Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

pretend this is a really good effortpost about desserts but:

I wanna see your holiday cookies, your sweet meats, your breads of great comfort and joy! Share your recipes, I'll share mine and we'll all be able to gain the holiday 15 together, as a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain

by Reene
RICOTTA MASCARPONE CHEESECAKE

yield: SERVES 8 - 10

prep time: 30 MINUTES

cook time: 2 HOURS

INGREDIENTS

2 Pounds Ricotta Cheese

1 Pound Mascarpone Cheese

1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar

6 Large Eggs

2 Large Egg Yolks

Zest From 1 Large Lemon

Powdered Sugar

Topping:

Blackberries and strawberries, mashed into a compote. Or a jam of your choice (I like lemon curd).

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Generously butter a 9 inch spring-form pan, then cover bottom and sides with aluminum foil.

Place spring-form pan into a larger casserole dish and pour in enough water to come up the sides of the spring-form pan by 1 inch.

Using a mixer, beat together the ricotta, mascarpone and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time beating between each.

Add the lemon zest and Fiori di Sicilia (or extracts) and mix until blended.

Pour the batter into your prepared spring-form pan and bake for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Turn the oven off, and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for another 30 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven and let cool to room temperature.

Use a sharp knife to help loosen the sides of the cheesecake from the pan and place on a plate.

Refrigerate the cheesecake for several hours before serving. Just before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 12, 2019

City of Glompton

here is the recipe for the extremely tasty caramel corn (known as 'The Corn') that i make many many many batches of this time of the year:

Ingredients:

4 quarts popped corn (air pop or you can use those unflavored puffs if you can find them, like these http://olddutch.bobsproduce.com/puffcorncurls.aspx)
1 C. dark brown sugar (C&H brand is best)
2/3 C. light corn syrup (I use Karo)
1 stick butter (or margarine I guess if you have to)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 250

Put popcorn in a roasting pan (I use a turkey roasting pan). For extra niceness, if you airpop the corn, move it from a bowl to the roasting pan so the duds get left behind. Set this aside.

Set the 1/2 tsp baking soda aside

In a heavy skillet (I use a large cast iron pan) add your brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt. Cook on high heat until it comes to a rolling boil, stirring constantly with a whisk.

Take it off the hot burner and add the baking soda, mixing thoroughly. The mixture will expand and the bubbles will get tiny. Return to heat and return to a boil

Pour over popcorn and use a wooden spoon to gently stir so the popcorn is evenly coated.

Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure caramel evenly coats the corn.

Spread on parchment paper and cool, enjoy.

e: i made some tonight

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 18, 2019

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm making cheesecake and caramel puffs this weekend, yessssss

Manifisto

I would really like to just quote the original recipe by velvet sparrow but weirdly I can't find it, google can usually locate stuff like this. so I am using the recipe I saved, which might not be verbatim what she posted.

anyway, in some gbs xmas thread some years ago, velvet sparrow posted a recipe for rum balls/brandy balls. I tried them, liked them enough to make for my family who liked them too. haven't made them in some years but maybe this year I'll need to do this again!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Growing up, we called these “Rum Balls,” my mother wrote out the recipe for me and she titled it “Brandy Balls,” I used bourbon today. So go with the hard liquor of your choice. Something about the combination of the liquor, the cocoa, vanilla and walnut flavors make these amazing.

Mix together:
  • 2½ Cups (about 60 wafers, or 1 Box) vanilla wafers, crushed fine
  • 1 Cup sifted powdered (confectioner's) sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

Add:
  • ½ Cup finely chopped walnuts

Stir in:
  • ¼ Cup Brandy (or rum, bourbon, whatever)
  • ¼ Cup light corn syrup

You can add in a bit of water (about 1½ teaspoons) if needed to form mixture into 3/4 inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar, store in tightly covered container. Makes about 2-3 dozen depending on size. Best if aged 2-3 days, if you can keexp them around that long.

ty nesamdoom!

Mr. Dick

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick only ever bakes one thing.

