Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Three Stooges noises

Why I oughta!!

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 21, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 21, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey!! Get rid of those spoilers!! And the way I phrased it in the OP was so polite, too...

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 21, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's old man Jacobs! scatter!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Get rid of em!! Shoo!! Shoo you lousy kids!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But actually please do edit them out, this is stuff we're not gonna see for like 20 episodes, come on guys you should know better.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I just want that cool staff thing the Spark guys have, it's a neat design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can respond to that now at least! As I mentioned in the most recent video, you can merc Brother Truman as soon as you walk out of the JCPD if you think you're tough enough and if you cut off his arm you can have the staff so much earlier than normal. Seriously, we're not gonna get another chance to get that thing for maybe half the game. And I didn't chat him up, but you even get a convenient justification for attacking him at that point if you bother to return! You can tell him Brother Eli betrayed you and you killed him, and he uh... doesn't believe the former, but totally believes the latter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Next video is coming probably tomorrow! But in the meantime...

Happy 5 year anniversary of that time Carver ruined fuckin everything like a big stupid dumbass

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Altman be praised

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ALTMAN BE PRAISED!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trance will never die!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kyle Baxter owns and I admire his dedication to not giving up the power pose during that entire scene. How long has he been standing there?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"Maybe that's why the world is suffering; because no-one is taking the apocalypse seriously."

Gee, I wonder what that must be like; living in a world like that. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Surge 2 was prophetic in all the right-wrong ways!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So what I'm learning here is that I missed a good 50% of the dialogue and quests in Cloud 9. I was in and out in less than ten minutes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Antistar01 posted:

"Maybe that's why the world is suffering; because no-one is taking the apocalypse seriously."

Gee, I wonder what that must be like; living in a world like that. :v:

Sounds cray-cray ay-eff!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm not good with the parry but I do find the direction implant useful to tell me to dodge.

I'm playing on mid-level PC and I can't not get this game to look like fried rear end. Either the aliasing is weird or the color-balance is off.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 13, 2020

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

How long has he been standing there?

Thirty-five years.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm not good with the parry but I do find the direction implant useful to tell me to dodge.

I'm playing on mid-level PC and I can't not get this game to look like fried rear end. Either the aliasing is weird or the color-balance is off.

The anti aliasing in both Surge games isn't very good, and it's actually kind of broken in this one. TAA causes pretty bad ghosting and the other AA option seems to do very little. I recommend turning AA off in the game options and injecting your own with a program like SweetFX or Nvidia's official Inspector program.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose if there's always going to be a cannibal it might as well be the one that likes you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's a pretty uncommon name.

Sorry I've been absent lately, my health problems are getting worse so I've been taking some time off to pursue a solution. The LP is resuming now! Just in case SA explodes soon as some are suspecting it might, you can find me on Twitter for LP updates.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 25, 2020

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Cervantes was a huge stumbling block for me, he's really the first "hope you got gud" boss IMO. And Gideon's Rock is a great place to play the online game of hiding a flag for people to find. Just stick it off the beaten path in some bushes and reap the rewards.

Hope you're feeling better, I'm waiting for you to get to a certain boss later on where I got stuck - hopefully I'll get some ideas from you on how to beat him then I can reinstall.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Interestingly, I didn't have a problem with Cervantes at all. I died my first time because I went in with gently caress all health and injectables, but did it pretty easily on round 2. He's one of those bosses that really punishes caution and encourages aggression. I didn't know you could get the shotgun though woah.

I do feel like the tanking style is a decent idea if you're struggling at this stage. The disadvantages to heavy armour aren't that big and the defensive boost is absolutely noticeable going from a lighter armour to something huge. I don't know what the Scarab 3/6 bonus is (not that having full battery is something that you're likely to have consistently), but my pick at this stage was the Gaia set. It's really easily farmable ten seconds from that medbay and has some really hefty numbers over the available alternatives. Also you can pick up their spear while you're at it, which is cool as hell and the weapon I mained for like the next third of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah in retrospect I think I was a bit too hard on tanking because it's just not how I play these types of games. It is viable, especially if you mainline the blocking/directional parry implants. There are several that boost your defense or attack after a successful block or parry, and the heavier weapon classes have a slower parry but with huge parry frame windows, so those plus some defensive armor equals meat wall.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

Cervantes was a huge stumbling block for me, he's really the first "hope you got gud" boss IMO. And Gideon's Rock is a great place to play the online game of hiding a flag for people to find. Just stick it off the beaten path in some bushes and reap the rewards.

Hope you're feeling better, I'm waiting for you to get to a certain boss later on where I got stuck - hopefully I'll get some ideas from you on how to beat him then I can reinstall.

Cervantes is actually the first boss I had no trouble with- it took me hours to beat Johnny and then I blew through Cervantes on my first try. I think it depends how you go at it- I was using the AID nightfall armour which restores health when you fill a battery and all my implants were centered around gaining energy from EVERYTHING so I was gaining health faster than he could knock it off. Works great against bosses who throw lots of small, fast hits like him and means you die immediately against anything that just hits big, like the next boss coming up

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Servantes from Guneon has numerous bullets to pick with the OP. :toughguy:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Those Gaia bots are kick-rear end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's probably just the nanites I'm seeing but do those robots have like feathers or bark or something attached to them?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
From what I see, the Gaia-bots appear to be disguised as statues when at rest or on standby. But when they become active, they expand into what CJacobs fights.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, we'll get some lore on the GAIA robots direct from the game in the next video, but I wasn't joking, they really are park security. Which is a hell of a thing to consider at first because they fire lasers out of their heads and have flaming spears and energy shields, but then you gotta remember the buckwild universe this game takes place in.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a shame the armour you get from the robots is rubbish because it looks fuckin boss

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You can hope we're watching in 4k all you want, but I'm here to tell you The Surge 2 looks just fine is 1366x768 :v:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Oh boy, I binged the last LP in the archives, and the sequel's looking pretty good so far. The Surge looks like the only Dark Souls-style game I'd genuinely want to play, if your pals at Deck13 ever released it on the Switch (my computer's a little too old to run anything too fancy). So, one thing I've been wondering since the first LP is how different weapons within the same category really play, outside of element-infused gimmick weapons. Like, we've seen several variations on "giant two-handed blunt object" in assorted shapes and sizes, and I'm wondering how significant the differences are between them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh boy, I binged the last LP in the archives, and the sequel's looking pretty good so far. The Surge looks like the only Dark Souls-style game I'd genuinely want to play, if your pals at Deck13 ever released it on the Switch (my computer's a little too old to run anything too fancy). So, one thing I've been wondering since the first LP is how different weapons within the same category really play, outside of element-infused gimmick weapons. Like, we've seen several variations on "giant two-handed blunt object" in assorted shapes and sizes, and I'm wondering how significant the differences are between them.

Every weapon in a single category has the same attacks. They vary in stamina use, attack speed and any environmental effects like fire or nano damage but the basic moveset is the same. There's a bunch of different categories though, and they're all useful except for single-rigged ones which are universally rear end

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Two more repellers to go! Time for me n' Phil to delve deep into the forest and drive out the beast. Featuring hundreds and hundreds of cameos by the office's most dead meme, and yet most handsome stone!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shoutout to several-months-ago CJacobs some 3 minutes in when I mention that I post one video per week. You go, buddy! Way to stay optimistic!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
This video was the perfect balm for my anxious brain. The comedic banter between you and Phil really helped bring me down after a night of straight nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mecha-crab and mecha-lizard? I'm sensing a theme that hopefully continues.

There were some neat transformations between phases too. If you're familiar with video games its a good indication of what kind of thing you're about to be fighting.