, actually... come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while. I wonder when is he coming to pick these up?

Hmm, a guy who really loves clovers huh? Enough to maybe put it as the insignia on a strange journal? We seem to be finding out more clues about this guy but are also no further to finding out his identity.

Cactus.

Cactus.

Cactus.

Oh! Like the ones we saw in the glen! I always wondered... where are the leaves?

They're not... dead, are they?

Oh, not at all! Although these trees are composed of a woody tissue, they're closer to grass, anatomy-wise.

...so the branches are actually leaves?

Sorta! What's interesting about these plants is the amount of phosphor sap they can generate.

Phosphor... that's the glowy stuff, right?

Yup! Phosphor can store light energy and slowly emit it over time. Most of the phosphor from this world still contains energy from before the sun went out. Without the sun to recharge them, though... well, let's talk about something else.

So the phosphor plants and animals are basically an hour glass and once they die out/run out of phosphor - the world is officially dead. Thankfully, that won't be a concern since we are gonna save the world!

Why is it in a flowerpot?

Well, doesn't it look nice?

I guess! I like to stand in the middle of the wheat field back in my village.

It goes on for miles!

Ah... I wish I could have seen it! In our world, wheat is usually only grown in small isolated plots.... or in a flowerpot.

Ah yes, true foliage is hard to come by nowadays. You hardly ever see trees like these in the wild anymore. And the ones you do see are pretty much all raised artificially by people like me, mostly for nostalgia purposes.

And finally, there were some plants by the door.

These plants have only recently sprouted. It's not easy for a plant to make it out there these days. We've got these growing lamps, but they're a poor substitute for the sun!

Well if it's the sun they need, then we're on the case! For a sentient flower pot, Mason has a lot to say! I'm unsure if we find out their name in game, but the name in the files is Mason. Similarly, the guy at the elevator is called either "Lamplighter" or "Plight". The cafe worker? His name is Ling, another person that goes unnamed. I'm unsure why this area has so many people that have names only in the files but now you know!

Alright! Back out into the hallway and down those stairs we go.

Seems like we found some kind of common area.

...Why does that person have a TV for a face?

Hey there.

Hello.

You the messiah?

Mhm!

.... I like your scarf.

Thank you!

Mama made it for me!

Tell her I like her needlework.

I will!

...when I see her again.

Aww, don't worry Niko. That shouldn't be too much longer, right?

Heading to the left side of the room and there's a bunch of refridgerators and some sinks. I don't see any ovens or stoves here so I'm really confused what kind of area this is besides like a snack den or something. But do you know why this area truly exists?

Maybe they'll come in handy? I hope nobody will mind us taking them.

That's right - this place exists for us to get some magnets! This is the final piece of the puzzle we need to get the elevator working again! How you might say, there's still 2 paths left to clear?? Well, watch this!

If we take the scissors and the coffee tin together...

Oh! Maybe we can make a button out of this!

I can cut out a piece of the can and fold it into a rectangle shape... Just like arts and crafts! I don't think it's supposed to be this simple though. How are we gonna connect it to the elevator?

Patience Niko... we've got our "ground" button! Now we know the elevator's button is magnetized... so that's why we have the magnets!

Oh! What if I just folded the magnets under this edge?

Hmm... It's holding together, if just barely. I... hope that's good enough!

And that's all we need to do! We've got our ground button, and it's magnetized! Time to stick that bad boy on and skip through the rest of this area!

The button fits snugly, and...

I think I hear the machine powering on!

The button completely fell apart!

Hey, you tried.

:sigh:

Ok, so that's not it. There's still one more step to go before we can continue on.

Though not doing the last step before trying gives you the "You tried" item, which is just the best. You can even show it to the lamplighter.

:allears:

Okay okay, let's head up to the top right spot to actually finish the puzzle this time.

...Why does that woman have a clock for a face? What is it with the people here having things for faces? Just have human faces please! Or bird faces. Or Cat faces!

Good morning... Well, the time of day doesn't really mean anything now. With the sun gone, the night never seems to end.

Then... How can you tell?

Time, I mean.

The answer is as clear as the clock on her face, Niko.

I have my ways.

Your time here is precious. Please, do cherish it.

I will!

Yeah Niko, I'm guessing you aren't going to be able to come back here once you go back home. So enjoy this trip! Maybe try thinking of it as a vacation to a far away place? Even if it's a little bit more stressful than regular vacations anyway.

So what we want to do is head into this room, because see that on the table? That's right - tape! The middle aged dads solution to every problem. There's also a note on the table, it's been a while since we've seen one of those! What's it say?

quote:

They are just bolted so people won't steal them. Feel free to use though!

How considerate stranger! We just need a little bit of tape.

Oh, I could hold it together with tape.

I should've done this in the first place...

Look, how was I supposed to know that the button wouldn't hold together?? It seemed really logical to me for magnets to stick to something that has no adhesive whatsoever!

Ugh, whatever. There's only a robot left in the room so let's talk to it before we head back.

[DO YOU HAVE AN ISSUE TO REPORT?]

Yeah, actually...

The surface access elevator appears to be broken! There's a button missing, and... can you go take a look?

[...]

[LEAVING THIS ROOM IS NOT IN MY PROGRAMMING.]

Ah, nevermind...

The most single use robot ever to exist. Though the power generator for the Refuge is probably incredibly important so yeah, I guess assigning a robot for here is a good idea.

Alright! Time to head back to the elevator and turn it on!

Before we do turn on the elevator, if we talk to the lamplighter again... he says:

I'm losing so much time... Probably 21 minutes of work already.

Specifically, that 21 minutes is a count from the time you start trying to fix the elevator. It's a neat little thing that shows how much of a, uh, workaholic the lamplighter is.

Now then, for the elevator!

But better safe than sorry, right? You don't want it to break on ya.

We aren't failing this twice!!

Let's hope this works...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???

[PLEASE INPUT SECURITY CODE TO CONTINUE]

...What?

That's... never happened before.

The... squares?

Huh?

You saw them, right?

They were on the door, and...

I meant the whole "security code" thing. But then again, the elevator hasn't been this broken before...

Hmmm....

I guess we should go look for a code, Goons!

:sigh:

So close to being on the surface. There was a part of the level that we haven't seen yet but did get a sneak peek at just a little bit ago. We'll need to head back to where the Watch face guy was, but first...

Anything at all?

Being so unproductive for so long... it's really getting to me...

I think the Goons and I have it handled!

What do you think, Goons?

Oh yeah, we're gonna get him to try random codes.

Maybe you can just try out some numbers until you get it...

Alright, I suppose that's better than doing nothing. Let's see, 0-0-0-0-0.

[ACCESS DENIED]

Oh yeah, we're seriously doing this.

[ACCESS DENIED]

Hmm, that's gonna take a while. We should probably go look for another way of doing this if he's gonna try literally every combination until it works.

Where we need to go is back over to the Watcher (That's his name [lalalalala]) and head down this door that we've been ignoring till now.

Countdown

Mostly because it's pretty empty, also because it's dark and spooky.

Going up the stairs leads us to uh, this locked door and this incredibly foreboding environment. This uh, feels like a room for a final boss to be quite honest.

I think it might be a door or some kind of vault.

There's a small screen here, in the middle.

This is a special room but uh, there's nothing we can do about it right now. We'll be back here much later on.

Until then, we're going to head up the stairs real quick.

Sonder

Wow, we've reached the top of a skyscraper...and get a load of the view. I feel like the game's art has never really been truly what makes it stand out, but the artworks and setpieces like this have worked really well.

We can actually walk around up here by going in any direction, but there's nothing of importance until you circle around back to the stairs... well, I say nothing of importance, but you do get a couple little scenes.

Wow....

...I've actually never been to a big city before! All these lights... all these people... I guess most of this world's population lives here...

In between each scene you have to walk in whatever direction you chose for a certain amount of time (like 10 seconds) so, to stay true to the game, this sentence should take you 10 seconds to read before seeing the next scene.

