Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
poo poo. poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it's ok we'll have plenty of opportunities to practice

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

rotor posted:

can we post here if we'd really rather not know anything about computers?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

who here knows about how to build databases asking for a friend

step one is to install microsoft access

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
the longer I live the more I’m convinced I know nothing and what little I do know seems to already be very dated.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
seriouspost: when i went back to school i chose computers partly because i would read yospos and get fascinated by whatever the smarties posted. years later im working my first computer touching job.

i guess what im saying is gently caress this subforum and everyone in it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya sounds p actionable op sue those who wronged u

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bored Online posted:

seriouspost: when i went back to school i chose computers partly because i would read yospos and get fascinated by whatever the smarties posted. years later im working my first computer touching job.

lomarf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bored Online posted:

the longest troll

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yospos being famously free of jaded computer toucher whining about their jobs

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
mothers, tell your children
not to do as I have done
spend your life in sin and misery
don't touch computers for fun

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean honestly it beats poo poo like my old job working in a warehouse, i just wish i didn't feel like i was actively contributing to the decline of western civilization every day from 9-5 is all

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like given the choice between mopping concrete and writing shell scripts i'll write the shell scripts but its a low fuckin bar to clear.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

i mean honestly it beats poo poo like my old job working in a warehouse,

i'd definitely rather be doing what I do now than working in a garage or a factory like i used to. fuuuuuuuck that poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the community likes me wtf like i’d be letting them down to an extent if i moved on with my life and got a job I don’t hate

tell ya what working in an industry that’s always doing worse than previous years, and in fact managing one of those small businesses.. sucks. it’s like, is it my fault? probably

i can’t even imagine what it’s like to work for a business where it’s like “we did good this year boys, you deserve to feel good about yourself” like lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

i mean honestly it beats poo poo like my old job working in a warehouse, i just wish i didn't feel like i was actively contributing to the decline of western civilization every day from 9-5 is all

no matter how many times the test suite fails inexplicably, my laptop never starts screaming obscenities at me. so its automatically better than the call center

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Bored Online posted:

lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bored Online posted:

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bored Online posted:

i’m glad that you felt comfortable enough to share this with us here. god bless and may you find peace.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bumping to encourage any friendly but computer illiterate lurkers out there to join in. i was once like you.

come in from the cold. it’s the holidays. treat yourself.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i like high level computer concepts, i found this article about microsoft word storing text very interesting and i love raymonds blog

i've learned from experience that actual programming is annoying

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

doing the dishes kinda bites as far as a job you have to get done goes, but once you’ve committed and you’re deep in the water, it’s actually a great job. they start dirty, they get clean. hands stay warm. doesn’t take too long. job satisfaction afterward is unparalleled

my grandma still does em by hand and we all pitch in at the holiday meal and it is pretty great to churn through what would be three dish loads in one five person washing and drying line in like 10 minutes. its pretty satisfying to see it all shuffle away in minutes in a fury of organized cleaning

President Beep posted:

bumping to encourage any friendly but computer illiterate lurkers out there to join in. i was once like you.

come in from the cold. it’s the holidays. treat yourself.

gather round the tbird by friends and warm yourselves with its copper core

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

sitting here watching people check in code over a broken build, daydreaming about a time when i touched computers only to play video games

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

my grandma still does em by hand

dish washers are the most extravagant, excessive gadget

it takes like 10 minutes or less to do dishes every day

the future is people realising dish washers are dumb, and then nobody buying them

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

the future is people realising dish washers are dumb, and then nobody buying them

how big is your family?

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
5 people. the things that take time are not plates and glasses but the pots and pans

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i do not program the computer op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:jerkbag:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

do you wash your clothes in a river too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actually dishwashers are amazing because they keep the bench clear of dirty dishes, even if it only existed as storage it would be worth it. dishwashers are far handier than say a drier

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

do you wash your clothes in a river too

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol if u wash your jeans though. yikes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I just keep my jeans in the freezer because I'm rich

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

when they get dirty I just buy a new pair

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bored Online posted:

owned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

what is with this anyway. wash clothes if they’re dirty

I deal with enough people who are poor or whatever and old clothes reek

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

what is with this anyway. wash clothes if they’re dirty

I deal with enough people who are poor or whatever and old clothes reek

it’s some old goon fad.

only freeze your jeans! wash your hair with olive oil! just eat jerky!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dishwashers use less water than washing + rinsing everything by hand

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sometimes I program a little. but it's really hard because the computer is very dumb so takes you very literally and does exactly what you tell it. which is a real problem when you're dumb as poo poo. because if follows you dumb loving instructions perfectly and then just sits there smiling and proud because it doesn't know enough to feel shame at what you had it do

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I used to get frustrated at the computer because the program wouldn't do what I wanted. but the computer was executing everything right and im just dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well no sometimes you tell the computer exactly what to do but the computer is just too dumb to understand you so.: the problem isn’t you