Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There really should be an option to make Niko choose for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

C'mon, kid. Time to go home.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I'm gonna be honest: for me, this was the point where OneShot lost its goodwill. I did not take kindly to having a bullshit sadmaking choice imposed on me out of the blue (nor is this the first video game to have done so) and frankly, reliving this moment through the LP I find I'm still a bit raw about it.

In my game I made a decision, because nobody was going to make it for me, but here I will abstain as a form of meaningless protest.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Smash the sun. I chose the other way in my playthrough and I want to see what happens.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

We can't give up. You'll go home, wake up in your own bed like it was all a dream... but will it ever sit right with you? Giving up these people's hope for them? There's got to be chance for something better, for them and for you...

Return the sun.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Smash the sun

I returned the sun when I played, and want to see what happens when you take the selfish option.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Niko is a good kid. Emphasis on kid

Smash it

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Break the Sun. Selfish would be to encourage a child to suffer for the sake of narrative satisfaction.

Although the effect of your choice (at least as far as we understand it at this point; I haven't played it) is ultimately completely different, it reminds me of The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Break the sun. :black101:

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

HardDiskD posted:

The world is on its way out, and as we've been hearing, the world will still live on borrowed time. Also, I'm not sure it's fair to Niko to trap them here.

Losing this world will be a great shame but I care more about Niko than it.

Return Home

:ohdear:

My thoughts exactly. Return Home

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

NIKO SMASH

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
There is yet hope. Let us return the sun so that we can find a way to return Niko home, as well. I don't believe this binary choice will be the end.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Pretend like you're going to return the sun but then "accidentally" fall over and smash this sun into a billion pieces. You only get one shot at that kind of high-quality goof.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Time to go home, Niko.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Return the sun. Staying in this world won't be that bad, really. There are friends. There are pancakes. There's a library with books to read. When Niko's old enough they can marry a sexy robot like Silver or Rowbot. Hell, I'd take Niko's place just for the unlimited free pancakes.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Mechanical Ape posted:

I'm gonna be honest: for me, this was the point where OneShot lost its goodwill. I did not take kindly to having a bullshit sadmaking choice imposed on me out of the blue (nor is this the first video game to have done so) and frankly, reliving this moment through the LP I find I'm still a bit raw about it.

Yeah, I'm not liking this at all either. I hate games doing this as well. There had better be a way out.

That said... Return the sun. If Niko goes home they're never going to be absolutely sure this was a dream and they shouldn't spend the rest of their life haunted by thinking that they might have done something terrible.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
when I first played this game, iirc this legit took me like 20 minutes to choose. I like to "roleplay" as a god-like figure in this kind of game rather than just make my own decisions (if that makes sense), and I went through a whole inner narrative thing where I tried to approach the problem from different angles, debate with older made-up gods higher up on the hierarchy, and even look up what would happen ahead of time (I found nothing). I decided on returning Niko home back then, and I still do. my final conclusion was that the world's dying anyway, but Niko was never supposed to be here. our responsibility was never to the world. it was always to Niko.

also, not to get too invested and yell at people for playing a video game wrong, but defending the choice of trapping Niko here with "well they're going to be haunted by this even if they get home" is just shallow. is it preferable for them to be haunted by a lifetime of separation from their family and home, then?

(oh and the extra touch of all the avatars in that conversation was cool and I'm flattered mine was on there too)

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Return the sun.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
X

Press B

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

also, not to get too invested and yell at people for playing a video game wrong, but defending the choice of trapping Niko here with "well they're going to be haunted by this even if they get home" is just shallow. is it preferable for them to be haunted by a lifetime of separation from their family and home, then?

Yes. Missing people who as far as you know are alive and well is preferable to guilt over killing people.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I view it this way: the sun's not going anywhere if we return it, but if we smash it now, there's no going back. We don't have all the information, but we can follow through at any time once we're better informed. Return the sun.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Return the sun.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Smash the sun.

If they feel guilty about it later, they can always remember that it was our decision and not theirs.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Materant posted:

I view it this way: the sun's not going anywhere if we return it, but if we smash it now, there's no going back. We don't have all the information, but we can follow through at any time once we're better informed.