1 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup almond flour

1 egg

+/- 6 tablespoons pot butter or oil

2 tablespoons milk

Cardamon, maybe almond extract

Heat oven to 400 F

Bake 6-8 minutes

They taste o.k., keep in the freezer for a basically indefinite length of time and are chewy enough to easily tear into "measured" doses. Cardamon accentuates the weed flavor rather than masks it, so it might not be everyone's thing.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

once i lived in a big house, with many utensils and appliances. i would bake fantastic things i could not pronounce the names of, rarely the same one twice. those recipes have been lost in time, like tears in the rain

only one recipe remains

simple, pure, and true it has stood the test of time. untold millions of fatty bong rips crashing on the shores of my consciousness have been unable to erode it in the slightest, and i will recite it from heart for you here today. it's pretty much the one on the chocolate chip bag, i will highlight the parts that are secrets

Regular-rear end Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks butter
3/4 cups each white and brown sugar (inclusive)
2 eggs
Splash of vanilla

all get mixed up. then you mix in

3/4 cups white flour (problematic)
1tsp baking soda
~1/2tsp salt aka a "hearty dash"
Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg or w/e, pie spice

then mix in 1.5 cups whole wheat flour. if you have the 3/4 cup scooper it's 2 of this and one of the white flour earlier and it's the same one as for measuring the sugar. neat huh? oh yeah stir in a bag of chocolate chips and as many nuts as you want, whatever kind is fine. i like a lot and my nut tier list for this is almonds>pecans>walnuts>peanuts. those are all i have tried

oh yeah. the parts that are "secret" are there are two eggs instead of one, a bunch of the flour is whole wheat, and there's pie spice and vanilla. and that you only need the 3/4 measure. sneaky

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

owlhawk911

the butter can ofc be weed butter, if that's still chill in your situation. another secret: you can put weed in *anything*. literally anything, and according to my calculations cheesecake can hold the most weed at almost 5 ounces per typical non "healthy" ~9" cheesecake. 1g would be like a lil sugar cube bite served on a toothpick

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

the butter can ofc be weed butter, if that's still chill in your situation. another secret: you can put weed in *anything*. literally anything, and according to my calculations cheesecake can hold the most weed at almost 5 ounces per typical non "healthy" ~9" cheesecake. 1g would be like a lil sugar cube bite served on a toothpick

hmmm I have always wondered about this, making edibles taste really good seems like it could have a built in problem

like would you be better off making edibles taste tolerable but not by any means delicious

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

Manifisto posted:

hmmm I have always wondered about this, making edibles taste really good seems like it could have a built in problem

like would you be better off making edibles taste tolerable but not by any means delicious

the trick is to make a "decoy batch" so there's one to eat to get wrecked and one to eat just cause it tastes good

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I always do this Charlotte russe for dessert after christmas dinner and gosh is it so good.
First we're gonna need some ladyfingats. You can buy them, but they're super easy to make and delicious!
Preheat oven to 400F
Make a basic genoise batter:
Separate 3 eggs. Beat yolks with 1/4 c sugar until pale yellow and form a ribbon when dripped from the beater. Add a splash of vanilla and maybe almond extract to the yolks. Beat whites with 1/4c sugar and a dash of cream of tartar to stiff peaks. Fold together the beaten yolks and whites while sifting over 1/2c flour. Put in pastry bag with 3/4" round tip. Pipe out in rows ~5?" long, with ladyfingats 1/4" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Dust with powdered sugar, and bake at 400 for ~12 min until puffed and pale brown.

Okay that was easy but you deserve a snack so munch a couple of those things!

Now we've got to make the filling, which is basically gelatinized whipped cream and custard and is A++ delicious.
We gonna need:
1.5C milk or 1/2 &1/2
1.5 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 egg yolks
3/4c sugar
4c whipping cream
1.5 tsp vanilla
2TBSP cognac or rum

