Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
oh, nice! thanks for doing this. I loved this game when I played it a year or two ago, and it's great to get a chance to experience it fresh again. didn't know it got an update, so the new content'll be interesting to look forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

thank you for putting SSLP updates in external links, really valid christmas

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

when I first played this game, iirc this legit took me like 20 minutes to choose. I like to "roleplay" as a god-like figure in this kind of game rather than just make my own decisions (if that makes sense), and I went through a whole inner narrative thing where I tried to approach the problem from different angles, debate with older made-up gods higher up on the hierarchy, and even look up what would happen ahead of time (I found nothing). I decided on returning Niko home back then, and I still do. my final conclusion was that the world's dying anyway, but Niko was never supposed to be here. our responsibility was never to the world. it was always to Niko.

also, not to get too invested and yell at people for playing a video game wrong, but defending the choice of trapping Niko here with "well they're going to be haunted by this even if they get home" is just shallow. is it preferable for them to be haunted by a lifetime of separation from their family and home, then?

(oh and the extra touch of all the avatars in that conversation was cool and I'm flattered mine was on there too)

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2020

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

I wanted to see new content but not like this :(

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

I have a harder time caring about Silver or Niko because the game just went out of its way to remind me they're not real.

Niko is explicitly a real person, though. they're in the virtual world because the in-game representation of the player needed a real person to make it run

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

I get the sense that the "we've actually been playing a game all along and deliberately used Niko to power it" twist is being used to its full potential yet? Niko finds out about it, calls us out for what he thinks our actions are, doesn't call us out when it's elaborated on, then keeps trusting our implicit guidance anyway even though we're told he's upset. we haven't gotten a chance to actually have a conversation with Niko about it; apologize, try to explain, establish what we-as-a-character think about what we've done. we don't know how he feels about us now. might've missed something here, but hopefully this'll be elaborated on in the future.

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

really queer Christmas posted:

That moment was niko thinking we were in control of the whole thing rather than us just being along for the ride. Niko thought we were the reason they got abducted from their home to pilot this thing rather than us just being some dopes playing a video game.

aren't we the reason they got abducted, since they wouldn't be here if we hadn't booted the game? we're not explicitly ignorant of know how the game works. could be that proto doesn't know enough to say, but since he knows all this other stuff it's not too far-out to assume he'd know if, generally, world machine distributers tell players what's up. and proto's response implies, to me at least, that we did know. I think people would generally still be sour with the player for loading the game in the first place even if they didn't mastermind everything

...oh, gently caress. now that I'm rereading that update, niko would've had to stay in the world even if we'd smashed the sun :smith: