Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've spent triple digit hours of my life listening to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvdmh0DcmA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its a good song

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tao of lmao posted:

That is called a joke, my friend.

enjoy being permabanned with the rest of the red dead 2 lovers in fyad you freak

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

enjoy being permabanned with the rest of the red dead 2 lovers in fyad you freak

you seem like a psycho dude

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Tekken 7 is a strong candidate for best fighter of all time

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

staring at a burning candle thinking about all the good games this last decade has brought us while listening to enya - only time saying a quiet simple prayer for each one that has brought its light into my gaming life smiling at the portrait of Saint Iwata-sama whispering thank you

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdMsX8wLUD4

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

drat, getting me real nostalgic now

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

herculon posted:

Tekken 7 is a strong candidate for best fighter of all time

They should add breakers revenge characyers to tekken

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Pls don’t bring this energy to the goty thread

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Settle this once and for all for me: should I play 1 & 2 first?

I think there are only like two characters from previous games that show back up in 3. Most of the story follows on from the books. So I’d recommend reading those if you want the full Lore experience, they’re pretty good. Although the game’s set up so that you don’t really need to, it provides enough context to understand everything

If I had read the books first I would have lost my loving mind when Regis showed up again, I loved that guy. But I only read the books because of how much I loved the game. Gamer’s Catch-22

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Anyway my GOTY is Fire Emblem: Three Houses at the moment but we’ll see what happens when I beat Death Stranding. GOTD is harder but probably either Witcher 3 or Yakuza 0

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
How did I forget Yakuza 0

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah Disco Elysium is also really good so far but I haven't beaten it yet. As for games of the decade there are too many good games to remember off the top of my head but Titanfall 1 and 2 are definitely on there

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Bastion, Portal 2, Shovel Knight, Last of Us, The Walking Dead, Spec Ops: The Line, Hotline Miami all games of teh decade.

And how can i forget Knack 2 baybee.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

staring at a burning candle thinking about all the good games this last decade has brought us while listening to enya - only time saying a quiet simple prayer for each one that has brought its light into my gaming life smiling at the portrait of Saint Iwata-sama whispering thank you

I think the real hosed up part is that the natural limitation of the human brain mean that there's surely great games that I loved dearly... but have forgotten.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Arrhythmia posted:

I think the real hosed up part is that the natural limitation of the human brain mean that there's surely great games that I loved dearly... but have forgotten.

the benefit of the games beat thread

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's a tie between Sekiro and RE2 for this year. For the decade, that's tough. Witcher 3 and Bloodborne off the top of me head.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

[whispering "Remeber" irishly like the guy on side 2 of Kate Bush's hit album hounds of love]
BioShock games are smart, ambitious shooters that take narrative seriously, which is perhaps why all of them have gone through such hellish development cycles. The first BioShock went through a big reboot and brutal crunch at developer Irrational Games. The second BioShock, which was made by a studio called 2K Marin, also put its developers through tough crunch before they moved on to the ill-fated XCOM: The Bureau. This led to 2K quietly shutting down its Marin studio (which the publisher has never acknowledged). The third game, BioShock Infinite shipped in 2013 following years of cuts and reboots. Irrational, the studio behind BioShocks 1 and 3, shut down a year later. Here’s hoping BioShock 4 has better luck.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

GOTY: Slay the Spire
GOTD: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

How did I forget Yakuza 0

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It's been a pretty good decade for games.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Decade is really hard to say, Witcher 3 or new Vegas maybe.

Actually definitely New Vegas.

My GOTY is Katana Zero.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So many good games.

Bloodborne is probably my favorite of the decade.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the one I played and liked the most this year, lord OP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Or World of Warcraft Classic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

[whispering "Remeber" irishly like the guy on side 2 of Kate Bush's hit album hounds of love]
BioShock games are smart, ambitious shooters that take narrative seriously, which is perhaps why all of them have gone through such hellish development cycles. The first BioShock went through a big reboot and brutal crunch at developer Irrational Games. The second BioShock, which was made by a studio called 2K Marin, also put its developers through tough crunch before they moved on to the ill-fated XCOM: The Bureau. This led to 2K quietly shutting down its Marin studio (which the publisher has never acknowledged). The third game, BioShock Infinite shipped in 2013 following years of cuts and reboots. Irrational, the studio behind BioShocks 1 and 3, shut down a year later. Here’s hoping BioShock 4 has better luck.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

goty was yakuza 0. game of the decade is a tie between csgo and smw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
2018 was my epic NEET year where I managed to add a bunch of stuff to my all-time favorites list, like Yakuza 0-Kiwami 2 (which I played through back to back to back) Neir Automata, Hollow Knight, Splatoon 2 etc.

