Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

My not so secret shame, revealed :negative:

:mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Johnny's attached to the robot, is... is this the "bed" he was talking about in his "singles" ad? I don't know how to feel about this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

My not so secret shame, revealed :negative:

Look on the bright side, it was one of your best streams ever! :unsmigghh:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I made a crack earlier about the writing/voice-acting in this game being like a Saturday morning cartoon, and wow - it's really not going to get any better, is it? It's driving me up the wall. Like, I love your LPs, but I don't know if I'll be able to stomach much more of The Surge 2, I'm afraid.

I wonder what happened between games? I remember the writing in the first game being kind of clumsy and on the nose, but not this bad.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So, is there a given explanation as to why "Little Johnny" Has this huge weaponised cyber-bed? I mean where would you even find something like that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

I made a crack earlier about the writing/voice-acting in this game being like a Saturday morning cartoon, and wow - it's really not going to get any better, is it? It's driving me up the wall. Like, I love your LPs, but I don't know if I'll be able to stomach much more of The Surge 2, I'm afraid.

I wonder what happened between games? I remember the writing in the first game being kind of clumsy and on the nose, but not this bad.

I agree with the folks that have said the tonal shift was for the worse but I don't think it's so bad that it ruins the game or anything like that. All I'll say for now is that it's not going to stay like this for the whole thing. The Surge 1 is Alien, The Surge 2 is Aliens.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 8, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So it's going to be about one black single mother and her numerous children ruining the system and destroying a functioning society, before the authorities finally shrug off their delusions of easy, humanistic solutions and accept that only the nuclear option can cut it?

Semi bad faith interpretation out, honestly, it's not so much the shift in tone as the shift in quality, that blue sparkle audiolog had all the subtlety of a locomotive and the charismatic cult leader couldn't even summon habits to not sound like mister backstab.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 8, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Matriarch is a white lady, for one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SIGSEGV posted:

So it's going to be about one black single mother and her numerous children ruining the system and destroying a functioning society, before the authorities finally shrug off their delusions of easy, humanistic solutions and accept that only the nuclear option can cut it?

Semi bad faith interpretation out, honestly, it's not so much the shift in tone as the shift in quality, that blue sparkle audiolog had all the subtlety of a locomotive and the charismatic cult leader couldn't even summon habits to not sound like mister backstab.

To be fair, the first game had an audio log early on wherein a guy said, in these exact words, "we'll have to terminate him if he doesn't cut it out with that 'union' nonsense". Neither game is very subtle, but The Surge 2 I think lacks the almost invisible antagonist that is the CREO hierarchy and facility itself. The Surge 2 is a much more straightforward story and you have a whole city to explore, and therefore it doesn't have that sense of looming dread the CREO facility provided.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 8, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

"We'll have to terminate him if he keeps up with this union nonsense." is something I've heard in reality before, so that fits better, I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes subtlety is overrated. Those times generally involve giant robot crabs.

stryth posted:

Johnny's attached to the robot, is... is this the "bed" he was talking about in his "singles" ad? I don't know how to feel about this.

"Come and ride the crab, baby!" Wait no that's even worse.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kibayasu posted:

Sometimes subtlety is overrated. Those times generally involve giant robot crabs.

Remember the best MGS game is Revengence.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The whole Penny thing feels kind of under-developed. Like when I saw the signs around town and it was obvious she was going to try to make you into burgs I envisioned this cool slaughter factory boss fight, maybe warm up against her butcher henchmen, and maybe she'd come out in a monster meat suit a la Deadpool vs Bullseye. Instead the "factory" is one room in a small single floor tenement, the wraps come off her plan like 10 minutes after you find her, and then 20 minutes after you're done with the whole thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not over yet. I mean it's mostly over, but it's not over yet. There's also a little more to it if you visit her shop from the front first (where those two big dudes are hanging out past the PAX robot). But I'm not sure why you would since you have to almost intentionally avoid going in the back way in order to do that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 12, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the surge one (on steam) is £3.69 in a bundle with some other games that begin with su, like super breakout for the atari 2600, surround for the atari 2600, and some suherlock holmes thing. The wonder boy remake looks cute but doesn't begin with su. Does the s in snk stand for super?

Edit: oh no, super best wishes to cjacobs

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 17, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the surge one (on steam) is £3.69 in a bundle with some other games that begin with su, like super breakout for the atari 2600, surround for the atari 2600, and some suherlock holmes thing. The wonder boy remake looks cute but doesn't begin with su. Does the s in snk stand for super?

Buy this, it's such a great deal!! It's less than the price of a McDonald's(tm) McRib!