This. We're flying on very little information and half of it comes from a figure who has been actively deceptive.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Materant posted:

I view it this way: the sun's not going anywhere if we return it, but if we smash it now, there's no going back. We don't have all the information, but we can follow through at any time once we're better informed. Return the sun.

This is my view as well. Return the sun!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
There isn't really a good option here, obviously. But I'm going to give the logic that I went with when I first encountered this choice, thinking back on the events.

This world, as it stands, is ending. And not just because of the sun. The computer entity is creating glitches and squares and death throes across the land, and clearly wants this all to end. Nothing we've seen seems to suggest that returning the sun is going to fix THAT. It sustains the world by giving it new light, but that's just more borrowed time for squares to encroach, for people to gain hope that will easily just fall away. It's completely unclear how much time there will be. But the world's still going to end, and not in a very nice way.

And Niko would still be here, stranded from her family and home, someone utterly wonderful who didn't ask for any of this and otherwise could have survived.

Smash the sun. You can argue for days about the morally right choice from different viewpoints. My own ideas of what's better in this scenario can change from time to time, but this is what I picked when I ran into it myself. And if returning the sun wins out, that's a completely legitimate answer too.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Here are the current tallies with about a day to go:

RETURN HOME: 13

HardDiskD ,Arcanuse ,Ultrafilter ,Vauron ,Slaan ,Qvlvaran ,BisbyWorl ,SweatyGear ,Regallion ,Trick Question ,Jade Rider ,fluffyDeathbringer ,Jadecore

RETURN THE SUN: 12
SSNeoman, TooMuchAbstraction, Mzbundifund, neopie, theblackw0lf, GeminiSun, Lynneth, ArchWizard, Black Robe, Night10194, idhrendur, Amidiri

That is incredibly close. I didn't think it would be that close to be honest.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
RETURN THE SLAAAAABBB- I mean Sun.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Return the sun

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Return the Sun

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

In fairness, I watched a different LP of this before playing it myself, so I have no idea what my actual choice would have been, or my rationale for it. (In my actual playthrough, I think I just picked the opposite of the LPer.) I just picked 'return the sun' here for my own obscure reasons and tried to very quickly write an IC-ish justification. :U

GeminiSun fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 26, 2020

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
That's very close. Return the sun.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
RETURN HOME

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Return Home. We don't know what's going to happen to Niko if they return it. The sun doesn't seem to work without them nearby.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

By the absolute slimmest of margins, 16 voted to return the sun & 15 voted to return home. We will be telling Niko to return the sun.

To answer our thread title - it took 16 goons to screw in a light bulb.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I wanted to see new content but not like this :(

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 17: ...To save the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSvOUKmvU4

And that's the end! The LP is not over, as there are some post game stuff to wrap up and then the Solstice run. But January was such an absolute rear end in a top hat to me that I've not had a single moment to work on the LP since the holidays. So we're going on a short break. Hopefully it won't be too long. Thank you to all who voted!

Final Tally:

RETURN HOME: 15

HardDiskD ,Arcanuse ,Ultrafilter ,Vauron ,Slaan ,Qvlvaran ,BisbyWorl ,SweaterGear ,Regallion ,Trick Question ,Jade Rider ,fluffyDeathbringer ,Jadecore, azsedcf, Tenebrais

RETURN THE SUN: 17
SSNeoman, TooMuchAbstraction, Mzbundifund, neopie, theblackw0lf, GeminiSun, Lynneth, ArchWizard, Black Robe, Night10194, idhrendur, Amidiri, Mraagvpeine, TheCog, Eopia, inflatablefish, Materant

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 14, 2020

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Huh. You missed my vote. Not that it would have mattered, since I voted to return the sun.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Quick correction, it's SweaterGear. Like a nuclear equipped walking cardigan.

Thank you for showing off this game! It was heartwarming and sad the whole way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, normally when a game has the choice of sacrificing the protagonist to save the world, it's a pretty clear-cut choice. Of course sacrificing yourself is the right thing to do. But this is where Oneshot really shines, because the protagonist isn't you, it's an innocent child that you've spent the whole game building a relationship with. Now it becomes a trolley problem - do you sacrifice one innocent to save many, even when the one is your friend and your responsibility? When the others are only going to suffer differently?

I'm sorry, Niko, but I could never ask you to return the sun. You should have gone home.