The village is very small, and surrounded by huge fields!

You saw a bit of that in one of my dreams from a while ago...

The tallest buildings in our village are only two stories tall!

What about you, Goons? Where do you live?

Feel free to shout out where you live, though I understand why you may not want to. I live in a city now, but I spent most of my life in what can be described as a rural village with a population of 500 people. While I definitely prefer the city, I won't lie that starry filled nights are just really beautiful to me and the city life takes that away.

You live in a city? Like this?

Wow...

I can't imagine living in a city...

Must be exciting!

And.... kinda scary.

The view is nice though!

Eh, it just means the grocery store and your job isn't a million miles away but there are a million people in between you and those places.

And that's it for the skyline view and any content from up here! It's not much, but I always enjoy the little scenes with Niko. Next you might be asking, well if that's it then where do we find the code? Well, I skipped over a little junction to get to here. Where do we find the code?

...Right here.

A God's Machine

[Take this film and expose it to the void. The answer will be revealed when you bring it back again.]

The computer printed out a strange transparent sheet...

Uh? Yo, computer, what the hell are we supposed to do with this? How do we expose this to the void? Even if I'm more savy to the game doing weird poo poo with my actual computer, I don't have a void button.

[Still clueless? Figures. There's a void beyond the four walls that bind our world to yours. The edges of your viewport, where everything is obscured... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Pass the film through the void and back again.]

The edges of my viewport? You want me to somehow get that film out of the game?

[You are testing my patience. When you view the film, it fills your entire window into our world, yes? I believe you refer to the action I describe as "dragging". The void is beyond the borders of your view. Through the void and back again...]

I am not going to lie, I still had no idea what the hell the game was talking about at this point and it took me nigh on forever to figure this out. This was the point I began diving into the game files to see what I needed to drag and drop to make this puzzle work. And I really overthought it at some point. I, no joke, thought I was going to need to actually print the game window out and view it to find the code. So what do you do?

Easily one of my favorite video game puzzles to date. It's really obvious in hindsight too.

We've got our code now! We are done with the elevator area, let's head to the ground floor!

Also, the lamplighter is still going at the codes. He tries a new code every second, so this is another timer working with him. But also, that means, theoretically, Lamplighter can guess the correct code - 63014. But it will take him, 63,014 seconds which is 1,050.23 minutes or 17.504 hours! So if you don't mind waiting that long, you don't have to talk to the computer.

As much as I want to leave my game on for 17.5 hours for Lamplighter to get it... we've got poo poo to do and a world to save.

Puzzle Solved

It works! I don't know what you did but it actually works!

Good job, kid. You're a genius, you know that?

Well, I had help from the Goons too!

...Oh right. The whole messiah business.

Anyway, ready to go? I'll be up ahead.

I'm having trouble staying awake, Goons. We should find a place for me to take a nap...

Oh, yeah this has been a really long update hasn't it? Let's go find a bed for Niko. If you've already seen where the bed is, Niko will point it out for you again. The bed is in the final path we never looked down - the bottom left.

Let's let Niko sleep and catch up with them next time.

See ya'll next time!

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I love that the game lets you attempt to put the elevator button back together without all the parts. That's a great little scene. Plus the fact that you literally make a button that reads "GROUND". :allears:

You have a busted URL when you link the Countdown track, and the girl in the room with the "killer" robot has one bad portrait.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yay I'm so happy this is getting a Let's Play. It was criminally overlooked.

Easily one of my favorite games of the past decade.

For those that didn't play through Solstice, you've really only experienced half the game.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I love that the game lets you attempt to put the elevator button back together without all the parts. That's a great little scene. Plus the fact that you literally make a button that reads "GROUND". :allears:

You have a busted URL when you link the Countdown track, and the girl in the room with the "killer" robot has one bad portrait.

Gah, fixed! Longer updates means proofing is more important and also something I hate doing, since I've spent so much time on it I just want to move on.