This year I haven't managed to match that gaming time in quantity , but I made some great memories at Smashcon, at last played Death Stranding and it exceeded all my expectations, got a gaming PC and mostly played roguelikes on it , and finally found a fighting game I really enjoy in Tekken 7 though I'm still really bad at it, and last but not least got my first Fortnite Victory Royale. It's a good time to be a gamer :cheers:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

NightDad_420 posted:

Bastion, Portal 2, Shovel Knight, Last of Us, The Walking Dead, Spec Ops: The Line, Hotline Miami all games of teh decade.

And how can i forget Knack 2 baybee.

Kind of refreshing to see someone with a perfectly intact 2011 brain from when Gaben was king and the Steam Sale was a time of merriment.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Kind of refreshing to see someone with a perfectly intact 2011 brain from when Gaben was king and the Steam Sale was a time of merriment.

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Played a couple of great games this year but it comes down to Breath of the Wild and Dark Souls for GOTY.

BOTW This is the first open world game that clicked with me. Even before I chatted to the old man in the Temple of Time I spent like an hour just climbing things and jumping into a lake because i thought I saw the Master Sword but landing on a hidden Korok. Why isn't every open world game so full of things to do but more importantly way more fun to get around in. Just an insanely polished and smooth experience too. It was crazy to me how all the physics and mechanics could interact and everytime I'd watch a youtube video I'd see someone do something I never realised you could do. Goddamn I wanna play it again rn.

Dark Souls I've tried to get into soulsborne games a bunch of times but would eventually drift away but finally stuck with it and got to the point where I was playing obsessively each day. Honestly can't think of a gaming experience that matches the hype when I beat O&S or the incredible tension when you drop into the abyss for the first time and have no idea wtf is happening. I love the online messages from other players makes it feel like you're all in it together. Except when they trick me into hitting a real wall, this is a criminal act.

In the end gotta go with BOTW. Dark Souls had the highest of highs in gaming but it was pretty uneven and had some really bad parts. Still head and shoulders above pretty much anything else I've played but compared to BOTW comes up a bit short. Insanely hyped to work through the rest of the From catalogue though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

As for game of the decade stuff, 2012 was the first year i ever learned how to do a fireball motion in a fighting game and now i have multiple sticks and go to locals and waste afternoons sitting in practice modes for games ill never play learning bnbs. id have to give it up to Tekken 7 for being one of all the time best and one that still kicks rear end and gets updatees all the time. and under night for being my favorite to play.

Taking my first steps on this noble gamer path this year

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Game of the Year is Sekiro for me, I don't think I've ever played a game like that three times in a row before. And now it's been a few weeks I'm starting to want to go back and get that last ending. Honorable mention is Hitman 2 which maybe came out last year but I didn't play it straight away.

For the decade, there were so many incredible games that I know I'm forgetting some all-stars, but the front runners have got to be Dark Souls 1 (it's insane to me that this came out this decade) and 3, Sekiro, Breath of the Wild, Return of the Obra Dinn, Super Smash Bros 4/Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles, and The Witness.

Edit: Crusader Kings 2

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Paging Mamkute to let us know who is winning the Golden Shovel for greatest disney tie-in this year.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My GOTY is Death Stranding, followed by Sekiro. It was a really good year for games overall though, I would be remiss if I didn't mention RE2make and DMC5...

Games of the decade? Definitely Dark Souls/Bloodborne, Yakuza 0, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, Shovel Knight... I still need to finish Witcher 3 too.

Games I was pleasantly surprised by how good they were: Prey, Iconoclasts, Amid Evil, Doom 2016, Timespinner

Franchises I'm really glad I discovered recently: Phoenix Wright, Danganronpa, Devil May Cry, the Igavania-style Castlevanias, Yakuza

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love gaming

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nioh, RE2Make, Disco Elysium, and probably Witcher 3 for this gamer

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Forza horizon 4 is the first racing game that I got into enough to actually learn how to race competently and compete online, one of the best of the decade. Halo reach had the best shooter multiplayer of the decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I love gaming

It's really good.