Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

touching computers was a mistake, sometimes i wish i had instead touched self confidence and welding or auto repair or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
as someone who used to touch cars, i can say that it’s poo poo work op.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AJAB

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I’m the “computer guy” at the office :madmax:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

President Beep posted:

as someone who used to touch cars, i can say that it’s poo poo work op.
i only touch cars when my 96 mazda practically forces me to.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Oh hey its impostor syndrome: the thread.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
For real though, reading YOSPOS makes me feel like a dum-dum.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Catpain Slack posted:

For real though, reading YOSPOS makes me feel like a dum-dum.

im to scared to go to threads other than pure shitpost because i dont understand a thing there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

RustyKnight posted:

im to scared to go to threads other than pure shitpost because i dont understand a thing there.

i used to feel that way too. wouldn't step outside of cjs. you'd be surprised what people will tolerate as long as you're not a shitheel though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it' like people are talking about computer stuff i don't understand and i just bumble into the room and do some hosed up somersaults and poo poo and then kramer back out the door, off to the next thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yospos is a friendly, fun place, and as long as you're not a raging dickhole there's much fun to be had. for anyone branching out though, don't go OTT with the goofiness right off the bat--that's what i did and it can be off putting if ur a new face in a new place.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thx for all these words of wisdom op

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Yospos is great for me to read because I nearly moved into computer touching after my PhD.

Now I'm just chilling in academia for a couple more years, occasionally write scripts and basic flask webapps for co-workers who think I'm actually competent because no-one else has time to do anything other than lab work. it's p nice

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

who here knows about how to build databases asking for a friend

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Storysmith posted:

touching computers was a mistake, sometimes i wish i had instead touched self confidence and welding or auto repair or something

everyone always says welding but every welder i've met who's over 50 is blind in at least one eye and needs an oxygen tank next to them constantly or they'll die so i'm not so sure it's a great alternative

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

apt-get install postgres

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

you can just use graph paper to draw the tables and stuff, or you can buy special paper for accounting and stuff

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
sure are a lot of computer touchers in denial itt. oh it's just a few scripts it doesn't count yes it does

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gonadic io posted:

sure are a lot of computer touchers in denial itt. oh it's just a few scripts it doesn't count yes it does

"I just touch computers socially, it's not a big deal for me."

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i only touch computers to blow off steam with friends

*routinely wakes up in front of the keyboard covered in vomit and doritos dust from a late night code binge*

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
excel is the worst for this. starts with just an =SUM and ends with you hitting the nested formula limit with your =VLOOKUP(IF(HLOOKUP(AVG(MACHINELEARN(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yospos needs more hammocks and animals enjoying hammocks and less arguments about amber vs green, which are both bad

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gonadic io posted:

excel is the worst for this. starts with just an =SUM and ends with you hitting the nested formula limit with your =VLOOKUP(IF(HLOOKUP(AVG(MACHINELEARN(
excel is the only functional language that’s actually useful

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

excel is the only functional language that’s actually useful

serious question: excel has its own language?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

President Beep posted:

serious question: excel has its own language?

excel formulas are a programming language. i'm very serious.

e: yes you can dip into VBA which is a much more well known language but formulas on their own still 100% count

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 11, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

thank you. i'd just always assumed excel used some old bog standard query language thingy or something.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

one thing that's always hosed with me whenever i've tried to teach myself to code/write a script/whatever is keeping the damned syntax straight. and all of the languages do it differentely!

sql looks like this, but python looks like thiiisssss

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

President Beep posted:

one thing that's always hosed with me whenever i've tried to teach myself to code/write a script/whatever is keeping the damned syntax straight. and all of the languages do it differentely!

sql looks like this, but python looks like thiiisssss

the best part is when the language itself decides to change how it looks mid way through. looking at you python 3

but yeah there is no solution to this you just gotta learn em. although many mid-level langs like c#, java, etc are similar enough that if you know one you can probably read the others

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

but yeah there is no solution to this you just gotta learn em.

yeah, when it comes down to it I know it's this. i'll be steering the leaky ship that is my career more towards computer touching in earnest soon, so i'll just need to commit (myeslf. to an insane asylum. for clowns)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gonadic io posted:

e: yes you can dip into VBA which is a much more well known language but formulas on their own still 100% count

dont make me tap the topic again

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

rotor posted:

dont make me tap the topic again

sorry i will leave but i stand by my point about many here doing computer touching whether you identify as one or not

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

computer touchers are most welcome here. but it's also a friendly place for dinguses like yours truly to revel in their computer ignorance.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

computer touchers are most welcome here. but it's also a friendly place for dinguses like yours truly to revel in their computer ignorance.

you're the guy I talk to if I need to rename my neighbor's driveway to Dingus street, right

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

you're the guy I talk to if I need to rename my neighbor's driveway to Dingus street, right

go all the way and make it Dingus Blvd imo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

that’d be the county. i don’t have jurisdiction. :smith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

that’d be the county. i don’t have jurisdiction. :smith:

well, poo poo!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

remember when the duke boys just had to cross the county line and then the cops had to stop chasing them because they were out of their jurisdiction? that is sorta how i imagine what just happened there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

In this analogy, Cpt Foo is Boss Hogg, Pres. Beep is Roscoe P. Coltrane and Cpt. Foo's neighbor is the Duke Brothers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

townships in michigan dont have the same level of autonomy that cities and villages do.

like, we share dual jurisdiction with the county road commission when it comes to the public right-of-way, but the actual paved roadway is wholly their domain (we do non-motorized, water and sewer extensions, etc. but still have to follow their lead).

road funding, via act 51, is alotted to the county for us. cities and villages get that money directly.

this all being said it’s my understanding that lots of other states don’t really have townships-as-municipalities like michigan does, but have them wholly governed by the county, which in some ways is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no, you're supposed to throw your hat on the floor and stomp on it