Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, so we are a mysterious strike force attacking an enemy that appears to be present wherever we go around the world, fielding weapons and aircraft designed by many different countries, and our weapons of choice include cluster bombs and napalm.

Am I the only one wondering if the twist is that we are in fact the terrorists, and the enemies are actually the regular armies of various nations trying to get us to gently caress off and stop bombing them?

We work for Cobra.

Also

War crimes in 5 minutes or less, or the next one’s on us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Serious question, have we committed any war crimes yet? Or is just having napalm in stock a war crime?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HardDiskD posted:

Serious question, have we committed any war crimes yet? Or is just having napalm in stock a war crime?
Napalm and cluster bombs are both illegal under international agreements

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

All war is a war crime if you think about it

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
All war is a crime.

Sometimes you have to be gay, do crime in a jet carrying thousands of pounds of explosives.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love this game's stupid difficulty level, varying from extremely easy to no room for error or you die

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are international agreements banning cluster munitions, but it's entirely voluntary, and a number of countries never signed on- China, the U.S., and Russia among them. Which isn't really surprising, just another lovely thing that can get in line.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FlamingLiberal posted:

Source for the napalm ban? I'm not aware of any international agreement that prohibits the use of incendiary weapons against military targets.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I just started playing the MicroProse F117 game, and I found it to be still pretty decent. I use the Lockheed version only*, since there's little reason to play such an old flight sim aside from the stealth mechanic. The radar detection makes it pretty fun to sneak in, strike a target and then do your best to get out without being caught. It's also notable in that you can tweak the setting from 'cold war' up to 'conventional war' and thus deal with more variety in how much everyone is aware of or wants to kill you, and to some extent vary the consequences of doing the wrong thing. Its biggest problem, aside from the 1990s-era flight model, is the enforced 4x time accel, since it makes landing a big hassle (to be fair you can disable crashes if you want).

*Reading the manual, there's a strong sense that they included the 'Microprose' model because that's more or less what they had done in F-19, the game they made when the 'stealth fighter' was still classified.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ouch, there's a nostalgia trip. F-19 was the first game I ever played and I'm still amazed that being a kid of six with zero understanding of English I still managed to finish missions, recognize what missiles kill what (to this day I have no idea how to aim bombs in that one) and destroy the targets - but I never once managed to land the goddamn thing. After some attempts I just started considering the missions done when over the airport and finishing them with a spectacular Shift + F10.

TBH, finding out the F-19 wasn't real hit me more than the local equivalent of the Santa Claus reveal.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kangra posted:

I just started playing the MicroProse F117 game, and I found it to be still pretty decent.
It's also got the best manual-based copy protection: identify a plane in the picture. You're supposed to use the reference, but if you're a plane nerd...

Today OGF explores new ways to make its missions suck.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Odd choice with using the A version of the JAS-39. But I guess the game is old enough that the C version wasn't a thing but I doubt it.

Also yes, "Skott" means shoot. Interesting choice with using a Swedish language HUD.
..."Lycka". Wait what? :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Odd choice with using the A version of the JAS-39. But I guess the game is old enough that the C version wasn't a thing but I doubt it.
JAS 39C is in the game. To get it you have to start a NG+ run, and beat... that exact same mission.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

JAS 39C is in the game. To get it you have to start a NG+ run, and beat... that exact same mission.

:thunk:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

That's one more plane they can boast about!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that's pretty much it.

Also the comment about the Russian HUD made the realize why the Gripen one said Lycka. Because that was obviously the first translation result they got for Success. And much like the Russian one it doesn't work. Not sure why it didn't just say hit.
Also "Skott" is also used incorrectly in that case, the right one would be "Skjut".
I vaguely remember ACAH having a proper Swedish language hud for the Gripen but I can't remember how it was. No idea if AC7 had it or not.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Nice to have Kermit the Frog back from the last game.

Also, Nicaragua is not Mexico.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

Also, Nicaragua is not Mexico.

This universe is pretty weird tho...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I feel that Over G was an experiment in loving up every single type of popular flying game missions.

At least we don't have to fly through rings.

That was the original EA tutorial.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to admit to something - I thought the flashing red 'BAD' on the top right of plane names in the aircraft selection screen was something you added in as a joke about planes you hate up until this video.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SDBs seems like a good take considering they're guided glide bombs. Shame the game doesn't take that into account and just make them dumb bombs.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
What would really be nice for those buildings would be some GBU-31s, nothing breaks down barriers like a 2000lb bomb!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So how exactly this is this shadowy military industrial complex enemy force getting aircraft carriers

Also where are all of these pilots coming from

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All remotely controlled by children that think they're playing some lameass flight sim.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Zanzibar Ham posted:

All remotely controlled by children that think they're playing some lameass flight sim.

The worst ripoff of Ender's Game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is it me or has the voice actor for general noname started changing within the briefings?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Is it me or has the voice actor for general noname started changing within the briefings?
I definitely heard it too, for a couple of lines

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Top-notch voice acting, exciting but fair missions, and good localization - who needs them?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

THE TRUE ENEMY!
True Victory!

I'm pretty sure the ranks are time based and not how much you kill. So to S rank you essentially need to fly an SR-71 missile truck zipping all over the map instantly and hitting targets with pinpoint precision.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe that SR-71 bumped into an invisible wall and bounced off?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 20, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It took me a second to realize that the globe wasn't super-incompetent and pointing to a location in North America as the "antarctic" - its just transparent. You win this round Over G Fighters!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ace Combat has superweapons, what does Over G have?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh wow, I haven't seen a final mission that bad since HAWX 1.
Hell, the sequel even realized that and had you dodge space lasers while shooting down ICBMs.

Also turns out I had heard voice clips from this game ages ago:
http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/overgfighters/index.html
Also has a couple of lines we didn't hear during the LP.

What's annoying is that I think I know of some other badly voice acted flight sim game but I have no idea what's called other than it has a voice line of someone going "I got it, I'll shoot, shoot and shoot".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I guess the final twist is that the briefing guy's name is Graham?
Got nothing. Nothing happened. There is nothing to say.

e: There actually is a tradition of lovely PC ports sheltered by Ubisoft - the original Resident Evil 4 PC, for starters.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 25, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad you can't unlock Steelmace as your wingman, hear his philosophical soliloquy after the final mission.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm sad we didn't get to know Rear Pilot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't help but hear air quotes every time you say fun.

HardDiskD posted:

I'm sad we didn't get to know Rear Pilot.

We shall remember him alongside the RIO's in the canon F-14's from Ace Combat 5.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just finished binge-ing this. Where the hell did the MIC get all those battlecruisers? Were they going to have us destroy their secret antarctic shipyards but ran out of money before they could make the missions? I'm not sure why the gently caress else anyone would be down in the French southern antarctic territories other than hiding something massive.

Could they not get the game to hold more than ~10 objects in the map? I don't understand why the game is so empty.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Because the game is almost meant to be speedrunned, or at least played as fast as possible for the highest possible score.
Which if course clashes a bit with the realistic loadouts, but I guess it expects you to just get good with the gun or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did the wingman ever get a kill?