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1229484073107755011?s=20

You can play it while you're waiting for my let's plays to update again! :sweatdrop:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Fuckin'... fuckin' rocks, get out of there! You don't belong in a human body!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oof. Stupid non-functioning body.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that, man. Good luck.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Get better CJacobs :ohdear:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here's to hoping you get better, CJacobs! If there ever was a time to ask for morphine and poo poo, this would be it.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Hope you feel better man, and don't try rushing for anything on our account.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The kidney exists to cause immense pain and seek revenge on its owner.

Also to filter toxins and poo poo, but really mostly the pain.

Hope you feel better soon, kidney stones are hideous things. I hope they'll keep you on anti-inflammatories, the strong ones at the hospital usually help a lot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
CJacobs kidneys, hiding blood rocks.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

CJacobs stood for CalculusJacobs. Now It's CalculiJacobs.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hope you get better CJacobs. Really digging the LP. It's fun watching you nail those parries as I'm terrible at them.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Kidney stones, or pee pee pebbles,, really suck. Get well cjacbos

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The thread may be on break, but that doesn't mean the fun has to stop. The Surge 2 is part of a midweek sale on Steam. Snag it for 25 bux thru March the 13th.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Sorry to bump the thread with an off-topic question, but I was just watching CJacobs original The Surge lp. In episode 16 around the 21 minute mark, can anyone tell me what the hell song is playing in ops? 30 minutes of listening to it playing and googling lyrics has gotten me absolutely nowhere and it's driving me mad.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ this video, if anyone wants to try and figure it out. I don't recognize it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Sorry to bump the thread with an off-topic question, but I was just watching CJacobs original The Surge lp. In episode 16 around the 21 minute mark, can anyone tell me what the hell song is playing in ops? 30 minutes of listening to it playing and googling lyrics has gotten me absolutely nowhere and it's driving me mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbZulxXIJWs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry! That was back when I didn't attribute music I used in my videos. The last six or so episodes all use music of my own choosing for the ops center, because The Surge 1 has a folder where you can put custom tracks! Thanks Captain Hygiene.

By the way, I'm feeling much better now. Kidney stones, the flu, it's all gone. The LP will probably be back this coming week, hopefully here to stay. :)

edit: I went back through and attributed the rest of the music I used in the descriptions. Wonder no more!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 29, 2020

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

By the way, I'm feeling much better now. Kidney stones, the flu, it's all gone. The LP will probably be back this coming week, hopefully here to stay. :)
don't let that C ctand for Corona!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Glad to hear you're feeling better CJacobs. I just caught up with this lp yesterday, so it seems like I have perfect timing.

Thanks a bunch! It's weird, I did have the lyrics right, they just don't come up with this song.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I started watching this, got through the first video and was like you know what, I'm just going to buy this and play it myself. So I did and I am and I'm starting to realise how easy you made it look. God drat, dude

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Crane Fist posted:

I started watching this, got through the first video and was like you know what, I'm just going to buy this and play it myself. So I did and I am and I'm starting to realise how easy you made it look. God drat, dude

It's also currently available on Microsoft Gampass (XBOX and PC).

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Catzilla posted:

It's also currently available on Microsoft Gampass (XBOX and PC).

It was like 50% off on PS4 as well, seemed like the universe coming into balance to persuade me to not just play the Witcher 3 for the entire quarantine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This doesn't have anything to do with The Surge (sorry), I just wanted to share something else I've been working on in my spare time:

https://twitter.com/vnstudioelan/status/1246512863549591557?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZolTo_hOU

I'm making the trailers and doing voice/audio direction and editing for a visual novel my friends are working on! It's been a passion project of theirs for many many years and I used to be part of the writing team way back in the day, but now the first part of the Twofold VN series is getting ready for launch and I'm very happy for them. These folks are some of my closest friends and trust me when I say they really poured their hearts into making something unique and full of character. It's on Steam! It's like, a real actual product to be sold for human consumption and enjoyment! And I say sold, but it's actually going to be free!

This is just one of three-ish trailers I'm making for them, it had to be cut down to 30-ish seconds for the store page. The full trailer will be about 2 minutes long and be much... much more elaborate.

Anyway, please retweet the tweets the publisher has made about it and share it with whoever you know who likes visual novels and stuff. And wishlist it on Steam if you're interested, it helps it gain visibility in the magical Algorithm(tm) that shows games to people. Yes, I am using my thread as a platform to advertise! It's good wholesome entertainment so who cares yee haw!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 4, 2020

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you're not a dateable character then no sale :colbert:

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm joking here, not trying to be creepy (not that I have to :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately you cannot date me. It is a cute and cozy story about learning to balance friendship, college life, and budding romance. There's no room for kidney stones in a story like that!