Pour 1/4c milk over the gelatin in a small bowl and set aside. Heat remainder of milk to steaming. Beat egg yolks and all but 2 Tbsp sugar together. Pour a few tbsp of heated milk over gelatin/milk mixture, and set bowl of gelatin in a dish of warm water. Add the remainder of the hot milk to the egg yolks and sugar, and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Add gelatin mixture to custard and strain into a metal bowl. Place this mixture in the fridge, stirring occasionally. Or dunk the bowl in a bigger bowl of ice water and stir-you need to cool the mixture until the gelatin is just starting to set around he edges. 5-10 min with an ice bath in the fridge. Add vanilla and cognac. Line serving vessel ( A tallish skinnyish bowl is good like a pudding basin or a trifle bowl. Or just a mixing bowl} with lady fingers. Whip 3c of the cream with 2 TBSP sugar, but do not whip too stiffly. Fold whipped cream into custard mixture and add this mixture to the lined vessel. Refrigerate at least a few hours until the gelatin sets, can be done a day ahead. Before serving, whip remaining 1c of cream with sugar to pipe on as decoration (also helps prop the ladyfingers up if any of them got soggy and fell over). Decorate with whatever you want. I use rasberries and a 'Professor Sargent' camellia bloom because they bloom at christmas and are crimma colors.'

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

alnilam

:eyepop:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I always do this Charlotte russe for dessert after christmas dinner and gosh is it so good.
First we're gonna need some ladyfingats. You can buy them, but they're super easy to make and delicious!
Preheat oven to 400F
Make a basic genoise batter:
Separate 3 eggs. Beat yolks with 1/4 c sugar until pale yellow and form a ribbon when dripped from the beater. Add a splash of vanilla and maybe almond extract to the yolks. Beat whites with 1/4c sugar and a dash of cream of tartar to stiff peaks. Fold together the beaten yolks and whites while sifting over 1/2c flour. Put in pastry bag with 3/4" round tip. Pipe out in rows ~5?" long, with ladyfingats 1/4" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Dust with powdered sugar, and bake at 400 for ~12 min until puffed and pale brown.

Okay that was easy but you deserve a snack so munch a couple of those things!

Now we've got to make the filling, which is basically gelatinized whipped cream and custard and is A++ delicious.
We gonna need:
1.5C milk or 1/2 &1/2
1.5 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 egg yolks
3/4c sugar
4c whipping cream
1.5 tsp vanilla
2TBSP cognac or rum

Pour 1/4c milk over the gelatin in a small bowl and set aside. Heat remainder of milk to steaming. Beat egg yolks and all but 2 Tbsp sugar together. Pour a few tbsp of heated milk over gelatin/milk mixture, and set bowl of gelatin in a dish of warm water. Add the remainder of the hot milk to the egg yolks and sugar, and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Add gelatin mixture to custard and strain into a metal bowl. Place this mixture in the fridge, stirring occasionally. Or dunk the bowl in a bigger bowl of ice water and stir-you need to cool the mixture until the gelatin is just starting to set around he edges. 5-10 min with an ice bath in the fridge. Add vanilla and cognac. Line serving vessel ( A tallish skinnyish bowl is good like a pudding basin or a trifle bowl. Or just a mixing bowl} with lady fingers. Whip 3c of the cream with 2 TBSP sugar, but do not whip too stiffly. Fold whipped cream into custard mixture and add this mixture to the lined vessel. Refrigerate at least a few hours until the gelatin sets, can be done a day ahead. Before serving, whip remaining 1c of cream with sugar to pipe on as decoration (also helps prop the ladyfingers up if any of them got soggy and fell over). Decorate with whatever you want. I use rasberries and a 'Professor Sargent' camellia bloom because they bloom at christmas and are crimma colors.'

Holy poo poo this is beautiful

nut

goddamn excuse me

FutonForensic

poo poo and i thought my cookies looked good

treasure bear

every year i make a gingersnap banana cream log and it's 1970s as hell but it tastes so good

nut

i usually don't make anything and instead celebrate the holidays as a drain on my loved ones but maybe

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

treasure bear posted:

every year i make a gingersnap banana cream log and it's 1970s as hell but it tastes so good

You don't waltz in here and talk this way without further elaborating with a how to.

Is the fine dining thread still around? i cant seem to locate it.

Queen-Of-Hearts fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 18, 2019

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

owlhawk911

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

You don't waltz in here and talk this way without further elaborating with a how to.

Is the fine dining thread still around? i cant seem to locate it.

i searched "fine" on the front page because i love you

Queen-Of-Hearts

Aww thank you i heart you too, friend

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Lowest effort post ever. I am having Christmas dinner with my daughter, my stepson-to-be, and his girlfriend. Sadly my partner is working a double shift on Christmas. I'm getting a Costco pie for Christmas dessert. Low effort and I suck.

