Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What was the best game this year, or hell, this decade? Post about what really hit you, imps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Witcher 3 is my current all time favorite. Writing, atmosphere, music, the detail in the world, if the gameplay were a bit better it would be the Perfect Game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I for one, loved Outer Wilds. Flying around in a space ship, discovering mysteries, confusing people into thinking I liked Fallout, and getting people really mad about the epic store, it all struck a chord with me.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Best game I played this year would be Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Might be my favorite jrpg ever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Witcher 3 is my current all time favorite. Writing, atmosphere, music, the detail in the world, if the gameplay were a bit better it would be the Perfect Game.

Settle this once and for all for me: should I play 1 & 2 first?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Probably Death Stranding OP. First game in a long while I couldn't put down until I finished it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Mania is my GOTD, it still makes me absurdly happy when I play it

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Settle this once and for all for me: should I play 1 & 2 first?

You don’t have to, but characters and storylines from previous games get advanced in 3. It all comes down to if you want to play technically worse games for the lore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorites of games that came out this year were RE2 remake, Pathologic 2, Death Stranding, Three Houses and Mario Maker 2. MM2 will continue to get updates and tweaks so I'll be playing for a long time.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this has been such a good gaming year. starting it out with REmake 2 was amazing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

In Training posted:

My favorites of games that came out this year were RE2 remake, Pathologic 2, Death Stranding, Three Houses and Mario Maker 2. MM2 will continue to get updates and tweaks so I'll be playing for a long time.

Pathologic 2 was the best impulse buy triggered by a gog.com email flier I've ever made.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Death Stranding for the year. For the decade, there's no way I could whittle it down between that, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and Hollow Knight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Pathologic 2 was the best impulse buy triggered by a gog.com email flier I've ever made.

I kickstarted it 4 years ago lol. I hope they get to finish the other 2 routes some day...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goty: sekiro. FROM really boiled souls down to its core mechanics with no RPG or multiplayer stuff, I was skeptical about such a big change-up but it ended up being a super badass game with a lot of great fights. im on my 4th playthru this year alone

game of the decade is an impossible choice... witcher 3, botw, tropical freeze, hollow knight, dq11, etc. too many amazing games. but it's probably dq11

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat how did I forget about Sekiro.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
decade is easily The Witness for me

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

GOTY: Sekiro
GOTD: Dark Souls

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

bloodborne, re2 remake, stardew Valley, ffxiv, dark souls,

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
game of the decade is mario galaxy 2.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You might be right

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

game I enjoyed playing the most this decade is wonderful 101

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Red dead 2 need i say more no I do not. Because an authentic southern baptist spiritual choir is standing behind me singing its praises as I ride my horse (testicles shrinking because its cold atm) into the sun set.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
10. Until Dawn
9. Nioh
8. Shadow of the Colossus (Remastered)
7. The Last of Us (Remastered)
6. Persona 5
5. Uncharted 4
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Bloodborne
2. Spider-Man
1. God of War

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

GOTY is Sekiro and is also a solid GOTD contender. I also enjoyed New Vegas, Bloodborne, Mad Max, DOOM, Stardew Valley, Breath of the Wild, MGSV because it’s an unfinished mess, Tekken 7, and Hollow Knight

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

You might be right

I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Bloodborne is game of the decade...no question

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

smash bros ultimate

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

that's clearly the best fighting game of the decade, bar nlne

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fargield posted:

Bloodborne is game of the decade...no question

I think Dark Souls is. Not just because it is a fine wine of gaming, but without it, we would not have had Bloodborne.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

I for one, loved Outer Wilds. Flying around in a space ship, discovering mysteries, confusing people into thinking I liked Fallout, and getting people really mad about the epic store, it all struck a chord with me.

This. Outer Wilds, along with Death Stranding and Dragon Quest XI, are the only games I've ever platinum'ed, because I loved them that much.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

3 way tie between bloodborne botw and witcher 3

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tao of lmao posted:

first reply got it right, close the thread

I'm not mad at the people who said The Witness or Dark Souls, though. I'd file them as honorable mentions with EU4, Dishonored 1/2, Papers Please, Return of the Obra Dinn, Frostpunk, Rocket League, Edith Finch, EXAPUNKS, DXHR, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Bad Company 2 [...]

The best 2019 game I've played is Hunt: Showdown, but admittedly I haven't had a chance to play Sekiro, Pathologic 2, Disco Elysium, Death Stranding, or Baba Is You.

e: I played botw this year and it was decent not great. wouldn't crack my top 20

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 10, 2019

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

this is the forum for encouraging deep thoughtful discussion, no need to rush to conclusions

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

10. Until Dawn
9. Nioh
8. Shadow of the Colossus (Remastered)
7. The Last of Us (Remastered)
6. Persona 5
5. Uncharted 4
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Bloodborne
2. Spider-Man
1. God of War

This

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not mad at the people who said The Witness or Dark Souls, though. I'd file them as honorable mentions with EU4, Dishonored 1/2, Papers Please, Return of the Obra Dinn, Frostpunk, Rocket League, Edith Finch, EXAPUNKS, DXHR, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Bad Company 2 [...]

The best 2019 game I've played is Hunt: Showdown, but admittedly I haven't had a chance to play Sekiro, Pathologic 2, Disco Elysium, Death Stranding, or Baba Is You.

e: I played botw this year and it was decent not great. wouldn't crack my top 20

Mine is but one opinion among many. All are good.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tao of lmao posted:

Mine is but one opinion among many. All are good.

this one isn't:

mysterious loyall X posted:

Red dead 2 need i say more no I do not. Because an authentic southern baptist spiritual choir is standing behind me singing its praises as I ride my horse (testicles shrinking because its cold atm) into the sun set.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

this has been an incredible year, I can't think of many years so full of great releases that I'd keep forgetting about DMC5 and Sekiro. GOTY might go to DQ11 because I never played it before and the Switch version is sort of a new game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this one isn't:

I think he's trolling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As for game of the decade stuff, 2012 was the first year i ever learned how to do a fireball motion in a fighting game and now i have multiple sticks and go to locals and waste afternoons sitting in practice modes for games ill never play learning bnbs. id have to give it up to Tekken 7 for being one of all the time best and one that still kicks rear end and gets updatees all the time. and under night for being my favorite to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

this one isn't:

That is called a joke, my friend.