Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I think they might have gotten one during the last mission but I can't remember any other instance. They just seem to loop the same string of sentences regardless. Especially if you look at the second F117 mission where the wingman kept spouting all their lines despite not having any AA weapons.
Not to mention saying their gun got hit, twice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So does this game do anything to teach the average scrub how its combat systems actually work? Like I know that arcadey flight games like ace combat are unrealistic as all hell and as far as I understand, modern dogfighting consists mostly of hoping you spot your target before it sees you, lobbing a missile at it and then running away before they can do the same. But whether my understanding is correct at all, how the various missiles work, what all the different beeps and buzzes mean, and how to tell/what to do when somebody is about to fire at you are complete mysteries to me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did it come with a fat manual? I miss the days of hefty manuals to read while the game installed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The manual is fat because it explains how each of the HUD modes work (gamey HUD, not the real ones), spends two pages explaining what happens when you select a mission in the campaign, provides wingman profiles and all other poo poo like that.

It does not:
Tell you about each plane's special ability.
Tell you about different missile/bomb types.
Teach you anything about the radar quirks.
Suggest tactics other than 'dodge missile when it's close'
Elaborate on the warning sounds, though it does say that "Launch" means a missile's been launched at you, and that "Warn Fuel" means you're at 1/4 tank.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

"So, uh, guys, I noticed you've been burning up at a pretty high rate lately, and, uh, I think, yeah, maybe we should slow it down some. 'Cause I know we all like to have our fun, but if you burn up entirely it's gonna suck for everyone. So, uh, yeah."

What's the flight model like? Do the planes actually feel significantly different to fly? I assume they all have different top speeds (really? not even any instability?) and the like, but is there anything aside from weapons loadout and cockpit view to differentiate them?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kangra posted:

What's the flight model like? Do the planes actually feel significantly different to fly? I assume they all have different top speeds (really? not even any instability?) and the like, but is there anything aside from weapons loadout and cockpit view to differentiate them?
The power rating does make a difference: the F-22 pretty much flies wherever you point the nose at.
Low power makes climbing hard. Low mobility makes inertia very noticeable in that canyon mission. The F-117 has poo poo stats and operates accordingly.

It's possible to stall, and then the plane goes all floppy and points downward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I loved that the game makes a big deal about the enemy sending F-35s at you and then they get killed really quick