City of Glompton

you def do not suck and i'm pretty sure costco makes delicious pies. ain't nothin wrong with that.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Queen-Of-Hearts

Bacon Taco posted:

Lowest effort post ever. I am having Christmas dinner with my daughter, my stepson-to-be, and his girlfriend. Sadly my partner is working a double shift on Christmas. I'm getting a Costco pie for Christmas dessert. Low effort and I suck.

Costco pie is better than no pie. Any togetherness you can get with loved ones and loved ones to be is whats important.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bacon Taco posted:

You don't suck at all. Costco pies are loving phenomenal.

Bacon Taco

HAIKOOLIGAN

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Costco pie is better than no pie. Any togetherness you can get with loved ones and loved ones to be is whats important.

Thanks everyone! It will be an awesome Christmas dinner and perhaps next year I will make dessert.

owlhawk911

Bacon Taco posted:

Thanks everyone! It will be an awesome Christmas dinner and perhaps next year I will make dessert.

man if making your own dessert is something you'd be happy about there's still like a week and i believe in you. there are some really dang easy desserts it's way easier than actually cooking, people will p much like it as long as it's sweet. don't be intimidated by stuff like those glorious ladyfingers (charlotte russe? i can't even *say* that), look at those rum balls. there's nothing wrong with a store pie and you don't suck, but you can do this if you want to

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Manifisto posted:

I would really like to just quote the original recipe by velvet sparrow but weirdly I can't find it, google can usually locate stuff like this. so I am using the recipe I saved, which might not be verbatim what she posted.

anyway, in some gbs xmas thread some years ago, velvet sparrow posted a recipe for rum balls/brandy balls. I tried them, liked them enough to make for my family who liked them too. haven't made them in some years but maybe this year I'll need to do this again!

are the vanilla wafers those tiny muffin-tops known as Nilla wafers or are we talking these crispy shutterstock bad boys?

Manifisto

Olive! posted:

are the vanilla wafers those tiny muffin-tops known as Nilla wafers or are we talking these crispy shutterstock bad boys?

ya it's the nilla wafers or equivalent. bake your own if you want to be fancy I guess, although I wonder whether the difference would be detectable.

ty nesamdoom!

Bacon Taco

HAIKOOLIGAN

owlhawk911 posted:

man if making your own dessert is something you'd be happy about there's still like a week and i believe in you. there are some really dang easy desserts it's way easier than actually cooking, people will p much like it as long as it's sweet. don't be intimidated by stuff like those glorious ladyfingers (charlotte russe? i can't even *say* that), look at those rum balls. there's nothing wrong with a store pie and you don't suck, but you can do this if you want to

Mmm rum balls...

Bacon Taco

HAIKOOLIGAN
FYI fellow yobbers, while I won't be baking my own dessert for Christmas dinner, my daughter and I will be doing some light baking later this week, and it will be super fun. Thanks for the encouragement!

Merry Christmas to BYOB and to all a good night!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm making rolls:

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast

2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg, room temperature

1/4 cup butter, melted

2 teaspoons salt

6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Mix your yeast and water and sugar; let it bloom for ten minutes. Beat in your egg and melted butter. Sift your flour and salt together; add your dough hook on the mixer if you have one and slowly add the flour/salt mixture in four batches so it blends. Let it knead for about ten minutes on medium speed.

Turn it out into an oiled bowl, and raise it for thirty minutes or until it's doubled. Punch it down, ball it into even balls and tuck it into an oiled pan. Raise them until doubled, then bake off at 350F until browned and done.

If you want cinnamon rolls, follow the same directions until punching down. Roll that sumbitch out, spread with butter and cinnamon and sugar to taste, roll and cut into rounds. Raise until doubled and bake as directed, then frost with cream cheese buttercream.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
bark!

it's super easy. we use Ghirardelli white and dark chocolate melts. the white one is roasted pistachio, dried apricot, and craisin. the dark chocolate is Heath bar toffee. there's also a few of the cashew clusters, and rocky road (walnut and marahmallow) in the pic

melt the chocolate in the mocrowave, spread on parchment over a large cookie sheet, sprinkle goodies, cool in fridge 30 min. break into shards, making sure to make plenty of pieces too small to give away son you have to eat them.

owlhawk911

Hugh Malone posted:

bark!

it's super easy. we use Ghirardelli white and dark chocolate melts. the white one is roasted pistachio, dried apricot, and craisin. the dark chocolate is Heath bar toffee. there's also a few of the cashew clusters, and rocky road (walnut and marahmallow) in the pic

melt the chocolate in the mocrowave, spread on parchment over a large cookie sheet, sprinkle goodies, cool in fridge 30 min. break into shards, making sure to make plenty of pieces too small to give away son you have to eat them.

woof. looks delicious :)

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
thank you! and it's so frickin easy!

Crypto Cobain

by Reene

Hugh Malone posted:

melt the chocolate in the microwave
Whoa what? Never do this!!! This ruins chocolate! It must be melted in a double boiler or makeshift version of one (smaller pot floating in larger pot of water).

If you absolutely must melt chocolate in a microwave (you don't own a stove or hotplate), do it in a glass bowl using 30-second heating intervals and stir and let cool between each interval.

But yeah the dark chocolate with toffee is extremely my poo poo and sounds real drat good.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 25, 2019

owlhawk911

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Whoa what? Never do this!!! This ruins chocolate! It must be melted in a double boiler or makeshift version of one (smaller pot floating in larger pot of water).

If you absolutely must melt chocolate in a microwave (you don't own a stove or hotplate), do it in a glass bowl using 30-second heating intervals and stir and let cool between each interval.

But yeah the dark chocolate with toffee is extremely my poo poo and sounds real drat good.

must this, absolutely that, never the other... have you learned nothing from our time together?

Crypto Cobain

by Reene

owlhawk911 posted:

must this, absolutely that, never the other... have you learned nothing from our time together?
I'm sorry, you're right... that post was extremely lacking in chill. I'll try to do better in the future. Please understand I'm a long time chocolate fanatic and my passion for it sometimes overcomes my better sense of chill.

Crypto Cobain

by Reene
Coffee Chocolate Truffles

Cook's Notes: We tried this recipe with both 60 percent dark and good-quality milk chocolate. The dark chocolate produced an intensely flavored bonbon that is lactose-free and is guaranteed to be a black-coffee and dark-chocolate addict's dream. Those who prefer their coffee with cream and their chocolate with less bite would like the milk chocolate version better. Reduce the amount of coffee by one third if using milk chocolate.

Yield: about 14 one-inch truffles

Ingredients
7 oz. (200g) dark chocolate (chopped fine)
1/3 cup (75ml) coffee or espresso, depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor (or 1 tbsp. and 2 tsps. if using milk chocolate)
1/2 tbsp. salted or unsalted butter (optional)
1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened cocoa for rolling the truffles

Method
Place finely chopped chocolate into a high-sided bowl or the bowl of a blender. Place coffee in a saucepan over medium heat until hot but not simmering; remove the pan from the heat. Or microwave coffee in a cup for 30 seconds.
Pour hot coffee over chocolate and blend in blender or in bowl with hand-held immersion blender. Or stir with a sturdy whisk, spatula or wooden spoon until you achieve a smooth consistency.

Add butter, if desired, and stir into the mixture until very smooth consistency is reached. Make sure all chocolate lumps are melted. Let stand at room temperature for one to two hours until ganache has set and is firm.

Scrape spoon or melon-ball cutter across surface of mixture. Dust hands with cocoa and quickly press truffle with fingertips into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls. Drop the balls into the cocoa and roll until well coated. Place on Silpat, waxed paper or parchment paper to set for several hours. Store truffles in the refrigerator in and air-tight plastic container or bag for 1 week or freeze, triple wrapped, in freezer bags for 1-2 months.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Fleetwood Crack posted:

haha it's cool, it's the microwave melts. they're made for microwavin. v.easy to work with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain

by Reene

Hugh Malone posted:

haha it's cool, it's the microwave melts. they're made for microwavin. v.easy to work with
Oh poo poo okay cool, I didn't even know that was a thing! Again my apologies for the lack of chill.